Challenge the Count

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    What I find totally depressing is that normally sequelitis ought to have set in by now and they should be looking at diminishing returns but here we are about 75 films into the Marvel universe and the box office shows no sign of dropping off.

Incredible, isn't it? Since 2013 Marvel have been releasing 2 films per year. None of them grossed below 500 million, and 3 of them crossed the billion mark. As you say, after 13 (!) films in 8 years, the box office should have diminished.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And yet I am off to see Dr Strange as soon as it opens.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    A couple of observations, and then my opinion on CGI as well:

I disagree with all of you who think Transformers wasn't worth it's salt. Talking about the first one here. The reason is that it did exactly what one would expect. For those growing up in the eighties - early nineties the Transformers were grotesque, moralistic cartoons which we all loved, for it fit the times. And no doubt in Asia they loved it for it's manga like action and storytelling. So sitting in the cinema I got all that I wanted: grotesque action, moralistic storytelling in a manga-like style. That's why it's a memorable film for me. The thing is though, it's the only film that should be like that.

DAD was indeed a huge succes when it came out, but it was very much a product of a time which was just ending. The real world became grittier at a fast pace and Bourne was it's cinematic reflection. There allready was some criticism on the way the film was made and on the fact that it took Bond beyond the boundaries of 'this-might-just-be-possible' in the same way Moonraker has done. The CGI, Madonna's cameo, the invisible car, the cringeworthy dialogue, it's all part of nineties filmmaking pushed further and further. Within a year people were questioning the story, the execution, and it's director who'd gone off his rocker and was arrested crossdressing and drunk.

The problem with CGI i think is that we see it, and then our subcontiousness tells us this means because it's CGI anything goes, so all tension is gone. We instinctively know that there's no real danger. Check out Shymalan's films like 'the village'. He never uses CGI, only props. The results are very, very scary. It is 'real perceived' danger.

Danger only exists when there's a way for the character to die/ get seriously wounded. One of the reasons BvS could never work is that the man of steel is indistructible. So Batman would never ever stand a chance. No matter how many buildings collapse. And as we also allready know he won't die either there can be no tension at all.

One aspect, by the way, which was interestingly taken up in Captain America Civil War. But is that film memorable? I'm not quite sure it is. Maybe because of the interaction between Iron Man and Captain America. The argument is interesting, but that's about it. And the fact that the film questions the immense destruction standard in these films.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 15,818
    I really haven't been missing out by skipping these Marvel sequels. DC, too after Man Of Steel I stopped going to movies because they were mostly dreck! I learned my lesson not to waste my money on a franchise that pisses all over well loved characters.Yet they are hugely popular. Until an entire new generation comes along that can appreciate the concept that sometimes the old ways are the best. I probably won't got to see another blockbuster in the cinema until BOND 25.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Now, all personal opinion aside. How can we explain the critical and box office successes of all this Avengers stuff?

The same reason cretins like Justin Bieber and the Kardashians exist - the general public are morons with no taste who will buy any old shite if you market it properly.

What I find totally depressing is that normally sequelitis ought to have set in by now and they should be looking at diminishing returns but here we are about 75 films into the Marvel universe and the box office shows no sign of dropping off.

Quite depressing to be honest.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Now, all personal opinion aside. How can we explain the critical and box office successes of all this Avengers stuff?

The same reason cretins like Justin Bieber and the Kardashians exist - the general public are morons with no taste who will buy any old shite if you market it properly.

Quite depressing to be honest.

Too true. It's sadly the world we live in as of now. :(
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I watched a film earlier this year called The Shallows, starring Blake Lively in a bikini, a seagull and a shark. That's about it. Yet I was engrossed for nearly 1.5 hrs. The film was tense, suspenseful and gripping. I had more fun watching it than most of these CGI filled blockbusters. However, it won't make anywhere near the same amount of moola, although it's probably far more profitable on a % basis.

Unfortunately it is true that there is an audience globally for this special effects driven nonsense, and it's growing. As long as the North American and European audience shrinks as a % of the total, Hollywood will come up with another language other than English in which to communicate with the masses. For now, that 'language' is cheesy special effects.

I agree that the 'gaming' populace is potentially to blame as much as the new foreign non-English speaking element. Sadly, the two go hand in hand imho.

Regarding CGI - if it serves as 'augmentation' and is done subtly, then I'm ok with it. When it's too obvious (and I'm quite discerning) then I can't stand it, and I agree that this is because I notice it right away and therefore am taken right out of the experience.

In the Craig era, my first notable experience with this was the fall from the church tower in QoS, followed by the plane disintegration (I remember thinking: haven't these clowns learnt anything from DAD?). Fortunately, I couldn't make out much of the action in this film anyway, and I was already so impressed by the opening Aston chase & the intensity of Craig's performance throughout that nothing else really mattered. Yes, I know that the CR Venice building collapse happened earlier, but for some reason that didn't bother me as much - perhaps because we didn't see people interspersed with the building. The worst offender by far in the Craig era has been that building collapse at the start of SP, a film which has far too much of this stuff in it - not so much in the action but more in the 'scene augmentation' which impacts the realism and the colours used.

One of the best uses of CGI that I can remember is T2. I have not seen that film in ages, and forgot to do so for the 25th anniversary. I look forward to watching it again to see if the CGI will take me out of the experience now. I recall being completely engrossed and in the moment whenever I watch that film.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 45,489
    The building collapse at the start of Spectre featured a real stunt and a model.
    The building collapse at the start of Spectre featured a real stunt.
    Shocking. Then it's all the more offensive for being filmed in a manner that looks incredibly like CGI to my eyes, including Craig's funny looking scramble to catch the ledge and of course the colour filters used, which are highly reminiscent of CGI filled Marvel outings. I was completely taken out of the experience by this scene.
    Personally I was taken out by the Craig mask during the SF pts.
    Personally I was taken out by the Craig mask during the SF pts.
    That too. I didn't mind it so much because everything else was spot on in the pretitles of that film, starting with the opening shot, to Ronson's death, to the shootout with Patrice and then the totally Bond moment of smashing the bike into the guardrail to lever onto the train. However, I agree that the mask and the Omega were gratuitous and unnecessary.
    Yes, did we really need that close-up? No.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The only CGI in recent years that made me think ''Now that's really cool!'' was in the Liam Neeson film 'Run All Night' (ironically, from the same director as 'The Shallows' that @bondjames mentioned) during the changes of location (the camera zooms to the sky, we see some sort of large map and the camera zooms down to the new area).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    bondjames wrote: »
    Shocking. Then it's all the more offensive for being filmed in a manner that looks incredibly like CGI to my eyes, including Craig's funny looking scramble to catch the ledge and of course the colour filters used, which are highly reminiscent of CGI filled Marvel outings. I was completely taken out of the experience by this scene.

Did we see the same version of the film??
    The collapsing building looks frighteningly real !
    How can you tell that's CGI? Only because it's obvious they couldn't do it for real.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The collapsing building was done for real. Obviously Craig wasn't there himself, but the whole sequence was very well done, IMO.
    We have come to this. If a stunt is terrific, people now assume it s just CGI. It was the same with the helicopter scene.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,422
    Despite knowing the helicopter stunt was real, it didn't quite seem real. Maybe thats to do with Mendes' shot selection/camera angles, or the filter?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    royale65 wrote: »
    Despite knowing the helicopter stunt was real, it din't quite seem real. Maybe thats to do with Mendes' shot selection/camera angles, or the filter?

More than that I thought it was a bit too long.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    royale65 wrote: »
    Despite knowing the helicopter stunt was real, it didn't quite seem real. Maybe thats to do with Mendes' shot selection/camera angles, or the filter?

I think it's the filter. I get the impression that's people's main gripe with the PTS of SPECTRE. For me it was very much real, I don't understand why it's mentioned so little. I found it exhillerating and very, very Bondian.

How can you tell that's CGI? Only because it's obvious they couldn't do it for real.
    For me, it has to do with the level of granularity in the shot and the colours. Normally in a CGI sequence, there is more grain and the colours blend in more (in a monotone fashion) with less contrast between specific colours.

As I mentioned, my first experience with this during the Craig years was the fall from the church tower in QoS. I realize that the fall may have been done for real, but the 'augmentation' gave the game away to me, as always. The same applies to the face mask in the SF pretitles.

With the SP building fall, there is a lot of grain, a monotone filter, and that is definitely not Craig running to catch the ledge (he doesn't run like that). This led me to conclude that it was a stuntman with Craig's head superimposed on him behind green screen.

If you watch any 'real' sequence, the colours are sharp, there is limited grain and everything has clarity - like the 'real' Guiness book explosion in SP.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020

For me, it has to do with the level of granularity in the shot and the colours. Normally in a CGI sequence, there is more grain and the colours blend in more (in a monotone fashion) with less contrast between specific colours.

As I mentioned, my first experience with this during the Craig years was the fall from the church tower in QoS. I realize that the fall may have been done for real, but the 'augmentation' gave the game away to me, as always. The same applies to the face mask in the SF pretitles.

With the SP building fall, there is a lot of grain, a monotone filter, and that is definitely not Craig running to catch the ledge (he doesn't run like that). This led me to conclude that it was a stuntman with Craig's head superimposed on him behind green screen.

If you watch any 'real' sequence, the colours are sharp, there is limited grain and everything has clarity - like the 'real' Guiness book explosion in SP.

Ok, now I understand better what you mean. In that case it's more a question of visual style.
    I didn't like the colour filters too much, but to be honest, I have grown accustomed to them in all those movies that used them in the past, not that I would support that.

Personally I find John Glen was the best Bond director.
    You always know what's going on, wide camera angels, no hasty editing, colourful, well lit scenes etc.
    If anything I would put Martin Campbell on the same level.

Those 7 movies are the best of the series direction wise. Closely followed by some others of course.

The only direction work I didn't like was TWINE which is truly the worst and SF in which Mendes obviously didn't know yet how to properly direct action (only saved by Deakins really who wrapped a shabby directional job into nice glossy paper).
    Also I absolutely despise the boring direction of TB and the idiotic sped up sequences which more or less ruin the finale.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 12,837
    I thought the building collapse was a bit much, but the helicopter fight was terrific imo. While Glen definitely had a great eye for action, for me the best director of the series is Hunt. OHMSS is paced and put together brilliantly and it's just so good visually. Stunning cinematography and shot with so much style and flair, and the action sequences were really well done (I even found some of the sped up camera work enjoyable), you can tell what's going on but at the same time there's a real energy to them, and the fight coreography is great (plus the ski chase, enough said).

@bondjames The Shallows was great wasn't it? The cinema was pretty dead when me and my wife went to see it which I thought was a shame because it was really well done. I think the best film I've seen in the cinema this year though was Conjuring 2 (actually while the blockbuster output this year has been terrible it seems like a great year for horror, haven't seen them yet but Don't Breathe and Lights Out are meant to be really good and while I actually wasn't much of a fan of the original Blair Witch Project, the praise for the sequel and the directors behind it give me faith that it'll be worth the trip to the cinema, would have been cool if they'd kept it secret until release though). Actually do we have a best of 2016 thread yet? I mean we are past the halfway point now so we may as well start one if not.
    @thelivingroylale

yes, I should have mentioned Hunt and OHMSS. Because that one is perfect as well.
    I just can't rank Hunt with only one movie, as I can't rank Lazenby with only one movie.

So I have to correct myself and say Campbell's, Glen's and Hunt's films are the 8 best directed Bond movies.
    @thelivingroyale, yes The Shallows was a great little film. I loved the 'real feel' of the whole thing and the bright colours, great cinematography and general sunny ambience.

I've seen Don't Breathe and recommend it. Tense with excellent performances by Stephen Lang and Jane Levy.

I wanted to see The Conjuring 2 and have heard good things, but unfortunately have not seen the first one yet, so will wait for a double bill on blu ray (I'm a big Vera fan btw).

Speaking of Horror/thrillers, I've heard that 10 Cloverfield Lane was good too (I've yet to see that as well).
    I wonder if we'll ever get a Bond film in the near future that doesn't look like it was shot through yellow filters or on a digital camera? I'd love to see a Bond film that evokes Ted Moore's beautiful cinematography from DR NO and the earlier films. TB, when seen with a clean print on the big screen is stunning. Same with FRWL and GF.
    TWINE, as seen on the big screen looked a bit like an old television where the settings were muted and the colors a bit off. SP, not so bad, but certainly not lavish.
  • I hope so for sure.
    @ToTheRight, QoS evokes that old school flavour in many scenes (at least in terms of rich colours) but the film moves so fast that one doesn't have an opportunity to really feel the locations in the same way.

I agree especially on TB. I always feel like I'm on a vacation when I watch that film.
    @ToTheRight, QoS evokes that old school flavour in many scenes (at least in terms of rich colours) but the film moves so fast that one doesn't have an opportunity to really feel the locations in the same way.

I agree especially on TB. I always feel like I'm on a vacation when I watch that film.

Yes, it does- especially the dessert scenes. CR has a beautiful color palate as well. One of my favorite shots is Craig coming off the plane in the Bahamas then the cut to him driving. That is a pure classic DN/TB look.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Yes, it does- especially the dessert scenes. CR has a beautiful color palate as well. One of my favorite shots is Craig coming off the plane in the Bahamas then the cut to him driving. That is a pure classic DN/TB look.
    I agree. That scene is pure class and Arnold delivers with the score as well. Craig doesn't look too shabby either.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I agree. That scene is pure class and Arnold delivers with the score as well. Craig doesn't look too shabby either.
    I think that's the only scene in the film that I dislike. Not because of the visuals or the score, but because the product placement is so blatant that it seems like I'm watching a Ford commercial, especially that the logo appears right when the You Know My Name motif kicks in.