Which 007 flick has the worst final 3rd : DAD,DAF,TND,SP ? *Edited to be a 4 way choice*

Comments

I thought TWINE was going to be added as it seemed to have generated a lot of debate.

DAF is not a great ending as it is clearly rushed. But it has some saving graces. Tiffany's outfit with a little extra cheek. The iconic countdown voice. Some great quips from Blofeld. Bond dropping the Bathosub straight down into the water - "Damn it man..."

I think it would have been OK as a starting point to the proposed hot air balloon and salt mine finale.
  • DAF is really lame - it's understandable when you read about how that sequence was filmed. At least SP is visually interesting to look at, if nothing else. DAF takes the cake.
  • Eric_007 wrote: »
    Toomorro Never dies Spectre shouldn't even be on this list honestly. People complained SKYFALL had a home alone ending and that movie was good so don't even get started about thirds

Precisely. The hysterical denunciations of a respectable Bond film are laughable. And even SP's closing act, which arguably is its weakest, is merely pedestrian, not awful. Chalk one up to groupthink, which is so common on net fora.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Not sure I agree with your change of heart @barryt007. I find TND's generic machine gun ending far more dull and forgettable than DAF's oil rig one. For one, we have big Sean delivering the sexist witticisms like only he can, Gray being exceedingly glib/camp, and of course St. John parading about in a bikini.

No, I'm afraid if these are the choices, SP retains its spot as the worst, followed now by DAD, and finally by DAF, the finale of which I very much enjoy (particularly Wint/Kidd's delicious comeuppance on board the ship).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I would rather watch the final act of DAF/Connery a million times over, before SP's final act, closely followed by the abysmal Brosnan climax-trilogy (the same ending, beat for beat, just in a different setting).

DAF is glorious cheese, too much to like, and, of course... Connery... Doesn't come close to:

SP
    TND
    TWINE
    DAD

No way, no how!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DAD srill wins.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The DAF ending I guess is consistent with the rest of the film, the finale is DAFt
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    The DAF ending I guess is consistent with the rest of the film, the finale is DAFt

I still watch DAF and its OK for the most part,but i still hate it for being the film that spawned a few others that are similar,such as MR and DAD,which both started off brilliantly and became more and more satiric,as did DAF itself.

Especially MR,which had such potential,a great first half with MooreBond performing real spying,and even a lot of Fleming still to use .
    bondjames wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with your change of heart @barryt007. I find TND's generic machine gun ending far more dull and forgettable than DAF's oil rig one. For one, we have big Sean delivering the sexist witticisms like only he can, Gray being exceedingly glib/camp, and of course St. John parading about in a bikini.

No, I'm afraid if these are the choices, SP retains its spot as the worst, followed now by DAD, and finally by DAF, the finale of which I very much enjoy (particularly Wint/Kidd's delicious comeuppance on board the ship).

I wasn't including Wint & Kidd's comeback when I thought of DAF's finale. Include that and it steps up another notch for me. Bond getting snobby. A fiery execution. Great music. Cheesy but enjoyable.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @barryt007, when I came across this thread yesterday, you really stumped me-- the three films you chose (and I, along with several others, started to add a fourth film to the list (rightfully so, I think, since PB's last three are interchangeable)), are so bad, I couldn't choose which was the worst. If I had to watch the final acts of any of the original (4) films you had picked for us, I said it would be SP ,only because I like Craig, slightly more than Brosnan, in these "climaxes", and would rather see him muddle about in the crap they gave him.

Just barely, by the way.

But DAF, for all the cheesy, piss-poor effects, has so much to like about it-- even its weaknesses are charming, as @bondjames has pointed out. DAF's final act does have many sins-- but it's so well played by everyone, it's ridiculously fun! It's no where close to the, by the numbers, boring, mediocrity of the original (4) films we were to choose from!!

In fact, there is such a discrepancy in these (4) films compared to the others, the gap being infinite, in fact, I don;t think any of the other Bond films final acts are even in the same muddy universe as these (4)!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    barryt007 wrote: »

I still watch DAF and its OK for the most part,but i still hate it for being the film that spawned a few others that are similar,such as MR and DAD,which both started off brilliantly and became more and more satiric,as did DAF itself.

Especially MR,which had such potential,a great first half with MooreBond performing real spying,and even a lot of Fleming still to use .

DAF and MR are films I often revisit for fun elements and the latter for the spectacle, DAF script is amusing and quite random.

I tend to think Sean and Roger elevated the weaker films they were in.

All the Bond films have there place even the bad ones, each a step in the progression of the series I am sure we will get another great film sooner rather than later.

DAF and MR are films I often revisit for fun elements and the latter for the spectacle, DAF script is amusing and quite random.

I tend to think Sean and Roger elevated the weaker films they were in.

All the Bond films have there place even the bad ones, each a step in the progression of the series I am sure we will get another great film sooner rather than later.

So true.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Diamonds Are Forever: There's really no tension to it. The lack of music makes it dull to sit through at least until the 007 theme kicks in. But it's just not very exciting.

Tomorrow Never Dies: I actually enjoy the final act so no much needs said. I really enjoy the gun battles and action blowout with the Bond theme kicked into full drive. There's energy and tension to it. It's great.

Die Another Day: The final act to this film is probably the worst part for me. There are little snippits I like. The sniping preparation scene is cool and I do enjoy the confrontation between General Moon and Graves. It just gets generic after the plane window gets shot out and things get chaotic. The fights are pretty generic and Graves's Emperor Palpatine force lightning on Bond is just so bad it hurts.

Spectre: The final act to Spectre is frustrating. I love the stuff in Morocco. But the London stuff is pretty flat and not very thrilling. It could have been quite chilling as i like the concept but the execution isn't quite there. I hated the photos in the MI6 ruins of all the People who affect Bond's past. It was just so cheesy and the fact I could tell they were promo shots of the actor's we've seen for years added to the rushed nature of the finale. Doesn't help that Newman's Moor's track is played on loop for over 10 minutes and the stuff with the boat is a deus ex machina.

Which one has the worst? I'd say Diamonds are Forever. But, the final battle between Wint and Kidd makes up for it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    that's it @Fire_and_Ice_Returns -- SC and RM elevated the material... I love Craig, but he did not elevate that awful London tack-on, and PB was never believable to me in the best of fight scenes, so....
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I have had a re-think and ,i agree with most of the members in here that TND shouldnt be part of the 3 films discussed.

I forgot the grenade moment Bond had ,which is vintage Bond.

Therefore,i have taken out TND and replaced it with the limp lettuce ending that belongs to DAF..

Hope this meets with your approval fellow members !

In light of the change, I change my answer from SP to DAF. Easily the worst ending in the entire series.
    peter wrote: »
    that's it @Fire_and_Ice_Returns -- SC and RM elevated the material... I love Craig, but he did not elevate that awful London tack-on, and PB was never believable to me in the best of fight scenes, so....

I was never keen on the PB fight in the newspaper printing facility in TND PB looks uncomfortable in that sequence, I enjoyed TND though after the Switchblade sequence the film labours for me
  • peterpeter Toronto
    PB, as I have said many times, just looked awkward throwing a punch. It's really not his fault-- as stunt co-ordinator I would have got him in training (I think it was before QoS where there were stills of DC working with stunt guys on fights-- that's why he sells the violence, he practiced it!! (plus i think he's the most athletically gifted Bond since SC)
    peter wrote: »
    PB, as I have said many times, just looked awkward throwing a punch. It's really not his fault-- as stunt co-ordinator I would have got him in training (I think it was before QoS where there were stills of DC working with stunt guys on fights-- that's why he sells the violence, he practiced it!! (plus i think he's the most athletically gifted Bond since SC)
    Craig is good, but I'd put Lazenby on equal turf as well as far as being athletically-gifted and convincing in selling the violence.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He's far better than RM, TD, and PB combined. I think he was a realistic rough n tumble man, and probably threw many knuckle-balls in his lifetime.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,263
    George would have probably been a more credible and popular action star today than he was post Bond in the 70's. George took on more physical roles and showed ability prior to it being the norm in the West.

george-lazenby-the-man-from-hong-kong-1.jpg
    Didn't they hire him because of his prowess in the fight scenes? I thought I read that somewhere.
    George would have probably been a more credible and popular action star today than he was post Bond in the 70's. George took on more physical roles and showed ability prior to it being the norm in the West.

Lazenby could kill even by exposing his smelly armpit...impressive.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,263

The Photo is from the film The Man from Hong Kong with the killer armpit pong!
    Didn't they hire him because of his prowess in the fight scenes? I thought I read that somewhere.

If I remember he was into his surfing and physical, his fighting was stiff well the stunt man he fought/trained with found that out with a broken nose.

Hahaha indeed..but i see where you are coming from...DAF with Lazenby would have been brilliant...such a damn shame.

Hahaha indeed..but i see where you are coming from...DAF with Lazenby would have been brilliant...such a damn shame.

Agreed probably the biggest missed opportunity in the series

Agreed probably the biggest missed opportunity in the series

No shadow of a doubt...i think it would have been brilliant,and a 2 part story arc as well...its the film that i really really regret never happening in all of the Bond possibilities.
    Arguably they are at a similarly crucial inflection point again now. Either go dark & revenge based with Shatterhand or ignore the setup which SP ham fistedly delivered and blaze a new path and tone.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

If I remember he was into his surfing and physical, his fighting was stiff well the stunt man he fought/trained with found that out with a broken nose.

Due to the smelly armpit?
    I'd read that in the past as well, although I believe it was a long time ago and there may be new evidence that nullifies how valid that story is.

Lazenby bloodied the nose of a stunt man, I think the actor who played Gruenther, and I believe there are photos showing the guy's face after this. It wasn't intentional, but I guess it was a factor in their final decision according to that claim.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883

BT3366 wrote: »
    Lazenby bloodied the nose of a stunt man, I think the actor who played Gruenther, and I believe there are photos showing the guy's face after this. It wasn't intentional, but I guess it was a factor in their final decision according to that claim.
    It's fascinating to think that this stuntman thing even played into their decision process, especially considering the magnitude of the choice (the replacement for perhaps the star of the decade).