The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,108
    Allegedly, Robert Vaughn was going to be #2 but he grabbed the #11 badge thinking it was II in Roman numerals.

And I didn't know it was running on True Entertainment - yay, thank you!
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Allegedly, Robert Vaughn was going to be #2 but he grabbed the #11 badge thinking it was II in Roman numerals.

And I didn't know it was running on True Entertainment - yay, thank you!

Aaah i didnt know that !!

And yes...Avengers (black and white with Diana Rigg ) followed by Man From Uncle 5 days a weeks,2 episodes a day !!....enjoy !

And whats left of 'The Persuaders!' is on Sundays,2 episodes,same channel.
    Still on my 60's/70's fetish at the moment....does anyone feel that Robert Vaughan,being born English ,could have been a good Bond ?..he seems the American equivalent of Sir Roger and was a lot more athletic...

BTW i met the great man in Piccadilly last year...fantastic to set eyes on the great man.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,115
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Still on my 60's/70's fetish at the moment....does anyone feel that Robert Vaughan,being born English ,could have been a good Bond ?..he seems the American equivalent of Sir Roger and was a lot more athletic...

BTW i met the great man in Piccadilly last year...fantastic to set eyes on the great man.

Robert Vaughn was born in New York City. David McCallum was born in the U.K.
    Yep...i know that..
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,622
    I don't think Vaughn would have been a good Bond. He's not quite big enough.But it's moot really.
    Vaughn is quintessential Solo. He created Solo, as Connery created screen Bond and MacNee defined Steed.
    The three are legend. Giants of the genre.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Fans of the first one should enjoy this: a sequel is currently in the works.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-man-from-uncle-sequel-is-being-written/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm so happy to here this news, let's just cross our fingers that it goes into production and the necessary cast return. I'd love for Vikander to stick around with Cavill, Hammer and Grant return, but if not, I feel like she could easily be written out, but I hope they really go all out with a sequel and take advantage of what they set up in the first film.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm so happy to here this news, let's just cross our fingers that it goes into production and the necessary cast return. I'd love for Vikander to stick around with Cavill, Hammer and Grant return, but if not, I feel like she could easily be written out, but I hope they really go all out with a sequel and take advantage of what they set up in the first film.

Same, although I would like Vikander to stick around. Getting a script together is a good first step.
    The filmmakers showed a deft touch with the first film, essentially a series re-boot, but with a full origins take.
    2nd time around, I'd produce and market, with a focus on broader commercial appeal.
    Looking forward to this new movie.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    The movie from 2015 was released 2-3 weaks after Mi5. For 2018 release it is to soon. Mabey there can try to release it in June 2019.

Sugestion for another woman in the movie: Jocelin Donahue
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2439994/

frontier_ver5.jpg

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    If they take it back to New York high society, inject some urban US style (rather than the Euro approach) and bring in THRUSH then I think it will work.

Ideally, I'd prefer a cast reboot though (particularly Ilya). I realize I'm in a minority on that score.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Don't want to rain on your parade, but there is merely a script being written without any assignment of any studio or producer.

That happens lots of times. I say another UNCLE film is very unlikely. Why would they risk another financial fiasco.

Furthermore Guy Ritchie is a complete failure at the B.O. Except for his one time success Sherlock Holmes.

That's why I would strongly oppose him as a possible Bond director.
    The only request from the characters I'd want is Illya to be Illya again. Not a loose cannon uncontrolled Soviet killing machine. Make him cool, again.

I've no arguments about the New York setting and we'll eventually be getting there as the UNCLE headquarters is set there. However, I don't think Guy Ritchie wants THRUSH to be part of this continuity as I believe he thought that name was, in his words, "stupid." But, I do expect some substitute organization to emerge. They were waiting in the sub for Victoria to board it before she was roasted in the rocket blast.
    Don't want to rain on your parade, but there is merely a script being written without any assignment of any studio or producer.

That happens lots of times. I say another UNCLE film is very unlikely. Why would they risk another financial fiasco.

Furthermore Guy Ritchie is a complete failure at the B.O. Except for his one time success Sherlock Holmes.

That's why I would strongly oppose him as a possible Bond director.
    Fully agreed, and I thought the same thing when I read the article, but given many on this thread are in favour of a new film, I chose to say nothing.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    To be clear, I own the film on Blu, I own the soundtrack from Daniel Pemberton is fantastic.

I like U.N.C.L.E and I wish it would have been highly successful so S(t)upes could no longer appear in future DC films.
    Ye of Little Faith.
    Ye of Little Faith.

Look matey, I'm waiting since 20 years for a Barb Wire sequel and it doesn't happen :naughty: :lol:
    Ye of Little Faith.

Look matey, I'm waiting since 20 years for a Barb Wire sequel and it doesn't happen :naughty: :lol:
    Was a sequel to Barb Wire announced, though? Because if we're only sticking to speculations, The Lone Ranger also should've spawned a sequel "soon".
  • Think about all those disappointed fans who were anticipating The Ravagers after being told it was coming at the end of The Wrecking Crew.... :smile:
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,622
    A sequel is quite possible even if Part One didn't do great box-office.
    The key is whether a scenario exists for a fresh approach to work.
    There are enough creative positives to be extrapolated from the first film to build on.

If the first film was awful, then yes forget about it, but it wasn't.

A more commercial approach is needed I think

And yes do re-introduce Thrush!

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    timmer wrote: »
    A sequel is quite possible even if Part One didn't do great box-office.
    The key is whether a scenario exists for a fresh approach to work.
    There are enough creative positives to be extrapolated from the first film to build on.

If the first film was awful, then yes forget about it, but it wasn't.

A more commercial approach is needed I think

And yes do re-introduce Thrush!

What he says! Anyway, @BondJames, Guy Richie did make a few very well received films (Snatch, Lock Stock and two smoking Barrels) and with UNCLE he sort of played on this style. I think a sequel, indeed with more connection to the old series, would do better at the box. The first didn't do that well, but didn't do badly either and pops up in many a 'films that were better then performed' lists.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    The first didn't do that well because Mission: Impossible and Straight Outta Compton churned out the attention from it as much as they could.
    107 million USD worldwide doesn't exactly scream success no matter which films may have rivalled Uncle at that time.
    They should do the sequel as a four part mini series on Netflix Original.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    107 million USD worldwide doesn't exactly scream success no matter which films may have rivalled Uncle at that time.
    They should do the sequel as a four part mini series on Netflix Original.

From a business point of view I disagree. 30% profit in two years approximately isn't bad, especially in a business where a few big ones cover the losses on many.
    Uncle was a write off for Warner and one of the bigger financial disasters in 2015. Where do you get 30% profit from?
    It reportedly lost about 50 to 80 million USD.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Basic rule of movies for every $ spent you need to make $3 back just to break even.
    If this is an appreciation thread then please forgive me, but if they are going to make a sequel to this they'd better make sure it's far better than what they gave us in 2015.

That film was all gloss but the characters didn't feel genuine to me. It was almost like a pantomine (for lack of a better description). Actors acting rather than embodying. Most of the disconnect came from Hammer's characterization (not a surprise), but I found Vikander strangely 'off' as well. Perhaps shockingly given his well deserved reputation, Cavill's interpretation seemed the best.

I agree with @BondJasonBond006 that a tv miniseries adaptation for the sequel might be a better way to go.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I really liked it.....slick, well cast and stylish. On the other hand I disliked Kingsman.....too much unfunny comedy (bar Firth who was excellent).