The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Now I just have to get this stupid homework done and surrender to cinematic brilliance!!! :-bd :-bd :-bd

Same. I watched MIGP yesterday, watched Heat, M:I, and now MI:III today.

Have you watched MI:II? If so, thoughts? It's my favorite in the series, with MI:GP shortly behind.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Creasy47 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Now I just have to get this stupid homework done and surrender to cinematic brilliance!!! :-bd :-bd :-bd

Same. I watched MIGP yesterday, watched Heat, M:I, and now MI:III today.

Have you watched MI:II? If so, thoughts? It's my favorite in the series, with MI:GP shortly behind.

I'll likely watch it last. I have seen it, and it holds a new respect with me since I recently viewed it. Its still last on my list of the four, but I enjoy it almost as much as the others.

What's interesting is that the Second film in the series has the most screen-time of a villain in the series (I think).

The first is has the second most with Voight
    The third has the third most with Hoffman
    and the fourth has the least with the... that guy. Haha

That's an odd habit with the MI films.. little air time for the villains.
    @JWESTBROOK, exactly! I think that's why I loved MI:II so much - Ethan and Sean had a past, and are now enemies - somewhat in the likes of GE - and it was really enjoyable seeing both of their sides. Lot of great action, too, and one of my favorite deaths in a film I've ever seen: the motorcycle stoppie kill at the end, when he unloads on that car that flips off the cliff. Beautiful.

And then, I think that is why I wasn't as crazy about MI:GP as I had hoped to be: who was the villain? I don't recall his name, or what he even looks like. Very unmemorable, and the finale wasn't that exciting for me as MI:II's was.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Watching MIGP NOW! <:-P
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 5,745

\m/ YEAYAH. I'd be interested in a JJ Abrams Bond script. Interested. Appelbaum has only done one film.. and I have a problem with the use of the villain in MIGP.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, lucky you. I've really been debating just driving to WalMart and buying myself a copy, in hopes that I did enjoy it a lot more than I think I did.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, lucky you. I've really been debating just driving to WalMart and buying myself a copy, in hopes that I did enjoy it a lot more than I think I did.

Yeah I saw it sitting in Best Buy, just calling my name, but I had to pass because I had to buy a new MP3 player since mine broke, so I'm trying to keep my cash in a good amount, not spending too much at once!
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yeah I saw it sitting in Best Buy, just calling my name, but I had to pass because I had to buy a new MP3 player since mine broke, so I'm trying to keep my cash in a good amount, not spending too much at once!

The best buy one, actually, is the special addition. It has extra special features on it (that's the one I got). The special features are brilliant.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

The best buy one, actually, is the special addition. It has extra special features on it (that's the one I got). The special features are brilliant.

Yeah, I was really wanting to buy it then and there so I could watch the deleted scenes!!
    @00Beast, you and I were in the same boat. Had my old iPod Nano for about five years, and it just up and died on me, so I picked a new one up at a pawn shop for $70. I still find myself wandering through Best Buy, Walmart, even Amazon.com, just looking for blu-rays that I've really wanted for some time. I think I might try and pick up Haywire next Tuesday - saw the first five minutes of it, and it was really addictive. Might go with an 'on a whim' purchase.
    00Beast wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yeah, I was really wanting to buy it then and there so I could watch the deleted scenes!!

The deleted scenes actually set up the villain FAR better than the film did. Bird admits it was his choice to cut them, and imo his mistake. But the film is still brilliant.

Watch the deleted scenes soon. I want to see how you found them, considering their impact.
    @JWESTBROOK, I was unaware. That makes me more inclined to pick it up, as I really can't recall anything (or any feelings) towards the villain.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @JWESTBROOK, I was unaware. That makes me more inclined to pick it up, as I really can't recall anything (or any feelings) towards the villain.

Exactly, that's how bland he was! I LOVED MI:GP, but the main villain was L-A-M-E!!! He had barely anything to do with Hunt from what I can remember, unlike previous villains like Jim in the first one and Owen Davian in the third one.
    @00Beast, that's the problem I had with the film. And, if I recall correctly, aren't there two villains in the movie? And both of the finales with them were very mediocre to me. I don't know, maybe I just need to go into it with a laid back attitude and give it another viewing. Perhaps I would like it more, then.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @00Beast, that's the problem I had with the film. And, if I recall correctly, aren't there two villains in the movie? And both of the finales with them were very mediocre to me. I don't know, maybe I just need to go into it with a laid back attitude and give it another viewing. Perhaps I would like it more, then.

Watch it for the spy/team element. The story is focused on that, and so should the audience. Don't worry about the villain, and you'll enjoy it.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Well, the second was the main villain's henchman, Wistrom, which is surprising that I remember his name and not the main villain's name! And yes, both had pretty mediocre deaths, the main villain committed suicide by dropping himself off of the side of the car plant and Wistrom was shot in the back by Benji Dunn in a surprising ending. I liked Wistrom's death better since the heroes actually killed him!
    I think it has just always irked me when the main character doesn't get what he wants by killing the villain(s) of the film. Either way, I'm sure if I ignore this, it will be great. I do recall the whole foot/car chase with the sand storm was really, really interesting.
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Well, the second was the main villain's henchman, Wistrom, which is surprising that I remember his name and not the main villain's name! And yes, both had pretty mediocre deaths, the main villain committed suicide by dropping himself off of the side of the car plant and Wistrom was shot in the back by Benji Dunn in a surprising ending. I liked Wistrom's death better since the heroes actually killed him!

SPOILER TAGS SPOILER TAGS SPOILER TAGS!!!
    Either way, I'm sure if I ignore what you stated in the spoiler - which was what really irked me when I saw the movie in theaters in December - it will be great. I do recall the whole foot/car chase with the sand storm was really, really interesting.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MI:GP is over, and I will watch the deleted scenes tomorrow @JWESTBROOK. Still a solid film, and I still got wet in the eyes, but the villain has always irked me. We hardly see him the whole film, then
    at the end it's suddenly "oh, hello Hendricks, ready to be a villain now?" The ending is too fast paced and I can't tell what the hell is going on. Why did the men on the ship follow Hendrick's orders? How do they know him at all, and how does he just pick up the phone and speak? I have no clue at that point, which angers me. I want to know why he did what he did at the end, but it is all hidden with technical babble. Anyone else feel like that? Though the entire threat was the warheads being used, Hendricks was the weakest point of the film, and possibly the series.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I agree with you. That's what bugged me, the villain just wasn't very solid in the movie, and kind of ruins it for me. It's crazy how, for me, no matter how enjoyable a film is, the ending can ruin it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bought M:I Ghost Protocol on Monday, was fantastic. best M:I since the first one. :D
    MI:GP is over, and I will watch the deleted scenes tomorrow @JWESTBROOK.

Please do. You'll see the villain in a new light. Its a shame they cut all his parts.
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Please do. You'll see the villain in a new light. Its a shame they cut all his parts.

I got my copy from Walmart, so will I get less scenes than the Best Buy version?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I got my copy from Walmart, so will I get less scenes than the Best Buy version?

You should still have the deleted scenes I would think, your just going to miss out on Giacchino brother's excellent extended documentary.

WATCH THE DELTED SCENES
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    What is contained in the deleted scenes? Would someone mind telling me, please?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    What is contained in the deleted scenes? Would someone mind telling me, please?

There is an alternate opening that shows the villain is actually a man hired by both the Americans and Russians to play out 'war games'. He sits in front of the leaders of the state (in the film, its the Russians) and goes through what would happen in a situation of nuclear war. The Americans don't know he does it for the Russians, and the Russians don't know he does it for the Americans. This alternate opening also lets us see the decoder guy, that otherwise in the film just kind of shows up.

Pertaining to the villain, you also see a scene where the decoder guy (the same as above, the one with the ugly wife and child) tries to attack 'Cobalt' and it shows Cobalt's strength and military training.

Those are the two most important to me, because they actually set up the villain.
    I kinda liked the villain in MI4, in that he was not some overpowering baddie but did his work more in the shadow than in the open. In the end when the showdown is ther between hero & villain everything is in the open.
    Somewhat different from the over-the-top-villains from the 007 franchise.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    51PWZK86PHL._SS500_.jpg