The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Loved Kingsman, was really disappointed with TMFU. If they do get a second movie
    I hope the can capture some of the fun of the old series.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The original show was very cheap and cheerful. I liked the way they sexed up the film but still made a stylish period piece.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I very much prefer the film over the TV series.
    For me the film was all style with no substance.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

That's how I felt.
    The film didn't need further character development or a story to explore if some were looking in for that. It's built on the cornerstones of a EuroSpy film where stylish secret agents go after a lavishly luxurious supervillain tending to use high-tech weaponry to spread chaos. That's what The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was. A EuroSpy film made by an American/British production.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The film didn't need further character development or a story to explore if some were looking in for that. It's built on the cornerstones of a EuroSpy film where stylish secret agents go after a lavishly luxurious supervillain tending to use high-tech weaponry to spread chaos. That's what The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was. A EuroSpy film made by an American/British production.
    That makes more sense now. I can see that now that you mention it. I don't know how they thought they were going to make money with that kind of concept (there is no way it would sell Stateside) and the comments about MI-RN having interfered with its release that I read somewhere are moot because they were chasing completely different markets as far as I see it.
    I wanted to see Solo and Kuryakin take on THRUSH. I was disappointed.
    Actually, come to think of it, SP has a bit of a Euro thing going on as well, both aesthetically and in terms of the characters (a bit cold). Not exactly Euro spy but certainly geared more for Euro markets, which is probably why it did better there.
    The film has a lot more fans than you'd* realize. It's a celebrated film in Russia and has gained quite the popularity overseas than it has in the US, where its following is also increasing by numbers.

* - 'You' as in people in general.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I absolutely loved it.

Great atmosphere, great soundtrack, fun performances, European chique all over the place. I had a blast with it. One of my favourite films from 2015.
    My favorite spy film in the last 20 years... Maybe since Tomorrow Never Dies.
    Good to know, sorry to hear the Bond series isn't working out for you. :P
    Good to know, sorry to hear the Bond series isn't working out for you. :P
    :P
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Uncle was a write off for Warner and one of the bigger financial disasters in 2015. Where do you get 30% profit from?
    It reportedly lost about 50 to 80 million USD.

Well that was the numbers I'd seen, but it indeed appears to be about 50 million loss. The best calculus I found is this one:
    http://www.boxofficeflops.com/yearly-breakdowns/2015-2/the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e/
    Pity. I think indeed it was a far more European film. It's something I've noticed more recently. It seems the tastes of the European and American public are going seperate courses.
    Sad case in point beeing sausage party.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    They've always been different to a certain degree. Case in point: our very own Licence to Kill.
    I guess that makes me an American with a European soul.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Oh I thought you are European @ClarkDevlin
    By ancestry, I am. ;)
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I absolutely loved it.

Great atmosphere, great soundtrack, fun performances, European chique all over the place. I had a blast with it. One of my favourite films from 2015.

+1.

Yes. +1.
    Just watching an episode of UNCLE i taped,just the theme and the soundtrack blast the film into touch...what a wasted opportunity that film was..
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »

That's how I felt.

Seconded. Pretty looking movie at times, quite stylish, but hardly any substance.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

That's how I felt.

Seconded. Pretty looking movie at times, quite stylish, but hardly any substance.

Plus I didn't care for the leads. Cavill's Robert Vaughn impression was awful and I have no idea what Armie Hammer was supposed to be. I also hated how it had all the cliche's of a buddy cop film. Rivals who hate each other. Forced to be partners, angst ensue's one of them is in trouble and they like each other now. Buddy buddy. stuff happens and origin is over. Boo. I'm sick of all these movies being origin stories. I don't care about the origins, I want the series proper.
    They need to reboot it and play to the series strengths and soundtrack.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Murdock, agreed. I'm not terribly impressed by either Cavill or Hammer, so it was already going to take a lot for that movie to impress me. Same with Vikander, just not crazy about her acting, but I did like her in 'Ex Machina.'
  • RC7RC7
    The Ritchie film wasn't stylish in the slightest. There's no authenticity, it's fake to the core. Style for people who read GQ.
    And why make out that Napoleon had to be blackmailed into working for them ?
    Tarnishes the character, for me.
    And why make out that Napoleon had to be blackmailed into working for them ?
    Tarnishes the character, for me.

Reminds me of that series White Collar.
    RC7 wrote: »
    The Ritchie film wasn't stylish in the slightest. There's no authenticity, it's fake to the core. Style for people who read GQ.
    That's my feeling as well, but I can appreciate that this might have been what they were going for, if it was supposed to be Eurospy.