The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• Thank you guys. I thought I'd just add that I really love this movie from the style to the execution. I'm especially in awe of Alicia Vikander. I really would love a sequel but it's doubtful. I'm interested to see if there was a sequel, what would you do and even who would you cast?
    of Alicia Vikander.
    You all know she the new Lara Croft. I hope she does more then 2 flicks in that franchise. Forget her as a Bond girl.
    Great poster Madeleine. Also U.N.C.L.E. returns to Comic Con! For attendees of Comic Con, please don't miss the screening of "the Man from U.N.C.L.E." this Saturday 23 at 4:30! http://www.comic-con.org/cci/films
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Thank you guys. I thought I'd just add that I really love this movie from the style to the execution. I'm especially in awe of Alicia Vikander. I really would love a sequel but it's doubtful. I'm interested to see if there was a sequel, what would you do and even who would you cast?
    I think an UNCLE sequel is very likely. Even though not so soon, but in the next decade, I figure there will be, still set in the 1960s because the original series was part of that decade's pop culture. Now, what I'd love to see is Guy Ritchie's incarnation of the UNCLE organization and its form. I'd love to see Elizabeth Hurley taking on the role of either a Super-Spy or a villainess against Cavill's Napoleon Solo. And additionally, I'd love a cocktail party sequence with tuxedos and martinis.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Here's a fan poster I recently made:

the_man_from_uncle___retro_poster_by_swannmadeleine-daamf3w.jpg
    Nice poster @Swann! I love that Gaby is prominent foreground. That's the poster I'd hang on my wall.
    @devlin. I think there may be a sequel. The movie has been well received, if not boffo box-office, so there is something to build on, especially the great ending that teased the birth of Uncle!
    What I would do is market a new film as a new Man From Uncle film as opposed to TMFU part 2
    Come up with good title and promote the film on its own merits, subtitled as a new TMFU adventure. Even re-casting wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd prefer not.
    Another round of Cavill, Hammer, Vikander and Grant would be fine.
    Even if Vikander wasn't available, she could be temporarily written out.
    Sure looking forward to Alicia as Lara Croft.
    That's gonna be great! Plus Gadot continuing as Wonder Woman in her own Standalone.
    Such female action-hero bounty!

timmer wrote: »
    Here's a fan poster I recently made:

the_man_from_uncle___retro_poster_by_swannmadeleine-daamf3w.jpg
    Nice poster @Swann! I love that Gaby is prominent foreground. That's the poster I'd hang on my wall.
    Lest we forget she's been playing mother the whole time. ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Thank you guys. I thought I'd just add that I really love this movie from the style to the execution. I'm especially in awe of Alicia Vikander. I really would love a sequel but it's doubtful. I'm interested to see if there was a sequel, what would you do and even who would you cast?
    I think an UNCLE sequel is very likely. Even though not so soon, but in the next decade, I figure there will be, still set in the 1960s because the original series was part of that decade's pop culture. Now, what I'd love to see is Guy Ritchie's incarnation of the UNCLE organization and its form. I'd love to see Elizabeth Hurley taking on the role of either a Super-Spy or a villainess against Cavill's Napoleon Solo. And additionally, I'd love a cocktail party sequence with tuxedos and martinis.

This! Absolutely!
    Meanwhile......... U.N.C.L.E. has joined the Heroes and Icons network line up. http://www.heroesandiconstv.com/shows/the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Vikander is Fassbenders GF. If he were Bond, she could be a Bond girl for guaranteed chemistry.
    I really don't see Vikander as a Bond Girl, though. She was perfect for the role of "The Innocent" in UNCLE, but she's definitely not a Bond Girl type.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 5,131
    She is more so than Spectre's lead Bond girl (pale, buck toothed and not quite attractive enough - she is pretty, but not sexy).
    I've got to agree with that one.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 5,131
    I want Emily Ratajkowski as a minor part, simply because she is amazingly attractive.
    Oh I can name a few... or more... Adriana Lima would be amazing to have, for starters.
    Can't argue with that.
    Adriana Lima, Irina Shayk, Candice Swanepoel, Elsa Hosk, Doutzen Kroes, Barbara Palvin, and the list goes... :D
    U.N.C.L.E. sweeps the cover of the latest "TV and Satellite" magazine. https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/details/TV_Satellite_Week_Magazine?id=CAowvZvxAw&hl=en
  • Of course, it's almost the one-year anniversary of the movie.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/04/u-n-c-l-e-movie-we-hardly-knew-ye/
    One of the best compilations on you tube. Why we love this series.
  • The funny thing is @Delfloria, ever since I posted this.......
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/guy-ritchie-left-rocco-start-8859539

Guy Ritchie as director for Bond #25? I actually think it's an inspired choice. Why?

First of all, despite "UNCLE" being a financial flop (it grossed only $110 Million worldwide), critically it has been received much better. On par and sometimes even better than "SPECTRE":
    --> 67% on RottenTomatoes (vs. 65% for "SPECTRE")
    --> 57% on Metacritic (vs. 60% for "SPECTRE")
    --> 7.3 on IMDB (vs. 6.8 for "SPECTRE")
    --> 3,32 stars on Moviemeter.nl (vs. 3,31 stars for "SPECTRE")

Then there are practical reasons to hire Guy Ritchie. Ritchie is mainly doing Warner Borthers productions. "Sherlock Holmes 1", "Sherlock Holmes 2" and "UNCLE" all were Warner productions. So Guy Ritchie might be part of a larger 'umbrella deal' that includes the settlement of the distribution rights with Warner Bros. as well.

Also, since new Bond directors generally bring in their own crews with whom they previously worked with, movie score composer Daniel Pemberton ("The Game", "Steve Jobs", "UNCLE") could very much be brought onboard as well.

Lastly, signing up Guy Ritchie might be a serious attempt to bring down the production (and casting/crew) budget of Bond #25, since Ritchie, after his 'flop' with "UNCLE", is a relatively cheap director.

To round it up, I actually think hiring Ritchie might be quite inspired really. Sam Mendes already re-introduced some Connery-esque humour in "SPECTRE". Ritchie could continue on that and actually bring BACK that 'Guy Hamilton'-esque zest and stylish action, without being compared too much with the tech-driven Brosnan films. Even Daniel Craig might like the idea, as he never worked with Ritchie in a movie where he's starring in the leading role.

What do you guys think? Daniel Craig as James Bond-007 in "Trigger Mortis" :-P, directed by Guy Ritchie?

.....I actually think a sequel of "The Man From UNCLE" might have a chance IF the next Bond film will be distributed by Warner Brothers. On top of that, if Guy Ritchie and Daniel Pemberton will be the new crew members of Bond #25, then EON Productions in return could be interested in reviving "UNCLE" as the more comedy-esque spy franchise as opposed to James Bond. And perhaps -wishful thinking off course :-P- the new sequel could be credited as "Henry Cavill as Ian Fleming's Napoleon Solo in 'The Man From UNCLE 2' " :-P.
    I was very disappointed in the MFU film recently....no proper original soundtrack,no chemistry...it was just a 60's based spy film...no identity.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    I was very disappointed in the MFU film recently....no proper original soundtrack,no chemistry...it was just a 60's based spy film...no identity.

I loved the soundtrack:

all well and good but where was the blast from the original series..

The same could have been said of the first "Mission: Impossible" movie ;-).

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    barryt007 wrote: »

The same could have been said of the first "Mission: Impossible" movie ;-).

Couldn't Miss it.
    the original MI film had the original score running right through it,where was the MFU original tune ?
    the original MI film had the original score running right through it,where was the MFU original tune ?

3-4 notes when Solo was checking radio stations in the truck.
    barryt007 wrote: »

3-4 notes when Solo was checking radio stations in the truck.
    and nothing more ?

I was referring to the tone of the film, sans music