Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

GadgetMan wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Pretty cool theme by David Arnold for a 2019 N.Peal commercial.

Agreed! Awesome track by Arnold! YOLT & QoS feel in it. That's Capaule in Space & Night at the Opera. YOLT is one of Arnold's favourite Bond films, so it's no surprise.

Yeah, the beginning is totally QoS.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Can't get enough of the theme at 1:31. It's fifty seconds of brilliance, especially when the flutes and the brass are playing together. The piece could go on forever as far as I'm concerned. The cranked up vibraphone reverb makes it sound like you're underwater, or floating above the sky. I love it when music strikes an emotional tone like this. It's not happy, sad or suspenseful, but an ethereal in-between.

Bond Smells a Rat

DAF score is ridiculously good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 6,682
    Hoping for an official album release at some point.

The synth flute and the guitar are so pleasing to the ear. I love how they switched a few notes of the guitar melody.

---

One of my favorite Bond soundtrack covers. Roland Shaw was always knocking these out of the park. Love how the guitar decides to stick around for the B-section (0:54).

This isn't a Bond song but it's David Arnold. The intro is unbeatable, an injection of Bond directly into the vein. I like this alternative version without the beat. Björk's voice is a tad too high-pitched for me, but she can sure as hell sing.

This version of Thunderball really grew on me over the years. I love those piccolos at 3:35.

Love this version of Propellerheads' OHMSS, great companion piece to the main version. So much fun to hear all those orchestral flourishes by themselves.

Highlights for me: The really low guitar early on, and the part at 4:00 where we can hear the strings by themselves. Of the many mixes of this theme, this is only one I know where that is the case. That part is very 90s.

Love 0:57.

I love the whole track, but I especially appreciate the short string phrases at 3:00. The music in that part conveys the feeling something is spiralling out of control.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Some great tracks there @mattjoes I have always been a fan of Bjork and especially Play Dead, i have posted this before though it really does fit well thematically with the Title sequence...

OHMSS from Shaken And Stirred sounds different to whats on the Album unless I am mistaken? was that an unreleased track?
    OHMSS from Shaken And Stirred sounds different to whats on the Album unless I am mistaken? was that an unreleased track?

Yes, it sounds different. It's only the orchestra, no percussion or synths. It's the cleverly titled Orchapella version, not included on Shaken and Stirred, only on the single.

https://www.discogs.com/master/7964-Propellerheads-David-Arnold-On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service

---

Play Dead fits Spectre quite well.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The James Bond Theme - Count Basie (3:49)

I consider this instrumental a near-essential supplement to the TWINE OST.

I love the "woodwindy" sound of this version of DAD by the Las Vegas International Philharmonic. Though my favorite part is at 1:17. And halfway through, the piece turns into a fugue for a few bars!

I consider this instrumental a near-essential supplement to the TWINE OST.

I love the "woodwindy" sound of this version of DAD by the Las Vegas International Philharmonic. Though my favorite part is at 1:17. And halfway through, the piece turns into a fugue for a few bars!

Pretty good, Arnold was one of the highlights of PB's era for me I frequently listen to his scores.
    The James Bond Theme - Count Basie (3:49)

I can visualize walking into a Jazz Bar whilst this was playing, its pretty cool.
    We Have All The Time In The World (from On Her Majesty's Secret Service)

I love this version.
    We Have All The Time In The World (from On Her Majesty's Secret Service)

I love this version.
    Very nice version, listening to it is like eating chocolate.

I still like to listen to the original mix of the Bond theme from the LALD OST. I enjoy its "flatter" sound and the fact its pitch is ever-so-slightly lower.

I was introduced to this nice remaster of the GE64 soundtrack when @Milovy used it in a trailer for a hypothetical GE film starring Timothy Dalton. I particularly enjoy track 2, Dam. That awesome descending phrase heard at 3:38, which was played on (I think) celesta in the original track, is moved down one or more octaves and played on piano. It sounds great.

My man Rich Douglas delivering the goods with a high-quality orchestral take on the music of the TWINE video game. I love the first track, sheer awesomeness, especially those short phrases on low brass and strings.

A Pleasant Drive In St. Petersburg

Just treated myself to a Sound Blaster GC7 for my birthday, listening to the GE Score (HD version) on my PC from my collection wow this sounds amazing. I do appreciate this Score more as time passes its unique within the series.
    Ren Harvieu - You Only Live Twice & Nobody Does It Better - James Bond Concert

I have posted this before though i often revisit this performance, Ren really is good. These songs are not easy to sing live.
    Mister Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

John Barry at his very best.

I have posted this before though i often revisit this performance, Ren really is good. These songs are not easy to sing live.
    Nice renditions. The lady has a very pleasant timbre.

I'm paraphrasing, but David Arnold did say something in an interview about the B-section of YOLT (and love is a stranger...) being kind of uncomfortable to sing.

Mister Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

John Barry at his very best.
    That brass at the beginning is so satisfying. I like the piano that replaces the harpsichord in the last part.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 6,682
    Listening to this:

1:04 to 1:16 is heaven.

Now this:

It's very nice and heartwarming. Very dynamic too; it's always shifting between highs and lows, loud and quiet, dense and sparse. And the thick sound of the finger cymbals at the center of the mix.

You know? It reminds me a bit of Statue Dance from Deadfall. Emotionally, they are aiming for different things, but there are similarities.

Just heard it, had to repost it right away. Brilliant.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,247

All great tracks above, Guys. I'm really enjoying this last one at the moment. Sounds like what David Arnold would have done, if he remixed Barry's stellar TLD score.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,105

Nice renditions. The lady has a very pleasant timbre.

I'm paraphrasing, but David Arnold did say something in an interview about the B-section of YOLT (and love is a stranger...) being kind of uncomfortable to sing.

That part of this live performance always stands out for me, Ren handles that moment very well I like what she does with the lyric.

I always thought JB's AVTAK score belonged to a much better film, though I do like Sir Rogers last outing it is littered with problems.

Excellent I listened to that yesterday, I subscribed to the channel after you posted tracks from there previously.

All great tracks above, Guys. I'm really enjoying this last one at the moment. Sounds like what David Arnold would have done, if he remixed Barry's stellar TLD score.

I am still hoping Arnold will return, probably unlikely now though who knows.
  • In lieu of two soundtracks for SF and SP I've been watching pretitle sequences to a superimposed musical track of Still Holding On is a track by Conjure One which was originally intended to be produced as a Bond song for one of the films after CR before it was eventually released by the time SP came out. It has elements of Bond's inner and outward battles with this villains.

QoS is the latest soundtrack I listened to a after hearing all of the Bond soundtracks again... this one soundtrack has aged well to stand the test of time. In most soundtracks you could just hear echos of the time period too much that it can become trite sometimes.

The Conjure One song is such a loss in lieu of how producers wanted to get hip new artists to do the songs often
    @dramaticscenesofQOS I have not listened to Conjure One feat. Aruna - Still Holding On prior to you mentioning it in relation to Bond, just listened to it now its a good track, I am not familiar with the group.

QoS is one of my favorite scores, I think its Arnold's best.
    Yeah @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Arnold's QoS score is great. I have grown to like Newman's SF score, but I can't help but imagine what Arnold would have done with SF, considering it was Bond's 50th anniversary, plus him being a fanboy like us. He would have done something truly special with that score. I can easily imagine a Celtic-style Bond sound/theme when Bond & M arrive at the Skyfall Lodge in Scotland, if Arnold had scored it.
    Yeah @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Arnold's QoS score is great. I have grown to like Newman's SF score, but I can't help but imagine what Arnold would have done with SF, considering it was Bond's 50th anniversary, plus him being a fanboy like us. He would have done something truly special with that score. I can easily imagine a Celtic-style Bond sound/theme when Bond & M arrive at the Skyfall Lodge in Scotland, if Arnold had scored it.

Arnold would have no doubt included a lot of nods from the past 50 years in a 50th Anniversary score.

I was listening to SF score yesterday, I like the first part of the Album up to the track The Chrimera. As soon as Silva appears I lose interest in the film and the score.

I am not a fan of Newman generally speaking, a lot of his work in movies falls a bit flat for me.
    In the latter half of the Skyfall score, I enjoy Kill Them First (the ominous brass chords and tense rhythmic strings) and Welcome to Scotland. And Old Dog, New Tricks, one of the best album cuts. I don't recall the last time we had something with a loungy sound. That's a sexy, glittering, dreamy piece of music.
  • @dramaticscenesofQOS I have not listened to Conjure One feat. Aruna - Still Holding On prior to you mentioning it in relation to Bond, just listened to it now its a good track, I am not familiar with the group.

From the first few seconds....you can imagine Bond having shot someone or getting shot and the repercussions or emotional consequences thereof from the event.

And then there's the theme of Bond's perseverance factor running well into the middle and end of the song....we really missed out on that.
    @dramaticscenesofQOS I have not listened to Conjure One feat. Aruna - Still Holding On prior to you mentioning it in relation to Bond, just listened to it now its a good track, I am not familiar with the group.

From the first few seconds....you can imagine Bond having shot someone or getting shot and the repercussions or emotional consequences thereof from the event.

And then there's the theme of Bond's perseverance factor running well into the middle and end of the song....we really missed out on that.

@dramaticscenesofQOS was David Arnold supposed to work on the song too? Conjure One, like Enigma & Era are great groups, but surely those aren't the sort of groups one immediately thinks of when Bond comes to mind. But with Arnold involved, it can become Bondian.