Challenge the Count

123457»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    jake24 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    @ToTheRight, QoS evokes that old school flavour in many scenes (at least in terms of rich colours) but the film moves so fast that one doesn't have an opportunity to really feel the locations in the same way.

I agree especially on TB. I always feel like I'm on a vacation when I watch that film.

Yes, it does- especially the dessert scenes. CR has a beautiful color palate as well. One of my favorite shots is Craig coming off the plane in the Bahamas then the cut to him driving. That is a pure classic DN/TB look.
    I agree. That scene is pure class and Arnold delivers with the score as well. Craig doesn't look too shabby either.
    I think that's the only scene in the film that I dislike. Not because of the visuals or the score, but because the product placement is so blatant that it seems like I'm watching a Ford commercial, especially that the logo appears right when the You Know My Name motif kicks in.
    It's true, but the similar product placement of the Ford Ka in QoS was more offensive imho. There just happens to be a scene conveniently allowing its driver (an independent, strong woman who doesn't fall for chauvinist Bond's charms) to showcase its maneuverability in tight corners.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    @ToTheRight, QoS evokes that old school flavour in many scenes (at least in terms of rich colours) but the film moves so fast that one doesn't have an opportunity to really feel the locations in the same way.

I agree especially on TB. I always feel like I'm on a vacation when I watch that film.

Yes, it does- especially the dessert scenes. CR has a beautiful color palate as well. One of my favorite shots is Craig coming off the plane in the Bahamas then the cut to him driving. That is a pure classic DN/TB look.
    I agree. That scene is pure class and Arnold delivers with the score as well. Craig doesn't look too shabby either.
    I think that's the only scene in the film that I dislike. Not because of the visuals or the score, but because the product placement is so blatant that it seems like I'm watching a Ford commercial, especially that the logo appears right when the You Know My Name motif kicks in.
    It's true, but the similar product placement of the Ford Ka in QoS was more offensive imho. There just happens to be a scene conveniently allowing its driver (an independent, strong woman who doesn't fall for chauvinist Bond's charms) to showcase its maneuverability in tight corners.

Jesus don't get me started on that scene. Actually if the Count had offered that as a counter to the DAD tsunami in his shoddy attempts to argue against it he might have had a chance of success. Terrible, terrible scene.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The only thing I can't stand in that scene is the suit Bond is wearing when he touches down in the Bahamas. By far the worst dressed Dan has ever looked in the role (I love him in everything else). The suit coat and pants look so loose and poorly fit I wouldn't have been surprised if they slipped off of his frame while buttoned as he passed the plane.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Jesus don't get me started on that scene. Actually if the Count had offered that as a counter to the DAD tsunami in his shoddy attempts to argue against it he might have had a chance of success. Terrible, terrible scene.

I very rarely watch QOS. Betrayal of CR.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    But at least in QOS, Bond wasn't driving it. Bond driving a Ford, my God what is next... drinking Heineken?

8->
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Oh come on people! Are we now nitpicking on an excellent scene? Or is product placement only allowed when it's a Rolex or Canada Twin Otter?

It's a rental car, he wouldn't go and rent an Aston Martin, and it gives him the opportunity to win the DB5. It all makes sense in context.

Same goes for Camille, what would you have her drive? Only something that's from a manufacturer that hasn't got a deal with EON? It works for the story. I don't like the car either but at least it isn't a Ssangyung or anything of that sort..
    Oh come on people! Are we now nitpicking on an excellent scene? Or is product placement only allowed when it's a Rolex or Canada Twin Otter?

It's a rental car, he wouldn't go and rent an Aston Martin, and it gives him the opportunity to win the DB5. It all makes sense in context.

Same goes for Camille, what would you have her drive? Only something that's from a manufacturer that hasn't got a deal with EON? It works for the story. I don't like the car either but at least it isn't a Ssangyung or anything of that sort..

It's not the fact that they are just driving ordinary cars. It's the fact they are filmed like commercials for said cars.

I can live with the CR one as Arnold smashes it out of the park there but the QOS one is shockingly done. It's just a scene to show the car nipping through city traffic and turning deftly round corners. At least the CR one is just an establishing shot but the QOS one is like a full on advert. I'm surprised there's not a load of blurb at the bottom saying 'Available for £149 per month (based on deposit of £1000 and 7.9% APR).'

I know they have to have product placement but it seems like Ford were calling the shots here not EON. I'm sure it's all contractual: '1 minute of screen time featuring 5 profile shots, 5 front on shots and 5 interior. 5 shots of it going round a corner to show off the handling, 3 of it accelerating, 1 of it stopping.'

Wouldn't even surprise me if Ford sent their own second unit director who filmed it and then they just inserted the footage of Dan and Olga in that Forster shot afterwards.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think this is due to the high quality of car commercials. I just can't see how they'd have done it otherwise. I do know some car commercials, well a lot of them actually, try to be like films.
    The only thing they could've, and should've done differently is those stickers on Camille's car. Those make it look like it's the showroom model instead of an assistant's car.
    I do like the fact she later on arrivés in that worn-down beatle. I like the way that offsets the Ka sequence (and shows it to be a fine car as well ;-) )
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2016 Posts: 6,784
    Deleted.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

It doesn't help much that the Ford Ka is a disturbingly ugly car.
    I think this is due to the high quality of car commercials. I just can't see how they'd have done it otherwise. I do know some car commercials, well a lot of them actually, try to be like films.
    The only thing they could've, and should've done differently is those stickers on Camille's car. Those make it look like it's the showroom model instead of an assistant's car.
    I do like the fact she later on arrivés in that worn-down beatle. I like the way that offsets the Ka sequence (and shows it to be a fine car as well ;-) )

The beetle proves the point. She just rocks up in it and they drive off. They don't drive round random corners all set to some awful advertising jingle style music. But presumably VW didn't pay as much as Ford did?

They sure got their revenge in the next film though 'VWs, beetles - I think.' Shudder.

The beetle proves the point. She just rocks up in it and they drive off. They don't drive round random corners all set to some awful advertising jingle style music. But presumably VW didn't pay as much as Ford did?

They sure got their revenge in the next film though 'VWs, beetles - I think.' Shudder.

Well the whole 'getting the information from Bond/geologist' sequence makes it quite normal we see more of the car ride as well. Only shots from the inside would be quite boring. And of course the small chase. All of which we didn't get with the Beetle. Yes, we know it's product placement, but i think you're reading too much into this scene tbh. Not that I like the car, @jake24 is absolutely right on that one. Ugly little thing.

And I don't think VW would be happy with productplacement of a worn-down sixties beetle, tbh.
    Can we get another thesis going for the Count to counter in this post? Any suggestions guys?
  • Give me a break; some of us have got work to do, and then I'm playing overwatch. You played it?
    I saw it on livestream recently, but never played it. You should play in the quote conversation game though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Any new challenges?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    As the Count has now passed on, I think that about wraps this one up.