Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Tim Story FF movies were also shat upon. I liked them, except for Dr Doom. That is one thing that seems questionable this time around, too. Why is it so hard to get Dr Doom right? One of the greatest villains in comic book history, and the inspiration for Darth Vader, no less.

Maybe that is it? If they stay true to the Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby original vision, people will say they ripped off Star wars?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I was unaware that Dr. Doom was the inspiration for Darth Vader. I see absolutely no resemblance between the two, to be honest.
    I was unaware that Dr. Doom was the inspiration for Darth Vader. I see absolutely no resemblance between the two, to be honest.

They are both good guys turned bad. They interrogate people by holding them up by their throats. Both wear body armour and an iron mask due to disfigurement. In The Empire Strikes Back we see DV take off his mask and helmet from behind. VVD does the same all the time in the original comics.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

You honestly can't see the similarities?

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Vader's disfigurement was added later, but he wears a mask because Ralph Maquarrie thought it wouldn't make sense for a man to cross between two space ships without a breathing apparatus. Wasn't Doom's disfigurement mention from the get-go?
    Still, clearly an inspiration.
    On the other hand, the reviews for the rebooted Fox/Marvel flick "Fantastic Four" are destructive and utterly bad:

17% on RT, 29% on Metacritic & 4.9 on IMDB.

This could be the end for the "Fantastic Four"-franchise....and a possible larger Fox-Cinematic Universe together with X-Men and Deadpool.
    No wonder if they throw away talent like Jamie Bell and hide him beneath a skin of rock.
    But end of the franchise? I think @doubleoego is right about the rights. It was done to the FF before, remember?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Even looking past the universally horrible reviews for this movie, I don't see them doing another FF for a very long time, due to a lack of interest. After three movies that were all pretty much hated, who would want a fourth unless there's true talent behind it?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Pics of black panther stuntman on set of captain America civil war

30dhsoo.jpg
    df7uci.jpg
    t5fyi8.jpg
    98a8p0.jpg
    Black Panther, eh? That film will be awesome.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Civil war is going to be a BIG movie.
    Not gonna watch it. Will wait for the official trailer release.
    Funny, I just watched The Winter Soldier again. Cineastic intuition I guess B-) .
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The content has been blocked in that post already. Couldn't watch it.
    @bondjames, it looked good, but it didn't say really much about how the film's going to be.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The content has been blocked in that post already. Couldn't watch it.

Their was no audio either and quality of picture was poor too, stopped it after about 4 or 5 seconds.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    After finishing my Bondathon I started a Marvel Universe Marathon.
    I'm doing that in the proper timeline order, which means my first movie was:

Captain America

followed by:

Agent Carter Season 1

followed by:

Iron Man

Although I'm a DC fanboy I do enjoy comic adaptions from Marvel universe too.
    Marvel has done a marvelous job since 2008 :))

My ranking so far:

1. Captain America
    (I love this movie, I love the cast, the villain, the retro-feel, bloody marv...fabulous :P )
    2. Agent Carter Season 1
    (I decided to include the TV Shows, I highly enjoyed Agent Carter and I'm entirely happy it got renewed)
    3. Iron Man
    (I liked this movie back in 2008 but it never was one of my absolute favourites, I do like Agent Coulson appearing in it though. The problem with this movie for me is the awful Jeff Bridges which I can't stand, I don't know how he still gets work ;) R.I.P.D and Seventh Son were bloody awful)
    4. Incredible Hulk
    Clearly the weak spot in the Avengers series, look below for reasons.

My ranking being the same order as the proper timeline viewing so far is pure coincidence.
    Next will be Incredible Hulk which will probably end up No 4 but I give it a chance, who knows, I haven't seen it in years.

EDIT
    Finished watching The Incredible Hulk and it was hard to sit through. Somehow everything seems just wrong with that movie. The CGI Hulk and all the other CGI stuff is cringe-worthy. They should have made an animated movie that would have worked better.
    Norton, as good as he is in everything, seems not to be right for Hulk.
    Ang Lee's Hulk was much better imo.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Last night I was watching Iron Man 2, the next in line if everything is watched in the proper time line.

My ranking so far:

1. Captain America
    (I love this movie, I love the cast, the villain, the retro-feel, bloody marv...fabulous )
    2. Agent Carter Season 1
    (I decided to include the TV Shows, I highly enjoyed Agent Carter and I'm entirely happy it got renewed)
    3. Iron Man
    (I liked this movie back in 2008 but it never was one of my absolute favourites, I do like Agent Coulson appearing in it though. The problem with this movie for me is the awful Jeff Bridges which I can't stand, I don't know how he still gets work R.I.P.D and Seventh Son were bloody awful)
    4. Iron Man 2
    (Definitely not better than the first one, and if I had thought it can't get worse than Jeff Bridges as the baddie I was wrong, how on earth did Mickey Rourke happen for IM2??, the side story with Agents Coulson, Fury and Romanoff is good and big enough to save this movie)

5. Incredible Hulk
    Clearly the weak spot in the Avengers series, look below for reasons.

Next will be THOR.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 5,812
    First teasers for Netflix's Jessica Jones :

Love the second one. Come on, who among us has not wished some days do do the same thing ?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

tumblr_nw44moiCND1ucxh4io1_500.gif

tumblr_nw44moiCND1ucxh4io2_500.gif
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    "BANG."
    "BANG."

It does sound more like "Bang", but IGN had it as "Beg". I could honestly go either way with it. I'm just happy to see Jon Bernthal as the Punisher.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    "BANG."

It does sound more like "Bang", but IGN had it as "Beg". I could honestly go either way with it. I'm just happy to see Jon Bernthal as the Punisher.

How'd they get "beg" out of that? The accent makes it a bit tough at first, but it's almost unmistakably "bang."
  • Does DD have a new costume? If you pause it at 0.11 it definitely looks sleeker than it did in S1. Looks way more like DareDevil to me- though it could just be the red light tricking my eyes.
    One thing about the other costume that bugged me was that it looked like more black than red, and even the 'red' was more like a dark purple. Oh well, at least they didn't give us the yellow costume :))

I certainly hope Castle gets a suit of some sort!!
    Especially with Jon's short haircut, I could easily picture them going the 'Year One' route: realistic military fatigues with bare arms and a white skull loosely spraypainted on a flak jacket
    (actually come to think of it, the end of the Thomas Jane movie did exactly that)
    @Master_Dahark, from the little I've seen of the suit from season 2, there's actually more black than ever in the design, from pieces of Matt's kevlar, mostly in the torso and also the mask.

http://www.screenhall.com/index.php/2015/08/20/marvel-teases-daredevil-costume-for-season-2/

daredevil-season-2-suit.jpg

I can't say I'm through the roof with it, to be honest. I wasn't that blown away by the suit at the end of season 1, but even that looks better than this redesign. There's too much black in weird spots that clashes badly with the red. Obviously they wanted to make it feel more natural for Daredevil going out and fighting crime at night (more black will blend him in?), but it looks atrocious. If I was designing the suit I'd keep it 90% black, 10% red, so that both colors aren't too dominant. Some of my favorite DD costumes are prominently black, and I think it looks better to have a suit with mostly black and a tiny bit of red than the other way around, especially when your show's hero is roaming the rooftops at night and needs to stay hidden. I hope that sometime soon-as the suit seems to always be changing-the designers will hit a sweet spot with the right variation of color. I don't think we're there yet, however.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Looks like a great show. Might give it a watch soon.
    jake24 wrote: »

It's necessary viewing, @jake24. It's takes the superhero drama to another level with themes of the devil (obviously) sin, lawlessness and more that bring it to a state of high art. Your morals and sense of right and wrong will be tested, as will your conceptions of heroes and villains. The atmosphere, cinematography, acting, writing and fight choreography all accentuate each other in the best way possible. Even if one isn't interested in superheroes, watching this show for its complex treatment of Kingpin is reason enough. If you do get around to seeing it, share your thoughts in this thread:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/11974/netflix-s-daredevil-series-2015-present-spoiler-filled-discussion
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

It's necessary viewing, @jake24. It's takes the superhero drama to another level with themes of the devil (obviously) sin, lawlessness and more that bring it to a state of high art. Your morals and sense of right and wrong will be tested, as will your conceptions of heroes and villains. The atmosphere, cinematography, acting, writing and fight choreography all accentuate each other in the best way possible. Even if one isn't interested in superheroes, watching this show for its complex treatment of Kingpin is reason enough. If you do get around to seeing it, share your thoughts in this thread:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/11974/netflix-s-daredevil-series-2015-present-spoiler-filled-discussion

Ok, now I'm definitely watching it.

Ok, now I'm definitely watching it.

Mission: SUCCESS!

giphy.gif

And don't look at ANYTHING before you watch it, not even the trailers. This show should be experienced without knowing what's coming. Quite aptly, you'll be watching it blind. ;)