Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

• edited August 2022 Posts: 1,280
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    @dramaticscenesofQOS I have not listened to Conjure One feat. Aruna - Still Holding On prior to you mentioning it in relation to Bond, just listened to it now its a good track, I am not familiar with the group.

QoS is one of my favorite scores, I think its Arnold's best.

From the first few seconds....you can imagine Bond having shot someone or getting shot and the repercussions or emotional consequences thereof from the event.

And then there's the theme of Bond's perseverance factor running well into the middle and end of the song....we really missed out on that.

@dramaticscenesofQOS was David Arnold supposed to work on the song too? Conjure One, like Enigma & Era are great groups, but surely those aren't the sort of groups one immediately thinks of when Bond comes to mind. But with Arnold involved, it can become Bondian.

I don't know but there are a lot of songs David Arnold worked behind the scenes with. He's the kind of composer who gets really involved even if things aren't set in stone yet because of his enthusiasm. He had worked with artists who were supposed to do the song for QoS.

The moment you hear "There's nothing I won't do"....reminds me of Queen and Country being a theme for Bond's loyalty to his duty. I could hear some of the melancholic tones David Arnold emphasized throughout the QoS soundtrack in a way with this song Conjure One made about moving in after heartbreak.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    @dramaticscenesofQOS I have not listened to Conjure One feat. Aruna - Still Holding On prior to you mentioning it in relation to Bond, just listened to it now its a good track, I am not familiar with the group.

From the first few seconds....you can imagine Bond having shot someone or getting shot and the repercussions or emotional consequences thereof from the event.

And then there's the theme of Bond's perseverance factor running well into the middle and end of the song....we really missed out on that.

@dramaticscenesofQOS was David Arnold supposed to work on the song too? Conjure One, like Enigma & Era are great groups, but surely those aren't the sort of groups one immediately thinks of when Bond comes to mind. But with Arnold involved, it can become Bondian.

I don't know but there are a lot of songs David Arnold worked behind the scenes with. He's the kind of composer who gets really involved even if things aren't set in stone yet because of his enthusiasm. He had worked with artists who were supposed to do the song for QoS.

The moment you hear "There's nothing I won't do"....reminds me of Queen and Country being a theme for Bond's loyalty to his duty. I could hear some of the melancholic tones David Arnold emphasized throughout the QoS soundtrack in a way with this song Conjure One made about moving in after heartbreak.

Hmmmmmm. I would have to give the song a more deep listen.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,247
    Yeah @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Arnold's QoS score is great. I have grown to like Newman's SF score, but I can't help but imagine what Arnold would have done with SF, considering it was Bond's 50th anniversary, plus him being a fanboy like us. He would have done something truly special with that score. I can easily imagine a Celtic-style Bond sound/theme when Bond & M arrive at the Skyfall Lodge in Scotland, if Arnold had scored it.

Arnold would have no doubt included a lot of nods from the past 50 years in a 50th Anniversary score.

I was listening to SF score yesterday, I like the first part of the Album up to the track The Chrimera. As soon as Silva appears I lose interest in the film and the score.

I am not a fan of Newman generally speaking, a lot of his work in movies falls a bit flat for me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just so happen to appreciate his Bond scores more these days though.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    In the latter half of the Skyfall score, I enjoy Kill Them First (the ominous brass chords and tense rhythmic strings) and Welcome to Scotland. And Old Dog, New Tricks, one of the best album cuts. I don't recall the last time we had something with a loungy sound. That's a sexy, glittering, dreamy piece of music.

@mattjoes You're so right! Old Dog, New Tricks is exactly the description you gave it. I listen to it often. Tracks like Silhouette, Severine, Modigliani, Komodo Dragon....especially the first few seconds of it shows that Newman knew John Barry's style, but didn't want to fully go for it.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,273
    Tomorrow Never Dies OST (PlayStation) - Track 11/16 - Outpost

Tomorrow Never Dies OST (PlayStation) - Track 12/16 - Infrared

I quite like this track.
    Agreed @Fire_and_Ice_Returns great tracks from that score by Tommy Tallarico. I've always liked the score and the fact that Tallarico sprinkled Arnold's Surrender into the score makes it all the more great. Also, I find myself listening more to the track Media Tower whenever I visit the score.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Good stuff. I've never listened to that TND score all the way through. Tommy Tallarico worked on the soundtrack of MDK, which is great music and a great video game as well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Its the first time i have listened to the Game Score all the way through, i will go back to it is actually really good, i am surprised. I would have welcomed some of these variations of themes in the film.

I've also loved this Quantum Of Solace game score by Christopher Lennertz. He really understands the Bond Sound and even adds Arnold's style to the score.

I've also loved this Quantum Of Solace game score by Christopher Lennertz. He really understands the Bond Sound and even adds Arnold's style to the score.

I like those especially The Echo Hotel from 1:00. I had the game on Xbox 360.
  • GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Arnold's QoS score is great. I have grown to like Newman's SF score, but I can't help but imagine what Arnold would have done with SF, considering it was Bond's 50th anniversary, plus him being a fanboy like us. He would have done something truly special with that score. I can easily imagine a Celtic-style Bond sound/theme when Bond & M arrive at the Skyfall Lodge in Scotland, if Arnold had scored it.

Arnold would have no doubt included a lot of nods from the past 50 years in a 50th Anniversary score.

I was listening to SF score yesterday, I like the first part of the Album up to the track The Chrimera. As soon as Silva appears I lose interest in the film and the score.

I am not a fan of Newman generally speaking, a lot of his work in movies falls a bit flat for me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just so happen to appreciate his Bond scores more these days though.
    In the latter half of the Skyfall score, I enjoy Kill Them First (the ominous brass chords and tense rhythmic strings) and Welcome to Scotland. And Old Dog, New Tricks, one of the best album cuts. I don't recall the last time we had something with a loungy sound. That's a sexy, glittering, dreamy piece of music.

@mattjoes You're so right! Old Dog, New Tricks is exactly the description you gave it. I listen to it often. Tracks like Silhouette, Severine, Modigliani, Komodo Dragon....especially the first few seconds of it shows that Newman knew John Barry's style, but didn't want to fully go for it.

All those cues you guys have listed are wonderful. I too prefer the score from the first half of Skyfall, but "Tennyson" and "Enquiry" are pretty rousing action cues and I love “She's Mine” with its Thunderball-esque horns. “Old Dog, New Tricks” is a great cue too. A little fun trivia: this was Newman’s original music for “Close Shave.” Mendes asked him to rewrite it because his first take was too suggestive for what he wanted for the scene. Still a great bit of music though. It closes out my own personalized Skyfall album.

I like those especially The Echo Hotel from 1:00. I had the game on Xbox 360.

Wow.....talk about respecting David Arnold's work and the upkeep of how things were at the beginning of the Craig Era up to SF....
  • Its the first time i have listened to the Game Score all the way through, i will go back to it is actually really good, i am surprised. I would have welcomed some of these variations of themes in the film.

What did you think of I'll Take it All by Joss Stone in Bloodstone?

Did you listen to it again?

Yes. I did. I'm actually a fan of Conjure One. But until you mentioned it, I have never envisaged them doing a Bond theme. But listening to it again, it could have worked more with Arnold adding his signature style to it.

Yes. I did. I'm actually a fan of Conjure One. But until you mentioned it, I have never envisaged them doing a Bond theme. But listening to it again, it could have worked more with Arnold adding his signature style to it.

Totally could have worked if Arnold added his style to it. Arnold is like Ken Adams of music....his style is unique and unforgettable.

In Still Holding On, I get a lot of the Vesper character vibes but knowing how SF wanted to re-reboot Bond again too soon like that....Gone, it faded to gray as the song says.

Like most Bond title sequence songs, this one can easily have been shortened while keeping the beats at the end where she sings "Still Holding on to love...." in transitioning from the sequence art to the poast intro scene very smoothly akin to AVTAK etc...

Totally could have worked if Arnold added his style to it. Arnold is like Ken Adams of music....his style is unique and unforgettable.

In Still Holding On, I get a lot of the Vesper character vibes but knowing how SF wanted to re-reboot Bond again too soon like that....Gone, it faded to gray as the song says.

Like most Bond title sequence songs, this one can easily have been shortened while keeping the beats at the end where she sings "Still Holding on to love...." in transitioning from the sequence art to the poast intro scene very smoothly akin to AVTAK etc...

Yes. It definitely would have worked with Arnold and he would have shortened the song....at least to 3mins+

Best part - 0:59:
    L’amore non, non è mai trasparente
    Non è come un diamante
    Non brilla mai
    Solo per te

(Love is never, never simple
    It is not like a diamond
    It never sparkles
    Only for you)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Non è come un diamante
    Non brilla mai
    Solo per te

It is not like a diamond
    It never sparkles
    Only for you)

Never heard this before. That s brilliant, the Italian language suits the song.

Non è come un diamante
    Non brilla mai
    Solo per te

It is not like a diamond
    It never sparkles
    Only for you)

This is nice.
    The Palio

QoS for me has echo's of Bernard Herrmann at times, I think that's why its one of my favorites.
    I have been listening to some re-recordings John Barry made of his Bond music during the 1960s, and unlike most re-recordings these are excellent!

First, here's a killer version of the Bond theme. This is now one of my favorite renditions:

Here's the 007 theme:

And here's another instrumental version of FRWL:

edited August 2022 Posts: 6,718
    I love those tracks. Discovering those Barry re-recordings after some years of listening to the soundtracks was a source of great joy to me.

I love the razor-sharp, biting brass in the B-section of that Bond theme re-recording, especially the low brass.

That re-recording always reminds me of this other one, done a few years before, also by Barry.

Now I'm wondering if perhaps the gunshot chords at 1:13 were sampled for the GoldenEye trailer music. Listen to 0:21 here.

I'm not sure though. Edit: Of course they were sampled, the brass buildup near the end of the GE track also samples the ending of the Bond theme in that re-recording. If I ever knew this, I forgot about it. I learnt something today!
    This is the other FRWL version Barry recorded that I love. I give it a marginal edge over the one Revelator posted above.

I posted this like two months ago, but I can't get enough of it. Genius arrangement. Best part? The build up and climax from 3:05 onwards. Pure euphoria.

24 more like these in October? Please, please!

That was interesting, the melody might be the same but everything else isn't. Completely different chord progression.
    Revelator wrote: »
    I have been listening to some re-recordings John Barry made of his Bond music during the 1960s, and unlike most re-recordings these are excellent!

First, here's a killer version of the Bond theme. This is now one of my favorite renditions:

Here's the 007 theme:

And here's another instrumental version of FRWL:

Great Album I often listen to these versions of the tracks.
    I love those tracks. Discovering those Barry re-recordings after some years of listening to the soundtracks was a source of great joy to me.

I love the razor-sharp, biting brass in the B-section of that Bond theme re-recording, especially the low brass.

That re-recording always reminds me of this other one, done a few years before, also by Barry.

Now I'm wondering if perhaps the gunshot chords at 1:13 were sampled for the GoldenEye trailer music. Listen to 0:21 here.

I'm not sure though. Edit: Of course they were sampled, the brass buildup near the end of the GE track also samples the ending of the Bond theme in that re-recording. If I ever knew this, I forgot about it. I learnt something today!

Love that piece of music i still recall watching the trailer for the first time in the cinema and being so hyped, it was very slick.
    vzok wrote: »

From DC last 3 films I tend to visit this title track the most, It's a pretty good song to be honest.
    All the way back in 80's this was one of my go to Bond album's on Vinyl before I started buying the official scores, so I have some fondness for this.

Great/ Big Bond movie themes. Thunderball. Geoff Love.

Great/Big Bond movie themes. Casino Royale. Geoff Love.
    All the way back in 80's this was one of my go to Bond album's on Vinyl before I started buying the official scores, so I have some fondness for this.

On the strength of those two tracks, I ended up listening to the whole album. Very cool! The only thing I didn't care that much about were the more obvious Japanese flourishes in YOLT. But overall, a very cool listen indeed. Roland Shaw now has competition in my mind.

I only knew of Geoff Love by name because artist Sean Longmore made a hypothetical cover for a new album of Bond recordings by him:

FDSZ78GXoAkAxWT.jpg:large

Earlier, someone, I don't remember if you or GadgetMan, posted some music from the QoS video game. I wanted to say I've always loved that main menu music.

Murdock wrote: »
    Thanks @fire_and_Ice, I also did a second version using music from 007 Blood Stone. :)
    Five years later this post is still useful. I don't think I'd heard that track before, but I love it. Fits the scene, too.

On the strength of those two tracks, I ended up listening to the whole album. Very cool! The only thing I didn't care that much about were the more obvious Japanese flourishes in YOLT. But overall, a very cool listen indeed. Roland Shaw now has competition in my mind.

Earlier, someone, I don't remember if you or GadgetMan, posted some music from the QoS video game. I wanted to say I've always loved that main menu music.

Murdock wrote: »
    Thanks @fire_and_Ice, I also did a second version using music from 007 Blood Stone. :)
    Five years later this post is still useful. I don't think I'd heard that track before, but I love it. Fits the scene, too.

Way back when I listened to a lot of Big Band record's usually movie scores on vinyl, film scores were difficult to get hold off back then and at an early age not that accessible to me. Those Big Band albums are far from perfect though very much of the time.

The Blood Stone edit is fantastic.