Challenge the Count

I will take the contrary view to any thesis that is proposed by someone regarding the films. We will argue about it & when it has run it's course we can get a mod or someone to judge who has won based on the quality of the arguments.
«134567

Comments

  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    Sounds like it could be a bit of fun.

    Here's your first thesis to counter then:

    'The CGI tsunami para-surfing sequence is the worst action scene in the series.'

    Bearing in mind the contrary position to 'worst' is 'best' I wish you all the err best.
  • Posts: 19,339
    Go Wizard !!!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,584
    I really want to see how this ends.
  • Posts: 19,339
    I'm getting a 'real Bond fan' vs a 'shit stirrer' vibe....only one winner in this...first intial is W ,has IZAR in the middle ,and a D on the end...
  • Sounds like it could be a bit of fun.

    Here's your first thesis to counter then:

    'The CGI tsunami para-surfing sequence is the worst action scene in the series.'

    Bearing in mind the contrary position to 'worst' is 'best' I wish you all the err best.

    Challenge accepted, although I disagree with your logic. The contrary to worst is 'not the worst', so I only have to find an action sequence which is worse to counter your thesis.

    What constitutes an action scene for the parameters of this argument? For example can it be just a fight?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Sounds like it could be a bit of fun.

    Here's your first thesis to counter then:

    'The CGI tsunami para-surfing sequence is the worst action scene in the series.'

    Bearing in mind the contrary position to 'worst' is 'best' I wish you all the err best.

    Challenge accepted, although I disagree with your logic. The contrary to worst is 'not the worst', so I only have to find an action sequence which is worse to counter your thesis.

    You can disagree all you like but the statement does not employ any logic, merely English thus:

    contrary
    ˈkɒntrəri
    adjective
    Opposite in nature, direction, or meaning.

    antonym
    ˈantənɪm
    noun
    A word opposite in meaning to another.

    best
    bɛst
    adjective

    Of the most excellent or desirable type or quality.
    "the best midfielder in the country"
    antonyms: worst

    So lets stop with the semantic wriggling - we all know what was meant. Nonetheless I am happy to say that you only need to prove a worse sequence to be victorious.
    What constitutes an action scene for the parameters of this argument? For example can it be just a fight?

    This is much trickier to pin down as turning on a light switch could be classed as an 'action'.

    A fight is perfectly acceptable. However something which is more a fleeting moment (eg Bond punching the guy who asks for a fag in the TND PTS) I wouldnt really be prepared to count. Maybe a scene that contains sustained action (action for the purposes of this argument being characters in conflict, jeopardy or extreme psychical activity) for 20 seconds or longer?

    But I'm happy to discuss this further to tighten it up before you start on your hopeless task.
  • Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote: »
    im too old and too many bevvies and scars in life to involve myself in this ,the wizard will be my vessel and destroyer....

  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,317
    The Wizard always rises to the challenge.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Posts: 2,243
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    The Wizard always rises to the challenge.

    Point taken
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,317
    w2bond wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    The Wizard always rises to the challenge.

    Point taken

    I'm glad.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Posts: 9,020
    In terms of special effects I can name three worse special effects than the tsunami CGI easily. But Mr C. has to do find one of course.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Posts: 2,243
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    The Wizard always rises to the challenge.

    Point taken

    I'm glad.

    Heh sorry that was my subtle James Bond quote conversation

  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,317
    w2bond wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    The Wizard always rises to the challenge.

    Point taken

    I'm glad.

    Heh sorry that was my subtle James Bond quote conversation

    Oh, I see. :)
  • Ok I rewatched the DAD scene and there is no denying it is god awful. Who knew that certain directors today would still be using similarly appalling CGI such as in the Hobbit.

    However the one saving grace is that it only lasts 30 seconds & I think this prevents it from being the worst. You could for example go and get a drink or take a leak & by the time you get back the tsunami horror would be over.

    But for example The TND 'Bond playing on his DS' car chase last almost 4 minutes & is one of the centrepieces of the whole film. If you need me to list all that is wrong with this sequence then by all means ask but imo it's absolutely terrible. The awful DAF moon buggy chase also lasts for minutes. Two of those minutes are waiting for Sean to finally knock the chap off his quad bike.

    So those 30 seconds of video game Bond may be the worst example of action but it is not the worst action scene because it only last for 30 seconds whereas other appalling action scenes were actually though to be worthy enough to take up several minutes of the film. They cannot be avoided by a judiciously timed toilet break.

  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 38,233
    @Comte_de_Bleuchamp, if you truly hate Bond "gaming" in the backseat in that TND scene, then you'll really hate a particular sequence in NSNA, if you haven't seen it.
  • I challenge the Comte's sense of taste. Quite a few people like the TND car chase, myself included. If this is one of your candidates for "worst action scenes" then I think you need to think again.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339

    But for example The TND 'Bond playing on his DS' car chase last almost 4 minutes & is one of the centrepieces of the whole film. If you need me to list all that is wrong with this sequence then by all means ask but imo it's absolutely terrible.
    Really ?...that is a seriously great scene that works totally well in TND,and a great score to go with it,you cant put that in the same context as the CGI DAD scene,come on....ok,list all that is wrong with it,and where the CGI DAD gains on it...

  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Comte_de_Bleuchamp, if you truly hate Bond "gaming" in the backseat in that TND scene, then you'll really hate a particular sequence in NSNA, if you haven't seen it.

    Watched it last night coincidentally! I don't mind that bit except it's a bit naff.
  • I'm going up against the Wizard Barry.
  • Posts: 19,339
    Fine...you do that...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 38,233
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Comte_de_Bleuchamp, if you truly hate Bond "gaming" in the backseat in that TND scene, then you'll really hate a particular sequence in NSNA, if you haven't seen it.

    Watched it last night coincidentally! I don't mind that bit except it's a bit naff.

    Kudos to you, but it's probably my least favorite scene in the movie - nothing takes away from how cool Bond is than frequenting a video gaming "club," of all places.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,317
    I am the Count Konrad von Gloda. It's nice to meet you.
  • And the rest of us qualify as the judges. You get an incomplete at best. The TND car sequence is disallowed, is DAF your only response then?
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    You cant ask that..@BeatlesSansEarmuffs ....he is only answering the Wizard apparantly..
  • No, there will be one judge. I don't mind a few comments from others but this is derailing the thread. No more please.
  • And who is the judge then? "Who is Number One?" "You...are..." Number 6?
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    The mods will not take any side and judge this,if it ever takes off...which mod have you contacted who is willing to choose for or against a members opinion ?
    The whole point of being a 'moderator' is 'moderation'...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,651
    And who is the judge then? "Who is Number One?" "You...are..." Number 6?

    A duplicate account, quite possibly.
  • Six of one, perhaps a dozen of another?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,651
    Six of one, perhaps a dozen of another?
    Any number wouldn't matter, as long as they all agreed with the desired opinion.
Sign In or Register to comment.