'Tis the season to be watching... (Movies you tend to watch/revisit at Christmas.)

Comments

• BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Classic Star Wars movies
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Die Hard
    Scrooged
    Gremlins
    Biggles (don't ask why, it's a nostalgia thing)
    E.T The Extra Terrestrial
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    What with family and all, I tend to stick to the classics (goodbye, Eyes Wide Shut!)

My Top Ten Christmas List:

10: Elf. It's silly and sentimental, but it has so much heart.
    9: A Christmas Story
    8: Home Alone (just to see Joe Pesci get tortured. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is also acceptable.)
    7: Brazil. I never get tired of this one--a true masterpiece.
    6: Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    5: Monty Python's Life of Brian
    4: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    3: Bad Santa (Unrated "Badder Santa" cut)
    2: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    1: Die Hard

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Thinking of having a Hitchcock re-watch of his Universal Classic Box set.

Hitchcock-CollectionBeautyShot.jpg
    I absolutely love this set.

Back in the day here in the UK they often would have a Hitchcock season over the Christmas period.
    Muppet Christmas Carol - one of MC's finest
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    patb wrote: »

With Michael Caine? I have never seen that one.
  • I’m a Rankin Bass guy myself.

But I also enjoy watching Batman Returns, Die Hard, and OHMSS around the holiday season as well.

Love me some Variety.
    I rarely step out of my comfort zone.
    The Italian Job
    Where Eagles Dare
    Oliver
    Porridge
    Dance of the Vampires
    Some Like it Hot
    And of course, OHMSS is a must with maybe a little Octopussy thrown in for good measure!
    Quite a mix
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A Christmas Carol (1950s and earlier usually)
    A Charlie Brown Christmas
    A Christmas Story
    Brazil
    It's a Wonderful Life
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Seven Samurai (if I didn't watch it for Thanksgiving)
    Twelve Monkeys

Die Hard is good, too. If it's still playing locally I'll see it in a theater this weekend.
    For me it's OHMSS, Eyes Wide Shut, The Godfather 1 and 2, The French Connection and the first LOTR movie (for the snowy scenes).
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Watched Die Hard Last night. One of the best action films ever made. Like a well oiled machine this works so well.

And damn right it's a Christmas film! Just like OHMSS is 😁
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2020 Posts: 5,131
    A Christmas Carol - The Alistair Sim Version.
    A Christmas Carol - The Jim Carrey CGI Version.
    OHMSS.
    Home Alone 1 & 2.
    Jungle All the Way.
    Die Hard.
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.
    Scrooged.
    Christmas with the Kranks.
    The Polar Express.
    The Holiday.
    Love Actually.
    It’s a Wonderful Life.

• suavejmf wrote: »
    OHMSS.
    Home Alone 1 & 2.
    Jungle All the Way.
    Die Hard.
    Scrooged.
    The Polar Express.
    The Holiday.
    Love Actually.
    It’s a Wonderful Life.

I love “It’s a Wonderful Life”. Wish I have put it in my list earlier. It’s always a must watch for my family every Christmas Eve.

“A Christmas Story” should’ve been on my list as well.
    'A Wonderful Life' is fantastic it got me through a tough Christmas many years ago.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Where I said earlier I usually watch the versions from 1950s and earlier, this afternoon I went to a local movie theater with my family and saw The Muppet Christmas Carol.

A joy to see, for Mr. Caine and everything else.

d07301_fc4e524a09f347b69ea03d1c7f3a1090~mv2.gif
    giphy.gif

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,526
    1951 A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim is not only my favourite Christmas movie, but one of my favourite movies of all time.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    OHMSS.
    Home Alone 1 & 2.
    Jungle All the Way.
    Die Hard.
    Scrooged.
    The Polar Express.
    The Holiday.
    Love Actually.
    It’s a Wonderful Life.

A brilliant list.

Where I said earlier I usually watch the versions from 1950s and earlier, this afternoon I went to a local movie theater with my family and saw The Muppet Christmas Carol.

A joy to see, for Mr. Caine and everything else.

d07301_fc4e524a09f347b69ea03d1c7f3a1090~mv2.gif
    giphy.gif

I must make a point of watching A Muppets Christmas Carol this year, still not watched it. I will pencil it in for Christmas Day.
    I haven't started watching Christmas movies because it's still Noirvember. But I'm preparing my watch list, which consists mostly of crime fiction if I'm being honest: The French Connection, The Godfather, etc.

And do we have a 'Ti's the season to be reading thread? Because I mostly do reading.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,267
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I haven't started watching Christmas movies because it's still Noirvember. But I'm preparing my watch list, which consists mostly of crime fiction if I'm being honest: The French Connection, The Godfather, etc.

And do we have a 'Ti's the season to be reading thread? Because I mostly do reading.

A bit early I know :) I was looking for the Advent Calendar thread to set up and saw a few Christmas related threads.

Feel free to discuss any Books you read at this time of year...

Also later on I will put a list of songs I tend to revisit at Christmas.

Regarding Noirvember I think I will revisit The Big Sleep and Kiss Me Deadly before the end of the month.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Watched Home for Christmas on Netflix last year, a really funny and caring Norwegian ("Hjem til jul") romantic comedy about a 30-year old nurse trying to find a boy-friend to present to her family on Christmas day.
    There are 12 episodes of 30 minutes each, all of them great entertainment with lots of surprising plot-twists. Will watch it again this year.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim)
    OHMSS
    Klaus
    OHMSS is always on my list!
    The Italian Job is a favourite too, as is Where Eagles Dare.
    I also watch Polanskis 'Dance of the Vampires'
    I have requested Christmas Day of this year so OHMSS is a must, been some time since I watched it on Christmas Day. In my youth it often played on ITV.

Scrooged is due a revisit also, fun movie.

Bizzarely one of the UK Channels is a dedicated Christmas TV movie channel, they have been playing Christmas content for months.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Back in the day here in the UK they often would have a Hitchcock season over the Christmas period.

I've got this one too! I'm glad you enjoy this box as well, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

I usually watch my favourite slasher series around Christmas. ANOES, F13, H, TCM, ... I simply hate Christmas. I can't stand New Year's Eve. I loath the hypocrisy. So yes, I want blood and death and scantily clad girls running away from Freddy and Jason, just to compensate for all the forced cosiness.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 12,257
    -The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
    -Tokyo Godfathers (2003)
    -A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) - already watched as part of an ongoing Peanuts marathon I'm doing.
    -Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)
    -Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (1970)
    -The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)
    -Frosty the Snowman (1969)
    -How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
    -Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
    -Gremlins (1984)
    -Edward Scissorhands (1990)
    -On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
    -Die Hard (1988)
    -Batman Returns (1992)
    -Black Christmas (1974)
    -The Apartment (1960)
    -It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    -The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005)
    -The Family Man (2000)
    -Home Alone (1990)
    -Scrooge (1970)
    -Rocky IV (1985)

Any of these fine films have potential to be in my rotation.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,267
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I've got this one too! I'm glad you enjoy this box as well, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

I usually watch my favourite slasher series around Christmas. ANOES, F13, H, TCM, ... I simply hate Christmas. I can't stand New Year's Eve. I loath the hypocrisy. So yes, I want blood and death and scantily clad girls running away from Freddy and Jason, just to compensate for all the forced cosiness.

It's a great presentation and a good argument for physical over digital media. Alas I did not get far with my rewatch last year due to work. Should have more time off this year... Hopefully.

I have been anti Christmas for sometime, I said to a friend I will try to make an effort this year, not sure how long I will maintain that idea 😂

Horror movies are a good antidote. I have been getting back into Horror I frequently watch the Horror Channel here in the UK and subscrided to Shudder which has a few good horror classics.

There is a new Behind the Monsters series on Shudder currently there have been 4 episodes so far looking at the iconic characters, Myers, Chucky, Candyman and Freddy so far in the first four episodes.

Shudder via Amazon Prime currently is 99p a month for three months.
    Gremlins a classic @FoxRox I have it on Bluray, I will definitely rewatch that one I need to buy the Sequel also I watched that in the cinema its a good part 2.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It's a great presentation and a good argument for physical over digital media. Alas I did not get far with my rewatch last year due to work. Should have more time off this year... Hopefully.

I have been anti Christmas for sometime, I said to a friend I will try to make an effort this year, not sure how long I will maintain that idea 😂

Horror movies are a good antidote. I have been getting back into Horror I frequently watch the Horror Channel here in the UK and subscrided to Shudder which has a few good horror classics.

There is a new Behind the Monsters series on Shudder currently there have been 4 episodes so far looking at the iconic characters, Myers, Chucky, Candyman and Freddy so far in the first four episodes.

Shudder via Amazon Prime currently is 99p a month for three months.

Oh, good suggestion!
    OHMSS on Christmas day, i have been saving a re watch. I intend to watch Glass Onion on Christmas day also.

I am doing a Peter Ustinov Poirot film re watch this festive season, I am currently watching Evil Under The Sun.
    OHMSS on Christmas day, i have been saving a re watch. I intend to watch Glass Onion on Christmas day also.

I am doing a Peter Ustinov Poirot film re watch this festive season, I am currently watching Evil Under The Sun.

You and me both for OHMSS on Christmas Day!
    I will be watching my usual Xmas films to get me in the mood, 'The Italian Job', 'Oliver', 'A Christmas Carol' (the Alastair Sim version, and the animated Robert Zemeckis one which I've become quite fond of!) Polanskis 'Dance of the Vampires', a great late night watch, and I've bought this year, but not watched yet, 'A Christmas Story' which haven't seen in yonks, and the bluray of 'Diehard'
    Quite an eclectic bunch!