Addicted or not.. 007 disrupting your life ?

13»

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited January 2017 Posts: 2,721
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Quit smoking almost eight years ago. Never picked it up again. That's still one of the best decisions of my life.

I concur best thing I have done in recent years, I don't miss having a tight chest whilst cycling.

Mr Osato believes in a healthy chest
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Everyday smoking is horrible. You just don t realize exactly how bad it is while you are at it.
    I can imagine the Spectre female Henchman job questionnaire would be as follows...

Red Hair :-bd
    Healthy Chest :-bd

Helga Brandt you have got the job ;))

• LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    edited January 2017 Posts: 167
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @LordBrettSinclair, I read your previous post (which you since deleted) on the same subject and so I had a better context of what you went through. I honestly sympathize. All I can say is don't let one bad apple spoil the whole barrel. Life is too short.

Yes, I totally agree on Moore in The Saint, & The Persuaders (your avatar) is one of my favourites as well. Hail Sir Rog!
    edited January 2017 Posts: 167
    @LordBrettSinclair Does your silent posts mean you are determined to go down the smoking route ?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    @LordBrettSinclair Does your silent posts mean you are determined to go down the smoking route ?

Decided not to give any personal information anymore on forum. It is still a great thread, you are one of the good guys @barryt007

barryt007 wrote: »

Decided not to give any personal information anymore on forum. It is still a great thread, you are one of the good guys @barryt007

Aaah ok....thats fine,i hope that no idiot has put you off things..if you need a chat just message me ....

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Bond needs to smoke 70 cigarettes a day. He was self-destructive.

Yes, and Ian Fleming probably was too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Probably? He was 56!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Probably? He was 56!

That's a point!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I started smoking when I was 13. Far too young to be doing that. Kept it up until I was in my late teens because I actually enjoyed it. I quit then for a few years, before falling back into the trap again. Working in media production often meant that smoking allowed for a quick 5 minute "breather" on stressful shoots. Eventually though, I stopped enjoying it like I once did and now I'm cigarette free for almost six months. Can't imagine what smoking 70 a day would do to a human.
  • One of Fleming's doctors reported that at one point Fleming said he was consuming 70 cigarettes and one bottle of gin per day. Who knows how large of a bottle that was, though, or whether Fleming was exaggerating. Considering he had something like three heart attacks before the last one did him in, he probably wasn't exaggerating by much.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    That's what he smoked, if, as has been pointed out, Bond's habits reflected his own. One of the books did have it at 50, I believe to be fair, he fluctuates. He actually cuts down to less than 20 in one of the novels, when he is in training for a long swim.

That was in LALD. I still remember when I first read that novel I was astonished.

He is training to survive a long, dangerous swim and "only" smokes a pack a day? That's still quite a lot of smoking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fleming was projecting, and was probably in denial.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Like Bond, I think Fleming was very self-aware of just who he was. Of course he also had a lot of private trauma that he fed into the character over time. He has a mid-life crisis, he gives Bond an existential one. He loses a lover in the tragedy of conflict, Bond finds love and loses it just as fast. He had a way of making Bond feel his pain, and you can sometimes see the autobiography of it all in there.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I find the stuff about Tracy's mental health in OHMSS, and her recovery with the help of clinical treatment and Bond, especially poignant given how Ann Fleming struggled.