Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    BTW the person getting the biggest shock by travelling back to the period I mention would be Mrs Dr Who! Your sonic screwdriver wouldn't be of much use there love! Perhaps that may be a future storyline? 'Dr Who and the curse of the Misogynists'. It would certainly fit in with the whole PC thing!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

@stag, no clue, I don't watch the show. I wanted to discuss all of this, too, without taking over the thread and derailing it, so I'm glad it got moved to here.

Neither do I. Haven't watched it since Tom Baker.

Just one more thing..... surely it's time for a black one legged lesbian single mother assistant?
    stag wrote: »
    Just one more thing..... surely it's time for a black one legged lesbian single mother assistant?

With an eye patch.

barryt007 wrote: »

With an eye patch.

And an asylum application.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117

With an eye patch.

And a Muslim obviously.

In fact if this doesn't happen we should write to the BBC and tell them how outraged we all are.

With an eye patch.

And a Muslim obviously.
    Who speaks English as a second language.

I'd love a male companion that thinks he is all that and tries to pull all that embarrassing stuff men think really woes a women. This chick is over two thousand years old and must know all this herself. A hoot and a half.
    An interesting 'documentary' on Channel Four tonight - 'Is Love Racist?' I think I'll give it a miss.
    That depends on what you love and how you love. ;)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If a male being cast would have been an outrage, my question jumps to "where was the outrage with the last 12 actors who played the Doctor?"

Perhaps I'm missing something. But doesn't Dr Who and the time lords just regenerate? If so they would have no need for sexual organs as they wouldn't reproduce? Not accounting for how they were 'born' in the first place of course. If I am right Dr who wouldn't be either a man or woman but some form of genderless being?

For those who weren't there at the time I wish Dr Who could transport you back to the the 1960s and '70s and those halcyon pre PC days when anything went and no one was ever 'offended'.

They look human and they do have the same concept of gender that we do. The only difference is to them gender doesn't matter because it can and does change with regenerations. I think they reproduce the same as us but it's something to do with exposure to space/time or some bollocks? Because in one series a few years back a human woman had the ability to regenerate because she was concieved on the tardis. But anyway as I've said in the Doctor Who thread, in the context of the show there's no reason for him not to be a woman. I think the only potential issue is, as @TheWizardOfIce said, the reasons behind it, but I don't think we'll be able to judge that until it happens. It could be that the new showrunner genuinely had a vision in mind for the character that suited a female actress, just like Steven Moffat's vision was of an older actor last time. I don't think we can accuse them of box ticking until we see how it works out. If she's perfect for the new version, then I think it's fair to say she was cast because she was best for the job. If it feels forced then you could accuse them of box ticking, but personally if the reason is anything other than creative I think it'd be more to do with the lower ratings.

As for that last bit I am assuming that was sarcasm? It's one thing to say things have gone too far now, it's another to wish to regress back to when the National Front were in their prime and sexism that today you'd think was a Partridge esque piss take but back then was just harmless fun. And that's just over here. I was always crap at history but if you go back to the 60s in America weren't the Civil Rights movement still fighting for desegregation for a lot of that decade? If you were being sarcastic then sorry for overreacting but if not, come on. We're much better off now. Again I'd like to quote the brilliant Stewart Lee bit on political correctness, "there are problems with it, but it's better than what we used to have".
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,053
    WOW a PC response!!!! I'm not going to tell you if I'm being sarcastic or not - I thought that was pretty plain anyway - I'll let you figure it out. The 'Brilliant' Stuart Lee? That's the best laugh I've had in ages. I think I might just start quoting Bernard Manning!!!!
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I'd love a male companion that thinks he is all that and tries to pull all that embarrassing stuff men think really woes a women. This chick is over two thousand years old and must know all this herself. A hoot and a half.

Surely it's not PC to condone such behaviour against non female beings? Why not have a woman assistant who people can laugh at for being a 'dumb blonde' or suchlike?
    SaintMark wrote: »

Surely it's not PC to condone such behaviour against non female beings? Why not have a woman assistant who people can laugh at for being a 'dumb blonde' or suchlike?

I do not recall a dumb blonde assistent in the series, even if the fatherlike figure of the first Doctor could be quite patronizing towards the females in the cast.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well Jo Grant was dizty in a likeable (rather than infuriating) way.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,721

You obviously haven't read a post from Stag before
    As for that last bit I am assuming that was sarcasm?

Okay then, we've got a a black Muslim, eye patch wearing one legged lesbian single mother assistant (can I say mother without causing offence?) No, better not. let me start again:

Okay then, so we've got a person of origin, visually and physical impaired, member of the LGBT community, who is responsible for the welfare of seven junior members of society, of whom the sperm donors are persons unknown. This person subscribes to the Muslim faith. She (is that the correct term?) is a British citizen for whom English is a secondary language.

If I may, could I also suggest that she has her roots in an unspecified country within the EU and is reformed terrorist sympathiser? This would serve to shine a positive light on the EU and the Governments anti radicalisation programme. The former being of particular importance to the BBC during this period of Brexit.

How could the programme makers possibly reject such a synopsis?

BTW, How long will it be before Mrs Dr Who crashes the Tardis? I believe it uses some form of auto pilot, yet mistakes are bound to be made while Mrs Dr Who is programming the co-ordinates while applying her makeup? This, I suppose, could lead to a series of hilarious escapades.
    Further to the above.... If the BBC won't take up the idea, perhaps we could write a letter to BB to point out the advantages of the character when time comes to replace DC as 007? Q branch would have a field day issuing bionic limbs and articifial eyes with laser controlled targeting systems. Imagine Steve Austin meets The Terminator - it's a sure fire winner!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Must we add women and coloured people in a war film just for the sake of it? That critic's lost his mind. One casts people of a specific complexion or persuasion based on the roles that have to be filled.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Also disabled people, transgender, and why are the Germans always shown as the bad guys.
    Time to rewrite history to show them as lovable rouges ......... Sounds silly but could happen.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Also disabled people, transgender, and why are the Germans always shown as the bad guys.
    Time to rewrite history to show them as lovable rouges ......... Sounds silly but could happen.

Don't give them any ideas!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    History is rewritten already.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    There aren't enough white slaves in Roots. Why no Black Nazi's
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,978
    There aren't enough white slaves in Roots. Why no Black Nazi's

Yes, and in the new Battlefront (Lucasfilm) game there is a black female member of the Empire, but I thought the Empire were like the space Nazis and the Rebellion was made up of all different creeds from around the galaxy? Doesn't make sense for the Empire to be inclusive.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,882
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Must we add women and coloured people in a war film just for the sake of it? That critic's lost his mind. One casts people of a specific complexion or persuasion based on the roles that have to be filled.

I don't identify as a male, I identify as a Tangerine. I am very distressed at the Tangerineist attitude in the media. There needs to be more fruit based diversity. Apples and Banannas get all of the plumb roles.

#Oscarssowatermelon

I don't identify as a male, I identify as a Tangerine. I am very distressed at the Tangerineist attitude in the media. There needs to be more fruit based diversity. Apples and Banannas get all of the plumb roles.

#Oscarssowatermelon

Surely all the plumb roles go to plums?

My late father was at Dunkirk. In fact he was one of the last to escape from the beaches. I can't help but wonder what his reaction to this story (and indeed the film) would be? I know he was no fan of the original Dunkirk film.

#Oscarssowatermelon

Plumbs used to get those roles, but now Apples and Oranges get 'em instead. It's apple washing gone mad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30999175/warning-why-using-the-term-coloured-is-offensive

#Oscarssowatermelon

Plumbs used to get those roles, but now Apples and Oranges get 'em instead. It's apple washing gone mad.

Ah, I see. I hope people don't think I was being fruitist with my suggestion about plums. I like all fruit equally (even grapefruit!)