MI6 Community Statistics: Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Current Results
    When do you guess the next Bond film will premiere?
    Screenshot%202017-01-03%20at%208.53.11%20PM_zpsv9fphqsi.png

Vote http://www.poll-maker.com/poll938294x19fb4B72-39

Results http://www.poll-maker.com/results938294x48433736-39

edited January 2017 Posts: 3,000
    Current Results
    Screenshot%202017-01-06%20at%201.30.07%20AM_zpsispj2qqx.png

Send these results to EON when the poll closes!!! ;)
    jake24 wrote: »
    So, 44% of us are optimistic, 41% of us are realistic, and 15% of us are pessimistic.

I'm kind of surprised that 2018 got so many votes. I thought 2019 would be the leader far and away.
    I only voted 2018, because there's no good reason why they shouldn't be able to turn around a new movie in 3 years.
    I think many of us might simply be guilting them into getting a move on, while it's still possible.
    Truth is, the franchise as we know it may be dead.
    Bond may have degenerated into a series of well spaced out event releases.
    Eg "Jolly good. We'll have to make another one of these some day"
    Five years later: "maybe it's time we made another Bond movie. Now let's see, what shall this one be about........"
    I fear that this may be the future, if it isn't here already.

timmer wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    So, 44% of us are optimistic, 41% of us are realistic, and 15% of us are pessimistic.

I'm kind of surprised that 2018 got so many votes. I thought 2019 would be the leader far and away.
    I only voted 2018, because there's no good reason why they shouldn't be able to turn around a new movie in 3 years.
    I think many of us might simply be guilting them into getting a move on, while it's still possible.
    Truth is, the franchise as we know it may be dead.
    Bond may have degenerated into a series of well spaced out event releases.

Eg "Jolly good. We'll have to make another one of these some day"
    Five years later: "maybe it's time we made another Bond movie. Now let's see, what shall this one be about........"
    I fear that this may be the future, if it isn't here already.

@timmer I hope that's not the case. If Bond films came out every 5 years or so, it would likely be hard to get an actor to do more than one film as Bond, best case only two, which would make continuing the series difficult. The public would have to accept a new Bond with almost every movie, and I'm not sure they would be ok with a change in lead actor that often.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Craig era has already set unlucky precedences.
    There has never been a four year gap between two films with the same actor (DAF doesn't count imo, that's something different).

So QOS to SF set a precedence that, sadly, probably made BB believe she can have four year gaps and still produce a hit with the same actor. The stupid wait for Mendes provided another three year gap that was totally unnecessary. No matter how great SP is, I wish it wouldn't have happened that way.

I'm with @timmer actually. I think we stand at a crossroads and BB doesn't seem to get it anymore what is important.
    Out of control budgets, no cost expenditure control whatsoever and each film that comes out has to make at least some 750 million just to break even. That's simply not how a business should be run.

I don't expect to see another dozen Bond films in my lifetime. In 30 years we may have another 8 at most.
    I even fear BB could be selfish enough (and even more stubborn) as she gets older to let Bond just die and not sell it, like Lucas sold Star Wars.

In a way I think the only thing that can save Bond in the long run is that it gets sold to a big company that will make a long term plan like Disney, Marvel etc.

Bond could become the next big thing like The Avengers, Harry Potter, Twilight.
    With a new actor they could plan three films ahead with another two on reserve in case it works out.
    EON obviously can't or won't, so please someone else take over.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    It should be London and always be London.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Disney has offices in London.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Selling Bond to Disney might not be a bad idea then, for the reasons @jasonbond suggests.

I think Babs is presently waiting on Craig, quite possibly Mendes too, for one big final Craig-era send-off to conclude where SP left off.
    After that, I doubt she has any idea where she wants to go. She may feel done with it.
    A big studio takeover may be for the best.
    I would like to see a return to '60s style Bond films in a contemporary context.
    Cast young. Imbue the new guy with a Connery-Lazenby sensibility and away we go.
    Fresh exciting adventures with JB Theme blaring.
    New movie every 2 years.
    Blofeld and Spectre always in play. Either both front and centre, or a Dr No, Largo, Klebb, Le Chiffre, Greene, Silva type directing the mayhem with Ernst only in background, or Spectre set aside entirely on occasion a la '60s GF interlude.
    The final Craig film I figure will be another 4 year gap, 2019.
    Then Disney or whoever, can deliver the new era debut in 2021.

The 2020's can launch the great new era of Bond!
    Can't wait!
    Ill wait for a final film with Craig. i think after that we deserve a new era that delivers quality films on a two year basis that are a bit larger than life while still retaining quality. EON are too slow on their own, they need a bit of a push & new creative blood. Other franchises are able to do quality & box office gold on a consistent basis, id like to see an era where Bond can successfully capture this.
    Current Results
    Screenshot%202017-01-02%20at%207.35.40%20PM_zpsodgyd8xn.png

There's a difference in asking:

"When do you hope/wish the next, 25th Bond film will premiere?"

And:

"When do you think/predict the next, 25th Bond film will premiere?"

;-)

Apparently, a lot of MI6-forummembers didn't see that distinction clearly. Because I highly doubt 007 will return in 2018.
    The distinction is quite apparent.
    People don't miss it.
    The truth is people routinely answer polls in furtherance of their own agenda.
    Honorable Mi6 forum members I suspect are no different.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Ill wait for a final film with Craig. i think after that we deserve a new era that delivers quality films on a two year basis that are a bit larger than life while still retaining quality. EON are too slow on their own, they need a bit of a push & new creative blood. Other franchises are able to do quality & box office gold on a consistent basis, id like to see an era where Bond can successfully capture this.
    Yes. Of course it can be done.
    Babs is no longer the one to do it.
    Her legacy is secure.

It only makes sense I think at this point to make a Craig-Mendes Part 3 to conclude the Craig era
    What the hell, go for it. There doesn't appear to be anything else on the table.
    Babs, Craig and Sam are thick as thieves.
    They are a team. May as well keep the happy trio together for one last fling.
    See what they come up with.
    Then Babs might do the honorable thing and pass the baton!
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 15,842
    There has never been a four year gap between two films with the same actor (DAF doesn't count imo, that's something different).

So QOS to SF set a precedence that, sadly, probably made BB believe she can have four year gaps and still produce a hit with the same actor. The stupid wait for Mendes provided another three year gap that was totally unnecessary. No matter how great SP is, I wish it wouldn't have happened that way.

I'm with @timmer actually. I think we stand at a crossroads and BB doesn't seem to get it anymore what is important.
    Out of control budgets, no cost expenditure control whatsoever and each film that comes out has to make at least some 750 million just to break even. That's simply not how a business should be run.

I don't expect to see another dozen Bond films in my lifetime. In 30 years we may have another 8 at most.
    I even fear BB could be selfish enough (and even more stubborn) as she gets older to let Bond just die and not sell it, like Lucas sold Star Wars.

In a way I think the only thing that can save Bond in the long run is that it gets sold to a big company that will make a long term plan like Disney, Marvel etc.

With a new actor they could plan three films ahead with another two on reserve in case it works out.

I agree, and that's partly why I'm feeling if we don't get another Bond this decade, then the final film in the Eon series could well be the only Bond produced in the 2020's. It only takes one misguided film to flop and kill a franchise.
    The drawback to selling to another company is the chances increase that some idiot producer may cave in and really want to PC Bond by making him female, etc etc.
    There are so many fools out there that really seem to think Bond must "change" to fit the times. GE proved otherwise as did CR.
    On the optimistic side to that is someone could come along and do straight 1950's cold war adaptations of the books. There's probably room for variety. Look how many things have been done with Sherlock Holmes and Dracula.
    I'd prefer Eon to keep Bond in the family, but get it together enough to continue as a series rather than an occasional event.
    I had felt in the Brosnan era, the extra year for DAD was just a one off and things would return to normal the following film. Then four years later we got CR, and with QoS two years later, it felt we were back to normal. Now it's normal to expect four years with three only when lucky.
    I wrote what I thought and not hoped like the thread title asked, if filming starts early 2018 it's feasible a late 2018 release could happen.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I agree, and that's partly why I'm feeling if we don't get another Bond this decade, then the final film in the Eon series could well be the only Bond produced in the 2020's. It only takes one misguided film to flop and kill a franchise.
    The drawback to selling to another company is the chances increase that some idiot producer may cave in and really want to PC Bond by making him female, etc etc.
    There are so many fools out there that really seem to think Bond must "change" to fit the times. GE proved otherwise as did CR.
    On the optimistic side to that is someone could come along and do straight 1950's cold war adaptations of the books. There's probably room for variety. Look how many things have been done with Sherlock Holmes and Dracula.
    I'd prefer Eon to keep Bond in the family, but get it together enough to continue as a series rather than an occasional event.
    I had felt in the Brosnan era, the extra year for DAD was just a one off and things would return to normal the following film. Then four years later we got CR, and with QoS two years later, it felt we were back to normal. Now it's normal to expect four years with three only when lucky.
    Yes @totheright, some variety might be good
    Eon would have to spread the production around a bit, rather than limit to cinema blockbusters only

I would suggest for starters.
    1. A relaunch of '60s inspired contemporary action thrillers as I described above. New film every two years.

2. HBO style mini-series dramatization of the Fleming novels.

3. This one is a big if. But on occasion allow an alternative big screen Bond take, based on merit of project. ie if Tarantino or whoever wants to do something a little off reservation, outside the regular series, then maybe give him a go., if the project seems worthy.
    A stretched out dramatic cinema rendition of A Quantumofsolace or The Hildebrand Rarity might make for great cinema, with suitable director and crew. Neither are action stories, but both are of Bond and rife with dramatic tension.
    They would be outside the regular series and if done well, could be real good.
    Maybe even flesh out Fleming's 007 In New York, into a full dramatic telling. The scrambled eggs bit could be epic.
    To my mind, SF itself was an alternative type Bond film. So was NSNA, so the trail has been somewhat pre-blazed.

Current Results
    Screenshot%202017-01-08%20at%2011.12.47%20PM_zps3yrkrrxk.png

btw, I take back my earlier observation.
    I do think these results are honest appraisals of the release scenarios.
    People often do vote strategically in polls, but I don't think that's the case here.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    54% percent of people believe we have a long wait ahead of us. 2018 looking really unlikely now. It would be only around 18 months from now that principle photography would be wrapped.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Those of you who clog up the Bond 25 Production Thread with talk about 2018/2019/2020 page up and page down for month after month:

You can post here instead.

At this time I have other movies to keep me occupied. Like yearly Star Wars movie.

Have lost a bit faith in Babs and co.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm voting 2020.

Just a feeling.
    Premiere? Wow!!! I would just be happy with some official news! Lol!
    Well, we may still have a long way to go on this journey, but as long as Bond 25 delivers, it'll be worth the wait I'm sure. The uncertainty definitely gives this film a mystique that few of the other have had, like a fabled legend or prophicy yet to be fulfilled. I suppose GoldenEye must have felt much the same. I'm really just hoping that, if we are in for a new actor, that the freshness returns as well. Every actors first attempt have all been great films so far, and each carries with it that liveliness of going back to the drawing board, as if anything can happen. Then of course the actor gets settled into a rhythm and things cement into place. But I cannot wait for the truly unknown to return.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm still saying 2019. I wouldn't mind being surprised with a 2018 installment, but the former seems more realistic for now. I just need more Bond, preferably one I'll enjoy.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,127
    We're 18 months on from the release of SPECTRE, and news actually appears to be becoming less frequent and less credible the further along we go. It's nearly June now, so if they still want to hit a 2018 release date, were already at the half way point.

Another thing to mention is that, with STAR WARS 9 vacating that spot in December 2019, that might play a role in the decision making, as there's a nice juicy spot there now where a Bond film would fit nicely.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Yeah I'm thinking 2019 50 years after ohmss debuted https://www.poll-maker.com/results938294x19fb4B72-39#tab-2
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,126
    December 2019 would be a good spot dominate the holiday box office with Craig's epic swan song.
    December 2019 would also be exactly 50 years after ohmss debuted December 1969 and bond 25 is going down the same path as ohmss so it makes total sense.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    December 2019 would be a good spot dominate the holiday box office with Craig's epic swan song

I don't think they would wait that long for Craig, personally.
    if its in play now theyll give CRaig his grand finale in 2019.
    From what I'm seeing, it looks like 2019 is the consensus.