Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote:
    the one Marvel property I'm desperate to see come to the big screen in full glory, Black Panther.
    Oh, me TOO!!
    Back in the old days I wanted Denzel Washington for the part. Now a great relative unknown would rock, like how they found Christopher Reeve for Superman,,,,
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Black Panther, Doctor Strange, they're all great characters that I really want to see on the screen. I think part of the problem for both of those characters, and something that I thought would have been a problem for the Guardians, is finding a story that can fill 90-120 minutes of screen time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, Dr.Strange has already been green-lit as part of phase 3 with directors being seriously looked at.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=115143
  • I'm mostly mad that this movie got Batista a title run, but it looks okay. My brother thinks it looks terrible, but we'll end up seeing it anyway.
    Am I the only person who thinks Chris Pratt aka star lord could actually be a decent Nathan Drake in an Unchartered movie?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    Well, Dr.Strange has already been green-lit as part of phase 3 with directors being seriously looked at.

They already have four directors in the running to direct, too.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    Creasy47 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

They already have four directors in the running to direct, too.

I swear it just happened! My uncle is a Marvel bluff, and I just commented him on what you're saying... And he appointed as a potential candidate for the part... No one but Timothy Dalton. He doesn't know this is a Bond forum. Funny...
    My opinion about it all : Why ? I mean, are all the more famous Marvel characters already taken that they have to go for the less famous ones already ? Now, don't get me wrong, the movie might be great (and the trailer looks promising, but aren't they all ?), but still, it seems to come out of left field (especially since, for me, Guardians of the Galaxy refers to the team from the future that appeared in the seventies, and here, I just showed my age).
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Gerard wrote:
    My opinion about it all : Why ? I mean, are all the more famous Marvel characters already taken that they have to go for the less famous ones already ?

Ironman wasn't really that famous until the Ironman movie was released. I like that they are going for the more unknown names, it gives more variety. At this point I'm starting to get tired of some of the more known names like Spider-Man (and he's one of my favorites), Iron-Man, and X-Men.
    It's easier for a character to become popular if they have their own movie. That's why I'm pulling for a few movies like Namor the Submariner, MoonKnight, Black Panther, Iron-Fist, and Luke Cage (I think the last two actually have their own miniseries coming to Netflix next year).
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Iron Fist and Luke Cage are a part of the Netflix series, alongside Jessica Jones and Daredevil, and then the four of them are to become the Defenders in a miniseries. I'm hoping that Frank Castle gets either his own show, or a guest spot on a different show (I'd love to see him as an anti-hero on an episode of Agents of SHIELD).
    Gerard wrote:
    I mean, are all the more famous Marvel characters already taken that they have to go for the less famous ones already ?

How many Marvel heroes are really famous? I mean, really, think about it. The Hulk, thanks to the TV series in the 80s. Spider-Man, because he's Marvel's Mickey Mouse. The X-Men, mostly because of Wolverine and the many cartoons. Maybe the Fantastic Four, but I've met plenty of people who don't know who they are, and that's after the two films from last decade. Iron Man, as was already said, didn't really become popular until 2008, Marvel Thor didn't really come to prominence until 2011, people still don't know who the Guardians, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are.

These heroes need recognition, they need to be known. How many people that you know can tell you who Ka-Zar is? How many of them know who Moon Knight, or Cloak & Dagger are? There's a lot of great Marvel characters that can be used, and just because they're not as famous doesn't mean they're not good.
    See, the thing is, Marvel have so many amazing characters and brilliant stories to tell but in itder to bring them to life on the big screen, Marvel Studios really need to prove themselves on the lesser known properties. Marvel have seen success with the big guns properties they still own but for audiences and fans to see more of their properties, testing the waters and garnering success with the likes of antman/giant man, GoTG (the film is based on the newly revised version if the group and not the originals) will endure that Marvel Studios is a strong enough brand to make what ever film they want. Look at James Cameron; he's a brand unto himself. Whatever film he makes it will make serious money and that's where Marvel are heading. That being said, I want my black panther movie!
  • I want a Black Panther movie as well.

This movie looks like Firefly...and it shows the tone that last three star wars films should have gone down.

With the old Del Toro connection, can someone spoof 'the usual suspects' police line up with the guardian's line up, pretty please?
    I am really excited for GotG. It seems like Marvel might confirm the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a classic for the years to come if GotG becomes huge hit. Judging from the trailer this really seems like the GotG I was expecting. More humor with good characters and action. This seems like THE summer movie of the year
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yep. Joss Whedonish-like fun.
    Well, ever since he signed on to direct The Avengers in 2010, he has pretty much become Uatu the Watcher (willing to bet that's another character most people don't know about, put him in a movie) over the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He did script polishing on both Thors (including directing the first Thor's post-credits scene), he added the ties in Captain America: The First Avenger, like the opening and ending scenes, Howard Stark's involvement and that sort of thing, and he created Agents of SHIELD.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 7,854
    G*ddamnit, double posted.
  • All coming together for the big bang third avengers movie with the infinity gauntlet and Thanos showdown.

DC are dead in the water.
    To see the watcher on screen would be amazing but I don't foresee that happening until post phase 3 even though he could feasibly show up in any post credits scene, particularly Avengers 2, GoTG or the third Thor movie. It's so exciting to be a true believer. Excelsior!
    DC are dead in the water.

DC's always been dead as far as movies go. There were two good Superman flicks in the late 70s/early 80s, then two sh*t ones. Then there were two good Batman flicks in the late 80s/early 90s (I'm seeing a pattern here...), then two sh*t ones. Superman failed again in 2006, while Batman went strong from 2005 to 2012. Then Superman was rebooted with Man of Steel which... is mixed. Some like it, others hate it, there appears to be no outrageous fans of it, but it's still getting a BatFleck sequel. Then there's Green Lantern, which sucked.

Marvel, on the other hand, has pretty much been going strong since X-Men debuted in 2000, with a couple misses (Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance).

DC just doesn't have a strong load of characters, like Marvel does. The are only two that can really hold a movie, one that might be able to in Wonder Woman, and a whole plethora of characters who can only work in either animation or as supporting characters (and notice, if you will, DC's animated films seem to be stuck on Superman, Batman and Justice League, with a couple others in Wonder Woman and Green Lantern). Sure, Green Arrow's doing well on TV as a rip-off of the Dark Knight Trilogy, and there's hope that the future Flash spin-off will be good, but otherwise, DC's characters are only really good on the comic book page.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,527
    I think DC needs to focus primarily on its Batman - Superman universes. While they may be 'only' two heroes, compared to Marvel's plethora of successful superheroes, the Batman universe alone is loaded with great characters overall. When done right - please re-read those three words - Catwoman can easily carry her own movie. When done right, so can Nightwing. Also, neither Batman nor Superman need to try to mimic Avengers but instead they need to search for those qualities that make them unique, and exploit them. What Nolan did, and what caused his Batman trilogy to be so successful (among other things) is the fact that he didn't try to go for Raimi's Spider-Man, Iron Man or The Avengers. He respected the limitations of the Batman universe but at the same time dug deep enough to uncover its true strengths.

Other DC superhero characters, including Green Lantarn, may simply be too thin to carry their own movie. Like Hulk, they perhaps work best in a team-up film, alongside the likes of Batman and Superman. And the often forgotten DC characters, like Swamp Thing, Tank Girl, Jonah Hex, ... may work better on page than on celluloid anyway. Constantine... I'm torn about Constantine; I can see a nugget of a good film in that Keanu project from a few years back. So yes, maybe a new attempt at a Constantine film could work.

Not all Marvel or DC characters work well in film I reckon. Though Howard The Duck is a guilty pleasure of mine and Sci-Fi Channel's Man-Thing is comic gold, they are clean examples of how easy it is for comic book material to fail big time.

That said, even though Marvel is preparing itself to shower us with even more superheroes than ever before, possibly culminating in a devastating sensation of overkill among fans worldwide, I am still very much excited about their films. I must admit that Captain America 2 is a film I'm looking forward to, and so is Days Of Future Past and so is Guardians. I wasn't overly enthusiastic about Thor 2's coda - Benicio needs to rethink his choice of hairdresser ;-) - but the trailer got me excited.

I know that Marvel and Disney are only looking for ways to pry away more of our precious money, I know that I'm being suckered into paying good money by cheap tricks, but I love them superheroes out there and unlike heroin, it's a harmless addiction. :-)
  • Gerard wrote:
    My opinion about it all : Why ? I mean, are all the more famous Marvel characters already taken that they have to go for the less famous ones already ? Now, don't get me wrong, the movie might be great (and the trailer looks promising, but aren't they all ?), but still, it seems to come out of left field (especially since, for me, Guardians of the Galaxy refers to the team from the future that appeared in the seventies, and here, I just showed my age).

Because Marvel doesn't control some of its most famous characters. Sony leases Spider-Man. Fox leases Fantastic Four and X-Men. As long as those studios keep making movies, the characters don't revert to Marvel.

Daredevil had been leased by Fox, but Fox opted not to do another movie and it reverted to Marvel. But instead of a movie, Marvel is using Daredevil as part of a Netflix television series.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm of two minds concerning X-Men. On the one hand, I like what Fox does with this property and so I don't think it has to return to Marvel any time soon. On the other hand, I'd love to see a giant X-Men vs Avengers project some day and I don't think that can happen unless Marvel gets X-Men back... Until then, I'll happily re-read the X-Men vs Avengers comics. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm of two minds concerning X-Men. On the one hand, I like what Fox does with this property and so I don't think it has to return to Marvel any time soon. On the other hand, I'd love to see a giant X-Men vs Avengers project some day and I don't think that can happen unless Marvel gets X-Men back... Until then, I'll happily re-read the X-Men vs Avengers comics. ;-)

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. As much as I'd like to see Hugh Jackman's Wolverine take on Mark Ruffalo's Hulk, or to see Robert Downey Jr. and Kelsey Grammer together in a lab as Tony Stark and Beast, FOX has done a good job with the X-Men franchise so far (I know some people aren't too keen on Origins: Wolverine, but I like it; The Wolverine didn't do much different, and people love that movie), and they don't need to lose the rights back to Marvel.

Granted, FOX is creating their own shared universe when Fantastic Four gets released. Sony, too, with future spin-off films for Spider-Man's rogues gallery (something I think they just should not do).
    Fox, however, are completely going out if their way to annoy fans by butchering the fantastic 4. The first 2 movies were dreadful and this upcoming one reeks of something equally awful.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That went off track quickly!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That went off track quickly!

Only partially. This tangent started with somebody complaining that Marvel was stuck with the Guardians because they had used up all their good characters.
    I´m not much into comic books, and I prefer adventures without costumes, so when I first heard of Marvel launching another group of superheroes, I was basically not interested. But since FX always make me curious, I naturally watched the trailer. And that reminded me of the fun I had with some films in the 80s and early 90s. Has to do perhaps with the trailer starting like an Indy film ;-).

The more I watch the trailer, clips and poster, the more I get the feeling this is either the best marketing campaign in decades, or the best adventure film Marvel has produced up until now, and one of the best adventure films in the last 20 years. That Rocket Raccoon looks like it has the potential to be the coolest creature since Yoda.
    Live interview with Chris Pratt, James Gunn and Kevin Feige. Very entertaining.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2014 Posts: 28,694
    doubleoego wrote:
    Fox, however, are completely going out if their way to annoy fans by butchering the fantastic 4. The first 2 movies were dreadful and this upcoming one reeks of something equally awful.
    I wouldn't be shocked if Fox are only making this film to keep the rights just like with what happened with The Amazing Spiderman.

Speaking of old Webhead, we'll only get to see him in an Avengers film in our dreams, unfortunately, something I have a hard time dealing with...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,894
    doubleoego wrote:
    I wouldn't be shocked if Fox are only making this film to keep the rights just like with what happened with The Amazing Spiderman.

Poor Fantastic Four, it wouldn't be the first time a film had to be made...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109770/

I don't know anything about the Fantastic Four comics, but I didn't mind the 2005 and 2007 films. Okay, they were a bit lightweight, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.