Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2017 Posts: 17,691
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Newsflash, guys:
    Bondjames frequents the Trump Era thread. You can head over there to voice your concerns.
    That bondjames is out there, he cant be bargained with, he cant be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and he absolutely will not stop being a Trump apologist...EVER, until you are dead!
    :))
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,119
    It really is, isn't it? :) I love it. I want this to go viral on our forum.
    It's hitting the internet at full steam. Beatles is quite busy with work, but I'm tagigng him here: @BeatlesSansEarmuffs and, well, everybody else. ;)

Here you can watch the entire video with English subtitles ;-):

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/zondagmetlubach/videos/1255295904562149/&show_text=0&width=560"width="560"height="315"style="border:none;overflow:hidden"scrolling="no"frameborder="0"allowTransparency="true"allowFullScreen="true"
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2017 Posts: 12,459
    Yes I posted the whole video with English subtitles (unless yours is longer; I cannot view it now.) This video rules! ;) (I'll check your link at home, Gustav)

I salute you, The Netherlands!

So. Here is one little thing; for real.

Trump has designated that January 20th, his inauguration day, is now a national holiday.
    Called now the National Day of Patriotic Devotion.

Calls to mind which countries, perhaps? .... (For me it reads strikingly like an edict from North Korea - you fill in the blank) ~

scroll down a bit ... someone posted the actual wording of what he signed off on ...

Trump has designated that January 20th, his inauguration day, is now a national holiday.

Calls to mind which countries, perhaps? .... (For me it reads strikingly like an edict from North Korea - you fill in the blank) ~

scroll down a bit ... someone posted the actual wording of what he signed off on ...

Excuse my while I throw up in my mouth a little bit... :-L

When I was a little kid I made up my own word: Mung. It meant that feeling you get when you accidentally step in moist dog poo. Reading the executive order above reawakened that word memory I've not thought of in many decades....
  • Escalus5 wrote: »
    Newsflash, guys:

Bondjames frequents the Trump Era thread. You can head over there to voice your concerns.

And I'm sure they'll be as welcome over there as I have been. (Brace yourself for the walrus onslaught, gang....)
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 3,564
    It really is, isn't it? :) I love it. I want this to go viral on our forum.
    It's hitting the internet at full steam. Beatles is quite busy with work, but I'm tagigng him here: @BeatlesSansEarmuffs and, well, everybody else. ;)

I suspect my company sent me off to the Anaheim convention just so I'd be off the streets on our National Day of Patriotic Mourning. But the show is over & I'm back! Be seeing you.....
    Be seeing you.....

In our Village....
    Number-Six-the-prisoner-26749876-1024-768.jpg
    That program scared the daylights out of me as a child.
    And nowadays it's ... you know who.
    That program scared the daylights out of me as a child.
    And nowadays it's ... you know who.
    Because you know who # 1 is at last.
    8-|
    Sharing this here, just as an aside. Not politically related, or current events.
    But a cool montage of master cinematographer Roger Deakins - his use of silhouettes.
    https://filmschoolrejects.com/paint-it-black-the-silhouettes-of-cinematographer-roger-deakins-b5a57dc9b918#.k7vwko73i

Sharing as just a break here from all the grim and all too real news in the U.S.. So this is instead of something that makes us laugh (oh the Dutch video will keep me going for awhile on that score. And the Japanese Trump video). But I hope you all enjoy it. :)
    Deakins is phenomenal.

How a man like this tricked a nation (or slightly less than half a nation) into electing him as president is just staggering. One has to wonder if there's enough room in the Oval Office for him and his ego.

I'm going to give him another week to get his act together and prove that he's serious about doing the job. Otherwise, I'll be writing to my Congressman demanding that he do his Constitutional duty and bring impeachment charges against the "President".
    I hear you, @dalton.

Meanwhile, here's Bob Dylan for all of us ~
    75-80% of regulations for the fossil fuel industry are being eliminated. Blackout for EPA. Pipelines re-activated with force. Abortion attack on full. ACA disappearing with no replacement.
    It goes on and on.
    Yep, he's following the fascist playbook. Our worst fears are solidifying before our eyes. If he's not impeached soon, this country will be almost unrecognizable in a year's time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But the fascist TPP is dead.
    Some bits of good along the way are inevitable.

No, it isn't dead. Because now....China comes along. Make no mistake, Obama was one of the frontrunners in creating TPP, to make sure that China would not become too influential as global economic trade force. And now you get this:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jan/24/australia-open-to-china-and-indonesia-joining-tpp-after-us-pulls-out

Make no mistake, Australia needs China (and Indonesia). And this is welcoming news for trans-pacific trade. Yes, the USA bows out from TPP, but obviously China now sees every chance to step into that vacuum and to continue trans-pacific trading in a European Union-like style.

In the end the USA bows out from TPP because of populist forces and not because of a realistic view on how global trade works. In fact, after WW II the USA was a frontrunner in global trade. Now they will also realize what the dire and negative consequences are of protectionism and isolationism.

Ooowh, and then there's this news to follow-up on the above news. It includes a new strategy of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, as communicated by the loveable Press Secretary Sean Spicer:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/24/trump-white-house-beijing-takeover-south-china-sea
    J7dmqZY.jpg

So what's actually happening here? The new foreign US strategy is all about 'control' of international (trade) waters in the South-China. And based on Putin's strategy to illegaly invade Crimea, the USA now has a new strategy to initiate island-building on the borders of Chinese territorial waters and international waters in the South-China Sea.

Why? To 'piss-off' China? To destabilize that particular region? And to 'walk out' from TPP while at the same time you agressively want to 'control' the area for a new style of protectionist, old-style trade from the point of view of the Trump administration?

I think it's disastrous.

And lastly, does the Trump administration actually know that Dutch multinational Royal Philips NV has got 25,000 employees on American soil??

http://blogs.wsj.com/cfo/2017/01/23/the-morning-ledger-trumps-outsourcing-criticism-puts-u-s-companies-on-guard/

So now the Trump administration has serious plans to 'kill' jobs in favor of American brand General Electric, which has much more employees abroad. That means not 'creating new jobs'. It could possibly lead to 'domestic job transfers' from Philips to General Electric, which is something else.

A lot is uncertain at this stage, but the incoming Trump administration already makes Philips less interested in investing in the USA. And that means more uncertainty at this stage for 25,000 American employees who are grateful to work for Royal Philips NV.

To summarize everything: The Trump administration so far is only taking a lot of symbolic measures/executive orders, without looking at the long-term consequences and uncertainties. The protectionist/isolationist Trump administration falls back to ancient 20th century strategies with regard to economics, trade and geopolitics.

On the very short term it will only create a handful of new jobs in the USA, that Trump will fiercefully communicate as 'great results' with as much as propaganda as possible. But even after a few years the USA will realize how dire these new politics are, and that they actually kill more jobs for hardworking Americans.
    In what reality did Russia "invade" Crimea?
    In what reality did Russia "invade" Crimea?

Ooowh come on. I don't type 750 words to reply to one short sentence of 7 words.
    Because you know it is a lie.
    Because you know it is a lie.

@Thunderfinger, again, I am not in the mood to start fingerpointing based on one-sentence posts. Either you counteract my post with a humongous long post, yet unrealistic summary of arguments, in the style of @BondJames.....or you don't post at all.

You know what's a lie? The entire Trump administration as of January 19th 2021. Trump is planting the seeds for a one-term administration here, very much like the Carter administration (1976-1980).
    Science ... climate ... education .... Trump's executive orders.
    While the world chats about his horrible speech to the CIA and his spokeman's alarming statements, he has been busy pushing through all kinds of things.

Minor point, but the Trump team have registered this phrase ... great. Not.

Badlands being badass. ;)

Uh oh. Badlands are apparently forced to delete some on climate change ... :(
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/badlands-national-park-donald-trump-climate

Because President Donald Trump has previously said that climate change is a Chinese hoax, and because the administration has, apparently, banned Environmental Protection Agency employees from talking about anything, and because the main National Park Service Twitter account was recently censored by the White House for (gently!) mocking Trump's small inauguration crowd size, Badlands' tweetstorm quickly went viral.

But four hours after the first one went out, the four tweets about climate change were deleted.

What happened? It's unclear. The park didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. But the deleted tweets are unusual because Badlands tweets about climate change all the time.
    Immigration ... next up, apparently. :(
    This will be grim. Trump will be ruling by Executive Order as much as possible.
    GOP still thinking this is all to their benefit?

But ... Saudi Arabia is NOT on the list ...? Hmmm.

edited January 2017 Posts: 17,691
    Escape From LA (1996).... what once was a silly sci-fi movie is becoming our damn reality.
    Yes, so the news on immigration will be grim.
    House Republicans are letting an unstable narcissist go ahead. Do something, so he can say he built that damn wall. Our govt (not just Trump) leaving their senses and their morals behind.

GOP are okaying to fund a barrier of some sorts because ... they get what, out of this? The wall is unfeasible, only a token (one costing billions and lawsuits), and will not stop illegal entry into the U.S.A. It will sow even stronger seeds of animosity among Americans, and our neighbor, Mexico.

Again, this is divisive ... so divisive, not in any way a solution, and not uniting.

Gen. Kelly offers a more sane mind and a tiny beacon of hope. But hey, he's just one man.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/president-trump-is-planning-to-sign-executive-orders-on-immigration-this-week/2017/01/24/aba22b7a-e287-11e6-a453-19ec4b3d09ba_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trumpdhs910p:homepage/story&utm_term=.b1288c875c3b
    says in part:

Trump’s proposed wall is perhaps his most famous and disputed campaign proposal, and he feels so strongly about it that he told The Washington Post in an interview last year that building the structure “is easy. . . . It’s not even a difficult project if you know what you’re doing.’’

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto will visit the U.S. next week to meet with Trump. The Mexican government has said that it would not pay for Trump’s border wall despite Trump’s insistence that the country would provide funding at a later date.

House Republicans have said they plan to fund the barrier, which some experts have estimated will cost more than $20 billion. But experts say the wall would face numerous obstacles, such as environmental and engineering problems and fights with ranchers and others who would resist giving up their land.

Trump has also promised to beef up immigration enforcement along the border and inside the United States — including a tripling of the number of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents — in an expensive and logistically difficult operation to remove millions of people from the country.

Perhaps most in dispute were Trump’s campaign comments on Muslims. He called at one point for a ban on all Muslims entering the United States as a counterterrorism measure and said he would halt immigration from Syria and deport Syrian refugees already in the country.

It is unclear how this week’s executive actions, orchestrated from the White House, will sit with the man who would enforce them: Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly. Kelly, a retired Marine general who was confirmed Friday, struck a markedly different tone from the president during his confirmation hearing, saying the controversial southwest border wall might not “be built anytime soon.’’

Kelly noted that when he was a Marine officer in Iraq, his forces secured stability in part by reaching out to clerics and other Muslim leaders. He vowed to promote “tolerance” and said he didn’t think it was appropriate to target any group of people solely based on religion or ethnic background, including through the development of a registry.
    U.S. taxpayers will pay for this barrier, and that does not include Trump - how ironic - as he has not paid taxes.
    I believe he was born in Russia. PAPERS please!
This discussion has been closed.