Baby Driver (2017)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Was he a muslim

If you want to have a wager he wasn't I'll offer you any odds you like.

But it's important we don't leap to conclusions and blame religion.

Just catching up with this. My thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones and those in critical condition and everyone in London and surrounding areas who have been emotionally impacted. I'm glad they stopped the attacker as soon as they did and hope that some good, strengthening, and unification will come out of this senseless and awful incident.

We were ready,and now now what to strengthen...a horrible thing to say but i would say we did a brilliant job and have learnt even more.

• barryt007 wrote: »
    Just catching up with this. My thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones and those in critical condition and everyone in London and surrounding areas who have been emotionally impacted. I'm glad they stopped the attacker as soon as they did and hope that some good, strengthening, and unification will come out of this senseless and awful incident.

We were ready,and now now what to strengthen...a horrible thing to say but i would say we did a brilliant job and have learnt even more.

Yes, I meant a strengthening of spirit and togetherness among the people, not of police or secret service readiness. From what I've heard, it sounds like everything was handled swiftly and efficiently and so to prevent further loss. That in itself is encouraging.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yes, I meant a strengthening of spirit and togetherness among the people, not of police or secret service readiness. From what I've heard, it sounds like everything was handled swiftly and efficiently and so to prevent further loss. That in itself is encouraging.

It is indeed.

33 people, BBC has now been told,are in hospital,being treated,some very seriously .

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    There has been a comprehensive emergency response plan in place since 7/7/05. It was executed very well today, but it's tragic that it had to be implemented at all.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    PC Keith Palmer..48..19 years service...husband and father ,died today....5 dead,40 people injured,including 3 police officers,some in serious condition.

Deputy Commissioner,Scotland Yard.

The policeman who died today,fighting a terrorist with 2 knives ,unarmed.
    They know the man and are working on it ,but will say no more than ongoing investigation.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Was he a Muslim?

Talk about generalisation, anyone would think this denotes someone is a terrorist?

Many Muslims are appalled by these actions. You might as well say was he Asian?

have u seen the pictures of the body before they covered up his face this evening ? be honest.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Just watching ITV news terrible act, thoughts with the families of the victims.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/22/attack-houses-parliament-london-what-we-know-so-far
    I know its a sensitive topic and the deaths are horrible but the media do turn these things into a feeding frenzy which is partly what the terrorists want. Its also re-inforced by a sector of the public whose first reactions are to whip out their mobile phones and film tragic scenes rather than offer their help or clear the area.
    If you look at how the Brighton hotel bombing was covered, you can see how we have changed as a country and how the stiff upper lip is not quiet as stiff as it used to be.

On another note, some serious questions have to be asked of the Met re why, during a period of "severe threat", it is left to an un armed police officer to lay down his life in an attempt to stop a guy with a knife entering Parliament. That gate is used by many visitors: it could have been much worse.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    patb wrote: »
    I know its a sensitive topic and the deaths are horrible but the media do turn these things into a feeding frenzy which is partly what the terrorists want. Its also re-inforced by a sector of the public whose first reactions are to whip out their mobile phones and film tragic scenes rather than offer their help or clear the area.
    If you look at how the Brighton hotel bombing was covered, you can see how we have changed as a country and how the stiff upper lip is not quiet as stiff as it used to be.

On another note, some serious questions have to be asked of the Met re why, during a period of "severe threat", it is left to an un armed police officer to lay down his life in an attempt to stop a guy with a knife entering Parliament. That gate is used by many visitors: it could have been much worse.

As Bond fans, we know this phenomenon well. Carver's slimy manipulated headlines aren't quite as fantasy as they should be. But papers have to sell, and boy will this news get them off the presses like nothing else.
  • patb wrote: »

That was a question on my mind too: why an unarmed police officer was the first line of defense in this situation. But of course I have no idea what the full circumstances were here, and above all else I commend this brave officer for putting himself unarmed between the attacker and civilians. Exemplary service.
    If there is one place in the UK where you want armed Police at every entrance, its Parliament. There is some spin/arse covering coming from the Met's PR unit:

Our parliamentary protection team are a combination of armed and unarmed officers doing different roles, and sadly the officer who lost his life today was unarmed.

He was supported by armed colleagues who shot and killed the attacker.

[The attacker] tried to enter parliament and was stopped at the gate.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Was he a Muslim?

Talk about generalisation, anyone would think this denotes someone is a terrorist?

W r o n g
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We run into the same trouble in the states, though, even with our infamous pro-gun populace. We've had people able to jump over the White House gate and nearly get right into the building with the secret service acting only just in time. For how surveyed and protected that area is, it's embarrassing and inexcusable.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Thoughts and prayers to the people of London. Sadly these cowardly acts of terrorism cost innocent lives. Innocent people taken from us by the scum of the earth.
    Benny wrote: »
    Thoughts and prayers to the people of London. Sadly these cowardly acts of terrorism cost innocent lives. Innocent people taken from us by the scum of the earth.

+1
    Couldn't have said it better myself
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What a horrible comment from that woman.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus

It's an anti-religion statement I guess. Implying the people who committed the act did it because of their religious beliefs and that people 'praying' are responding with religious beliefs.
  • Callous remark. No idea why it was linked to here. All personal beliefs aside, expressing heartfelt sympathy is not the same as stabbing people in the streets. There is a time for grieving and extending hands and a time for pushing agendas. I think today calls for the first of the two.
    Relegion is fine when your not a jihadist
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Callous remark. No idea why it was linked to here. All personal beliefs aside, expressing heartfelt sympathy is not the same as stabbing people in the streets. There is a time for grieving and extending hands and a time for pushing agendas. I think today calls for the first of the two.

Agreed.
    Relegion is fine when your not a jihadist

Agreed.
    She's a radio presenter, so maybe that comment will cost her the job. People's lives and careers have been ruined from far less than a statement like that.
  • She's a radio presenter, so maybe that comment will cost her the job. People's lives and careers have been ruined from far less than a statement like that.

She likely will, yes. Just a senseless comment to make, regardless of her job, and one that doesn't help anyone or serve her purpose at all.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 2,721
    She's a radio presenter, so maybe that comment will cost her the job. People's lives and careers have been ruined from far less than a statement like that.

I know nothing about her but I'd imagine it would be audience-baiting in line with her established persona?

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Was he a Muslim?

Indeed. Back in 1979, would we have asked, "Was he Irish" or "Was he Catholic?" No. It would have been, "Was he IRA?"

Same thing, folks.

The question to ask is "Was he ISIS" or "Was he Al Qaeda?"
    What a horrible comment from that woman.

I think she was getting at the role of religion. Obviously, this woman has a bone to pick with all religions--I can't say I disagree. But the Tweet was poorly-timed and poorly worded.

That said: yes, thoughts and prayers are with my friends across the pond.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,554
    This thread could go south quicker than Franz Sanchez...
This discussion has been closed.