'Tis the season to be watching... (Movies you tend to watch/revisit at Christmas.)

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    This is our personal must-see every year in the days coming up to Christmas:

The whole family can voice-over whole passages. Chevy Chase is incredible in the role of the head of the family who bravely does not lose his determination to have a proper and happy christmas feast with the extended family against everything the world throws at him.
    I think I already mentioned here The Godfather 1 and 2, The French Connection and Eyes Wide Shut as "Christmas movies". Another suggestion: The Three Days of the Condor.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    OHMSS
    Batman Returns
    Die Hard
    A Christmas Story & the sequel
    A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sim)
    Lethal Weapon 1
    Rocky IV
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    This is our personal must-see every year in the days coming up to Christmas:

The whole family can voice-over whole passages. Chevy Chase is incredible in the role of the head of the family who bravely does not lose his determination to have a proper and happy christmas feast with the extended family against everything the world throws at him.

Love these films, its been a while since I watched them I must leave the boxset I have next to the TV to remind myself to watch them this Christmas.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Just watched it again, immortal! What an ensemble effort. We also get to see Chandler‘s boss and young Johnny Galecki from Big Bang Theory.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    OHMSS
    Die Hard
    Eyes Wide Shut
    2001 A Space Odyssey
    Tron/Tron Legacy
  • OHMSS right now, thanks for asking ;).
  • Ps, trying to watch QoS afterwards - short and to the point - but erm not sure I’ll manage it tbh. And I like QoS tbh. Had my charades routine ready for GA for years ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    muzz100 wrote: »
    OHMSS right now, thanks for asking ;).

Same here, just happened tonight.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    May I suggest "The Family Man" with Nick Cage and a great supporting cast. Love the premise of a man with seemingly everything making a fateful decision and changing the course of his life. Funny, touching and a good message. Highly suggested.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    You might watch Die Hard at Christmas, but that doesn't make it a Christmas movie. OHMSS isn't one either.

I'll wrestle each and every one of you you disagreeing bastards.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    A Christmas Carol (many versions, including A Muppet Christmas Carol)
    OHMSS (1969)
    Brazil (1985)
    12 Monkeys (1995)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    mattjoes wrote: »
    You might watch Die Hard at Christmas, but that doesn't make it a Christmas movie. OHMSS isn't one either.

I'll wrestle each and every one of you you disagreeing bastards.

Willis himself said it isn't a Christmas movie, which is good enough for me. Christmas in OHMSS has slightly more to do with the plot, so I'd be more willing to call it a Christmas movie.

Makes you wonder what the qualifications for "Christmas Movie" are... It's A Wonderful Life doesn't have a whole hell of a lot to do with Christmas, except that the climax takes place then.
    The title of this thread is 'movies you watch/revisit at Christmas'
    They doesn't necessarily mean they have to be Christmas themed! For me, it's films I enjoy/ have fond memories of watching at this time of year!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    They doesn't necessarily mean they have to be Christmas themed! For me, it's films I enjoy/ have fond memories of watching at this time of year!

I rewatched Lethal Weapon last night, I often watch it this time of year, Lethal Weapon feels like a Christmas movie for me.

I also tend to watch whodunits and Hitchcock films at Christmas as these were all the films I watched as a kid.
    They of his films set necessarily mean they have to be Christmas themed! For me, it's films I enjoy/ have fond memories of watching at this time of year!

I rewatched Lethal Weapon last night, I often watch it this time of year, Lethal Weapon feels like a Christmas movie for me.

I also tend to watch whodunits and Hitchcock films at Christmas as these were all the films I watched as a kid.

I think writer Shane Back loves Christmas, as he has a couple of his movies set at this time ( 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' is another!)
    They of his films set necessarily mean they have to be Christmas themed! For me, it's films I enjoy/ have fond memories of watching at this time of year!

I think writer Shane Back loves Christmas, as he has a couple of his movies set at this time ( 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' is another!)

There are strong themes of loss and family that run throughout Lethal Weapon it does not get much more Christmas than that; for me in any case. Plus Jingle Bell Rock / Bobby Helms is my favorite Christmas song.

Its been a few decades since I watched the The Long Kiss Goodnight I don't remember much about the film other than the cast.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I know, I know. I just went slightly off-topic for a moment.

To answer the question, often Home Alone 1 and 2 show up on TV around this time and I end up watching them. Overall, I like Home Alone 2 better, even if it is a partial rehash.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,696
    I saw Home Alone 1 ages ago and hated it, except for John Williams' music, pieces of which I listen to all year, because they come up randomly from my hard disc among all the other film scores.

But I think OHMSS, Die Hard and Lethal Weapon make the better Christmas movies for me, not just the better movies to watch for Christmas. Oh yes, and Harry Potter 1 and The Life of Brian as well. The latter also usable as an Easter movie.
    The only time I watched 'Home Alone', I was rooting for Joe Pesci!!
    Anybody else from Québec here? We have a sort of special program for children during the holidays, called Ciné-cadeau. It's celebrating its 40 years this Christmas. It basically shows a lot of children movies, mostly animated (but not exclusively). Only a handful of them if that are Christmas movies, but it's extremely popular.
    A film I usually watch at Christmas is The Heroes of Telemark. I think it's fact it's all set in the ice and snow that just makes it a seasonal watch for me. It's always shown on TV over the Christmas holidays here in the UK.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The only time I watched 'Home Alone', I was rooting for Joe Pesci!!

Love it 😆
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 14,831
    I'm watching A Storm for Christmas on Netflix. (There's a few good looking actresses that I could easily picture as Bond girls. And I could see some of the male actors play decent Bond villains).
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,677
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm watching A Storm for Christmas on Netflix. (There's a few good looking actresses that I could easily picture as Bond girls. And I could see some of the male actors play decent Bond villains).

Indeed

Dennis Storhøi

oKIPuT0L0jiXfqXIBRzpqrojsPv.jpg
    MV5BNTgwYjc1OWMtZGU5Zi00MzFhLWJjZGUtM2EzNTMxOTU4YjZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzMzODYzNDI@._V1_.jpg
    Univex wrote: »

Indeed

Dennis Storhøi

MV5BNTgwYjc1OWMtZGU5Zi00MzFhLWJjZGUtM2EzNTMxOTU4YjZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzMzODYzNDI@._V1_.jpg

That's exactly the one I thought about. Would be nice to have fairly unknown veteran actors as villains again.

Indeed

Dennis Storhøi

That's exactly the one I thought about. Would be nice to have fairly unknown veteran actors as villains again.

Absolutely! He would be a good choice.

Indeed

Dennis Storhøi

Absolutely! He would be a good choice.

On a side note, I'm always looking for potential actors for Bond movies and usually in these lesser known productions.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,375
    I have Christmas off for the second year running which is rare, so time to plan my viewing.

I have had a long hiatus from Bond films so will relaunch a Bondathon with Octopussy on Christmas day. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Chevy Chase Vacation boxset last year so its Christmas Vacation again...

Christmas Vacation
    Batman Returns has become one of my favorite Christmas movies.
    Octopussy
    Oppenheimer when i have bought it.
    Rear Window
    Vertigo
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2023 Posts: 7,980
    Many of the Christmas classics listed above by others.

I'll add Lethal Weapon