Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    @MakeshiftPython, nobody expected heavy drama from a She-Hulk show, but as has been related by literally everyone in this thread but you, it is just a woeful eyesore of a moment in a show that's been full of them. I've rarely felt such a level of cringe in recent memory.

It's the general direction the MCU has been going in, where there isn't drama or stakes anymore, and characters that used to have meat to them are just being treated like jokes. Don't even want to know how they're going to screw with Daredevil now, after he had such a compelling run in a good TV show. It's depressing how quickly things fell off in just a few years since Endgame. Who knew that film would also be the endgame for what was great about the MCU?

This post is spot on! If only DC could get it's act together they could easily overtake Marvel. I too fear for Daredevil (see what I did there? LOL). They destroyed Kingpin in Hawkeye and it looks like Daredevil is about to get his!

I watched one episode and didn't laugh once, or even chuckle for that matter. The plot was about her going to a wedding, and she couldn't be She-Hulk because it would upstage the bride? It was a mess of a show.

Marvel is in a sad overall state, lately the magic seems to wear thin, whether that's the caliber of people behind the cameras, or the talent in front, or a combination of both, I don't see much that truly excites me in the foreseeable future.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I can’t say I laughed out loud but I smiled throughout. I like how irreverent this show is, but that seems to be grating for others. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @thedove, the moment I heard they were going to give Daredevil that ugly yellow and red suit, I started to raise an eyebrow Sir Roger style. Then puked in my mouth a little. ;-). Oh well, we always have the old Netflix seasons to appreciate!

As for DC, they would be smart to lean into what makes them unique, instead of trying to just appeal to the same crowd as the MCU. WB and DC got the wrong impression from why the Snyder era didn't work. It wasn't because the movies were dark, it was because the characters weren't written competently and the scripts failed them and the actors. DC needs to keep leaning into the dark and more consequential storytelling it's always had in its pocket, as that will be what will make it shine, ironically. The one thing Disney will never do is take the MCU full R, and that is where DC can really win some ground, by telling stories that hit harder and are more adult in nature. That is a better route than trying to course correct and pander to the MCU crowd by making their more serious characters into joke telling mannequins. Justice League was a farce we shouldn't have to relive!

Snyder wasn't the man for the job at all, but we can see from the balance that The Batman struck that you can have a high quality film that is very heavy on the darkness, and isn't afraid to go in more adult directions. The scripting and acting is paramount, and that is where the victories will be. That film was thrilling not just because it was the first good Batman I think we've had in over a decade, and the only solo Batman film we've gotten since Nolan finished his trilogy, but also because of how refreshingly disturbing and stirring it was. It was nice to have a movie impact me in a deep way, so much so that I could feel and taste the poverty of that Gotham City, as opposed to a film that was only trying to appeal to my most meek standards as the MCU has been doing for so long.

Since Endgame, Doctor Strange 2 has been the only film I've come away from respecting, and that's sad. Black Panther 2 actually looks surprisingly un-bad, but I still can't really get over the idea that Chadwick is gone and that they seem to just want to kill T'Challa off too now. Black Panther is one of their greatest characters, and I just think it's a waste of such a monumental character to kill him off just because his actor died. We lose so many great stories by them doing that, and it's depressing. I don't think Chadwick would want that, at all, and would instead be honored at the idea of another black actor taking the stage to continue his work as that character.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can’t say I laughed out loud but I smiled throughout. I like how irreverent this show is, but that seems to be grating for others. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@MakeshiftPython, I don't know much about She-Hulk, but I've gotten the impression that her comics are, or used to be, very self-referential and wall breaking, so at the very least I will say that the show seems to be faithful to that aspect of the character. And the studios knew that the only way she'd work effectively was in a show, which I believe is very true.

I guess I just don't connect to who she is or the style of how her story is told. I don't like self-referential humor, or fourth wall breaking, or over-reliance on humor. Part of why the MCU has fallen off for me is because so many characters are just expected to be amateur comedians now, and that just doesn't work for everyone. Humor is a tough thing to balance, because too much can make the stakes or tension of what you're trying to build deflate. I don't think it's any wonder why the recent films and shows don't make me feel much of anything. I just can't connect to what's going on amidst the sea of weak jokes and comic moments.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Second trailer for Wakanda Forever :

Interesting indeed?!!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Werewolf by Night utter garbage Marvel are living off there intro logo and creating sub standard content.

She Hulk is crap the writing is abysmal, this is supposed to be a comedy. The only joke is the show itself.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I really wanted to see them do Daredevil properly, I should have known that they would not show the character in a good light. I understand that this is another version of the character, but with it being the same actor I was waiting to see some of the dark and dramatic portrayal of the character. The fact they made him do the "Walk of shame" after a night of passion with She-Hulk made little to no sense.
    “Dark and dramatic” in the style of Netflix wouldn’t fit the tone of She-Hulk’s show.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    thedove wrote: »
    I really wanted to see them do Daredevil properly, I should have known that they would not show the character in a good light. I understand that this is another version of the character, but with it being the same actor I was waiting to see some of the dark and dramatic portrayal of the character. The fact they made him do the "Walk of shame" after a night of passion with She-Hulk made little to no sense.

Totally out of character, after what Disney Marvel did to Kingpin I was expecting it.
    I wasn’t ever expecting Kingpin to be smashing people’s skulls to pulp in HAWKEYE.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    thedove wrote: »
    The fact they made him do the "Walk of shame" after a night of passion with She-Hulk made little to no sense.

To be fair, that was the only gag in the show thus far that actually made me laugh.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 299
    Werewolf by Night utter garbage Marvel are living off there intro logo and creating sub standard content.

What? Werewolf by Night is actually very good. Acting is good, writing is good and atmosphere of old horror movies is very good too.

I watched it and I liked it very much (also this show have very good reviews and ratings by critics and fans).

This is just a really good example of "something new" in the MCU.
    I thought Werewolf by Night was a bit cheap and the acting was amatuer. A pale imitation of the Universal Classics. Post Infinity War Marvel's quality has dropped considerably.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,518
    I've heard good things about Werewolf by Night as well. But it's hard for me to be bothered with anything post-Endgame.

What they did leading up to, and culminating with, Infinity War and Endgame was seriously impressive, and in my mind it more or less ended there. The Spiderman stuff afterwards was fun though.

I guess the previous saga was the "Infinity Saga" and this is the "Multiverse Saga", feels like too much effort at this point to keep up especially now that there are TV shows involved. Also, I was disappointed to hear that Multiverse of Madness wasn't very good; seems like there were some good ideas there.
    She Hulk Season Finale! Marvel is creatively bankrupt.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Morbid curiousity mixed with sheer and complete boredom led me to check out Morbius last night, just to see if the memes lined up. They do, and it's absolutely one of the worst films I'll see this year and a complete train wreck through and through. Couldn't think of a single positive takeaway of the film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Morbid curiousity mixed with sheer and complete boredom led me to check out Morbius last night, just to see if the memes lined up. They do, and it's absolutely one of the worst films I'll see this year and a complete train wreck through and through. Couldn't think of a single positive takeaway of the film.

Matt Smith dancing! It's like Pierce's singing in Mamma Mia. So bad it's good. But still bad.

I have not seen Morbius though I think the Superhero Genre has burnt itself out on recent evidence. The Batman is one of the only notable films that can be taken seriously on any artistic level.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Matt Smith dancing! It's like Pierce's singing in Mamma Mia. So bad it's good. But still bad.

Still very, very bad. That whole scene was so tonally awful (not that the rest of the film had any cohesion in that department though).
    We can all disagree on the tone and approach of SHE-HULK, but MORBIUS is a true example of total incompetence we can all agree on.

And man, did Sony really bait fans with those Spider-Man Easter eggs in the trailers that turned out to not even feature in the very film!
    @MakeshiftPython, what really depresses me about the Spider-Man stuff is that there seemed to have been a bigger plan for Michael Keaton's Vulture in the original brainstorming for the new movies than what we've gotten. I'd love to know what happened, because from jump in Homecoming it seemed like Toomes was going to be a big deal in these films on the Sony and Marvel end, but he has absolutely no impact on anything that has happened to Peter since and he has been completely erased from relevance. I had always assumed that the movies would build to a Sinister Six movie, where Toomes appears and in a moment of surprise, helps Peter instead of using the opportunity to pile on as a thank you for saving his life.
    That’s all Sony. A big reason why the MCU has such a large presence in the first two Holland films is because Sony wanted to exploit as much of the MCU as they can in order to draw in large audiences, especially since Sony couldn’t do that with Venom or Morbius, which is why they couldn’t be set in the MCU.

NO WAY HOME is basically supposed to serve as a soft reboot, where Tom Holland’s Peter becomes less involved with the MCU as a result of his identity being erased. Theoretically, that would allow Holland to have his future solo films be more centered in his world and less on the MCU. That’s where Toomes, Morbius, and the Sinister Six come into play.

But MOBIUS bombed, so I can imagine Sony is trying to figure out what to do with their Spider-Man properties. I can’t say I’m feeling confident about CRAVEN.

Venom has been the only enjoyable Sony Universe films and that’s all attributed to Tom Hardy’s bizarre performances. It’s kind of mind boggling that Sony hasn’t ever attempted to have Hardy and Holland do a movie together, because I can imagine that going so many ways.
    Marvel Recruits Harrison Ford To Replace The Late William Hurt In Thunderbolts
    https://www.slashfilm.com/999694/marvel-recruits-harrison-ford-to-replace-the-late-william-hurt-in-thunderbolts/
    Now its official.
    Hell of a recast!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So they can recast General Ross because the actor died but not T'Challa? Wow.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    doubleoego wrote: »
    So they can recast General Ross because the actor died but not T'Challa? Wow.

They recast The Hulk as well, and he didn t even die.
    Would have been more dope if they brought back Sam Elliot. At least his stache was legit compared to William Hurt’s dime store prop.
    Would have been more dope if they brought back Sam Elliot. At least his stache was legit compared to William Hurt’s dime store prop.

Elliot was great in the Hulk, I am probably in the minority though I am a big fan of Ang Lee's film. Admittedly I would cut out the Hulk Dogs.