'Tis the season to be watching... (Movies you tend to watch/revisit at Christmas.)

1235»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,366
    talos7 wrote: »
    Many of the Christmas classics listed above by others.

I'll add Lethal Weapon

When JJngle Bell Rock plays its one of my favorite openings to any movie.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    My choices for the 2023 holidays are the same as last year, so scroll up a bit on this page and read my post from December 2022.
    I'm pretty much the same choices, too! There are obligatory films like OHMSS, The Italian Job, A Christmas Story, A Christmas Carol, The Fearless Vampire Killers!!
    But I have some new purchases that I hope to watch like Diehard ( bought last year but never got to watch) a couple of Kubricks in 4k ( A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey) and Apocalypse Now in 4k!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much the same choices, too! There are obligatory films like OHMSS, The Italian Job, A Christmas Story, A Christmas Carol, The Fearless Vampire Killers!!
    But I have some new purchases that I hope to watch like Diehard ( bought last year but never got to watch) a couple of Kubricks in 4k ( A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey) and Apocalypse Now in 4k!

Apocalypse Now in 4k which cut of the film? you are in for a treat especially if you have Dolby Atmos the sound is mind blowing.

Apocalypse Now in 4k which cut of the film? you are in for a treat especially if you have Dolby Atmos the sound is mind blowing.

Its The Final Cut. Yeh, looking forward to seeing it! Been a while!

Oops, how did I forget 'Where Eagles Dare' always a regular watch at Christmas!
    The Three Days of the Condor is one of the fairly "new" "Christmas" movies on my list.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    The Three Days of the Condor is one of the fairly "new" "Christmas" movies on my list.

Great movie, one of Robert Redfords best!
    I am a big fan of 70's conspiracy thrillers, Redford is great in All the Presidents Men also.
    Watched Three Days of the Condor last weekend. Never thought about it as a "Christmassy" film, but it actually did this time around. Might make it a Christmas tradition.
    Watched Three Days of the Condor last weekend. Never thought about it as a "Christmassy" film, but it actually did this time around. Might make it a Christmas tradition.

My thinking is all time classic films become Christmas films by default lol Some films just transcend the rest and will still resonate 50 or 100 years from now.

My thinking is all time classic films become Christmas films by default lol Some films just transcend the rest and will still resonate 50 or 100 years from now.

Three Days of the Condor definitely falls into the all time classic films category, that's for sure! I guess because Christmas remains in the background throughout, I've never really thought about the film this way – but maybe as I was watching it on Blu-ray for the first time, I was already looking for new, small details to notice. Can't wait to watch it again, maybe already this Christmas.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    OHMSS, Batman Returns (the greatest ever suoerhero movie) and Bad Santa are on stand by, as per every Xmas.

Three Days of the Condor definitely falls into the all time classic films category, that's for sure! I guess because Christmas remains in the background throughout, I've never really thought about the film this way – but maybe as I was watching it on Blu-ray for the first time, I was already looking for new, small details to notice. Can't wait to watch it again, maybe already this Christmas.

There are many films that I have watched later on in HD and 4K and notice things I never saw before. I think Three Days of the Condor is still on Sky movies, may give it a rewatch. I think the 1970's is arguably the greatest decade in cinema.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    OHMSS, Batman Returns (the greatest ever suoerhero movie) and Bad Santa are on stand by, as per every Xmas.

I will be watching Batman Returns again this Christmas, it looks stunning in 4K.

There are many films that I have watched later on in HD and 4K and notice things I never saw before. I think Three Days of the Condor is still on Sky movies, may give it a rewatch. I think the 1970's is arguably the greatest decade in cinema.

Indeed, the 70's was a great decade for films. Many of my favourites are 1970's productions – Three Days of the Condor included.
    DIE HARD is essential Christmas Eve viewing.

Same with Die Hard 2
  • peterpeter Toronto
    OHMSS, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Batman Returns, A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sims), A Christmas Story, The Long Kiss Goodnight, and this year, for no other reason other than chatting with @Colonel Sun, and with the enthusiastic backing of my youngest and my wife, the five Craig films done in order, one a night...

It's also telling that the epilogue scene has God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen playing ironically in the background. When they are talking about the Middle East, no less.
    Murder on the Orient Express. The 1974 Sidney Lumet version. Great all star cast and the wonderful Albert Finney as Poirot.
    Here's one I don't think has been mentioned: Notes on a Scandal. Not a Christmas movie but a good portion of it is set at Christmas.

It's also telling that the epilogue scene has God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen playing ironically in the background. When they are talking about the Middle East, no less.

Good point!

Good point!

And while a song about salvation is played in the background, we're reminded that people can sell their soul out of necessity or fear. Condor comes off as a rather helpless and powerless messianic figure.