Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TSWLM vs GE - Both top 10 entries for me, although I feel TSWLM is in a different league. It pretty much hits everything I want a Bond film to have, squarely and surely. Atmospheric, wonderfully filmed, great looking women, superb score, a confident Bond firing on all cylinders, one liners and lighter moments that resonate, iconic villains, a world domination plot, wonderful gadgets, superior modelwork, exotic locations and death defying state of the art stunts. GE has a few of those elements too, but not to the same extent. It also feels cheaper and less iconic, but has some very memorable characters.

QoS vs SP - an interesting matchup of lower tier entries as far as I'm concerned. Both films disappointed me upon first viewing, but for different reasons. Both still do to a large extent, but QoS has improved in my estimation with time, while SP has been going in the other direction (it's got one more to overcome before it becomes my firm bottom of the barrel Bond film). At least the earlier film is short and has some interesting characters (Fields, Greene, Camille, Mathis). It also feels as though it was mainly filmed on location (rather than composite created on a computer) and has some memorable, atmospheric scenes (like the Opera sequence). So it gets the win from me here.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TSWLM
    QoS
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TSWLM (no contest there)

Now come the "tricky part." My reaction to QOS and SP is similar to @bondjames. However, I am finding myself becoming more fond of SP over time. I just watched it again recently and found myself paying more attention to all that is done well, as opposed to what isn't. And there is much more celebrate about SP than has been given credit. QOS is a great Bond film for what it is: non stop action. But that's also problematic. So I'll apply this test. If I have to spend a year on a deserted island, and I am forced to have just one Bond film with me, and it has to be one of these two, I will go with SP.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GE
    QOS
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    GE
    QoS
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TSWLM

and

SP
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    TSWLM wins a close one over GE. Both are fantastic entries and in my personal top ten, but Spy just provides a better overall package.

QoS is the clear winner here. SP is a mess, although it does have its moments. I understand the criticisms against QoS, but I have personally loved it since first viewing.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    GoldenEye and Spectre.
    GE
    SP
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    GE : So so so so so so close...could change in a heartbeat.

&

QOS : Not not not not not close..would never change in any heartbeat.
    TSWLM, not a favourite of mine,but it's Roger vs
    Brossa, so it's got to be Rog!
    Still like SP, but QOS is better!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TSWLM beats GE 14-9

QOS beats SP 12-11

Round 53:

DN vs FYEO

and

OP vs NSNA

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DN

and

OP
    DN over FYEO. They’re probably the most simple, stripped back Bond films in the series, but as much as I love FYEO, DN is simply better.

OP over NSNA. No contest.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DN over FYEO

NSNA over OP
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    DN

&

OP
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    DN
    OP
    FYEO
    OP
    Moore wins this time (although I have a soft spot for NSNA)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    DN
    OP
    I'll go with Rog too.
    FYEO
    and even though I enjoy NSNA more now than I did...OP is still way better.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    DN and FYEO? Can't decide that one. On one hand FYEO has a very special place in my heart, on the other hand DN is one spectacular Bond film with Connery at his best in it.

As for NSNA vs OP, NSNA in a heartbeat.
  • Has to be Dr.No and NSNA

FYEO loses point because of the silly Thatcher ending.
    Any Connery Bond movie is better than any Moore Bond movie....in my book
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DN and NSNA here too.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    DN

&

OP (even if I didn't like OP,which in fact is a film I hold very dear to me),I would never vote the other one - its not an official Bond film,and wasn't made with good intentions).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DN

OP
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    QOS beats SP 12-11

Close!!

For this round I'll opt for DN and OP.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DN
    very close call on this next one and can change within the hour: I think I will go NSNA on this one
    DN
    OP
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DN vs FYEO - In this case I have to go for the first official EON film, despite my increasing admiration and appreciation for Roger's fifth over the years. They are both stripped down thrillers, but DN is more definitive. It launched the greatest movie franchise in history, and still holds up to this day as a film ahead. Moreover, it has a young, magnetic Connery at the top of his game and the assured direction of the masterful Terence Young at the helm.

OP vs NSNA - As mentioned in an earlier round, I'm no NSNA hater. I've grown to really appreciate it over the years. However, OP has more charismatic characters, a faster pace, a better score and more tension overall. It's difficult to choose between my two favourite Bond actors in the twilight of their distinguished runs. They both give powerful performances in 1983, but OP is way more fun. Rog wins the Battle of the Bonds.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FYEO over DN, very close and both top tier Bond films.

OP over NSNA, also very close and not exactly top tier.

The Glen films take this round.