Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2017 Posts: 12,459
    It is a staggering difference - and certainly a profound difference regarding decency, fairness, and intelligence - to Americans also.
    Russia is only one factor. Period. You can go back and forth continually on speculation vs. documented evidence. It is still unfolding, so let it unfold. I don't post even a quarter of what is being investigated or discussed.

We are in unprecedented times and this is no time to be complacent.

This incoming administration is full of bad history, with bigotry and impractical proposals. It seems clear, during the campaign and now, that hatred, revenge, and grievances have all bubbled to the surface with the GOP and a certain portion of American citizens. Today the GOP is pretty much gleeful in their power to tear things down. And what will they put in place? Nothing is reassuring just now. Yes, I want more facts to keep coming to light (totally aside from Russia). I want what is happening to be clear enough to the public. It is not good.

Oh and here is something that again appears so small, perhaps insignificant, but it is telling. During the hearing on Sessions, Trump's team just handed this out.

Every day there is something to question and dig deeper. I do hope genuine investigations continue, and truth comes out, at every level. That is the only hope for things to be at least manageable, for the damage to be kept to a minimum. That's the point we are at in my country. I know that is awful ... and some people won't believe things are that negative or spiraling out of control, won't believe that our civil rights will be severely damaged, etc. - but I don't think it is an exaggeration.

I do believe reading a variety of sources is important. So is not giving up, no matter how tiring or filled with smoke & mirrors this is. After the inauguration, this will be even more difficult. Suppression and bullying of the press and corporations is happening now, even before Jan. 20th. For sure, there is so much going on - it is like a tsunami of bad behavior and disregard for civil rights, with the elevation of celebrity facade over all.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Nicole Kidman says we should support Trump. Now I know why Tom dumped her... :))
    Rather amusing, eh? ;)
    Russia Today cutting in ... somehow ...

And New York Times goes over Trump's plan to avoid conflicts of interest.
    Which several others have pointed out, his answers are not nearly sufficient and he will continue to be in conflict. Kind of a handy way to go over these.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/12/us/politics/ethics-experts-trumps-conflicts-of-interest.html
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »
    Zero. :)

The biggest concern is USA continuing to drop bombs and kill people all over the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/america-dropped-26171-bombs-2016-obama-legacy?CMP=share_btn_tw

But feel free to believe in everything MSM serves.

The guardian is MSM. And you conveniently left out that article's warning: the fear that Trump will make matters worse.

I mean, if dropping bombs is the biggest concern, then Trump's connection to Putin is very much a serious, serious concern. Don't moralize about bombs and then embrace Putin. Make no mistake: what Trump and Tillerson want to do is ultimately STRENGTHEN the Russian economy and thus strengthen their military might. And Putin makes no qualms about killing innocent people, even those aboard a commercial jetliner.

Obama has to walk a very fine line here. While his ultimate goal is to promote peace in the Middle East, he also has to exhibit strength against Al Qaeda and ISIS. He inherited a mess from W, with no easy way out. I think he has responded as well as could be expected. Critics can't possibly think that a Republican in office would have dropped fewer bombs. It sure is odd that the far left views Obama as a "war monger" while right seem him as a soft, Muslim-sympathizer. Well...which is it?

As progressive as I am, I am also a realist, with friends and family who were only blocks from the WTC when it went down on 9/11. I had one who was in one of the towers just the day prior. There were children on board those airplanes, including one who was going on her first trip to Disneyland. I can't imagine the horror that the parents must have been in, holding their child, somehow trying to tell her that they were going to be OK.

Golda Meir once said, "“We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children. We will only have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.”

There ya have it.

I haven't left out anything. If you read my post again, you'll see that's exactly what I said. Along with the fact that, as we speak, Obama's bombs and drones are killing people in 7 different countries, which makes him a war monger and a MIC controlled puppet. Quoting Golda Meir or anyone else doesn't make him less of a killer.

So, in your pacifist mindset, you'd like the U.S. to completely stop its pursuit of ISIS and AL Qaeda operatives? How about we stand down militarily, completely?

In this day and age (for lack of a better cliche), any President will be forced to play that hand--MIC or not. Even if Sanders had been elected in November, he too would be dragged into these decisions and, ultimately, would be dropping bombs too. Guaranteed.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

The biggest concern is USA continuing to drop bombs and kill people all over the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/america-dropped-26171-bombs-2016-obama-legacy?CMP=share_btn_tw

The guardian is MSM. And you conveniently left out that article's warning: the fear that Trump will make matters worse.

I mean, if dropping bombs is the biggest concern, then Trump's connection to Putin is very much a serious, serious concern. Don't moralize about bombs and then embrace Putin. Make no mistake: what Trump and Tillerson want to do is ultimately STRENGTHEN the Russian economy and thus strengthen their military might. And Putin makes no qualms about killing innocent people, even those aboard a commercial jetliner.

Obama has to walk a very fine line here. While his ultimate goal is to promote peace in the Middle East, he also has to exhibit strength against Al Qaeda and ISIS. He inherited a mess from W, with no easy way out. I think he has responded as well as could be expected. Critics can't possibly think that a Republican in office would have dropped fewer bombs. It sure is odd that the far left views Obama as a "war monger" while right seem him as a soft, Muslim-sympathizer. Well...which is it?

As progressive as I am, I am also a realist, with friends and family who were only blocks from the WTC when it went down on 9/11. I had one who was in one of the towers just the day prior. There were children on board those airplanes, including one who was going on her first trip to Disneyland. I can't imagine the horror that the parents must have been in, holding their child, somehow trying to tell her that they were going to be OK.

Golda Meir once said, "“We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children. We will only have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.”

There ya have it.

I haven't left out anything. If you read my post again, you'll see that's exactly what I said. Along with the fact that, as we speak, Obama's bombs and drones are killing people in 7 different countries, which makes him a war monger and a MIC controlled puppet. Quoting Golda Meir or anyone else doesn't make him less of a killer.

So, in your pacifist mindset, you'd like the U.S. to completely stop its pursuit of ISIS and AL Qaeda operatives? How about we stand down militarily, completely?

In my pacifist mindset, I'd like the US to stop arming and funding terrorists, and to stop toppling governments.

This guy is a progressive, and he tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/user/TYTComedy/videos

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People dont want to know. It is so comfy in their propaganda bubble.
    Typical. So we should get used to this.
    Trump administration and the GOP (where has their moral compass gone?) pushing back, cracking down hard, against critics. Nobody is surprised at this point. And this abuse will only get worse.

Republicans summon government ethics chief who criticized Trump’s plan.
    He has pointed out that Trump's plain to avoid conflicts of interest is a failure, very lacking, and unacceptable. Trump's lawyer has given vile threats to others in the past, so we can imagine what kind of pressure, and threats (probably not so subtle either at this point) will be leveled at this man, who is after all doing his job correctly.
    Thanks for that, @Gerard.
    Some of Trump's choices have strong potential to do real harm. One of my biggest concerns is Flynn, Trump's national security advisor. He has pushed conspiracy theories. He was fired from his previous job in DIA. His reputation is far from good. And he is talking to Trump a lot, one of his key inner circle. There is a lot of info on Flynn, what he has said and done, his record. Easy to look up; a lot more than what I am posting.

So Trump can keep adding advisors, all he wants. An advisor does not need to be confirmed by Congress.

CNN is a mixture of reports, has been for years. They have been up/down, accurate at times and just plain bad throughout the election year. (enticing ads on that page, by the way, @chrisisall ... ) /:) I still read CNN at times, but along with many other outlets, sources.

Now we have comedian Steve Harvey joining with Ben Carson to help American housing. Yes ... you could not make this stuff up.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I was watching an episode from the Batman Television Series starring Adam West and Burt Ward. It's called "Hizzonner the Penguin". The interesting part is that despite its campy nature, much of the dialogue in this episode is a beautiful reflection of how things are going in America today. Read along with me:

Robin: Don't you think we should make these election posters a little bigger, Batman?
    Batman: I think these are quite large enough, Robin. After all, the voters are interested in issues, not window-dressing.
    Robin: Sure Batman, but a little showmanship wouldn't hurt us any.
    Batman: No Robin, I want to conduct a campaign that deals with the issues. I'm convinced the American electorate is too mature to be taken in by cheap, vaudeville trickery. After all, if our national leaders were elected on the basis of tricky slogans, brass bands and pretty girls, our country would be in a terrible mess, wouldn't it?

The screenwriters were on to something, weren't they? Tricky slogans, brass bands and pretty girls. Yeah, America voted Trump all right.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,554

There ya have it.

In my pacifist mindset, I'd like the US to stop arming and funding terrorists, and to stop toppling governments.

This guy is a progressive, and he tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/user/TYTComedy/videos

1. Aside from possibly Libya, what government has the U.S. attempted to or been successful at toppling, under Obama?
    2. The arming of terrorist organizations goes back decades. It predates the current President.
    3. The Saudi-9/11 connection was uncovered under Bush's watch. Obama was not President on 9/11.

You just moved the needle and changed the conversation because it didn't suit you. I made a clear case: what did/do you want Obama to do about ISIS and Al Qaeda? And you bring up Saudi-9/11 connections.

I am sympathetic to many of your arguments, but you're not living in Obama's reality.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I was watching an episode from the Batman Television Series starring Adam West and Burt Ward. It's called "Hizzonner the Penguin". The interesting part is that despite its campy nature, much of the dialogue in this episode is a beautiful reflection of how things are going in America today. Read along with me:

Robin: Don't you think we should make these election posters a little bigger, Batman?
    Batman: I think these are quite large enough, Robin. After all, the voters are interested in issues, not window-dressing.
    Robin: Sure Batman, but a little showmanship wouldn't hurt us any.
    Batman: No Robin, I want to conduct a campaign that deals with the issues. I'm convinced the American electorate is too mature to be taken in by cheap, vaudeville trickery. After all, if our national leaders were elected on the basis of tricky slogans, brass bands and pretty girls, our country would be in a terrible mess, wouldn't it?

The screenwriters were on to something, weren't they? Tricky slogans, brass bands and pretty girls. Yeah, America voted Trump all right.

vote-for-batman.jpg

Some very astute writing in the first few seasons of that great show, alas many are blind sided by Hollywood style razzmatazz.

Relevant and timely. Timeless William. ;)
    So Donald Trump rips civil rights activist John Lewis on Twitter this time. The man he worked closely together with Martin Luther King:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-john-lewis-233630

Can I give you an advice Mr Trump? Regardless of how others are attacking you, YOU need to show a presidential attitude. People will judge YOU end of this month. So please....if you do prefer to have a succesful first term, you really ought to stop these Twitter attacks. Already a pretty large majority of Americans think you should stop twittering so much, you are the one that needs to set good examples, not those attacking you.

And then there is this news in which you announce, Mr Trump, that you prefer to move the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem? Oooowh God, I warn you, don't do this please, just don't:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/10/us-embassy-jerusalem-palestine-donald-trump-tel-aviv

There still isn't peace there, but you are basically destroying every hope of peace up there. And while you criticise others for creating ISIS, you are basically giving ISIS a reason to cooperate heavily with Hamas this way. Please don't open this Pandora's Box.

And lastly, why, dear Trump, do you admire Putin more than civil rights activist John Lewis? Why do you admire Putin more than other autocratic leaders like the Chinese Xi Jinping? Isn't it slightly dubious that you have such personal affiliation with Putin? Should a US president sometimes not throw personal friendships aside for the sake of US interests? I mean, is it really necessary to make enemies with the CIA, NSA and FBI?
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-dossier-intel-20170111-story.html

To summarize: The upcoming four years will be a very bumpy ride for the USA. And I'm afraid not in a good way. We've never had a president that behaves like the exponential of Nixon, by always responding to his so called 'enemies', by always attacking them, instead of staying focused on own policies :-(.

I wish you good luck my dear USA. I hope Europe and USA will stick together tightly :-(.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Sorry @Thunderfinger. But I'm not going to read weblinks without any editorial reflection on it.
    You can always follow the links to the New York Times or CNN and read their take on it instead.
    I did too, and see that the NY Times has edited the leaked audio tape, which must please you. And CNN has omitted it altogether. Well done.
    This is pretty messed up, but how is it ever different in ANY administration?
    Politics will always have propaganda; it's like the outer skin of all politics. We will always need to be vigilant, no matter what political party you associate with, no matter what your own political ideas and values are.

At least for these last remaining days we have a semblance of freedom of the press, but those days are definitely numbered.

So on to this - admittedly minor thing but it's another clue as to how Trump works/focuses on his real priorities. There is so much going on here ... just the wording, and the fact this is happening & Trump's staffer has no problem sharing this ...

Well I can't say I didn't see this coming, heh heh. Hillary may be owned, but at least her owners are AMERICAN! :))
    Congressman Ted Lieu's short & sweet profile/bio on twitter. :)

and this:

Ouch! Bern!
    Any kind of burn re Trump getting burnt is good. ;)

• edited January 2017 Posts: 11,119
    I think it's safe to conclude that Putin appointed Trump as the next US president. What an incredible fool the American people will get as president. This man is playing poker. But this time with people, not with cards:
    Trump Calls NATO Obsolete
    http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2017/Pres/Maps/Jan16.html#item-3

In an interview with the German newspaper Bild, Donald Trump said that NATO is obsolete. He noted that it was designed many years ago, countries aren't paying what they should, and it doesn't deal with terrorism. The latter is true. It was designed to prevent the Soviet Union from invading other countries in Europe by promising that if one country was invaded, the others would spring to its defense. If the U.S. pulls out of NATO, it will collapse, giving Vladimir Putin an incredible victory. However, many Republican senators are likely to protest such a pullout in the strongest possible terms, leading to a huge fight within the Republican Party.

In the interview, Trump also dissed the European Union and made it clear he would be happy to see it go away. Previous U.S. presidents were very positive about the EU and saw it as a bulwark of democracy. Some other comments Trump made in the interview include:
    •If BMW builds a plant in Mexico, he will slap a 35% tariff on cars it imports into the U.S.
    •The Bush administration's decision to invade Iraq may have been the worst in U.S. history
    •Jared Kushner will bring about an accord with Israel
    •He plans to continue to tweet while in the White House
    •People entering the U.S. will face extreme security checks, possibly including some European nationals

This will be a presidency like no other. (V)

Ughhh, I totally loathe this protectionist, naive clown.
  • In all fairness, Gustav, we should acknowledge when Trump is right. Bush the lesser's decision to invade Iraq probably WAS the worst in US history.

Other than that, you are entirely correct.
This discussion has been closed.