Controversial opinions about other movies

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,401
    Have yet to see any of the Kingsman films. Have a copy of, and actually watched halfway through the first, but got distracted by something (don't remember what), and never finished it. Now it's in a shelf or a box.

Have anyone read the comic book it's based upon, The Secret Service? Worth reading before giving the (rest of the) movie a second go?

As a bond fan you’ll probably like it. Go in expecting a Roger Moore film on drugs and you’ll have a lot of fun.

Nice! I'll give it another go soon, I think. How good is the second one?

Mixed. I enjoyed the second one, as much or just slightly less as the first. Either you'll love it or hate it. It does try to outdo the first one. But honestly, with how the first one plays out, I couldn't think of another way to have a sequel play out.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Have yet to see any of the Kingsman films. Have a copy of, and actually watched halfway through the first, but got distracted by something (don't remember what), and never finished it. Now it's in a shelf or a box.

Have anyone read the comic book it's based upon, The Secret Service? Worth reading before giving the (rest of the) movie a second go?

As a bond fan you’ll probably like it. Go in expecting a Roger Moore film on drugs and you’ll have a lot of fun.

I think it’s awesome. It takes everything good in the first one and amps it up even more. I prefer it to the first
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,267

Mixed. I enjoyed the second one, as much or just slightly less as the first. Either you'll love it or hate it. It does try to outdo the first one. But honestly, with how the first one plays out, I couldn't think of another way to have a sequel play out.

I see. Looks like the typical way of doing a sequel, then. Not that it's a bad thing. If I like the first one, I'll check it out!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I thought Kingsman 2 was a pile of crap.

A fat Elton John doing kung fu just about summed up this CGI filled abomination.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I thought Kingsman 2 was a pile of crap.

A fat Elton John doing kung fu just about summed up this CGI filled abomination.

I didn't bother watching it as Mathew Vaughn still seems pissed he didnt get the CR gig; his efforts to show he is cooler than Bond rub me the wrong way during the first film.

My opinion, of course.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 7,500
    I think both Kingsman films were utter crap to be honest... Embarrassing, vulgar humor, ridiculous stories... Even the great Samuel Jackson turned out boring and looked uninspired...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Best thing about them was Jack Davenport's brief performance.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Davenport was excellent no doubt and that whole Valentine intro scene still gives me the chills, not least because of Jackman's masterful score.

There's a lot to like in the first one. Great film.

The second one is entertaining enough, but didn't move the needle one bit. All in all, it's a bit forgettable overall.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,401
    I feel that they went a little overkill with the second one, especially with the whole robot dogs, robotic arms and laser lassos. However, I did enjoy the ending action scene in the second over the first.
    I feel that they went a little overkill with the second one, especially with the whole robot dogs, robotic arms and laser lassos. However, I did enjoy the ending action scene in the second over the first.
    I agree that they sort of overdid it. Entertaining film, but not as memorable. I wish there was more of Julianne Moore's Poppy in it. I loved every minute of her on the screen hamming it up.
    I enjoyed her performance as well. I loved her 1950s esque lair in the jungle
    Looks like there's some divided opinion of the Kingsman films…
    They're not for everyone. Keep all expectations at the door because the film circumvents genre norms to a degree. It's part homage, part spoof and part Tarantino. That's the best way I can describe it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    They're not for everyone. Keep all expectations at the door because the film circumvents genre norms to a degree. It's part homage, part spoof and part Tarantino. That's the best way I can describe it.

I do like homages, spoofs, and Tarantino films – at least separately. Will be interesting to see if a combination does well or not!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Next one from me: FURY ROAD is easily the worst of all MAD MAX movies so far, a boring piece of overblown pretentiousness, which I was tempted to turn off after 15 and then again after about 30 minutes into the film, but endured and still think I wasted my time by resisting. Give me THUNDERDOME three times in a row instead, and it's less of an ordeal.
    I liked 'Fury Road' but even though I'm a fan of Tom Hardy i couldnt get it out of my head that Max should only be played by Mel Gibson!
    Action and spectacle were superb though!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Next one from me: FURY ROAD is easily the worst of all MAD MAX movies so far, a boring piece of overblown pretentiousness, which I was tempted to turn off after 15 and then again after about 30 minutes into the film, but endured and still think I wasted my time by resisting. Give me THUNDERDOME three times in a row instead, and it's less of an ordeal.

I think it's a brilliant film but the more I watch it the more it rubs me the wrong way because it's impossible to justify in the context of the others. I did miss Gibson too, not that that really matters though as it was really Furiosa's movie. I know the gimmick is a man with no name type thing where he turns up and helps new characters, but Max felt pretty redundant in this one.

I think the other films are very of their time too. Even with all the practical effects in the new one, it still has a glossy CGI assisted almost video gamey feel. Not that that's a bad thing, literally every modern blockbuster I can think of has it. But the old ones felt really raw and dirty in a way Fury Road just doesn't imo.

Still think it's a great film, better than Thunderdome and I'd probably say I prefer it to the first one too as a movie, but even though it's a great film I don't think it's a good Mad Max film and it definitely doesn't come close to touching Road Warrior imo.
    Spot on. Better than Thunderdome, but MAD MAX 2 aka The Road Warrior is still the best of the bunch! Someone elsewhere states that Diehard is the best action movie ever made but i would out Max 2 ahead of it. That final chase sequence is still amazing!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    https://www.topixstars.com/slideshow/19287/slide30

This smug little article will rattle a few cages.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Apocalypse Now, Raging Bull, The Godfather and 2001 are all crap movies? Right...
    All too easy to gain attention by badmouthing some of the greatest films of all time.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    All too easy to gain attention by badmouthing some of the greatest films of all time.

He forgot to mention any James Bond movie, so he cannot be all bad. ;)
    SaintMark wrote: »

He forgot to mention any James Bond movie, so he cannot be all bad. ;)

Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't.

Goldfinger starring a Scottish bloke who struts around acting cool during the whole movie, a girl named Pussy (it means vagina...get it! Haw haw haw...this was funny back in the 60s, not so much now) and some gangsters straight out of Looney Tunes.
    I still think it is one of the best character names ever and it got not censored at all, Pussy Galore. Just brilliant. Not unlike Holly Goodhead (One l is covering it all I think)
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,777
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Apocalypse Now, Raging Bull, The Godfather and 2001 are all crap movies? Right...

I don’t mind if people dislike movies everyone else seems to like, or the other way around. But you need to have at least one valid argument to back that up.

That’s not even difficult. I’m not into gangster films is valid enough for me if that’s why you don’t like The Godfather.

However, if you pretend to be a connaisseur and your arguments include: People still pretend it is good, no it is crap, you clearly have no clue what the hell you’re going on about.

Also, use more nuance if you want to be taken seriously. Words like crap, if you’re talking about movies that clearly have at least some merit, are not advisable.
    It’s because the films are objectively good. Harder to make an argument there. I have seen a few good movies that I wasn’t personally a big fan of, but that’s different. I can acknowledge when a film is well-made, whether it’s a favorite of mine or not.
    It’s because the films are objectively good. Harder to make an argument there. I have seen a few good movies that I wasn’t personally a big fan of, but that’s different. I can acknowledge when a film is well-made, whether it’s a favorite of mine or not.

Well said.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    2001-A SPACE ODYSSEY worst film ever made...Enough said.

Except it’s not enough said since you didn’t give any reasoning at all. Frankly, even with reasoning, to call a film the best or worst ever made is pretty much impossible. Too many great ones and too many horrible ones.

Thankfully Jaws isn't on there ;)