007 Shared Universe??

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    Regarding Daniel Craig: He can't use the media to his own advantage, and to Bond's advantage. His mixed signals are certainly not helpful. Although I want Daniel Craig to come back, his overall sentiment and feeling to me seems the one of an actor that is not very happy with it all. Actually very much like George Lazenby. Again, I want Craig to return, but the man might be embracing his wonderful typecasted role a bit more. Nothing wrong to be typecasted. The late Sir Roger Moore could teach Craig a lesson on that.!
    Craig is a bit like Dalton to me. He sees this as a job and not a career. I personally don't want him back, because I think he's done what he had to with the role. They are moving away from the type of characterization which suits his acting style best. I actually agree with his sentiments in the Time Out interview. Time for him to move on and do some real acting again, which he seems to be doing. He will feel much better as a result.

Well, duh, hence this latest rumour in which supposedly would get an expanded Bond universe? By all means, then PLEASE let Craig return, and please PLEASE I'd love to know what you think of this then: https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17687/james-bond-007-in-murder-on-wheels-a-story-treatment/p1 (I am still curious what you think of it @BondJames, I really do). It's not that difficult to enter a more continuous writing effort in which Bond gets more standalone films again....like we were used too. With Craig.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    10f9f69.jpg

The Le Carre fans will love this.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I wouldnt worry too much about the expanded universe rubbish @Gustav_Graves. Only a fool would throw money at such a project and when they cant even get an actual Bond film anywhere near off the ground why would they put time and effort into this?
    But then again, I am saying so much more. It's not only Craig, it's also Purvis, Wade, Broccoli Sr. and Jr., Wilson.....they all have this lacklustre, negative aura right now concerning Bond.

Have to say I'm with you on this one. I'm sick and tired of hearing people make excuses for EON doing nothing; 'Oh they are tired and are recharging their batteries', 'They need a break you dont understand how hard making a film is for 6 months', 'Its not their fault they cant find a distributor'.

Well the tired thing is utter bollocks. MGW maybe because hes knocking on and really should retire but theyre not working down a mine. Get a real job and then start bleating that you need every other year off to recover and see how far you get.

While the distributor thing is obviously a problem its not Brexit. Its been 18 months since SP and nothing. I'm surprised any films get made at all if doing a deal with a distributor (for a sure fire hit by the way not a punt in the dark) takes so long to thrash out. Wouldnt it strengthen EON's hand anyway if they said we have a script, we have Craig signed up and we are ready to go once we have a distributor. Who fancies it?

But instead of getting this deal done all we hear about is Babs involved in other film and theatre projects or sitting on government committees about diversity FFS!

If everyone at EON is too busy doing other stuff to care about when the next Bond comes out (personally I would have thought it a matter of urgency because it can only be a matter of time before Craig definitively walks away) then sell the rights because I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would love a crack at it - not least Gustav.

You wouldnt mind if you even had confidence that they were doing a good job but the whole script thing with SP seems like EON completely took their eye off the ball. Post SF's flukey success Babs seems to think shes some sort of elder stateswoman of British cinema and doing her day job is somewhat beneath her when her time can be better spent advising the government.
    It makes me puke!

Pass me the sick bucket when youre done old chap.

It makes me puke!

Pass me the sick bucket when youre done old chap.

What are you going to do with it?
    I have to agree with both of you there @Gustav_Graves & @TheWizardOfIce .
    It CANNOT be that difficult to get a distributor signed up for a Bond film ffs,certain studios must be banging down EON/MGM's door !!

Also re Craig,simply ask him,make him make a decision : if he stays then great,if he's not sure or says no then kick him out and get a replacement.

Get things moving and make some kind of bloody announcement,or as Wiz said,pass it on to a company that will relish the chance,and can bring fresh enthusiasm into the series.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm reasonably sure Craig is done. As I said somewhere previously, he likely hasn't announced it yet because it probably benefits him in negotiations for other roles as the incumbent Bond (salary and what not). EON benefit because they don't have to answer questions for the time being about replacements.

They're likely taking their time for a few reasons:

a) they're pretty much out of ideas with this current iteration. As we know, they tend to follow the latest trend, and there really hasn't been anything earth shattering or trend setting in contemporary film recently (Nolan and Bourne are done, and it's primarily a female power/SW/Marvel show these days).
    b) MGM is probably driving a hard bargain for a one picture deal because they want to piggy back off its success to do a future IPO - this is probably the main reason for the delay.

I imagine we will get quite an announcement when it finally comes though. It should make up for lost time and get us all excited about a new direction.
    Regarding Daniel Craig: He can't use the media to his own advantage, and to Bond's advantage. His mixed signals are certainly not helpful. Although I want Daniel Craig to come back, his overall sentiment and feeling to me seems the one of an actor that is not very happy with it all. Actually very much like George Lazenby. Again, I want Craig to return, but the man might be embracing his wonderful typecasted role a bit more. Nothing wrong to be typecasted. The late Sir Roger Moore could teach Craig a lesson on that.!
    Craig is a bit like Dalton to me. He sees this as a job and not a career. I personally don't want him back, because I think he's done what he had to with the role. They are moving away from the type of characterization which suits his acting style best. I actually agree with his sentiments in the Time Out interview. Time for him to move on and do some real acting again, which he seems to be doing. He will feel much better as a result.

His latest role in Logan Lucky is real acting?
    BT3366 wrote: »

His latest role in Logan Lucky is real acting?
    Seems to be, at least from the trailer. It's certainly quite different from what he's done recently (not much) and in combination with the Halle Berry film and Othello, it looks like he's going back to his indie / stage roots.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2017 Posts: 5,979
    You know my arguments, you know my current sentiment about the Bond franchise :-).

By the way, I don't blame the distributors. Read carefully. I blame the current legal structure of the Bond franchise. That's what sucks. Everytime an outside distributor, like Sony for the past four films, needs to come onboard for a peanuts percentage of the profits. That's unfair, and that makes the Bond franchise less attractive to new partners. EON and MGM need to come with a much better offer on the table. Because as it is right now, WE DON'T HAVE a new distributor at all.

Regarding Daniel Craig: He can't use the media to his own advantage, and to Bond's advantage. His mixed signals are certainly not helpful. Although I want Daniel Craig to come back, his overall sentiment and feeling to me seems the one of an actor that is not very happy with it all. Actually very much like George Lazenby. Again, I want Craig to return, but the man might be embracing his wonderful typecasted role a bit more. Nothing wrong to be typecasted. The late Sir Roger Moore could teach Craig a lesson on that.

But then again, I am saying so much more. It's not only Craig, it's also Purvis, Wade, Broccoli Sr. and Jr., Wilson.....they all have this lacklustre, negative aura right now concerning Bond. It makes me puke!

You can't put any 50/50 indecision or deadlock (if that's even the case) all on Eon. Eon does what they can when they can, including getting back the rights to SPECTRE. Oh, wait...
    echo wrote: »
    You know my arguments, you know my current sentiment about the Bond franchise :-).

By the way, I don't blame the distributors. Read carefully. I blame the current legal structure of the Bond franchise. That's what sucks. Everytime an outside distributor, like Sony for the past four films, needs to come onboard for a peanuts percentage of the profits. That's unfair, and that makes the Bond franchise less attractive to new partners. EON and MGM need to come with a much better offer on the table. Because as it is right now, WE DON'T HAVE a new distributor at all.

Regarding Daniel Craig: He can't use the media to his own advantage, and to Bond's advantage. His mixed signals are certainly not helpful. Although I want Daniel Craig to come back, his overall sentiment and feeling to me seems the one of an actor that is not very happy with it all. Actually very much like George Lazenby. Again, I want Craig to return, but the man might be embracing his wonderful typecasted role a bit more. Nothing wrong to be typecasted. The late Sir Roger Moore could teach Craig a lesson on that.

But then again, I am saying so much more. It's not only Craig, it's also Purvis, Wade, Broccoli Sr. and Jr., Wilson.....they all have this lacklustre, negative aura right now concerning Bond. It makes me puke!

You can't put any 50/50 indecision or deadlock (if that's even the case) all on Eon. Eon does what they can when they can, including getting back the rights to SPECTRE. Oh, wait...

Yes, but as it is now EON doesn't seem to be in a hurry at all. If @BondJames is so sure Craig won't return, then by all means fire the man, get your producing heads together and continue the franchise with a 25th Bond film to be premiered late 2018.

Alas, that's not the case. Even EON doesn't seem to be in a hurry. Just look at the Broccoli's and all other frivolities they are engaging in right now. To me that's a clear sign that EON is tired, creatively tired especially. And we as fans should worry about that.

Yes, but as it is now EON doesn't seem to be in a hurry at all. If @BondJames is so sure Craig won't return, then by all means fire the man, get your producing heads together and continue the franchise with a 25th Bond film to be premiered late 2018.

Alas, that's not the case. Even EON doesn't seem to be in a hurry. Just look at the Broccoli's and all other frivolities they are engaging in right now. To me that's a clear sign that EON is tired, creatively tired especially. And we as fans should worry about that.
    It's just an opinion I have based on a confluence of factors. I don't have any crystal ball. If he returns, he returns. I just would prefer if he doesn't because his arc is done as far as I'm concerned. They've done pretty much what they can with his 'contained' interpretation of the character. Trying to shoehorn him into a classic light Bond adventure (yes, I realize some keep saying SP was that, but I don't see it that way) just won't work due to his style of acting and how his Bond is seen. Which means any adventure with Craig back will most likely continue to delve into his inner demons and past for character resonance, even if his Bond tries to brush them off (like he did in SP). I'd rather that not happen. I don't want James "Logan" Bond.

Every long running actor (Connery, Moore, Craig) molds the character to fit their interpretation. From time to time, it's best to switch it up. I just think we're ready for that. Others feel differently. So be it.

As I said before, I believe the delay is due to MGM setting things up for an IPO post-B25 release. It's more than a simple distributor choice, but a question of timing from a business standpoint.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2017 Posts: 5,979

It's just an opinion I have based on a confluence of factors. I don't have any crystal ball. If he returns, he returns. I just would prefer if he doesn't because his arc is done as far as I'm concerned. They've done pretty much what they can with his 'contained' interpretation of the character. Trying to shoehorn him into a classic light Bond adventure (yes, I realize some keep saying SP was that, but I don't see it that way) just won't work due to his style of acting and how his Bond is seen. Which means any adventure with Craig back will most likely continue to delve into his inner demons and past for character resonance, even if his Bond tries to brush them off (like he did in SP). I'd rather that not happen. I don't want James "Logan" Bond.

Every long running actor (Connery, Moore, Craig) molds the character to fit their interpretation. From time to time, it's best to switch it up. I just think we're ready for that. Others feel differently. So be it.

As I said before, I believe the delay is due to MGM setting things up for an IPO post-B25 release. It's more than a simple distributor choice, but a question of timing from a business standpoint.

Interesting theory. But MGM would love to have a Bond film every year if they could. Its Bond years always do better, so an intentional delay would be short-sighted. I think it is more likely that Eon and MGM do not currently agree on distribution, and Eon is not pushing it because they need time to woo Craig.

When Saltzman sold his share, he screwed Cubby (and perhaps that was intentional). MGM is never going to give up its only real cash cow, even if they have to keep going to outside distributors.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I do agree the filmmakers need to learn, and hopefully feel motivated, to keep the production machine going, as Cubby Broccoli and Harry Saltzman did in their time.

I don't think a move toward a different type of Bond film, with a different type of characterization of Bond (presumably a lighter one, infused with more overt charm and humor) is out of Craig's range. I think he handled the part admirably in Spectre, and would love to see him continue to play it that way.
    Right now EON can't give us 1 Bond movie. The idea of multiple movies in a Bond universe is laughable. Ain't happening.
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Right now EON can't give us 1 Bond movie.

And it's that fact that worries me. I mean @bondjames may have all these theories, but then he must agree with me that it's better to continue the franchise right now, with or without Craig! And we keep beating around the bush. The Bond franchise is at a standstill, not so with competing spy and action franchised. It must be great to be a Mission Impossible fan these days no?!?!

And it's that fact that worries me. I mean @bondjames may have all these theories, but then he must agree with me that it's better to continue the franchise right now, with or without Craig! And we keep beating around the bush. The Bond franchise is at a standstill, not so with competing spy and action franchised. It must be great to be a Mission Impossible fan these days no?!?!
    I'm afraid I don't agree with you @Gustav_Graves.

I'm in no rush. I'd rather they take their time and get it right. As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the Bond brand is forever. I think everyone recognizes that.

A longer break (4-5 years) can allow them to reposition and come back with a new concept & vision, and that is what I'm personally in favour of.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Because their stuck waiting on MGM! Why can't people accept that? :O

• edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119

I'm afraid I don't agree with you @Gustav_Graves.

I'm in no rush. I'd rather they take their time and get it right. As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the Bond brand is forever. I think everyone recognizes that.

A longer break (4-5 years) can allow them to reposition and come back with a new concept & vision, and that is what I'm personally in favour of.

Wow, but I agree with you @BondJames on most of that. I am in no rush either. And I said before, you know that, that we won't get a Bond film before the end of 2019 (by the way, until early last year a majority of some posters in here really thought 2018 might be happening). But right now mostly nothing happens. Nothing. And that's something that angers me. I'm all in for a new direction. But I don't get this tired attitude from Broccoli & Co. I'm with the fans here actually. Look at all the fan scripts floating around here. Lots of us have great ideas for a new Bond film. A period piece, a film without Craig, or with Craig, a sequel to SP, a complete new reboot, you name it and you'll find it here.

A longer break (4 years) can allow them, the producers and writers, to reposition and come back with a new concept & vision, as long as they are doing something and don't focus all their time on producing Broadway productions and organizing photography exhibitions at Tate Modern. Man, we really need the passion of producing back in the Bond franchise, not producers and actors moaning during pre-production, production, post-production, and moaning when they are in essence not doing anything....or hardly something.

Back on topic though, coming up with ideas of a James Bond Extended Universe..........to me seems a signal that the long break is certainly not paying off creatively! If true....
    @Gustav_Graves, I'm a big believer in the adage that it's not what you do, but how you do it. I'm really open to anything they want to do, including an extended universe (Do we really know what they have in mind, if anything? So how can we opine yet?). Like Craig said, just don't 'f' up!!.

I do agree though that the old team had a more regimented discipline to their approach. It may have been less creative and more predictable, but overall I personally much preferred the product they put out during that time. There was a welcome familiarity to it all. We knew what to expect (in the character and in the films).

Ultimately the delay this time around is out of their control, but as you say, as long as they're working behind the scenes to get ready for the inevitable push forward it's all good.
    Anyway @BondJames, lots of my complaints about the current situation might be reviewed very very soon, if we have to believe this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4679018/Daniel-Craig-set-sign-fifth-James-Bond-film.html

:-).
    Yes, we are discussing it on the Production thread. I wouldn't place any faith in it until EON announce it.

That doesn't mean B25 is anywhere near production ready.
    DC extended universe
    hqdefault.jpg
    Bond would still win.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    Bond would still win.

That's only because Bond was planning on being captured months in advance.
    DC extended universe
    hqdefault.jpg
    The Joker works for Spectre too? Nooooo!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Oh. I thought picture suggested some sort of familial relationship.

But Spectre, too, that's deep.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Bond would still win.

That's only because Bond was planning on being captured months in advance.

Nah,its because he is Bond....

hqdefault.jpg

"Do you want to know how I got my scar?"

"Shaving accident?"
    Oh. I thought picture suggested some sort of familial relationship.

But Spectre, too, that's deep.
    Related to Bond or part of Spectre, what's the difference these days?
    My two centimes about that idea ? Bad Idea. Very bad idea. Very, very bad idea. There's no need in the movies to have stories about the various characters Bond meet in the movies. James Bond is the hero of his own franchise and that's that.