Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• edited August 2017 Posts: 4,622
    royale65 wrote: »
    Most of the girls you mentioned @timmer have plenty of charm, but their on screen depiction is lacking somewhat. Solitaire though is awesome. ;)

Yes, that's why I went with the trio of Plenty, Rosie and Goodnight.
    Rosie and Goodnight in particular, really do excel!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    timmer wrote: »
    For me the only "bimbos" in the franchise, are in the Guy Hamilton trio of films that started the 70's.

That's harsh, but Plenty Rosie and Goodnight are all close enough. None showed much competence. Rosie and Goodnight were agents of zero ability, while Plenty, as charming as she was, only skill was latching onto high rollers

Tiffany and Solitaire both had some talent at least, in larceny and occult, respectively.

Hamilton though did like like the stereotype.
    He also gave us Dink and even Tiffany and Solitaire had their bimbette moments as their films wore on

The difference between Plenty and those like Tiffany, Goodnight and Rosie is that they're supposed to be competent and are set up to be that, but then aren't. That's what makes them mismatched characters; they never live up to who we're told they are.

Plenty is who Plenty is, and you either like it or you don't because she's a consistently drawn character. But Tiffany on the other hand was written up to initially be this mysterious, sharp, cunning woman and regresses into one who feels like she got a lobotomy for the second half. She doesn't hold a tenth of the power of Fleming's original, who is one of the most interesting and strongest female characters I've read in fiction. But I digress.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I suppose this fits here for today's PC society of everyone complaining about everything, but a judge has allowed a lawsuit to move forward where a woman sued MGM because she purchased a boxset of all the films that didn't contain the original CR and NSNA.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/james-bond-dvd-box-set-mgm-lawsuit-1202515941/
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - your comments about the filmic Tiffany call in mind most of Wilbur Smith's female characters - some of them are magnificently drawn, but once they get plundered by the main, male, character, they are completely different.
    But I don't there was ever any expectation for either Rosie or Goodnight. They were conceived written and delivered as bimbette for our entertainment purposes.
    Tiffany and Plenty were basically stereotypical "fast" girls. Hustlers. Vegas girls even. Smart enough to get by on looks and street smarts.
    Tiff I think just adapted later in the film, and put her feminine charms and bikini figure to full exploit, when she realized how big the stakes actually we're. I don't think she got dumber.
    She adapted. Ernst seemed to like having her around, lounging about.
    He might have tossed her over the rail otherwise.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Obese? Don't worry, you're beautiful.
    Fat shaming? Well that's a health hazard!

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/research-shows-fat-shaming-health-hazard-133104895--abc-news-wellness.html

People banging on about women's roles in films but it's generally fit women we're taking about. We won't have true equality and diversity until we get a 25 stone porker playing a Bond girl.

@TheWizardOfIce, genius. Bond will be tailing the villain at a fairground in America and the Bond girl will have just won a hot dog eating contest by swallowing a record-breaking 25 dogs in just ten minutes. Cue Bond's joke about her fitting a lot in her mouth, or being a good swallower.

It'd be brilliant, a Bond girl debut to rival Honey's.

Pasty Galore
    Dominos Derval
    Anya Amassivearse
    Octobelly
    Wispa Lynd
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/research-shows-fat-shaming-health-hazard-133104895--abc-news-wellness.html

People banging on about women's roles in films but it's generally fit women we're taking about. We won't have true equality and diversity until we get a 25 stone porker playing a Bond girl.

@TheWizardOfIce, genius. Bond will be tailing the villain at a fairground in America and the Bond girl will have just won a hot dog eating contest by swallowing a record-breaking 25 dogs in just ten minutes. Cue Bond's joke about her fitting a lot in her mouth, or being a good swallower.

Pasty Galore
    Dominos Derval
    Anya Amassivearse
    Octobelly
    Wispa Lynd

Pasty Galore
    Dominos Derval
    Anya Amassivearse
    Octobelly
    Wispa Lynd

Jinx "You Owe Me A Soda" Jackson
    Tartiana Romanova
    Jelly Masterson
    Plenty O'Calories

And of course...

Strawberry Fields
    Elektra Burger-King
    Miss Taco
    Krispy (Kreme) Suzuki
    Rosie Carvery
    Christmas Pudding Jones
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,422
    Honey Nut Ryder
    Miss Money-pennysweets
    Peaceful Fountains of Chocolate
    Cherry Onatopp
    Honeycomb Ryder
    Melina Haveabite
    Stacey Mutton

I think we need help...
    Ruby Tartlett
    Mary Goodbite
    Dr. J.W Pepper
    Mrs Taco Bell
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Caki
    Ham Bouvier
    Irma Bun
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Natalya Salami-Sandwich.
    Hai-Fatty
    Mr. Kil (only if it's done in a halal way)
    Agent XXXL
    It's stuff like this that makes us known as the best Bond forum of them all. Well done, lads.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I suppose this fits here for today's PC society of everyone complaining about everything, but a judge has allowed a lawsuit to move forward where a woman sued MGM because she purchased a boxset of all the films that didn't contain the original CR and NSNA.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/james-bond-dvd-box-set-mgm-lawsuit-1202515941/

If I was the judge, I would have told her to just go and buy the books of CR and TB. Not having CR'67 and NSNA in the box set, some people just don't know when they're better off.

If I was the judge, I would have told her to just go and buy the books of CR and TB. Not having CR'67 and NSNA in the box set, some people just don't know when they're better off.

The judge is clearly not at all knowledgable about the movies, but should've researched for two seconds online. Why would two unofficial, non-EON produced movies be included with actual Bond films?

People like the woman in question make me want to brew some cyanide tea. Anybody want a cup?
    Tell you what, we'll have normal tea, and the rest of the world can have your "special" tea. Cherry stones have cyanide to them. Just in case...
    Tell you what, we'll have normal tea, and the rest of the world can have your "special" tea. Cherry stones have cyanide to them. Just in case...

That's a lot of tea, though. What a logistical nightmare just to get some peace and quiet from nonsensical people.
    How about we experiment with orchids?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Agent XXXL

Do you know where that Connery caricature avatar of yours came from?
    It's from the Mad Magazine 1973, comic strip spoof of the first 8 Bond films.
    Iconic and funny as hell. Extremely well drawn by the Mad Magazine strip artists.
    Yes, I know.
    Yes, I know.

Have you seen the actual strips? They are hilarious!
    Yes, I found them online.