Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    What about transgender fruit like tomatoes ?
    Always trying to be a vegetable.
    Stiff as a cucumber myself....lovely veg.
    What about transgender fruit like tomatoes ?
    Always trying to be a vegetable.

smilierolllaugh.gif
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Tangelo.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And how about those banana berries claiming to be fruit?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    oranges are not the only fruit .
    What the heck does political correctness have to do with a suit only dress code ?
    It's like the idiots that confuse PC and health & safety.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Here's one I don't understand -

"Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of the elements of one culture by members of another culture. Cultural appropriation, often framed as cultural misappropriation, is sometimes portrayed as harmful and is claimed to be a violation of the collective intellectual property rights of the originating culture."

So, as a white male I shouldn't listen too reggae because I'm not Afro-Caribbean?

That - cultural appropriation - is racist. All people should be free to identify how the hell they like.
    Not any more .
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    "a violation of the collective intellectual property rights of the originating culture."

That has to be the most ridiculously PC thing I've ever heard! (As well as the dumbest!)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I usually can't stand South Park, but this was pretty good;
    "In My Safe Space"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm curious to see if RDJ will step down soon and make way for a teenage black girl (or whoever Iron Man is supposed to be now. Could've swore I read something about him being a teenager in the comics now).

You may've been joking, @Creasy47, but that's exactly what happened. Last year Marvel made the new iron man a teenage black girl:

ht_iron_man_cover_edit_er_160706_4x3_992.jpg

I haven't read the run so I can't comment on its quality or if the change was more than PC pandering, but I just laughed at how you accidentally predicted what really happened and had to share that with you.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's exactly what I was referring to, it wasn't accidental. I saw an article months and months ago about a teenage black girl taking over as him, so I'm curious to see if the future of the role will pander the same way.
    But they call her Iron Man?
    It'd be sexist not too.
    This just in :

Man's 'ban the burqa' stunt backfires when he puts niqab on in Debenhams and police are called .

A man’s fight to “ban the burqa” by donning the garment himself has backfired after he was questioned by the police under suspicion of a public order offence.

Thomas Dunn was spotted walking into a Debenhams in Exeter city centre and putting on a woman’s niqab – a face covering where, unlike a burqa, you can still see the eyes – and was then heard imitating Muslim prayer.

He then left the department store and walked into the high street at around 2:30pm when he was stopped by local police.

He claims he was then questioned under the Terrorism Act, but a police spokesman told The Independent he had instead been spoken to regarding a minor public order offence after the shop reported concerns he may be a shoplifter.
    He was not arrested and allowed to leave without charge.

The 57-year-old told DevonLive he had dressed in what he called a burqa on a few other occasions as part of his one-man campaign to ban the wearing of the Islamic dress in the UK.

He said: "I have always been a little intimidated by people wearing burqas and since all the terrorist attacks I think the Government should ban anyone from covering their faces as on CCTV it won't pick up who they are.

"If you see someone wearing a burqa you immediately think terrorist. It should be stopped. I have nothing against Muslim people and I'm not racist in any way, but I don't agree with people covering their faces."
    He said he chose to target Debenhams that weekend because they had recently announced they would begin selling traditional Islamic clothing.

“When you change into a burqa you really can see that the way people look at you changes. You see that initial fear in their eyes,” he added.

Mr Dunn, a gas engineer, said he knew his actions may distress people but he felt he needed to “raise awareness of his campaign”.

He is not the first person to come unstuck when proposing a ban on the full-face veil.

In April, former Ukip leader Paul Nuttall introduced a plan to ban all face coverings in public as part of its election manifesto but insisted it was not racist as it all applied to all.

But the proposal was laughed down almost immediately when people pointed out this would include balaclavas and beekeeper outfits.

Despite this, a YouGov poll commissioned for The Times at the time found that almost 48 per cent of people would support a law banning wearing a full-face veil compared with 42 per cent who said people should be able to wear what they want.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I can't recall seeing many folks out and about wearing balaclavas. To the best of my knowledge, neither have I witnessed any beekeepers (in full outfit) wandering the streets.
    But they call her Iron Man?

Methinks 'Iron Person' would be a more fitting title.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    barryt007 wrote: »
    This just in :

Man's 'ban the burqa' stunt backfires when he puts niqab on in Debenhams and police are called .

A man’s fight to “ban the burqa” by donning the garment himself has backfired after he was questioned by the police under suspicion of a public order offence.

Thomas Dunn was spotted walking into a Debenhams in Exeter city centre and putting on a woman’s niqab – a face covering where, unlike a burqa, you can still see the eyes – and was then heard imitating Muslim prayer.

He then left the department store and walked into the high street at around 2:30pm when he was stopped by local police.

He claims he was then questioned under the Terrorism Act, but a police spokesman told The Independent he had instead been spoken to regarding a minor public order offence after the shop reported concerns he may be a shoplifter.
    He was not arrested and allowed to leave without charge.

The 57-year-old told DevonLive he had dressed in what he called a burqa on a few other occasions as part of his one-man campaign to ban the wearing of the Islamic dress in the UK.

He said: "I have always been a little intimidated by people wearing burqas and since all the terrorist attacks I think the Government should ban anyone from covering their faces as on CCTV it won't pick up who they are.

"If you see someone wearing a burqa you immediately think terrorist. It should be stopped. I have nothing against Muslim people and I'm not racist in any way, but I don't agree with people covering their faces."
    He said he chose to target Debenhams that weekend because they had recently announced they would begin selling traditional Islamic clothing.

“When you change into a burqa you really can see that the way people look at you changes. You see that initial fear in their eyes,” he added.

Mr Dunn, a gas engineer, said he knew his actions may distress people but he felt he needed to “raise awareness of his campaign”.

He is not the first person to come unstuck when proposing a ban on the full-face veil.

In April, former Ukip leader Paul Nuttall introduced a plan to ban all face coverings in public as part of its election manifesto but insisted it was not racist as it all applied to all.

But the proposal was laughed down almost immediately when people pointed out this would include balaclavas and beekeeper outfits.

Despite this, a YouGov poll commissioned for The Times at the time found that almost 48 per cent of people would support a law banning wearing a full-face veil compared with 42 per cent who said people should be able to wear what they want.

On what grounds are they nicking him exactly? Shoplifting sounds like they thought it up afterwards. And how is shoplifting a 'minor public order offence'? If he's been stopped for shoplifting there is either a charge to answer or there isn't but in any event that's a criminal offence not a public order offence.

If he was found innocent of shoplifting what public order offence did he breach that deserved a bollocking from the police? Sounds like police victimisation for some completely inexplicable reason!

Anyway good lad. Gave me a chuckle. I wish him luck with his campaign.
    I'm sure the google warriors will correct me, but I guess he was questioned in relation to a possible breach of section five of the public order act. It doesn't say he was arrested, just spoken to about his behaviour then allowed to go on his way. I think the shoplifting thing may be a bit of spurious reporting.

mm320817.gif

Reading Floyd Gottfredson s Mickey Mouse stories from the 30s is such a treat. People smoke, get drunk, shoot each other dead, Peg Leg Pete smuggles opium and threatens to throw Minnie to the shark if she dosn t give him a kiss etc.

That would never have made it to publishing if it was made today. There is a mentality today that says kids can t handle this stuff. Ridiculous.

27d0ba1f89efa23fcd8a27efccf56342--disney-mickey-mouse-minnie-mouse.jpg
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 170
    How do you all interperate this one ,who is right,the pub or the complainers ?

This just in :

Pub's 'appalling' advert slammed for asking "would you punch your ex in the face?" in exchange for a snack .

A pub has been rapped over an advert which asked people 'would you punch your ex in the face' for a fast food snack.

Domestic violence campaigners slammed The George Pub & Grill in Stockton over a Facebook promotion of its parmo.

And the Advertising Standards Authority upheld a complaint, stating the ad “trivialised and encouraged domestic violence”, Gazette Live reports.

Pub owner Craig Harker said the message, which asked ‘Would you punch your ex in the face for a parmo?’, was a "joke" when it was posted onto the pub's Facebook page in May.
    The popular Teesside delicacy is deep fried chicken with Parmesan cheese as a topping.

He said the advert attracted hundreds of likes and positive comments about the pub, which is known for its belly-busting eating challenges.

But it was quickly condemned by campaigners.

Lesley Gibson, chief executive of Teesside domestic abuse service Harbour, said: “It’s actually appalling.

"I don’t think it’s appropriate for domestic violence to be used in this way.

“But I am encouraged that attitudes about domestic violence are changing enough to mean that someone made a complaint about it.”

In a ruling published yesterday , the ASA upheld the complaint and said: “We considered that referring to domestic violence in an advert for a fast food dish trivialised and condoned domestic violence and concluded that the ad was not prepared in a socially responsible manner.”

Responding to the ruling, Mr Harker said: “I’ve not had anything from the ASA. I didn’t even know they existed.

“The post was something that we took from Facebook. It was on all the banter pages, and said stuff like ‘would you punch your ex for a $1m’, stuff like that, so we changed it to parmo to localise it.

The George hit the headlines last month after obesity campaigners slammed the pub for offering free food to anybody weighing over 25 stone - as long as they publicly weigh themselves.

The venue is famous for its ‘Man vs Food’-style challenges, which include an 8,000 calorie kebab parmo.

At the time, Craig said the initiative was a “bit of fun” - and has remained committed to its high calorie menu.

Some customers expressed an interest in taking up the offer but others have slammed it as an ‘awful’ stunt.

Jane DeVille-Almond, chairman of the British Obesity Society, said: “It is a sign of our times when people do not take health seriously.

“The owner of the pub clearly has no idea of the difficulties morbidly obese people face, and it is sad he is using their problems to get publicity for the pub.

“I really do hope no one takes him up on the challenge.”

But Mr Harker, who also offers a 220 oz steak along with a challenge to scoff 100 chicken nuggets in 10 minutes, defended the move.

He said at the time: "This is for grown ups, adults, who will get a free meal, so we are not making money from it. Yes there is publicity but we are a busy pub any way.

"We’ve had a lot of negative comments, but there are positive ones as well.

“If you followed the arguments against it then you would close every fast food outlet in the country.”
  • RC7RC7
    I don't get the joke. Why is it your 'ex'? 'Would you punch your wife in the face...' is much better.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/01/if-you-liked-wonder-woman-please-see-atomic-blonde-in-a-theater/#99d06b217dc8

This article infuriated me. Apparently going to see a film that features a female lead because you are interested to see it isn't enough. You have to go watch films with female leads, even if you aren't interested in the movie. It's called "doing your bit" to help women.

The last line should summarize the authors point well enough:

"Besides, Atomic Blonde is a fun time at the movies, so you can do your duty and enjoy yourself at the same time."

Do your duty?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Mendes4Lyfe, I didn't even bother reading that article but saw it online somewhere. Haven't rolled my eyes that hard in a long time.

"If there's a female lead, you must pay money to see it, or else you're a misogynistic pig!"

If it has a lot of men in it - white men, at that - you should obviously avoid it like the plague!
    That why they are having such an issue with B25 - a story centered around a white, imperialist, elitist, chauvinistic pig!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    All theater chains need to do now is set up a male's only screening of Atomic Blonde so that us boys can "do our duty" even more effectively...and piss off every other radical feminist by making a female-led movie exclusive to a theater-going gender like some chains thought they'd do for Wonder Woman.

Are men allowed to see movies with female leads, or aren't we? Make up your minds, folks.
  • That is pretty ridiculous. Off topic but is anyone else as excited for Atomic Blonde as I am? John Wick in the cold war? And as if that wasn't enough I read a comment online comparing it to Dalton's Bond films. I'm really excited.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don't get the joke. Why is it your 'ex'? 'Would you punch your wife in the face...' is much better.

Surely the point is their product is so desirable you would do something shocking to get it so wouldn't punching your dead gran in the face work better?

And apart from anything else how is it 'domestic violence'? She's your ex so it's just common assault on a member of the public.

I haven't really got a problem with it as only morons would read this and act on it. The only thing worthy of criticism is it's really not funny at all.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/01/if-you-liked-wonder-woman-please-see-atomic-blonde-in-a-theater/#99d06b217dc8

This article infuriated me. Apparently going to see a film that features a female lead because you are interested to see it isn't enough. You have to go watch films with female leads, even if you aren't interested in the movie. It's called "doing your bit" to help women.

The last line should summarize the authors point well enough:

"Besides, Atomic Blonde is a fun time at the movies, so you can do your duty and enjoy yourself at the same time."

Do your duty?

Hadn't really heard of this until last week when I saw the trailer and thought it looked decent and was planning to see it but after this they can whistle. Dodgy download the way forward.

The guy completely misses the point by claiming people came out to see Rogue One because it had a female lead. People came out to see it because it was Star Wars. Most people just want to see a good film and really don't give a toss about all this diversity rubbish but the Guardianista lefty media insist on ramming it down our throats which just ends up as more likely to piss people off.