Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Freezing money for scientific research equals economical suicide. Innovation is what modern industries thrive on. But hey... AMERICA FIRST! First to self terminate. Ah well, Americans can keep hunting ghosts in their homes I guess. ... Back to the Middle Ages over the Atlantic?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Because you know it is a lie.

@Thunderfinger, again, I am not in the mood to start fingerpointing based on one-sentence posts. Either you counteract my post with a humongous long post, yet unrealistic summary of arguments, in the style of @BondJames.....or you don't post at all.

Watch this space. I don t care for authoritarians. Your posts being lengthy doesn t make them less silly.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2017 Posts: 17,691
    You SERIOUSLY gonna do this? Chicago under martial law? Oh really Mr. Trump. For how long? How will you decide when it's calmed down enough to 'release' them from it? :-O
    I had an 'OMG'-feeling when I came across this. One of the funny OMG's :)) :

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/america-first-make-netherlands-second-because-they-requested-it
    864x486.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2017 Posts: 12,459

Well. Some of our worst nightmares are coming true, yes. Chicago threatened with martial law and now this crap.

The wall is complete bullshit. It is. It will cost billions, deter nothing, is a facade and tribute to his ego and trying to satisfy his hardcore base. His attitude towards Mexico is beyond ridiculous. Trump (with GOP complicit) is turning our country into an officially bigoted, stupid, authoritarian state.

Think it through, and don't accept the unacceptable.

The lack of compassion and common sense (to name just two critical flaws) in the Trump administration is astounding. I guess nothing should surprise us at this point. But that does not lessen the blatant evil and horrific actions that Trump is pushing to put in action.

Zero compassion. All about control, total control. Worse is to come regarding immigration.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Facism is the word we are looking for I guess.

"Fascism /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism[1][2] [...] Opposed to liberalism, Marxism and anarchism, fascism is usually placed on the far-right within the traditional left–right spectrum.[3][4]"

Check
    Check
    and ... Check.

mein-trumpf-720.jpg
    978-2-7291-2275-1.jpg
    Yes, unfortunately.

And at the same time as this - marching firmly towards stripping civil rights and taking away healthcare from the less fortunate - voter suppression, on a major scale, being put into place by this administration through various techniques and possibly laws. Just watch. Or rather, don't just watch - contact your Congress and be loud about all of this.

He will try to find 3 millions causes of voter fraud and when he does not (which he cannot) he will lie and say he is right. Just look at his record of lying flat out, all along, not accepting facts. Trump really honestly is pushing alternate facts for us to swallow, because he is our Dear Leader, and that is fascism. No hyperbole,;it is authoritarian playbook being shoved down our throats and this will affect every American.

No hyperbole,;it is authoritarian playbook being shoved down our throats and this will affect every American.
    Some Americans it will make quite happy- obviously the top 2%, the KKK, self-hating females, and super-fans of authoritarianism that feel safer in police states.
    Breaking news (for real) Dow Jones hit over 20,000 for the first time today. Deregulating certainly is good for the stock market. My call- invest heavily in home air purifier companies, water purifier companies, and Geiger counter companies. No, I'm not kidding.
    Yes. It will affect all Americans, in a variety of ways.
    Some will be happy. Oh happy days.

Goldman Sachs awards $100 million exit package to president Gary Cohn, who is now Trump's top economic adviser.

The stock market will go up and up for awhile, before it crashes.
    Pro war, pro industry, yeah it will send stocks soaring. Temporarily.
    How temporarily, I don't know. But it won't last.

If people think that justifies everything that is happening, they are dead wrong.
    Kleptocracy. I don't care what words are used, none sound as scummy as they should.

And there is an article you can click into within this- going after all those "illegal" votes.
    Punish, make up facts, start investigations only slanted for Trump, punish ... rinse and repeat.

It is a prelude to WH endorsed voter suppression.

So this is barely a "fake out". You know what Trump really wants.
    Mary Tyler Moore ... has left our world.

Very sad. How I loved her show. I tweeted this particular one because that is the first thing I think of when I think of Mary. God bless her.
    She was like family to us all...
    After that respectful pause ... we go back to our current reality, re our situation with our government.

This is beyond awful and rapidly getting worse.

Here is this. Well worth reading everything here. Within this thread is the full transcript of the Trump interview on ABC, as well as other info.
    He's going Nixon earlier than I thought...
    Worse than Nixon.
    Reading this often now - calls to senators not going thru, line is always busy.

Keep calling. And emailing.

Forgot to mention, but probably many of you are aware: the White House shut off their comments phone line.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,119
    The thing that starts to worry me the most is the way Trump uses the media in an almost Joseph Goebbels-esqye way. I mean, so far Trump shows he's working his buts off. He's signing executive orders like his life depends on it. And we all know that many of his so called 'campaign promises' are purely populist symbolist politics. For instance, we all know that he won't create millions and millions of extra jobs. But he's a master in selling ordinary 'job transfers' as 'incredible job creations'. And I think Trump's base is eating this kind of Goebbels-propaganda like chocolate. The same with his almost authoritarian and narcissist witch hunt on the so called voter fraud. It's as if he's still campaigning against the Democrats and wants to win the popular vote during his 4-year term. And again, his base is eating this madness like chocolate.

On the short term it probably won't do much damage. But he's doing damage to the more long-term democracy and his future successors. By raising expectations of his campaign promises, and by using the media in a Goebbels-esque way, he's factually not doing that much and actually breaks campaign promises, but it still appears that he fulfills all these campaign promises. This is exactly what Chinese and Russian leaders like Putin are doing: Slowly yet effectively destroying democracy.

This also paves the way to an even more greedy, super-capitalist, conflict-prone, early 20th century, globalist version of mercantilism, as opposed to free trade liberalism. A society that's not build on cooperation in the interest of all people, but that's build on nationalism and support for certain people with certain passports.
    Thanks, Gustav. Short term - meaning within months, there will be plenty of damage. Many Americans are more concerned than ever based on just this past week's actions and words by Trump and his administration, and by the complicit GOP - history will not treat them kindly. Things need to be stopped now.

Meanwhile, I found this picture to share with everyone:
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The thing that starts to worry me the most is the way Trump uses the media in an almost Joseph Goebbels-esqye way. I mean, so far Trump shows he's working his buts off. He's signing executive orders like his life depends on it. And we all know that many of his so called 'campaign promises' are purely populist symbolist politics. For instance, we all know that he won't create millions and millions of extra jobs. But he's a master in selling ordinary 'job transfers' as 'incredible job creations'. And I think Trump's base is eating this kind of Goebbels-propaganda like chocolate. The same with his almost authoritarian and narcissist witch hunt on the so called voter fraud. It's as if he's still campaigning against the Democrats and wants to win the popular vote during his 4-year term. And again, his base is eating this madness like chocolate.

On the short term it probably won't do much damage. But he's doing damage to the more long-term democracy and his future successors. By raising expectations of his campaign promises, and by using the media in a Goebbels-esque way, he's factually not doing that much and actually breaks campaign promises, but it still appears that he fulfills all these campaign promises. This is exactly what Chinese and Russian leaders like Putin are doing: Slowly yet effectively destroying democracy.

This also paves the way to an even more greedy, super-capitalist, conflict-prone, early 20th century, globalist version of mercantilism, as opposed to free trade liberalism. A society that's not build on cooperation in the interest of all people, but that's build on nationalism and support for certain people with certain passports.

Republicans believe that they are always at war with Democrats. It has NOTHING to do with national interests and everything to do with the "forces of good and evil." I lived and worked with ultra-conservatives for half a decade, and I can tell you they live their lives as though they are locked in an epic battle. Conservatism is based on two simple principles: God and Money. That's all. Their Patriotism comes from the preservation of the two. Anyone or anything that attempts tear them from either of those is viewed as an enemy and MUST BE DEFEATED.

That is the mindset. And that is why Cons will do anything and everything to defeat "liberalism" (or, as they see it, the work of the Devil), even when it means enlisting someone like Putin to do it.

"By any means necessary" and "The ends justifies the means" are embedded in the Conservative mindset.

Well said, Trip.
    Yes, indeed.

And as I keep coming back to this guy ~ who is pushing the language and attitude of white supremists, all kinds of bigotry, is on record saying he wants chaos, etc., for real .... yes, this guy:

Bannon. In Trump's ear every day and you can see the reflections of that.
    Mexico - ole! :)

So Trump backs down in about one hour's time ... if only this could be forced reaction to the other horrific things he is signing off on.

So please be sure to react. Loudly. To your representatives, media, neighbors, everyone. We all need to keep speaking up, without hesitation.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 17,691
    The Mexican drug cartels laugh at this wall. "Wall? Hahahahaha, we use tunnels gringo. Follarte y el caballo que montó en el!"
    A look at hypocrisy and the GOP (just a few examples) ~

Mexico. Why its leaders and citizens insisted their president cancel his trip to see Trump.
    Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Seamus Heaney.
This discussion has been closed.