Baby Driver (2017)

Comments

People really don't think before they speak or Tweet
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Leave it to a Trump to not know how to read.

It blows my mind that so many people's gut reaction in a time like this is to shit on other people and push an agenda of their own. I wonder if Ms. Hartley-Brewer or Trump Jr. would be so aggressive in their tone and so callous to those who suffered or tried to aid the suffering if they were at Westminster Bridge today and saw a lorry barreling right for them. Context is everything, and empathy is our greatest tool here. Why does it seem so hard for some to just feel AND think anymore?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    what do u brits think of the London mayor in general?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2017 Posts: 17,691
    So sorry for the loss of a brave British officer in this, and the other civilians. All my sympathy.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    chrisisall wrote: »
    So sorry for the loss of a brave British officer in this, and the other civilians. All my sympathy.

+1

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 3,126
    Sadly this attack could be as influence to what are we afraid of now saying from Greg Wilson which may then influence the script of bond 25 written by p&w
    Thankfully this isn't a place where radicals can be seeded.

Wouldn't that be a shocking turn of events

007Blofeld wrote: »
    Sadly this attack could be as influence to what are we afraid of now saying from Greg Wilson which may then influence the script of bond 25 written by p&w

I feel the next Bond film should feature a domestic attack in England, as well as a threat to major world leaders - perhaps even at the hand of another world leader, behind the scenes.

Would be realistic enough in today's age, and the perfect plot for escapism in the Bond franchise. Many lessons to be learned here. A great story may unfold.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The story is everything.
    This attack was entirely motivated by religious conviction. Any claim to the contrary is frankly idiotic.

Some (not all) religious people are motivated to do good through the teachings of their books. Others the opposite, or at least from my Western European kafir perspective, Osama bin laden would perhaps disagree with me what constitutes good and bad.

Pretending that people can't be motivated to kill by their religious conviction is ignoring a fact that has been around as long as man has believed in their invisible magic creators.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    True. Many religions preach peace, but at a terrible cost. Only those who think and talk and act the same way, qualify as humans. Everyone else is an "infedel" and doesn't deserve to live. Some Muslims, Christians, Jews, ... are foolis enough to actually live by those words. And yet, they are cowards. Blowing up children, shooting down old folks, ... only the scared and crazy do. The brave would dp something else. Like many brave scientists who try to demonstrate that there's no need for a god in this universe, without resorting to violence.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/782658/london-terror-atack-snp-minister-meltdown-holyrood-suspension
    One SNP MSP wasn't happy about yesterday's attack but for very different reasons, as it
    Delayed their Independence discussions ! ..... I hope her resignation will be swift.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    The news that raids have been conducted against several addresses suggest that the attacker was not only known to the police and security services but he may have been acting with support.
    I'm guessing - only guessing mind - that he will have been on the 'to be watched' list. I would be greatly surprised if the police and MI5 wasn't aware of him and his affiliations.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/782658/london-terror-atack-snp-minister-meltdown-holyrood-suspension
    One SNP MSP wasn't happy about yesterday's attack but for very different reasons, as it
    Delayed their Independence discussions ! ..... I hope her resignation will be swift.

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Considering the fact that the officer was unarmed: I work in another European Parliament and we too have armed and unarmed security here. The fact that this unarmed officer stepped foreward to protect people from an armed assailant says all about the brave officer himself, nothing about beeing armed or unarmed. Some will, later on, ask why he did it when he kenw there were armed officers too. Well, because he was brave and felt responsible. I hope he get's all the honour he deserves.

All in all, just relieved our members here, afawk, are safe. We will see more attacks, no doubt, of misguided cowards who think attacking unarmed people is actually 'fighting' a war. It isn't. There's nothing lower then this. Either inspired by religion, political views or what have you not, attacking unarmed people who go by their everyday business is cowardice times a million. If you do that you don't deserve to exist, and though I myself don't believe in any sort of god, I'm convinced that, if one existed, 'he/she/it would think the same and punish these creatures to the max.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Relegion is fine when your not a jihadist

Dont be surprised when it happens again then.

We are just treating the symptoms when we should be treating the disease of religion.
    @CommanderRoss I've been engaged on similar duties to the police at Westminster. Helping to provide a security presence on the perimeter of a certain building in a certain UK city. The terrorist threat was a credible one (and I'm not speaking about Islamist terrorists). Every effort was made under those circumstances to secure the building from attack and protect those inside. I'm sure some of the personnel were armed, but my colleagues and I weren't. We were always comprehensively briefed, but could have done little to stop any armed attacker save from what that brave Met PC did.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Would it be a possibility for the police at the gates of parliament, to have concealed
    Firearms, if they want to maintain the look of unarmed officers ? Or at least quick
    Access to a weapon ?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @stag well I'm no expert on these matters, I can only relate to what I see. If experts tell me all guards should be armed I'm just glad they are. But I do think this is all thought through. As we've seen last week on Zaventem, I think it was, Brussels Airport, where one of those idiots attacked a guard to get her gun. He was unsuccesful, but she got wounded anyway. Again, this PC has been very brave in doing what he did. It's sad he lost his life because of it but I hope he's remembered by his loved ones with pride as he did far more then anyone could ask of him.

And again, I can't mention the cowardice of the attacker enough. His family will live in shame for itwas their son/brother/cousin who showed how low human lifeforms can go.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

We are just treating the symptoms when we should be treating the disease of religion.

Fully agreed. We can't have a serious dialogue with those unwilling to step out of the dark ages. Every generation of religious devotees will bring forth its own batch of terrorists. There will be more nine elevens as long as we keep humouring the phantoms of the past by being "tolerant".
    edited March 2017 Posts: 1,053
    @Thunderpussy, yes, and in all likelyhood quite a few of them would have been carrying concealed weapons. I remember police carrying weapons under tunics/overcoats when engaged on protection duties, so they looked like 'ordinary' police. I am surprised to learn that there were unarmed officers on perimeter protection duties at Westminster. Inside, yes, but on the 'front line' so to speak, I thought it would have been SOP for all personnel to carry a firearm. I can only guess that this practice will end very soon.

@CommanderRoss as mentioned above, it came as a surprise to me to learn that unarmed police were on perimeter patrol/security duties.

@DarthDimi, as detailed in your post, everyone practices intolerance. It just comes in different shapes and sizes. Speaking as an atheist, but as an atheist who believes in peoples rights to peacefully practice their chosen religion, what would happen if we were to eradicate religion tomorrow? Do you believe all terrorism would grind to a halt? People always have and always will find a reason to kill each other. Religion and it's cult aspects is just another excuse. If Islam was to vanish overnight, would not the extremists adopt another mantle?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Apparently the attacker was British born and had been investigated by MI5 over links to extremism some years ago.....
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    stag wrote: »
    what would happen if we were to eradicate religion tomorrow?

Who knows? Why don't we give it a try and see what happens? Could things be any worse?
    Do you believe all terrorism would grind to a halt?

It might not. But then again it might. Difficult to prove a hypothesis without any data. And the only data we have to go on indicates that religion has been a factor in all terrorist attacks since 9/11 bar the murder of Jo Cox and possibly the Breivik killings (although I seem to recall he had some right wing Christian Crusader agenda).
    People always have and always will find a reason to kill each other. Religion and it's cult aspects is just another excuse. If Islam was to vanish overnight, would not the extremists adopt another mantle?

Stop smoking 50 a day and you might still die of cancer but by eraducating a contributing factor you improve your chances of not getting it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Fully agreed. We can't have a serious dialogue with those unwilling to step out of the dark ages. Every generation of religious devotees will bring forth its own batch of terrorists. There will be more nine elevens as long as we keep humouring the phantoms of the past by being "tolerant".

Religion=terrorism?
    Whilst I don't disagree, we have to remember that almost everyone subscribes to their own form of 'religion'. For some people that is the worship of a deity, for some it happens to be science (in that instance it can be defined as a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion). Some people could argue that science is behind much suffering, after all without it we would be living in a world without atom bombs, chemical weapons, guns, and all the other paraphernalia needed to destroy. (Yes I am aware of the 'good stuff' outweighing the bad, however couldn't the same be said for religion?) What about football, I wonder how many people who purport to be football fans have simply ridden on the back of it as an excuse to cause chaos. Should we ban football?

In summary, only a fraction of people who subscribe to a religious belief will support or carry out acts of violence and/or terrorism. Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all Catholics are supporters of the IRA.
    Only a fraction of scientists are engaged in developing weapons, the rest are working for the benefit of humanity.

As for the twisted PoS who attacked Westminster, he and people like him will always look for a cause. If it wasn't religion it would be something else. That's how they operate.

We also have to remember that a lot of innocent Muslim people will feel the brunt of a backlash across the UK, people who harbour no terrorist inclinations but will be abused and beaten up just because of the ignorance which fuels the notion that religion (in particular) the Muslim religion, is a front for terrorism.
    Whilst I don't disagree, we have to remember that almost everyone subscribes to their own form of 'religion'. For some people that is the worship of a deity, for some it happens to be science (in that instance it can be defined as a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion). Some people could argue that science is behind much suffering, after all without it we would be living in a world without atom bombs, chemical weapons, guns, and all the other paraphernalia needed to destroy. (Yes I am aware of the 'good stuff' outweighing the bad, however couldn't the same be said for religion?) What about football, I wonder how many people who purport to be football fans have simply ridden on the back of it as an excuse to cause chaos. Should we ban football?

In summary, only a fraction of people who subscribe to a religious belief will support or carry out acts of violence and/or terrorism. Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all Catholics are supporters of the IRA.
    Only a fraction of scientists are engaged in developing weapons, the rest are working for the benefit of humanity.

As for the twisted PoS who attacked Westminster, he and people like him will always look for a cause. If it wasn't religion it would be something else. That's how they operate.

We also have to remember that a lot of innocent Muslim people will feel the brunt of a backlash across the UK, people who harbour no terrorist inclinations but will be abused and beaten up just because of the ignorance which fuels the notion that religion (in particular) the Muslim religion, is a front for terrorism.

This is spot on.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This strikes me as rather defeatist in attitude.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    tanaka123 wrote: »

This is spot on.
    Agreed. Well said.

Ultimately, it is fanatical and irrational devotion to any notion or idea that creates bad behaviour, even if it doesn't in most cases cause people to go on a killing spree. That unfortunately can affect anyone, whether they are religious or not.

We must all be mindful of irrational and overtly emotional notions constantly, as the mind can play tricks. Any sane person should know that murder isn't appropriate, no matter what some 'holy' book written centuries ago spouts, or whether they feel oppressed or believe in an 'eye for an eye'. That's what separates a civilized & rational person from a wild animal, religious or not.

Having said that, the immediate threat these days is unquestionably radical Islamic (or should I say Wahabi) terrorism. It must be eradicated, and by force because the ideology is irrational and can't be reasoned with. Those people and countries who directly or indirectly fund such ideas and Madrassas must be ostracized and not continue to be funded and supplied with weaponry, as they are now.
    We need to do more than just ostracize them.
    @stag I think you're absolutely right. Football for many is a religion. Fact is, religion taps into our biological wiring. It taps into our sense of belonging, our fear of death, our need for assurance, our need for 'set rules' and clarity. I myself am an atheist, but my GF isn't. And through her I see what religion brings. Not that you can't get it without religion, but especially when you grow up in it, it's also part of your identity. So attacking people on their beliefs only does the opposite of what you want to achieve.

@bondjames agree on the part of not being open for reason. The thing is though, it's not the idiots in the middle east beeing the problem here, but half-ars*d idiots whom have all the benefits of living in the west, but can't see it that way.
This discussion has been closed.