The great MI6 Community JAMES BOND Advent Calendar

Comments

Great post, Fire and Ice Returns. Loved that you kept it christmas themed.
    I have also never seen that DAF gunbarrel, so thanks for that
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,378

Thankyou a few of the things I posted I have not seen previously, for obvious reasons it's more Sir Roger focused. The Christmas Carol at the end seemed fitting I am a traditional person when it comes to Christmas, Sir Roger's vocal reminds me of simpler times I guess.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I love it. I think it's available on the UE DAF DVD though as that's where I've seen it before.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Andi1996Ruegg was nice enough to share a European James Bond advert with me that he thought could be shared on the thread today, given that the day was open and Jason would find it funny.

I think it's really clever how the commercial uses regular/ordinary everyday sounds to create the Bond theme.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I love that ad.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,675
    December 3:

the-world-is-not-enough-a-christmas-carol-007-style.jpg

skyfall-santa.jpg

XMAS2013-FB.png

If you, like me, are Catholic, today is the First Sunday of Advent.

800px_COLOURBOX5410589.jpg
    Not as popular as last year :(
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Good post @PropertyOfALady unfortunately when something is done for a second time it often does not gain the same interest as it did first time round. Have a great Christmas nonetheless.

I'll pick up the 14th December as well @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You're absolutely right, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Not only do we have less than half our members participating this year from the last, the previous year saw all of us really pouring our hearts out and saying all we had to say about the season and Bond's relation to it in our lives. I wrote quote a lot and shared all I really could share last year, and I think that's why I have been unable to really think up anything else to add this year.

I have some small ideas and stuff I'll post throughout, but all my big contributions have been made and I would never be able to match my output last year as that was the extent of what I had to say.

Maybe the thread needs a slight alteration? Instead of everyone having a day to post things, I could just open it up where anyone on any day could post anything Christmas or Bond related they wanted as it came to them instead of forcing them to wait for their day? I think that would result in less slumps in activity here and would open the flood gates for anything that anyone wanted to share. And for those that have already picked their days in the weeks ahead, they could share what they wanted to on those dates with no issue all the same. I just think that with a looser model we can have more consistent posting here that will help make up for the lower percentage of participation from last year.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    A splendid idea Brady.
    Maybe this thread doesn't live twice but let it die another day!
    For today I'll post a "Twelve Days of Bondmas" Christmas parody I wrote for another thread last year:
    giphy.gif

"The Twelve Days of Bondmas"

"On the first day of Bondmas my true love gave to me an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the second day of Bondmas my true love gave to me two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the third day of Bondmas my true love gave to me three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the fourth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the fifth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the sixth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the seventh day of Bondmas my true love gave to me seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the eighth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the ninth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me nine white cats freaking, eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the tenth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me ten martinis chilling, nine white cats freaking, eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the eleventh day of Bondmas my true love gave to me eleven Barry themes blasting, ten martinis chilling, nine white cats freaking, eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the twelfth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me twelve spies snooping, eleven Barry themes blasting, ten martinis chilling, nine white cats freaking, eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me."
    For today I'll post a "Twelve Days of Bondmas" Christmas parody I wrote for another thread last year:
    giphy.gif

"The Twelve Days of Bondmas"

"On the first day of Bondmas my true love gave to me an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the second day of Bondmas my true love gave to me two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the third day of Bondmas my true love gave to me three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the fourth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the fifth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the sixth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the seventh day of Bondmas my true love gave to me seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the eighth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the ninth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me nine white cats freaking, eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the tenth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me ten martinis chilling, nine white cats freaking, eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the eleventh day of Bondmas my true love gave to me eleven Barry themes blasting, ten martinis chilling, nine white cats freaking, eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me.

On the twelfth day of Bondmas my true love gave to me twelve spies snooping, eleven Barry themes blasting, ten martinis chilling, nine white cats freaking, eight jet packs soaring, seven Walthers glistening, six Bonds a bonding, five Q Branch gadgets, four speeding Astons, three French beauties, two pressed suits and an Ian Fleming novel for you and me."

I want this framed and produced in a poster with art from you, Brady. I'd so buy it whatever the cost.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    This should be the first post of the Xmas thread every year @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Would love me a Thunderball jetpack for a Christmas present...might have to send a letter to Santa
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,378
    These are fantastic...

Really enjoying the posts so far. Can't believe I've never seen that Connery/Beatles video! That was absolutely incredible.

Apologies for posting so late but I've a nightmarish few days at work recently. That's what's so great about this forum and this community, it's a wonderful opportunity to momentarily escape from the pressures of real life and indulge in pure fanboy escapism.

This year I'm going to do something a little different and give thanks to three areas of Bondum.

First I would like to show my appreciation for all 6 Bond actors.

James%2BBond.jpg

Last year I remarked in this thread about how incredible it was to still have all 6 of them with us. Sadly we lost one of the very best this year. I love Sir Rog and was very lucky to have the pleasure to meet him at quite a few charity events for Unicef. I'd love to share a particularly lengthy story in this thread for another date in the Advent calendar if possible.
    It's astounding that after more than 50 years and 24 films they've never picked a bad Bond. All six of these gentlemen are incredibly talented and bring their own twist to the character, it really is incredible.
    I love them all equally as I'm sure many of you do to. It'll be so strange to see Craig eventually hang up the walther but I've full confidence in EON picking the right man for the job.
    Here's to Sean, George, Rog, Timmy, Pierce and Dan!

Next up I want to give a very big shoutout to James Bond Radio, my all-time favourite podcast.
    static.libsyn.com%2Fp%2Fassets%2F2%2F9%2Fc%2F6%2F29c60fe8660c0a46%2FJBR2.jpg

Hosts Tom and Chris never fail to delight and help get my mind out of work and onto Bond. Their enthusiasm is infectious and I could listen to them talk about Bond all day. I had the immense pleasure of chatting to them on their anniversary show this year. I had a blast! It was so much fun. I'd love to catch them for a pint at some stage and continue the conversation.
    If you have never listened to their show, please do. It's so much fun. Here's an amazing episode from last year with the mighty Rog.

Finally I want to say a big thanks and show my gratitude to the Mi6-HQ site and this forum community.
    pWSQA43N26MCC.png

I usually read the comments and don't comment too much. Not sure why I don't get more involved and make more of an effort to get to know some of you. It's a terrific bunch and I adore this thread. I got great enjoyment from it last year and I hope to do for many years to come. Thank you all for keeping the conversations going and for giving me someplace to escape to.

Here's to a very merry Christmas and a safe 2018 for everyone!
    Good post @TR007 I ofter listen/watch JBR on YouTube they have great discussions, I enjoy there Bond Film location visits also.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    They're members on here. Under @JamesBondRadio .

Cheers I have seen them post on here in the past
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Top post @TR007 - nice to meet a fellow fan because I consider myself part of the JBR family too!

Love that podcast and look forward to it every two weeks. So glad they're back after their well deserved holiday. Wish I was in the UK to partake in the location visit weekends that Chris organises. Dan Gale and Warren Ringham did some outstanding work when they were guest hosting too. Their specific podcast episodes are among my favourites.

Tom and Chris are so positive and funny and I love all the mini-games they play at the tail end of their main podcast. Fantastic listen and I love how in depth they go on each film they review (and I think Tom might be in for a pleasant surprise when he finally rewatches Die Another Day - he may like some parts of it!)

Have a merry Xmas and well done on getting on the podcast! Would also love to sit down for a pint with those guys and talk Bond!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,721
    007th of December - here is my post for the advent calendar

THE JAMES BOND VIDEO GAMES OF THE 80s

As a child of the 70s and 80s I played a lot of prototype video games - particularly on my ZX Spectrum 48k.

The company 'Domark' had the Bond option at this time and pumped out a string of 007 adventures - The first 007 game I played was 1985's 'A View To A Kill'. My brother had a subscription for 'Crash' magazine - a publication dedicated to reviewing all the latest games released for the Spectrum 48k and they had one edition that came with a free poster for the AVTAK game. This poster (below) hung on my bedroom wall for some time.

avtak1.jpg

Needless to say - the graphics were fairly basic...This is Bond investigating City Hall (Zorin's deadly fire represented by orangey-yellow block on the bottom left of screen!)

avtak-domark.jpg

'Crash' magazine often had some good cover art - and in 1987 they gave the cover to the game that would coincide with Timothy Dalton's debut.

CRCover42.jpg

TLD had an unusual interpretation of the 'Pipeline' escape sequence in the film. Because in the game you actually had to run down a pipeline protecting Koskov.

Below is a link to see the glorious gameplay...at 2:05 is the 'industrial complex' sequence which sees you avoiding bullets.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bJdzWQsCmO8

Live and Let Die was released the following year in 1988. It began life initially with nothing at all to do with Bond. But the creators were told it was reminiscent of the legendary speed boat game chase in LALD so geared it toward the Bond franchise midway through development.

live_and_let_die_2019698i.jpg

TLD would start a trend in the following Domark 007 themed releases where the Bond adventures were little more than dodge and shoot games. Probably influenced by the hugely successful 'Commando' and 'Ikari Warriors' games that were released around this time. 1989's 'Licence To Kill release' was the natural follow up to this and maintains a similar style - but the graphics slightly improved and the gameplay varied. Flying a helicopter, underwater battles and of course the 18-wheeler chase (which seems perfectly designed for video game interpretation!)

pc-39732-71321706696.png

And tipping out of the 80s and into the 90s it would be a return to Moore once again that would be the final Bond game I played on this Spectrum 48k system - The Spy Who Loved Me.

latest?cb=20120805141209

This was almost a carbon copy of LTK with the Lotus chase taking centre stage and Bond zooming on the wet bike to Atlantis all accompanied by the Bond theme in scintillating 8-Bit sound on the title menu.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYBzSi_e8o

The other curiosity is 'Goldfinger' released in 1985 - a text only adventure game where you typed in instructions.

Goldfinger_video_game.png

I never played this and I think it wasn't very widely released. But I found a link to 'footage' of the game on youtube and the single comment that is on there says...'How the fack is this even a game?' Good question and the answer is: It was the 80s!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sNyglEc8avk

I loved playing these games back in the day and someone on this forum once provided me with links to finding modern emulators.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'm not a gamer, @Major_Boothroyd but I enjoy this gaming history.
    I used to play AVTAK until I dropped...loved that game as a 15 year old.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Lovely post, @Major_Boothroyd! I, too, was a Speccy gamer, but I was young enough that I only played the games my dad brought home for us to enjoy, which sadly didn't include Bond. (Did include Danger Mouse, though!)
    edited December 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I already shared this in another thread, but I've collected all the Bond wallpapers I've had (and made a few more for the occasion), and have corralled them all inside an album on imgur, which you can find here:
    https://imgur.com/a/GyNgD

The collection is made up of everything from screen captures from the films, set photos and original works from me as well as a few extra pieces that I've crafted into wallpaper sized images for anyone who enjoys a particular film or Bond actor. The collection starts off by featuring some special desktops for each Bond actor as well as some wallpapers I've made throughout the years, after which it goes in order from Dr. No to Spectre, collecting wallpapers for the films.

The biggest part of my collection is represented by the Connery and Craig films because they are the closest to my heart, so that is why there is such a disproportionate amount of images for those films. The first three Connery films were shot pre-widescreen photography and this allowed me to use shots from the films as wallpapers because of the more reasonable size of the film stock, a big bonus, and the Craig films have been heavily photographed with high quality images from the set that double for amazing desktop wallpapers. The Spectre images in particular are brilliant, and also the biggest in size to accommodate their high resolutions (just a warning).

I figured that, considering the time of year we're in, it would be in tune with the season to "gift" some wallpapers to my fellow Bond fans as Christmas approaches. I hope everyone enjoys the collection, and finds some cool new wallpapers to add to their collection from their favorite Bond actor or film!

Brady
    99 here for the 9th, bringing you presents from the past!

First, have a photo I took just last weekend in the village of Tyneham in Dorset (not far from where I grew up, and also close to Ian Fleming's boarding-school).

Tyneham is a 'lost village', requisitioned by the military in 1943 and never given back. All the inhabitants had to move out, and now it's part-ruin, part-museum. The manor house was owned by a family named Bond, many of whom are buried in the churchyard. So here's a sighting of the Bond family motto in the wild:

38858429902_86bf176cef_z.jpg

Next, let's go back in time to 2004 and a short break in Prague, Czech Republic. I was, I believe, on my way to the city's James Bond Cafe when I stumbled across something rather wonderful.

From the Secret Service's Most Special Puns department, it's...the Golden Eye optician's:

38173249734_4b040a93fe_z.jpg

I wanted to bring three gifts, but I was struggling to think of a third. I've kept a diary for years, and I thought it might be fun to find a Bond-related entry from way back when. Instead, I turned up a long-forgotten little embarrassment.

I was eighteen years old and in the first year of a university degree. There is simply no excuse for this sort of thing:

231722_600.jpg

As well as the festive season, it's also just over a year since I joined the forum - and in case it's not obvious from my posts, I'm having a great time. Now seems the perfect opportunity to thank you all for being wonderful company.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If it hasn't been taken, I'll do the 10th again like I did last year. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I will do the 32nd.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Great stuff, @Agent_99, and a fascinating look into your past. Your nerdiness is one of your finest qualities, and though it's only been a year, it's been a blast to have you around the place. You fit right in. :)

Here's the updated list of dates for the new page:

December 1st: @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    December 2nd:
    December 3rd: @PropertyOfALady
    December 4th:
    December 5th: @TR007
    December 6th:
    December 7th: @Major_Boothroyd
    December 8th:
    December 9th: @Agent_99
    December 10th: @Murdock
    December 11th:
    December 12th:
    December 13th:
    December 14th: @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    December 15th: @Shark_0f_Largo
    December 16th:
    December 17th: @Birdleson
    December 18th:
    December 19th:
    December 20th:
    December 21st:
    December 22nd:
    December 23rd:
    December 24th: @4EverBonded
    December 25th: @Dragonpol
    December 26th:
    December 27th:
    December 28th:
    December 29th:
    December 30th: @Major_Boothroyd
    New Year's Eve:
    Your nerdiness is one of your finest qualities

I will live and die by my nerdiness :) Thank you - glad you enjoyed!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    4Eoc3lx.jpg
    ggl007 wrote: »
    4Eoc3lx.jpg

Great stuff, snowed here today though not so heavy.