Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• timmer wrote: »
    Agent XXXL

Do you know where that Connery caricature avatar of yours came from?
    It's from the Mad Magazine 1973, comic strip spoof of the first 8 Bond films.
    Iconic and funny as hell. Extremely well drawn by the Mad Magazine strip artists.

Let's give proper credit here: Mort Drucker is the artist in question.
    timmer wrote: »
    Agent XXXL

Do you know where that Connery caricature avatar of yours came from?
    It's from the Mad Magazine 1973, comic strip spoof of the first 8 Bond films.
    Iconic and funny as hell. Extremely well drawn by the Mad Magazine strip artists.

Let's give proper credit here: Mort Drucker is the artist in question.

Right. Some great drawing there. The writing is funny as hell too.
    @Thunderfinger if you still have the link, the membership here would get a real hoot reading those strips.
    Mad Magazine also did full treatments later of both TSWLM and MR
    I think that might have been the end, but I'm not sure.

I have the 1973 mag plus the TSWLM & MR, Mad Mags saved as part of my Bond collectables stash.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited August 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Sorry , can t remember, but it was posted on some appropriate thread here a while ago. Hope that helps.

They had a great parody called FOR HER THIGHS ONLY as well. Also posted here earlier.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Actually the link below, has the full Moonraker strip, and also links to the original ( actually 1974 Mad Mag) which spoofed the first 8 films.
    The link to the spoof of the first 8 films is called "8 James Bond films: A Mad retrospect with no respect"
    It's found at the bottom of the page.

http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/post/2014/10/27/Mad-Magazine-spoofs-Moonraker

Edit I didn't know about the FYEO spoof. That might have been Mad Mags last one.
    I'll try find the the link to the "The Spy Who Glubbed Me" spoof and "For Your Thighs Only" too, or the thread here on the Mi6 site that already has the links .

These spoofs are gold. The caricature drawing is so close to the original film images, which helps make it so funny.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,564
    My favorite MAD Bond spoof was published around the mid-60s: a Bond musical called "007." Sing it like you're singing "Oklahoma": "Ohhhhh-oh-seven, he's the best of all the British spies..." Another memorable song was "Bentley With the Blonde in Front" sung to the tune of "Surrey With the Fringe on Top." You get the gist of it. Art of course by the incomparable Mort Drucker.

That '60s Mad spoof is on the web too
    Edit: the link is right below the "8 Bond movies""
    link above
    I think MAD made parodies of the last couple of Craig films.
    Is Mad even still publishing? Didn't know.
    We've got to get all those strips on one single, more on-topic thread.
    ie "the Bond comic-spoof thread."
    The old Mad Bond spoof-strips are truly IMO, the funniest things ever.
    They mock Bond relentlessly with typical Mad irreverence, with spot on drawing.
    This page is hilarious

MadMagazine-165-009.jpg

There is a thread for it, and lots of them were posted there earlier.

There is a thread for it, and lots of them were posted there earlier.

Guess we'll have to search out the thread and add to it.
    I've stumbled across some funny comic spoofs of the Craig films by other publications.
  • timmer wrote: »

Yes, MAD is still being published. Bill Morrison (one-time editor of the Simpsons Comics) has just been named editor of MAD.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Perhaps the wrong place to post, but has anyone seen the story of the young girl who was 'abducted' during a modeling assignment in Italy? Did anyone see the footage of her in her front garden? Far from being traumatised at being held captive, she was posing for all she was worth and looked as if she was doing a front cover shoot! Call me cynical but something about this smells a bit off to me. At this stage I would even go as far as to suspect the whole thing was some kind of publicity stunt.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I said on first hearing the story. That there
    Was something fishy about it.
    stag wrote: »
    Perhaps the wrong place to post, but has anyone seen the story of the young girl who was 'abducted' during a modeling assignment in Italy? Did anyone see the footage of her in her front garden? Far from being traumatised at being held captive, she was posing for all she was worth and looked as if she was doing a front cover shoot! Call me cynical but something about this smells a bit off to me. At this stage I would even go as far as to suspect the whole thing was some kind of publicity stunt.

I saw that and thought exactly the same thing as you @stag ...
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    My thoughts exactly @stag.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Ah, I am not alone then! I'm still not convinced about the model 'kidnap' story. I she see she has told her story in a Sunday newspaper. Apparently she has hit back at critics who said she was smiling for photographers during the front garden 'shoot'. As far as I recall, she wasn't simply smiling but full on model posing, throwing the hair about and posing for the camera like she was doing an assignment for some lads mag.

Trauma affects different people in different ways, but it is the first time I have seen it manifested in this manner?!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Same here. She looked to be enjoying the attention a bit too much. We live in a world where the lack of standards and a willingness to do whatever it takes to grab headlines, will get you further than talent. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that a model looking for fame would go to such lengths.
    A Pavlovian reflex?
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    There were accusations levelled against the government here in Australia that they were banning males from being recruited into the army, navy etc. so that they could increase the percentage of women in service because 12% was disgraceful. Frankly, I think it's even more disgraceful that they're worrying about 50/50 quotas in a field as critical as the military. We need an army that can serve us well when it comes to war, not one that represents the gender spectrum equally. The enemy certainly won't be caring about that.
    There were accusations levelled against the government here in Australia that they were banning males from being recruited into the army, navy etc. so that they could increase the percentage of women in service because 12% was disgraceful. Frankly, I think it's even more disgraceful that they're worrying about 50/50 quotas in a field as critical as the military. We need an army that can serve us well when it comes to war, not one that represents the gender spectrum equally. The enemy certainly won't be caring about that.

Yep, leftist dogma trumps basic reasoning even when lives are at stake. I know here in the UK fire-fighter standards have been lowered to allow more women to make the grade.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4788220/TfL-drops-2m-campaign-featuring-Muslim-girl-hijab.html

Classic TfL. Too desperate to tick all the inclusivity and diversity boxes to get their facts right. Mind you the whining over this is equally pathetic. I don't know how the average Muslim manages to hold down a job or find time to eat and sleep given how much time they have to spend taking offence every day.

Still £2 million of public money down the shitter but no skin off my nose as I don't pay for my oyster.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4788220/TfL-drops-2m-campaign-featuring-Muslim-girl-hijab.html

Classic TfL. Too desperate to tick all the inclusivity and diversity boxes to get their facts right. Mind you the whining over this is equally pathetic. I don't know how the average Muslim manages to hold down a job or find time to eat and sleep given how much time they have to spend taking offence every day.

Still £2 million of public money down the shitter but no skin off my nose as I don't pay for my oyster.

According the Daily Mail is always as far from the truth as possible, so do not take anything for a fact if you do then the truth is out there.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    SaintMark wrote: »

According the Daily Mail is always as far from the truth as possible, so do not take anything for a fact if you do then the truth is out there.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hijab-girl-in-childrens-books-is-sexualising-four-year-olds-6hsthm3lx?shareToken=d5475ae78b6739437800d0719488966b

Do you believe it more in The Times mate? Or is that just Murdoch propaganda?

I work for TfL and trust me this story doesn't even scratch the surface.

ffs, how much does diversity box ticking cost us, not just money but also our ability to think like normal human beings? I agree with the complaints. Ban all these headdresses. Female subjugation hiding in plain sight.
    SaintMark wrote: »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hijab-girl-in-childrens-books-is-sexualising-four-year-olds-6hsthm3lx?shareToken=d5475ae78b6739437800d0719488966b

Do you believe it more in The Times mate? Or is that just Murdoch propaganda?

I work for TfL and trust me this story doesn't even scratch the surface.

I would never trust anything that Murdoch says basically because he has shown way too often that his agenda is just wrong and manipulation on a big scale.

I missed this story altogether perhaps because I decided the last three weeks on my vacation to steer clear from news altogether since it offers very little comfort and relaxation these days with apparently the mad men running about everything.

As the story goes it seems to me that there is nothing pc these days but a lot of people having too much time to judge each other on just about anything that could be possible. For me it seems that these days everybody is more obsessed about what could be considered wrong instead of the positive aspects of life and society.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,721
    People are so PC it's crazy! I mean it's not like there are Nazis marching in the streets, driving over people and killing them with a president silently supporting it by refusing to condem them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    People are so PC it's crazy! I mean it's not like there are Nazis marching in the streets, driving over people and killing them with a president silently supporting it by refusing to condem them.

That would be pure madness if it ever happened!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That would be pure madness if it ever happened!

Wouldn't surprise me...but in the US rather than in the UK first, if it ever does.