Controversial opinions about other movies

Comments

• edited January 2018 Posts: 17,281
    The Spectre title sequence made me think about the scene from Bullshot (1983), where Bullshot Crummond fights the kraken-like octopus. Made me laugh at the cinema!
    Did anybody consider maybe it's the themes lacking rather than the title sequences themselves? I rather like them, especially when I think back to how tired most of Binder's title sequences got in the '80s what with blondes smiling in giant champagne glasses, girls swirling around doing rhythmic gymnastics often with water, water everywhere, guns everywhere and LTK's photo and camera motifs that have nothing to do with the film itself.

Sheena Easton's appearance in the FYEO pretitles was big at the time, but now it just looks awkward. True Binder didn't have CGI to his advantage, but there was such a feel of going through the motions with many of them from back then. It at least feel like Kleinman tries to incorporate some of the films' content in addition to the girls and motifs.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I never like the Mission Impossible films either.
    Jason Bourne wasn't terrible but they should've ended it with Ultimatum. It was a perfect ending. And that Bourne's father being part of Treadstone subplot was almost as bad as the Oberhauser shit in SP.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    ToTheRight wrote: »

In other controversial opinions, I tend to sometimes prefer the Studio final cut of well beloved movies as opposed to the director's cut.
    For instance I like the voice over narrated BLADE RUNNER more than the 1992 or whatever version and the Final Cut.

Far more controversial, I actually prefer the Universal Studios cut of TOUCH OF EVIL with the opening credits over the late 1990's restored version. Welle's vision was certainly far ahead of it's time, though as most movies now save their titles until the end.
    The Studio version of Justice League was by all accounts way more palatable than it would otherwise have been.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,000
    Mod Edit

I agree 100%.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Mod Edit

I agree 100%.[/quote]Harsh.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited August 2018 Posts: 2,730
    Mod Edit

Blimey, it must be your time of the month![/quote]

Ah come on mate
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,000
    bondjames wrote: »
    Jason Bourne is shit
    Mission impossible films are boring and shit

I agree 100%.
    Harsh.

I'd tell everyone my thoughts on that smug, arrogant, Scientology brainwashed, moron Tom Cruz, but the forum doesn't allow that much cursing. He sucks as an actor; never seems like a real person, I'll say that much.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Jason Bourne is shit
    Mission impossible films are boring and shit

I agree 100%.
    Harsh.

I'd tell everyone my thoughts on that smug, arrogant, Scientology brainwashed, moron Tom Cruz, but the forum doesn't allow that much cursing.
    Ouch. Well, I don't have an opinion on his personal life but I'm glad we have the MI and Bourne series. They've given me hours of continued great entertainment over the years.
    The first X files movie was a mediocre episode from the show felt no so much as a movie.

The second X files movie felt like a comeback that was kinda nice as it showed Scully and Mulder beyond the x files and they really showed that they still had it in them.

I am generally not a fan of movies after the series but the 2nd X files movie and the movie Serenity shows you can actually do a continuation that is worth your while.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The first X files movie was a mediocre episode from the show felt no so much as a movie.

The second X files movie felt like a comeback that was kinda nice as it showed Scully and Mulder beyond the x files and they really showed that they still had it in them.

I am generally not a fan of movies after the series but the 2nd X files movie and the movie Serenity shows you can actually do a continuation that is worth your while.

I've never seen a single episode of this show past the promo, yet I totally watched one of these movies several years ago, and I don't recall why. Can't remember anything past it either, but I recall it being dark out a lot and taking place in a snowy location. Dunno if that narrows it down whatsoever or not.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »

I've never seen a single episode of this show past the promo, yet I totally watched one of these movies several years ago, and I don't recall why. Can't remember anything past it either, but I recall it being dark out a lot and taking place in a snowy location. Dunno if that narrows it down whatsoever or not.

Both X files movies were actually snow situated one on one of the poles and the other one in the winter in in Virginia
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Were there bees in it?
    Not in second one I believe.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Controversial? Return Of The Jedi was GREAT, despite the Teddy bears not blinking (which was fixed in the Blu Rays).
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Controversial? Return Of The Jedi was GREAT, despite the Teddy bears not blinking (which was fixed in the Blu Rays).

My fav of the series
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,786
    In its entiterity never been much of a Star Wars fan, though I’ll admit even I enjoyed the original trilogy.

Haven’t seen anything since Revenge of the Sith, should I?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    In its entiterity never been much of a Star Wars fan, though I’ll admit even I enjoyed the original trilogy.

Haven’t seen anything since Revenge of the Sith, should I?

Yes.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Oceans 13 is not only my favorite/best of the series but one of my favorite movies of all time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That s controversial. All of those are pretty unmemorable.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I enjoy all of them for the most part
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's a great trilogy. Twelve is my favourite and one of my favourite movies.
    12 is my least favorite of the three but still enjoyable for me.
    Looking forward to Oceans 8 though.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,837
    JMod Edit

I think the first three Bourne movies are brilliant and still hold up really well. Legacy I enjoyed, wasn't as good but had its moments. The last one felt a bit tired in some ways but again it had some good bits and I enjoyed watching it because it was cool seeing Damon back. I'd really like another one but I hope they move away from the whole Bourne vs Treadstone but not really Treadstone but it is basically still Treadstone plots. Having the character is enough to make it a Bourne movie, put him in new situations against new bad guys. I get that they want to make it topical but there are other issues they could tackle. Overall though I'm still a big fan.

MI has always been hit and miss for me, but I always enjoyed watching them because they at least seemed to try something different every time. Until the last one which I really wasn't much for. If Ghost Protocol was TSWLM (fun, fresh, exciting) then Rogue Nation was MR (boring, didn't understand that what made the last one so good was how fresh it felt). The next one seems promising from what I've read about it though, I'll end up watching it at some point.

Outside of Bond I think Kingsman is owning the spy genre for me at the minute. The second one really surprised me, wasn't expecting much at all based off the trailers but I found it almost as good as the first.
    I loved the 2nd Kingsman as well. Just as much as the first.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I liked both Kingsman films very much but I think the first one was far superior.

RE: MI-GP: I'm always reminded of TSWLM when I view that film. It's in the scale and audacity of the threat.

RE: MI-RN: For me this one is much more like a John Glen Bond entry. Tremendous action, interesting characters and relentless pace. It's a more intimate and down to earth entry compared to its immediate predecessor, which is more epic.
    Have yet to see any of the Kingsman films. Have a copy of, and actually watched halfway through the first, but got distracted by something (don't remember what), and never finished it. Now it's in a shelf or a box.

Have anyone read the comic book it's based upon, The Secret Service? Worth reading before giving the (rest of the) movie a second go?
    Have yet to see any of the Kingsman films. Have a copy of, and actually watched halfway through the first, but got distracted by something (don't remember what), and never finished it. Now it's in a shelf or a box.

Have anyone read the comic book it's based upon, The Secret Service? Worth reading before giving the (rest of the) movie a second go?

As a bond fan you’ll probably like it. Go in expecting a Roger Moore film on drugs and you’ll have a lot of fun.

As a bond fan you’ll probably like it. Go in expecting a Roger Moore film on drugs and you’ll have a lot of fun.

Nice! I'll give it another go soon, I think. How good is the second one?