Challenge the Count

Comments

• Why in the world are you choosing to spam this thread?
  • Not at all dear fellow, just marking time until the Wizard chooses to make his return. BTW you still haven't answered the question: who is to be the judge, if the voices of the people en masse are to go unheard?
  • I guess a mod perhaps. Mod rule rather than Mob rule.
  • And have you contacted a mod to arrange this rule? Or are you simply making an assumption? You do know what happens when you assume, don't you? Good thing I'm not playing your little game...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Seems as though it's fallen to me then although I'll only be echoing some of what others have said above.

I'm not even going to dignify the comparison with the TND sequence with a response. Real stunts v sub PS2 CGI? F**k off.

The DAF moonbuggy chase is a better effort on your part. This is a dismally poor and, let's be honest, borderline embarassing scene. However all it is extremely naff and kitsch in a extremely naff and kitsch film. You can almost enjoy it as long as you go with the spirit of the film. And at least they did it for real.

The tsunami scene is an abomination on a number of levels but the biggest one is getting Bob Simmons, BJ Worth, Martin Grace, Remy Julienne, Rick Sylvester, Paul Weston, George Leech, Simon Crane, Gary Powell, Wayne Michaels, Dicky Graydon, Vic Armstrong together and then taking a massive slash all over them and the legacy of their fabulous work over 40 years. And far from being borderline embarassing, it is downright cringe inducing. Literally the only time as a Bond fan I have shrunk down in my seat hoping that no one could tell I was a Bond fan in case the whole cinema rose up and lynched me in response to the shite they were watching (well I say the only time. It had already happened about 30 mins earlier when Cleese unveiled the invisible car).

The fact that it's short is the other main pillar of your argument? Utterly irrelevant frankly. I can squeeze out a coil on your nice piece of pie in a few seconds. The fact it didn't take me very long hardly detracts from the fact that you now have a steaming turd in the middle of your pie does it?

As Cary Grant says in North By Northwest: 'Sorry old man. Too bad. Keep trying.'
    As Bond said to Paris in TND @Comte_de_Bleuchamp ...."you made your bed......."
  • SCORE: Wizard 1, Comte nada. For those of you who are keeping track.
  • I accept it is the worst example of action, but it can't be the worst scene when it's only 30 seconds and you can step out the room and miss it.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs what part of stop spamming did you not understand.

I will contact the anonymous mod and report back with their answer.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,024
    Anyone else thinking of (I think it was) Carry On Don't Lose Your Head, and that ongoing joke where they followed an insult about the main character by muttering "the Count".
  • I've participated in many conversations on this forum ere now & not been accused of anything underhanded yet. Enjoy your conversation with the mods, Dear Comte.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    This thread has become rather curious in nature.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I watch the Tsunami scene gladly for the rest of my life 10 times a day, if EON would reshoot the bloody most cringe-worthy scene of the franchise.

Get Bardem to shoot his death scene in SF again. But this time not some hilarious parody of a dying man with pain faces that would make Peter Sellers roll on the floor laughing.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 382
    I watch the Tsunami scene gladly for the rest of my life 10 times a day, if EON would reshoot the bloody most cringe-worthy scene of the franchise.

Get Bardem to shoot his death scene in SF again. But this time not some hilarious parody of a dying man with pain faces that would make Peter Sellers roll on the floor laughing.

Fancy being the Judge?
    Shure.

Fancy being the Judge?

Oh this is how it works is it? Other people chip in and you shut them down but out of the blue you appoint @BondJasonBond006 as judge? Well sorry I don't recognise his authority.

I propose @BeatlesSansEarmuffs!
    I accept it is the worst example of action, but it can't be the worst scene when it's only 30 seconds and you can step out the room and miss it.

I think we're pretty much done here. If all you've got to offer is agreeing that it's the worst but if you close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and shout 'La La La I can't hear you' then that makes it better than other longer sequences then we're wasting our time.

I declare this one: Count 0 - 1 The rest of us.

Anyone else want to throw in a hypothesis? If you enjoy shooting fish in a barrel then feel free to take up the gauntlet.
    Shelfish.
  • Thanks for the honorable mention, good Wizard, but I decline in favor of the sheriff with the proper Sean Connery pronunciation of "Shure."

For those of you unaware of the U.S. holiday schedule, today is the beginning of a holiday weekend & I'm off to the mountains above Santa Cruz CA for some camping. I've only been marking time while packing up & it's now time to hit the road. If this thread is still going when I get back I may have a proper challenge for Le Comte when I get back...assuming I'm allowed to play...
    Looks like it's down to you then @BondJasonBond006!

To paraphrase Michael Gambon in Layer Cake: 'You can award this contest to whoever you like. That's your privilege. But I'll be very, very unhappy if you don't award it to me.'
  • I actually propose that I win by default owing to the loutish and frankly trolling behaviour of Wizards fans. Not that that is the Wizards fault but the same thing happens to football teams.
    OK...fair enough,how about we all pull out (as the actress said to the bishop) and let Wizard do his bit and then this rebel Mod judge can decide...lets get the popcorn and the hot dogs...
    I actually propose that I win by default owing to the loutish and frankly trolling behaviour of Wizards fans. Not that that is the Wizards fault but the same thing happens to football teams.

Yeah it's a fair cop. Beatles chipping in has ruined your subtle and nuanced arguments and put you off your stride when you were just about to smash me out of the park.

I concede.
  • Right, thanks for doing the right thing. So that's 1 - 0 to me. Who's next?
  • Some people just don't recognize snark when it's all over their faces. Let's hear the Judge's ruling, shall we?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Some people just don't recognize snark when it's all over their faces. Let's hear the Judge's ruling, shall we?

You've ruined it for everyone mate! I thought I had him there for a second but he's got me bang to rights.

Love how he genuinely seems to think he's won though.

• Some people just don't recognize snark when it's all over their faces. Let's hear the Judge's ruling, shall we?

mate the thread been trolled out of existence and will be closed by the end of the day I predict. It was wishful thinking on my part that a grown up debate could be had.

You've ruined it for everyone mate!

Love how he genuinely thinks he's won though.

Well you lose a point there for not recognizing levity. Or do I need to incorporate some helpful smileys?
    Some people just don't recognize snark when it's all over their faces. Let's hear the Judge's ruling, shall we?

mate the thread been trolled out of existence and will be closed by the end of the day I predict. It was wishful thinking on my part that a grown up debate could be had.

No one has trolled this thread. People have just chipped in with the odd comment at how badly you are losing.

I'm happy to have a grown up debate but still waiting for you to offer an argument apart from 'it's not the worst scene because you can just nip out for 30 secs'.

That's not grown up debate - it's barely kindergarten debate.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Here's some help for you: :(( Or would you rather have this one? ~X( We aim to please!

(And honest, I AM out the door....now. Play nice 'til I get back!)
  • So you don't think the impact of a scene is affected by it's length?
    In this instance find it largely irrelevant. If something's shit it's shit.

The fact it's shit for 30 seconds or 3 minutes doesn't make a lot of difference. I suppose if it went on for two hours it might be pertinent.

But I think duration can at best only be used as a tie breaker in scenes of equal shitness. And you have yet to demonstrate a scene which sinks to a similar low as the one in question.