Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Dept. of Education shaping up nicely. Not. May even disappear in any recognizable form ...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dept. of Education shaping up nicely. Not. May even disappear in any recognizable form ...

Make America Dumber Again.
    Make Americans segregated again. By race, by wealth ...
    #UNAmerican
    I've been alive for 57 years, pretty cognizant for about 44 of them. Regardless of what our well written Constitution states, it has always been about the haves vs. the have nots. The owners vs. the slaves. Automation and IT can and MUST change this. If not, our very survival as a species is at risk. Capitalism has had it's run, and NATURE has selected it for extinction.
    It is up the all American citizens to make the laws, our Constitution and Bill of Rights be more than just words on paper. We need to do the best we can, continue to speak up to our representatives, act according to principles in our own personal life, be examples, and not give up. Capitalism will not die; I am not that fatalist. We can do far better than where we are right now and where we are clearly headed led by Trump.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 12,459
    Lots of things going on, including senators chatting with Betsy DeVos. Those Q&As are making the rounds. We all like a good chuckle. Till reality hits of her being in charge of dismantling the Dept. of Education.
    (short video clips included in this, just scroll thru)

And aside from that, a group of bikers have confirmed they will attend the inauguration.

There will probably be all kinds of bikers, pro Trump and anti Trump. But also,Trump's statement on this ... so reminds me of how he was at his "rallies."
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I've been alive for 57 years, pretty cognizant for about 44 of them. Regardless of what our well written Constitution states, it has always been about the haves vs. the have nots. The owners vs. the slaves. Automation and IT can and MUST change this. If not, our very survival as a species is at risk. Capitalism has had it's run, and NATURE has selected it for extinction.

@chrisisall, can you elaborate on this point? I'm interested.
    TripAces wrote: »

We automate to increase efficiency, output & profit. There will come a tipping point where production is sky high, and the purchasing power of the people Mariana Trench low. This is where Capitalism will fail. Automation is a tool (think CGI in movies), but to make it THE ONLY tool in use lets all else wither away. Investing in automation is fine, but I'm seeing this everywhere- an addiction to it. You need to invest in people too, or soon we'll have robot factories pumping out product to store in warehouses while job riots destroy major cities. A money-less society OR absolute violent anarchy are the only two choices for our future later in this millenium, and I know which one the richest & most powerful would choose (they are SO next quarter instead of next decade).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    The Department of Education is about as needed as the IRS. Yes you need oversight and regulation but regulation that benefits...

American education sucks so offer me something that tells me the current department works.

Capitalism thanks to greed can't run without proper regulation but not over regulation.
  • As the bumper sticker goes, "If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher."
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    The Department of Education is about as needed as the IRS. Yes you need oversight and regulation but regulation that benefits...

American education sucks so offer me something that tells me the current department works.

Capitalism thanks to greed can't run without proper regulation but not over regulation.

Like everything else in out society right now it's either all or nothing. "Just enough" is a thing of the past.
    Lost In Space fans will get this...
    At exactly inauguration plus eight hours: moral guidance system - destroy; truth transmitter - destroy; ACA pre-existing conditions control system - destroy!
    "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!"

If only we could just push Trump into an alternate 60s sitcom universe where he truly belongs ...

Anyway, here's Dr. Smith and the Robot ;)
    Trump has many positions to still fill. No replacements yet.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-transition-agencies-233811

Also re press in the White House. He is now not removing the press corps en masse from the White House (but oh how things can change quickly with him). Now just wants to control who is allowed in. He will let his team pick those lucky folks. Huh.
    http://europe.newsweek.com/donald-trump-press-white-house-press-room-white-house-white-house-daily-544222?rm=eu

Trump said:
    We have so many people that want to go in, so we'll have to just have to pick the people to go into the room - I'm sure other people will be thrilled about that," he said.
    "And they'll be begging for a much larger room very soon, you watch," Trump told Fox.

***** and *****
    Trump spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters on Wednesday that the first presidential news briefing would be held in that room and "we'll see what we can do going down the road."

And of course Trump still does not want intel briefings often at all, or at any length.
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/intelligence-briefings-trump-prefers-little-possible

So nothing surprising or very new at the moment. Lull before the storm ...

National Endowment for the Arts is next in line to be dissolved. Trump you pig.
    Oh. Good timing, @chrisisall. I'm right this moment about to post some art. Hmmm. Trump will dismantle so much. Our country will have a lot of work to do to restore and heal itself. But we will.

So here is what I'd like to do: As we head into the inauguration, I'm going to break away from political news a bit here. I want to just post a few things that are different, unrelated to any particular politician. Like artwork, poems, stuff like that. Don't worry, I won't post a lot. Feel free to glance at or skip entirely, of course.

I come across things at times that make me think "America" ... without putting any deep thought or meaning into any of this. I'm not looking to analyze; I just wanted to share. So I'll post a few pictures or photos, etc. (And no, I won't be posting sarcastic stuff here.)

Two pieces of artwork I came across this morning.

And I like a lot of Robert Frost's poetry, and some quotes from him. Here is just a tiny bit:
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »

We automate to increase efficiency, output & profit. There will come a tipping point where production is sky high, and the purchasing power of the people Mariana Trench low. This is where Capitalism will fail. Automation is a tool (think CGI in movies), but to make it THE ONLY tool in use lets all else wither away. Investing in automation is fine, but I'm seeing this everywhere- an addiction to it. You need to invest in people too, or soon we'll have robot factories pumping out product to store in warehouses while job riots destroy major cities. A money-less society OR absolute violent anarchy are the only two choices for our future later in this millenium, and I know which one the richest & most powerful would choose (they are SO next quarter instead of next decade).

OK. I wasn't seeing how automation and technology was going to help the have-nots. I've reached a point in my cynicism where I fear for the human race, in terms of technology. We're in trouble. I think we always feared a day would come when machines would take over...and that day is now on the horizon.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Government of the people for the people by the people
    Are You Listening Mr Trump ?.
    He is listening to others. But we have to make those words a reality. "By and for the people".
    This will be a Carpetbag raid.
    Lots of obvious stuff going, for everybody to see. Huh.
    There is too much of this happening, here, there, everywhere ... like all the time.

Oh, the "optics" ...

And yeah, we kinda noticed this:

delete :)
    George Washington's 2nd inauguration - a painting of this from 1793

• LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    Congratulations to the American friends. You get a new President today.
    Elected fairly like Erdogan and Putin.
    1st day of eight years of fun on Twitter.
    Obamacare will get exchanged for Trumpnotcare and the USA finally gets a Great Wall, about time considering China achieved this some thousands years ago!
    Also about time taboo on Golden Showers get lifted, thank you Mr Trump.
    I knew I am not the only one who enjoys showering in beer every once in a while. I like the sparkling feeling on my skin.
    Best regards JF
    Yes, we have a new president. There are a great many people are not celebrating who that is, and I am one of them. America has collectively, due to many factors in our system, made a terrible mistake. But the people I know are not gnashing their teeth and making memes to spread on social media. We are simply determined.

We are putting our faith in our democratic system to keep the damage to a minimum and to right wrongs that may be pushed by this new administration. Go ahead, those of you who are thrilled with Trump or simply hate the U.S. for whatever reasons - go ahead and laugh at that statement. But our system is what we have to work with. It is our government; it is what we have to fall back on. And the system works only as well as the people force it to work (the American people, putting pressure on their representatives and business leaders).

This is the most trying time for Americans. More than with Nixon, by far. This has deeper ramifications. We are trying hard to place our trust in our democratic system - while at the same time watching the new administration try to dismantle it. That is what it is. So we cannot just watch; we have to take an active part in our democracy to preserve it.

Trump as president. I don't care that he is a big-headed celebrity; that is not the issue at all. It never has been. It is his policies, his cabinet and admin. picks, what he and nearly all of his chosen few have said they are determined to do (tearing down so much that is good), plus all the racist, horrible things that he has actually said all along - those are the genuine concerns. Let us be clear: This is not normal. And no, that is not a good thing. It is not like usual politics where the "other" party has won, so let's buckle up and make the best of it ... no. This is different, far different from the last hundred years or so of politics in America. I don't mind making changes in our system, some are needed. But not in the direction Trump is pushing. No.

No to the rise and subtle "normalization" of white supremists and conspiracy theories, the anti-science, anti-environment, anti-public education slant - No to the giving tax breaks and incentives to the wealthy and taking away lifesaving help for lower income and poor. No to killing off Medicaid. No to the coming squashing of civil rights and our freedoms, including freedom of speech and press (that is already underway). A resounding No to the racism and bigotry that has sprouted and which Trump has done very little indeed to discourage.

Clearly, there will not be easy acceptance of many of Trump's policies (by the American people and also by many state governments), if they are attempted to be put into law, pushed through, as he has described them. The GOP having a majority in Congress are heavily culpable and accountable.

I believe in the American people. I don't care how corny that sounds. I believe the majority of American citizens care about our civil rights, our democracy, our freedoms, and each other. Therefore, we have had a bloodless, peaceful transition of power, yes - but that is just the beginning of our struggle and work for our country.

So it is a time for us to be determined, to work within our system. We have to look out for each other, help each other, every day. Do not accept what you know in your heart and gut is wrong. Be kind. Help others. All of that. Speak up when we should, whether that is at the supermarket, on a train, in school, or at the Mayor's office. We have to have hope in the American people, in each other - and to not give up. I never thought of Americans as quitters. I don't think I am alone in this. Let's get to work.

Peace. xx
    I just saw Trump's speech, and the only thing I could post at first was this:
    :( .

But, I think it's important to explain that smiley a bit better....

I think it's better, more wiser that the 'losers' of elections like those in the USA last year, and probably like those in my country The Netherlands in two months from now, stay silent for a while. Call me one of those 'losers' as well then. I've always been a fierce debater, I'm very assertive, and in real-life friends know me as a rather dominant speaker and debater. I don't take 'no' for an answer.

Yet, after watching Trump's inaugural address I have this uncomfortable feeling that it's better if I stay more silent. In my own personal life I have had lots of problems. And even now as a Dutch expat living and working in Barcelona, Spain, I have a lot of problems. Certain members of family would probably think of me as a 'crazy guy' for accepting this insane lower salary I receive as opposed to a Dutch salary. And make no mistake, financially I'm pretty poor. Got only €85 left for the remainder of the month.

Even then I can say that my 'international' style of working and living truly enriched my life. Both as a private citizen and as an employee. You are seeing the complexities of this planet in a more nuanced way, and it becomes so much easier to criticise your own stupid financial mistakes first, instead of blaming banks and governments all the time.

But no matter what I write, it will mostly fall on deaf ears. And when I'm saying that it's better for me to stay silent more often, it is because I sadly have to admit that it's very hard to sell my style of living as something positive for others who struggle with money. My style of living, my ideology, is currently losing. And there's not much I can do about that. Except that I feel very sad.

I wish Donald Trump the best of luck. And probably the man will have some surprises for us, some positive surprises. But to me it felt like I was watching a man ranting against my lifestyle, and with it all my shortcomings. As if Donald was saying "You're fired, you're not my kind of guy!". That hurts and that's not something I expect from a president.

So I will end again with this smiley: :-(.
    We can be quiet here, yet speak up and act in our personal lives where it matters most, Gustav. Thanks for your contributions, always.

Here is a look at the U.S.A. from above (NASA satellite). The lights are still on ... ;)
    Just an interesting look at history. A brief peek of FDR's inauguration ~

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One day, Trump will be hauled over the coals by the very same people who now seem to worship him. Because this man will destroy the future of their kids and create a setback of decades for mankind. History will look back at his election and lift its judgement to Hitlerian proportions.
    Trump will try to do much, he wants to tear down the system (so does Bannon, so does Putin), don't ever forget that. He has several "influences" pushing him, persuading him, by various means. The GOP think they can control him and push their favorite ideas forward. Huh. So doubtful. They are blinded. But I remain hopeful that we can stop him from doing the worst to our country (and the world).

History matters. And even if damage can be kept to a minimum and our civil rights and other things we need and value not utterly destroyed ... if does anything good or middling and muddles through ... history will still not be kind to him. His policies and rhetoric are, for the most part, terrible. And some are completely unAmerican.
This discussion has been closed.