Challenge the Count

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    So... away from the rampant trolling, we have the count: 1 , the ROTF: 0 after a disastrous display of trolling and even an attempt to hijack the thread by corrupt mod Benny.

Any want to try and beat me rather than spamming let me know. Otherwise you're welcomed by Benny (the corrupt mod) to pollute this thread with whatever nonsense you wish. I am quite glad to have created a thread with so much interest.

For those of you new to this, this is how this thread works:

1. Someone comes up with a hypothesis.
    2. The Count offers practically zero argument to refute it.
    3. If someone else other than the original poster of the hypothesis dares to make a comment the Count calls it trolling and declares he wins by default.
    4. Repeat.

Also if this, potentially interesting but at present risible, thread is to have legs then people need to realise that its not just a place to list all the things they think are shit in Bond films.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The returning appearance of the man with the superfluous nipple by any chance ?.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    TMWTGG is an awful film with the possibly best villain of the franchise saving it.
    This thread is a spectacularly good idea with the possibly worst villain of this forum ruining it.
  • TMWTGG is an awful film with the possibly best villain of the franchise saving it.
    This thread is a spectacularly good idea with the possibly worst villain of this forum ruining it.

Look who created this thread you muppet
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited September 2016 Posts: 7,969
    TMWTGG is an awful film with the possibly best villain of the franchise saving it.

Look who created this thread you muppet

Does that mean you're also running it? Or are you here to be taken for a ride?

And for the record, afak @Jason is indeed a muppet, Animal he is...

Someone could just open another thread called "argue against this Bond hypothesis". Then it would be open for anyone to put forward a reasoned idea for sensible (or humorous) challenge.
    vzok wrote: »

Someone could just open another thread called "argue against this Bond hypothesis". Then it would be open for anyone to put forward a reasoned idea for sensible (or humorous) challenge.

That's not a bad idea.

The problem this thread has at the moment is the same as the Labour Party has; it is being run by a bloke who hasn't got a clue what he's doing and is a laughing stock.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 382
    vzok wrote: »

That's not a bad idea.

The problem this thread has at the moment is the same as the Labour Party has; it is being run by a bloke who hasn't got a clue what he's doing and is a laughing stock.

Where's my momentum group?

Also, you seem to be missing the fact that I created it.
    TWOI Has it spot on if you ask me .
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @TheWizardOfIce made a perfectly reasonable almost scientific analysis of how this thread (doesn't) work.
  • It works if there isn't a massive spam attack from one side's supporters. Anyway, do whatever the hell you want with it. I've got work to do.
    Could we perhaps lock this one away then?.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    @Comte_de_Bleuchamp whats up ? are All these members who think you are a plonker,as i do,not purists either ?....you came in all guns blazing and set yourself up as the target...you can only push people so far ...you have brought this on yourself.
  • Brought what on myself? A thread with over a 100 comments. Not too shabby I think.
    I'm sorry I touched a nerve with the whole purists thing Barry. I thought we could move on but alas your ego prevents you.
    hahaha you havent touched a nerve...you tickled it,chap....
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    oh and yes 100 comments but most of them slagging you and this thread off...anyway im ok with a truce so lets leave it at that.I hope this thread works out for you.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Anyone else alright with locking this thread?
    If not, can we re-name it...
    "I win."
    We win might be better Benny :D
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    How's about 'I'm invincible!'

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Last rat standing?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Comte_de_Bleuchamp is Scaramanga12 post gene therapy.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Comte_de_Bleuchamp is Scaramanga12 post gene therapy.

You may have found the one hypothesis that cannot be refuted without bending the laws of physics or making the universe implode...or this thread closed forever and a day.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    It works if there isn't a massive spam attack from one side's supporters. Anyway, do whatever the hell you want with it. I've got work to do.

You created an interesting thread but whilst you can talk the talk you can't walk the walk. You can't even crawl it. You need pushing in a wheelchair to do the walk in fact.

I gave you a hypothesis and you didn't even come close to arguing the opposite.

I assumed that the point of the thread was to have some amusing arguments but it just seems to be so that you can say 'F**k you everyone I won. Did you see? Me, the Count, I beat you all'.

I think locking this seems the only sensible course of action but it has potential as an interesting thread if it's overseen by a mod and not used as some sort of ego massaging vehicle for a moron.
    AVTAK's fire truck chase is the closest one that I can come up with for a scene that is nearly (but not quite) as horrid on many levels.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    So... away from the rampant trolling, we have the count: 1 , the ROTF: 0 after a disastrous display of trolling and even an attempt to hijack the thread by corrupt mod Benny.

Any want to try and beat me rather than spamming let me know. Otherwise you're welcomed by Benny (the corrupt mod) to pollute this thread with whatever nonsense you wish. I am quite glad to have created a thread with so much interest.

This post says it all, frankly.

@Comte_de_Bleuchamp, the way you started and ran this thread, you were asking for a good trouncing. Your distinct discomfort and disgust for being told you are wrong shines through, when, in comparison, any rational and impartial debater would realized humbly when they've been had. If this thread was a space for reasoned and unbiased debate, I must say your train got off on the wrong station, mister.

I'm sure you would twist and turn, whine and moan all day long to try and annul the judgement of anyone you appointed to be a judge here if their ruling didn't favor you. Or maybe you'd just do as you already have done: ignore everyone and bestow yourself with the victory out of the ether.

What you so often fail to realize is that you're playing a game with much cleverer people who can be more cunning and strategic with their speech and creation of arguments than you were prepared for. You're a newbie here (though we all think otherwise), but us MI6C vets spent our early years on this forum hearing horror stories of mythic proportions about @TheWizardOfIce. We learned of his uncompromising drive, his bloodthirsty knack for victory in debate, and worse yet, his clarity of sanity that he retained even in his monolithic, monstrous form. His name was what the mods and our own parents used against us whenever we misbehaved, and every night before we went to bed, mom and dad would look at us and whisper, "Wiz is under your bed. Be good, now."

Despite the Wiz's prowess for this, I am the rest of the vets could also pummel you into the cement through debate, even though some of us dare to be Craig-loving anti-purists. In the future, I would suggest against opening yourself up to such debate debacles as this one again, as this flub has demoted your rank of Count to that of Esquire, and before long you threaten to boot yourself out of the ranks of nobility altogether until you're stuck eating crusted over cockroaches as your Sunday dinner outside the palace walls with the rest of the peasants.
    bondjames wrote: »
    AVTAK's fire truck chase is the closest one that I can come up with for a scene that is nearly (but not quite) as horrid on many levels.

That is extremely dire to be sure. A poor man's JW Pepper comedy chase.

But I think there is at least some solid stunt work when Bond is hanging on the ladder which is something that cannot be levelled at DAD.

If I was going to defend the DAD scene I would have said that as a concept it is close to being on a par with the ski jump in TSWLM in epicness and spectacle.

If they could have figured out a way to film it for real then we could have been talking legendary status. But once it is clear that the only way of doing it is with CGI then you really have to just say 'Well then it's not suitable for Bond. Let's think again.'

Also one thing that has just struck me is, given its the 40th and they were packing in all the cheesy references and given that we'd already seen Graves with a union flag parachute why the hell wasn't the parachute in the back of the ice dragster a union flag as well?

Wouldn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things but it would have made a shocking sequence about 1.3% less shit.
    This post may go under in the lot but @Benny maybe we should give the Comte another chance?

Let him do another hypothesis and then only allow posts with refutals of the hypothesis. In the end you decide if someone has successfully refuted or not.

If the Comte wins he can do another hypothesis, if not, the one that you declared a winner shall post a new hypothesis.

That is extremely dire to be sure. A poor man's JW Pepper comedy chase.

But I think there is at least some solid stunt work when Bond is hanging on the ladder which is something that cannot be levelled at DAD.

If I was going to defend the DAD scene I would have said that as a concept it is close to being on a par with the ski jump in TSWLM in epicness and spectacle.

If they could have figured out a way to film it for real then we could have been talking legendary status. But once it is clear that the only way of doing it is with CGI then you really have to just say 'Well then it's not suitable for Bond. Let's think again.'

Also one thing that has just struck me is, given its the 40th and they were packing in all the cheesy references and given that we'd already seen Graves with a union flag parachute why the hell wasn't the parachute in the back of the ice dragster a union flag as well?

Wouldn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things but it would have made a shocking sequence about 1.3% less shit.
    All very true, and the DAD scene is made much worse by the horrendous CGI efforts while the glider is hanging off the ledge as well. So it's not just the infamous (and totally sh!^) scene in itself, but also what precedes it which gives this one the win.
    Good one. As far as Bond set piece action scenes go, it certainly is lower in my rankings so to speak. But IMO it does have some goodness in it. For one, Roger is pretty funny dangling like that and kicking the hat off of the Gogol look alike. "Put your hand on this....NO THE WHEEL!" is classic Roger as well. The draw bridge schtick, however is milked for more than it's worth. As far as Roger action comedy scenes go it works in a way only Roger can make it work.
    The Moon buggy chase in DAF has......well Sean kicking the guy off the bike. That shot alone makes me at least kind of like that scene as lame as it it.
    Even unintentionally funny Bond action scenes I like better than the CGI Tsumani. For instance, the Bond/ Domino horse escape in NSNA, with it's groundbreakingly horrendous music, I actually like more. Sean's delivery of "HOLD ON. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD" is so funny it makes me like the scene.
  • I don't think we should lock an interesting thread. Imo, the best way to carry on would be this

Wizard (as he won the last round by way of popular vote) proposes a new debate. Guess the easiest way to judge who gets a go is the first person to reply? Or maybe we could all chip in and a winning argument could be decided on? But anyway, Wizard can then retort if he wants and once it's clear that both sides have made their point, we vote as a community on who's won. If Wizard wins he proposes a new one, if someone else is voted as the winner then they get to start a new one and we go from there. Sound good?

No offense @Count as it was your idea but I think voting as a community is the fairest way to go about it, and I think restricting it to just you vs whoever could get a bit dull after a while, I think it'd be more interesting if we made it a more general thread so different members end up challenging eachother. And even if we do the judging your way, Benny is a mod (not sure why you've decided his opinion doesn't count) and he's said he thinks Wizard won anyway, as I think we all do (to be fair though I think it's pretty much an impossible statement to counter so I wouldn't feel bad about losing this one).

I do think we should maybe try and steer things towards more debatable statements though just to spice things up (for instance if we carry on with ones about how shit DAD is, or do ones about how good FRWL or OHMSS is, we'll never get any interesting arguments out of it and the vote will be unanimous every time, I'm not saying it should have to be a controversial opinion but at the same time it shouldn't be a universal one imo).