Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, sir. And people say there's superhero fatigue...nonsense.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    @doubleoego 3rd time in a row that the first superhero film of the year is excellent - Deadpool in 2016, Logan in 2017 and now Black Panther in 2018.

All three based on Marvel properties... Coincidence?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not interested in the movie itself, but that's a great IMAX poster:

blackpantherimax.jpg
    100%
    Average Rating: 8.6/10
    Reviews Counted: 50
    Fresh: 50
    Rotten: 0
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Id hate to be the first critic that gives it a negative review, they’re probably going to be eaten alive in Twitter.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Got my traditional T'Challa outfit sorted. I'm ready for this film!

DVbljVYXkAAbdze?format=jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You look badass, @doubleoego! The "too awesome to be competed with" kind.
    Haha! Thanks, mate.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Are you copying his accent as well?
    Now you've gotta Photoshop your face atop Boseman's, so it seems like Peter Travers is deeming you a "masterpiece."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    It didn't reveal much. Good for them.

But, are they aiming to reinvigorate Eddie Brock as a primary character of his own? Because I can't see him being a protagonist. Only an anti-hero at best, unless they are dramatically changing the character.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Perhaps that is in fact what they're doing. The Punisher has been reasonably successful so I can see a similar tack.
    Yes, but The Punisher wasn't different from the source material.

It was Garth Ennis' take on the character come to life.
    Yes, that's a good point and I'll admit that I'm not that familiar with the source material for Venom. This is a Sony effort, so I have my doubts, but the trailer does look interesting.
    True. Although, how are they going to integrate Tom Holland's Spider-Man in this is what I find mysterious.
    Another good point. Spidey as currently defined is a much lighter take and this film seems much darker in tone (which I like).
    Oh, I like that, too.

What I meant was... this film isn't set in the MCU, but Holland's Spidey exists in this universe.

I wonder how are they going to ignore the Avengers' presence.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not sure how they will pull it off. Is Holland meant to have a big role in this film or just a cameo?
    That's not reported, as of yet. But, Amy Pascal said he will appear in it. I'm guessing it's a cameo.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Still not sure what to think of Venom. I am not sold.
    I will say, for a superhero movie trailer, it didn't look bad or immediately turn me off. That's always good.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,694
    @doubleoego when will you be seeing Black Panther? I'm going on Wednesday next week (the 14th).
    edited February 2018 Posts: 11,139
    @doubleoego when will you be seeing Black Panther? I'm going on Wednesday next week (the 14th).

I'll be first seeing it on Tuesday. Booked the day off from work. Will be seeing it 2 or 3 times alone that day.

Mark Kermode's review:

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,257
    I’m pretty bummed I scheduled a medical procedure for this Friday morning because it means I will have to forgo Black Panther’s Thursday evening IMAX screening. Hopefully I can make it to the theater this weekend.

From the little I’ve seen, this film seems to have a much smaller-scale plot that focuses more on personal and emotional issues. That sounds refreshing. I think we’ve all grown tired of armies of disposable minions or antagonists who are evil just for the sake of being evil.
    Saw Black Panther TWICE yesterday!

It was phenomenal. Will give full review in a little while.

edited February 2018 Posts: 15,694
    Just came back from Black Panther: amazing film, probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite MCU film (Winter Soldier still my favorite of the whole lot). Incredible action scenes, killer soundtrack, great performances all round from Chadwick Boseman, Martin Freeman, Forrest Whitaker, Michael B Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Daniel Kaluuya, Andy Serkis and all the others I forget the name of. I will probably do like @doubleoego and watch it again in the coming days. It was so entertaining! The 2 hour 15 minutes runtime flew by.
    @doubleoego, @DaltonCraig007, is the CGI significantly better than in the trailers?