Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A question I have: why are they wearing uniforms? Is that from the comics or something? It makes them look a bit duller.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I hope Elizabeth Debicki returns as Ayesha.

I think she will.
    BTW I like her too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,369
    LOKI Season 2, Star Wars: Ahsoka, Marvel's Secret Invasion Teaser (Disney + 2023)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,369

Feel like I just watched the whole movie.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    antman_and_the_wasp_quantumania_ver4.jpg

antman_and_the_wasp_quantumania_ver3.jpg
    Does someone else feel like the superhero trend is slowly fading? I mean, they just feel like paint by numbers numb or strange and unbearable experiences into the more deranged exploration of themes. Just a feeling, but I think their hold over the cinematic world is wavering and will soon give way to something else. Much like westerns did, which share similar structures and appeal, IMO.

I know there’s a humongous base of fans of the genre, and thise alone will keep it going, but their presence in the industry has become totalitarist and has diminished cinema quality in general, IMO, because they make a ton of capital.

Wrong thread for this, probably. But I just feel it deeply in regards to Marvel movies, which I used to enjoy, and now I just feel numb and indifferent whenever a new one comes out.

But maybe that’s just me :(
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Univex wrote: »
    Does someone else feel like the superhero trend is slowly fading? I mean, they just feel like paint by numbers numb or strange and unbearable experiences into the more deranged exploration of themes. Just a feeling, but I think their hold over the cinematic world is wavering and will soon give way to something else. Much like westerns did, which share similar structures and appeal, IMO.

I know there’s a humongous base of fans of the genre, and thise alone will keep it going, but their presence in the industry has become totalitarist and has diminished cinema quality in general, IMO, because they make a ton of capital.

Wrong thread for this, probably. But I just feel it deeply in regards to Marvel movies, which I used to enjoy, and now I just feel numb and indifferent whenever a new one comes out.

But maybe that’s just me :(

I became burned out long ago; while I did enjoy The Avengers, I tend to prefer origin stories.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited January 2023 Posts: 8,025
    I think they’ve become overhyped. Just don’t buy into the hype. Treat them like the disposable entertaining films, where you watch them once and never have to see them again. Like those matinee serials in the 40s. That’s how I treat them lately. And like those serials, I only try to see them during matinee time at noon rather than treat them like they’re evening events.

There are Marvel fans out there that seem desperate to want to see their films treated as high art, for some kind of cultural validation of enjoying them rather than resigning to the fact that they’re disposable entertainment. BLACK PANTHER is good. But I’ll never entertain the fact that it’s “Best Picture” worthy, not even nomination worthy.

That said, I never saw BLACK ADAM. Even I have my limits.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There are Marvel fans out there that seem desperate to want to see their films treated as high art, for some kind of cultural validation of enjoying them rather than resigning to the fact that they’re disposable entertainment. BLACK PANTHER is good. But I’ll never entertain the fact that it’s “Best Picture” worthy, not even nomination worthy.

I couldn't make it but a couple of friends of mine went to a cast & crew premiere thing of Black Panther 2; apparently the Q&A after was full of people saying how beautiful it was and everyone was crying. It's about a superhero and fish people for heaven's sake. My mates weren't impressed! :D

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It pretty much ended for me at Avengers Endgame. While I have watched a few of the spinoff shows, it's really like I didn't care what happens to the characters after Endgame.
    I am a bit tired of the 5 year snap being front and center with the story telling.

All the visual effects look the same its difficult to determine one film from another in recent years.
    I am a bit tired of the 5 year snap being front and center with the story telling.

Has it been? I know it was a focal point for THE ETERNALS, but didn’t the other movies essentially hand wave away?
    You know, I remember a time (more than one, in fact) where critics were saying that there were too many spy movies, and announced the death of James Bond as a viable franchise. And yet, here we are. Plus, nobody is forced to go and see each andevery super-hero movie. I know I don't.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Not saying it will die. Just saying it's loosing general appeal and force. Good to see I'm not alone in feeling that.

We need more diversity in mainstream cinema. Fads are fads, of course. But the superhero scene has been booming for almost 20 years now. Westerns, Spymania, Space sci-fi, Superheroes,..., those don't just die. But they do lose force and primacy, as we all know very well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Has it been? I know it was a focal point for THE ETERNALS, but didn’t the other movies essentially hand wave away?

I think it was quite important for the Spider Man films too, and Ant Man's daughter is grown up now.
    mtm wrote: »

I think it was quite important for the Spider Man films too, and Ant Man's daughter is grown up now.

It was treated as a joke in FAR FROM HOME, but it didn’t exactly explore the implications beyond “that 12 year old kid is now a hunky 17 year old jock and going after my crush!”

Ant-Man’s daughter is grown up, but are they gonna make a point about her five year growing up or will that just be something brushed aside?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Okay, I don’t remember them that well.
    ixE9wxU.png
    MODOK looks interesting.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    What is MODOK supposed to be?
    MODOK_Marvel_Comics.png
    MODOK (also written as M.O.D.O.K.; an acronym for Mental/Mobile/Mechanized Organism Designed Only for Killing)

Thor and Wasp vs. MODOK

MODOK is an amusing character.
    Hi I'm new to Spiderman but is avengers avengers ultron and avengers endgame the same continuity of the 8 Spiderman films or how does that all work?
    Hi I'm new to Spiderman but is avengers avengers ultron and avengers endgame the same continuity of the 8 Spiderman films or how does that all work?

The 3 Tom Holland Spiderman films are in the avengers universe, the other Spiderman movies are from alternate Universes.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 118

The 3 Tom Holland Spiderman films are in the avengers universe, the other Spiderman movies are from alternate Universes.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns ok so I would need to get the three avengers films? What other films is he in? And the other Spidermans are its own universe? is there a Spiderman thread or does this thread cover it?
    Tom Holland is in...

Captain America Civil War
    Spiderman Homecoming
    Avengers Infinity War
    Avengers End Game
    Spiderman Far From Home
    Spiderman No Way home

The last film above explains the alternate universes. There is a Spiderman thread, will have a quick look I think its on my Bookmarks list.
    Tom Holland is in...

Captain America Civil War
    Spiderman Homecoming
    Avengers Infinity War
    Avengers End Game
    Spiderman Far From Home
    Spiderman No Way home

The last film above explains the alternate universes. There is a Spiderman thread, will have a quick look I think its on my Bookmarks list.

Ok so that's all the films he's in in that universe @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania Featurette - Kang The Conqueror (2023)

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Getting ready….

W0HNs5b.jpg
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,369
    talos7 wrote: »
    Getting ready….

W0HNs5b.jpg

Looking good, I have just started back in the gym this week after a 2 month injury lay off. Hugh is a good 6 years older than me its inspiring.