The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• barryt007 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    the original MI film had the original score running right through it,where was the MFU original tune ?

3-4 notes when Solo was checking radio stations in the truck.
    and nothing more ?

Nothing more. Interview with Daniel Pemberton in 2015:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/daniel-pemberton-u-n-c-l-e-score-avoids-007-sound/
    The new movie gave more a nod to the original theme than one of the original 8 UNCLE movies (How To Steal The World) from the 60's, which did not include a single note of the original theme at all. So if the original team could do it why not the new one?
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    I was very disappointed in the MFU film recently....no proper original soundtrack,no chemistry...it was just a 60's based spy film...no identity.

Each to their own, of course -- I quite enjoyed the chemistry between this version of Solo and Ilya. This was, to my sensibility, a perfectly reasonable origin story for the U.N.C.L.E. team. I'd love to see more, but given the financial returns on the first film, I won't be surprised if no sequel is forthcoming.
    delfloria wrote: »

That's a great little article.
    I liked this bit. We learn new and fun things.

ILLYA KURYAKIN'S NAME WAS INSPIRED BY A FICTIONAL PROSTITUTE.

The name Ilya was taken from the lead character in Jules Dassin's 1960 film Never on Sunday. She was a carefree prostitue in Athens, Greece. Later that decade, the movie was turned into a Broadway musical, Illya Darling.

===and Fleming came up with the name April Dancer too, as well as Solo.

Must get paws on Girl From Uncle Series someday. The Amazon price though is outrageous. I've burned through all the Uncle seasons and movies, but have yet to indulge the Uncle exploits of April Dancer.
    However I recently sprung for the Batman 66 complete blu-ray series, and am loving it, so I may yet splurge for Uncle Girl!

what do you mean borrow, pull it off a bit torrent or something?
    I do plan on buying someday though, as it would complete my Uncle collection.
    I have complete Bond. Uncle. Flint , Helm and Batman 66.
    Just need Uncle Girl and an Avengers & New
    Avengers set, and my collectable goals for this genre are complete.
    I'm sure I've seen virtually all of the Avengers episodes but for the Steed-Cathy Gale series, but I've never seen a single Ep of TGFU!

Of course, it's almost the one-year anniversary of the movie.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/04/u-n-c-l-e-movie-we-hardly-knew-ye/
    Good read. I think that gives an accurate account of the film's impact.
    I still think a follow-up would be worth doing.
    Take a fresh approach. Do pickup where the first film left off, but take a brazenly commercial approach. ie come up with a catchy title. Introduce the Uncle tropes, not because they are familiar, other than to fans of the original series, but because they are exciting and can be fully exploited all over again.
    Re-introduce the secret HQ, the DelFloria secret entrance, the badges, Uncle girls walking about, Thrush. All the fun Uncle spy stuff
    Take a less understated approach. Borrow from the Kingsmen, Marvel cinema universe, for example.
    But keep it clever and smart, but with crowd pleasing in mind. Budget would have be kept tight, but an exciting film could still be made without excessive explosions and costly effects.
    The 2015 film might have been too clever and "artish' for its own good.
    I enjoyed the movie, but the approach might have compromised broader box-office.

Agreed, Timmer.
    Terrific fan film of movie Illya's past.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed. Helluva of a video-making!
    Happy Halloween......... U.N.C.L.E. arrives in 7th as one of the best spy films of the decade! http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-double-o-section-turns-ten-look.html
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Number #7 is not bad. Nice review of the film.
    I would have ranked it #1 on that list. I wouldn't put any of the re-boot Bonds ahead of it, but that's just me. I love my Uncle, but not a massive fan of re-boot Bond.
    The Guy Ritchie Uncle had a real smart vibe about it!
  • RIP Robert Vaughn. This has been a terrible year...
  • There was only one Robert Vaughan, a true Legend!
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Yes indeed a sad day for Uncle fans.

The original, the essential, Man From Uncle has passed.
    He lived a full life, age 83, including 4 glorious years, portraying, the smoothest of secret agents, Napoleon Solo.
    The free world thanks him for his service.
    The world is a safer and freer place, not to mention , that much more debonair and stylish.

Two of the three great '60s gentleman-spy icons have passed in recent years.
    The essential John Steed, Patrick MacNee and now the essential Napoleon Solo.

The great Connery persists, age 86.

btw I noticed today HMV was stocking complete TMFU tv series on shelves. Good price too.
    It looked to be part of a collection of Complete Series sets of various shows, to attract the Christmas season buyer.

• edited November 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Bullitt+Chalmers.jpg

Bullitt

Two of the coolest actors of all time
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RIP to Robert Vaughan. One of my favourite actors. Glad that he lived a good full life.
    Gutted to learn of the passing of Robert Vaughn. RIP
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,708
    RIP Robert Vaughn. This has been a terrible year...
    He Had a great career. He starred with the Late Patrick MacNee not just in The Return of the Man From UNCLEThey together few times in Late David Carradine's Hung-Fu the Legend continues as they rescue David Carradine.

• edited November 2016 Posts: 1,661
    He also appeared in UK's longest running tv soap, Coronation Street! Not many American actors do that. ;)

Farewell, Mr Solo.
    The current edition of M.I. Confidential on p.37 has an article about Ian Fleming's contributions to the creation of The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
  • The Man From UNCLE episode guide, one of the first UNCLE fan sites, marked its 20th anniversary on Dec. 1.

https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/
    The Man From UNCLE episode guide, one of the first UNCLE fan sites, marked its 20th anniversary on Dec. 1.

And an invaluable resource it is. Happy anniversary!
  • timmer wrote: »
    The Man From UNCLE episode guide, one of the first UNCLE fan sites, marked its 20th anniversary on Dec. 1.

And an invaluable resource it is. Happy anniversary!

Here's a retrospective of it's ups and downs. More ups than downs. Post includes two examples of self-admitted geek behavior.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/01/re-post-20-years-of-the-u-n-c-l-e-episode-guide/
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    The Spy Command is a great resource. Hope it sticks around forever.
    Interesting bit re Stanley Ralph Ross. Batman is one of the best written shows of all-time.
    His crossing over to Uncle, is of course a great thing.
    I thoroughly enjoy Uncle S3. Part of Uncle's charm was it's escapist spyfy bent.
    The series just needed to be dialed back a bit for S4, which it was.
    Too bad it couldn't have continued but by 1968, it seems the whole genre was running out of gas.
    Even Bond was in transition, post Connery.

I would like to see a full blown tv Uncle relaunch, set in the modern day.
    I think it could work for maybe another 4 year run considering how popular the DC universe, TV shows are doing, ie Arrow spawning Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow.
  • Watched this for the first time the other night, really enjoyed it . Any word on a sequel,? it'd be a shame if there wasn't one the end of the movie set it up perfectly.
    Im not a top officiado of this series but im watching one now,as they are being re-run on 'True Entertainment' channel straight after 'The Avengers',which im also recording,i'm just curious as to why Ilya is #2 and Napoleon #11 compared to Mr Waverley's #1.

Ilya is that high up ?...the successor to Mr Waverley ?

Any comments ?