The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

I still can't get around the fact that someone would only or mainly be faithful to his spouse out of religious devotion and then brag about it. I mean what a lame excuse of a reason!

It gets worse than this: according to Xian moral what matters is repentance and forgiveness. So anyone CAN be unfaithful, then repent, then be forgiven by God. But if an atheist is faithful then he goes to hell for not believing and not worshipping.
    Hey I don’t make the rules I follow them and no religious doctorine is not he only reason I do love my wife etc but it doesn’t matter I try to be real with you and you push your hate spewing garbage further down my throat

I will say Darth and Chris are model atheists that you all should ascribe to as I honestly believe that they would be more then happy to worship a god should that god prove scientifically they exist and explain their miracles scientifically...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Risico007 wrote: »
    So with all these hypotheticals let me add one since you all feel you are so moral

A man rapes and murders someone you personally care about you are left alone in a room with that man holding a 9 mm and told to do what you think is right.

What would you do Wiz or Lud? What would the moral thing be?
    I’d probably empty the clip into his face and enjoy myself as I did so. Not from any moral argument just from visceral, satisfying revenge.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make though?

What would you do? Forgive him? That’s your prerogative but you don’t need a belief in God to do that.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,602
    So with all these hypotheticals let me add one since you all feel you are so moral

A man rapes and murders someone you personally care about you are left alone in a room with that man holding a 9 mm and told to do what you think is right.

I deliberately gave real examples and you choose to ignore the question.

People invade countries, cut up woman, make bombs, refuse to serve homosexuals, withdraw medical care from the kids etc etc, there is nothing hypothtical about these situations. These people exist and are doing this under the moral code of their God. It's a perfectly fair question for anyone to ask.

And I won't buck your question so you can see what it's like to get an answer. The right thing to do is to let legal due process take place. Obviously, there is a a debate to be had regarding the moral ellement BUT only free thinkers can enter that debate as "I do what God tells me to do" offers nothing. Like a child saying "he told me to do it". It's just not a grown up response.

I’d probably empty the clip into his face and enjoy myself as I did so. Not from any moral argument just from visceral, satisfying revenge.

What would you do? Forgive him? That’s your prerogative but you don’t need a belief in God to do that.
    If you murder a murderer you don’t lessen the amount of murderers in the world
    I understand you don't make up the rule, or you believe there are such rules and that they were made by a supreme being... But you brought up the adultery argument and the reason why you're faithful... I say this rule as stated by you and other Xians is rubbish to begin with and the hypothetical maker of the rule a puritan and an hypocrite.

Oh yeah you’ve done me there. I didn’t think it through. Looks like you win the internet.
    Is the correct (God's answer) answer that we forgive the rapist ? Is that the Christian thing to do? I genuinely want to know.

edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    patb wrote: »
    Is the correct (God's answer) answer that we forgive the rapist ? Is that the Christian thing to do? I genuinely want to know.
    Well the Old Testament (which was allegedly the word of God) said ‘an eye for an eye’ and all that jazz.

But then Jesus came along and contradicted all that by saying ‘turn the other cheek’.

So depending on who is instructing @Risico007 on what to do that day, God or Jesus, I guess he would either kill him or offer his own arse to be raped as the Bible never mentions allowing due legal process to follow its course does it?
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Thats why us atheists have no idea what the correct answer is and spend so much time having debates about morality.

So much easier with the "I do what God tells me to do" line. Certainly saves alot of time.
    Thats why us atheists have no idea what the correct answer is and spend so much time having debates about morality.

So much easier with the "I do what God tells me to do" line. Certainly saves alot of time.
    And works for anything, like the examples you gave earlier.

If only the Nazis had been shred enough to say ‘God told me to do it’ rather than ‘I was just following orders’ they might well have got off?

Obviously being forced to take personal responsibility for your own life and decisions is a ludicrous concept when you can just play this get out of jail free card all the time.

Easy, kill two murderers,

next question?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How is bowing down to the rules of politicians any better?

And works for anything, like the examples you gave earlier.

If only the Nazis had been shred enough to say ‘God told me to do it’ rather than ‘I was just following orders’ they might well have got off?

Obviously being forced to take personal responsibility for your own life and decisions is a ludicrous concept when you can just play this get out of jail free card all the time.

The Nazis kind of did. They had "God With Us" written on their belts.

next question?

So become a serial killer?

next question?

next question?

Like the great flood?

next question?

next question?

Like the great flood?

Nah the flood is more technically the act of a spree killer.

A serial killer would be someone who kills in a repeated pattern multiple victims. Say someone who, for arguments sake, keeps infecting babies with cancer.
    The Flood would be an act of genocide.
  • RC7RC7
    How is an atrocity like 9/11 viewed by devout Christians? Is it two Gods coming to blows (I’m assuming not, given there can only be one), or is it non-believers getting one over on those of faith? Which would seem like a peculiar act of God. Did God go about creating other ‘false’ religions to test those of faith and royally f*** up by creating Islam, or is it conveniently beyond his purview?
    @RC7 They "look the other way" regarding fair and reasonable questions like that. Instead, they reach for the box of candles, pray for the victims and spout cliches about remaining strong, not being divided etc etc

Similar after the Grenfell Tower fire. I'm sure faith groups did great work after the fire but some heavy rain may have been a good idea from the chief sky fairy.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I will say Darth and Chris are model atheists
    Hold on there, I can't speak for Darth, but I am certainly NOT a model atheist. ;)
    Though I cannot prove this on any level, I suspect that there is a sort of universal 'spirit'... an energy field created by all living things surrounding us and penetrating us and binding the galaxy together... the entire Earth is a living thing... I also hold to the idea of non or semi-specific reincarnation.
    I'm actually a rather poor example of an atheist, I reckon.
    Do people assume the devil doesn’t exist... oh wait if course not
  • RC7RC7

Don’t usually allow myself a lol.

There's no reason to believe the devil exists. And if the God of the Bible existed he'd need no devil! He's doing a fine job as a murderous evil maniac all by himself.
    If the devil does exist then straight away God’s claims of omnipotence are blown out of the water as if he was ‘all powerful’ wouldn’t he just take him down so the world could be a peaceful and lovely place?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,703
    I will say Darth and Chris are model atheists that you all should ascribe to as I honestly believe that they would be more then happy to worship a god should that god prove scientifically they exist and explain their miracles scientifically...

I regret to disappoint you, @Risico007, but I'm really not that guy. I have explained before that even if God could be proven to exist, I'd neither like him nor worship him. Rather, he'd have a lot -- and I mean A LOT -- to answer for. I, and I'm sure many others, would insist that he be put to trial. Let him explain in front of 8 billion people why, either through action or inaction, he behaves as a mass murderer, a child killer, a fraud (Bible), a rapist of women (overpopulation) and a supporter of terrorism.
    Never mind of course I am going to still need to point out so something creates you and brings you and everyone you know and love into existence and you want to put it on trial?!?!

I swear god created us for his own amusement this thread is proof
  • RC7RC7
    Never mind of course I am going to still need to point out so something creates you and brings you and everyone you know and love into existence and you want to put it on trial?!?!

Who created God?
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I regret to disappoint you, @Risico007, but I'm really not that guy. I have explained before that even if God could be proven to exist, I'd neither like him nor worship him. Rather, he'd have a lot -- and I mean A LOT -- to answer for. I, and I'm sure many others, would insist that he be put to trial. Let him explain in front of 8 billion people why, either through action or inaction, he behaves as a mass murderer, a child killer, a fraud (Bible), a rapist of women (overpopulation) and a supporter of terrorism.
    Excellent post.

@Risico007 if God was proven scientifically to exist (that's a big if that you and your Youtube videos are a long way from proving by the way) then we would have to accept it as a fact in the same way I might not like Raheem Sterling but there's nothing I can do to stop him playing for England because it is a fact. I might not like the fact but I cannot deny it.

So if God finally pitched up (hasn't bothered for at least 2000 years and even that's debatable so pretty unlikely) and gave an interview on telly and played to packed stadiums where he raised the dead and walked on water etc (although Dynamo did that so any claims God made would need rigorous testing) then I would have to accept the fact He exists.

But just because I would be compelled to accept his existence what possible reason would I have to worship him except out of fear he might strike me down?

Can you explain to us heathens why he is worthy of worship and devotion? What has he done in your life that makes you treat him with such reverence?
    so something creates you and brings you and everyone you know and love into existence and you want to put it on trial?!?!
    So by that rationale if you found out you were Hitler's son you would worship him too and consider it an outrage if people demanded he face justice for his monstrous crimes?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RC7 wrote: »

Who created God?

Habakkuk Chapter 3 states, “God came from Teman, and the Holy One from Mount Paran.”
This discussion has been closed.