Skyfall: PPK or P99?

Comments

Modern Bond film = P99 &/or PPK (PPS welcome). 50th Anniversary = PPK. End of discussion.
    If you want the modern version of the PPK look no farther than the:

Five-seven USG

Nice one that. But it´s even bigger than the Glock 17. If he carries such a huge pistol anyway then it should as well have a bigger caliber. The smaller calibers only make sense if the gun is easy to hide underneath the clothes. For a secret agent that is.

• edited November 2011 Posts: 289
    well its 5.7 X 28mm hits fast with very good penetration... its used by a good number of sf/secret service agencies, 8.2 inches in overall length vs almost 7 inches of the ppk but its a very light piece, the ppk and 5-7 weight roughly the same weight.

if you want something smaller.... http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_7.html

3.8" .40S&W COMPACT from Springfield :)

if you want power and to bring back the LALD revolver go for... 500S&W mag, .460S&W mag, .480Ruger, .454Casull, .475 and .500 Linebaugh.
    That M gun looks beautiful, but I think I would just go for the simple baby Glock http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm .

And, yeah, it would be cool if Bond was chased by a truck, and then he stops around a corner, gets one of those huge caliber revolvers out of the glove compartment, and kills the truck´s engine with one or two shots into the front grill O:) .
    i dont like glocks...heard too many of them jamming and sometimes blowing up...

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    PPK all the way. It's unique to Bond. How, you ask? Well, only three men I know use such a gun, and I believe Zukovsky killed two of them.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Here's all I ask: It shoots bullets.
    PPK.

I've always considered the P99 to be Brosnan's Bond gun. I did like the huge silence in CR, though.
    Or considering the scaled attack on MI6, Bond can just continuously spray rounds from his HK UMP-9 for the whole film- to heck with the suppressor.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Huge silence? What?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Huge silence? What?
    He means huge SILENCER.
    Huge silence? What?
    He means huge SILENCER.
    So that's what the kids are calling it these days...
    Oh, okay. I was confused.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,936
    Well, we wouldn't want that, would we? ;-)
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 289
    kiss kiss bang bang? :P

but the ppk looks way too tiny in DC's hands....
    I'm not sure. I'm easier to confuse when I'm confused.
  • I think it's a moot point, since they will probably trade both for the PPQ. When the Walther P5 came out, Bond used it briefly. When the P99 came out, Bond switched to it. The PPQ was just released, and Bond 23 is coming out, so it's time for another marketing ploy by Walther. I own the SW99 (a hybrid P99) and the PPK in 9mm kurtz (.380 ACP). I have carried both (CHL). I prefer the PPK because it is light and dependable. It makes sense for an assassin to carry it, as it is easily concealable, though I disagree with the caliber Bond uses. He should switch to the PPK/S (one extra round) and upgrade to 9mm kurtz. But yeah, Bond needs the iconic PPK, if only as a back-up piece.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Walther PPK. I love the P99, but as another poster stated, if they are going back to the roots, then go back to the PPK, as per QoS.
  • Walther PPK the earlier Connery films did not rely on using their guns that much use it very little as a matter of fact...I see Craig using his brains and his hand to hand than relying on a weapon.
    Either one is fine with me! They are both awesome pistols. If wanting to return to classic roots, then the PPK is obviously the best choice, but if not, then either is perfectly acceptable.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,699
    My heart says the PPK every time; my head says... ah, who cares.

PPK every time, please... ;)
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11
    I personally prefer the Walther PPK as the P99 is, to be frank, not a particularly covert weapon (and is fairly ugly compared to the PPK).

If they really want to "modernise" the weapon while keeping roughly the same side profile, the Walther P5 (as seen in 1983), the HK P9S or the SIG-Sauer P230 would work fine.

(also, hello again, everyone! :D )
    covert weapon dont have to be poppy seed shooters....bring back the big bore revolver!
    I just took a look at the PPQ on Wikipedia, and...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Walther_PPQ.jpg

When Walther picks a gun design, they stick with it, don't they?
    Seeing as Daniel Craig is a reboot, shouldn't he be using a Beretta at somepoint? As he does not get issued the PPK at this point? Yet alone the P99?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Reboot but set in modern day, so Bond will continue to use the PPK and P99. Maybe Q will issue Bond with one of those in Skyfall.
  • P99
  • I'm all for the PPK, the P99 looked too clunky. PPK is as much Bond as vodka martini's and expensive suits.
  • I personally prefer the PPK. As many of you said, it's more iconic and related to the Bond character.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 7,854
    I still, for the Craig Bond alone, prefer the P99. It looks more right in Craig's hands, while the PPK looks too small. The PPK fit Connery-Brosnan just fine, but not Craig.

Y'know that small gun Bond got from Pam's thigh holster in LTK? For Craig, I feel that that is the PPK in Craig's hands, tiny.
  • I thought the PPK looked a little too small at the end of QoS. I just had a look on the Walther website and there are some interesting choices. There's always the P22, which is a scaled down version of the P99 at 3/4's it's size...

DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=330551

Then there's the PPQ, which they claim is one of the thinnest pistols available...

DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=529016

Then you have the PPS, which probably makes the most sense...but it's UGLY. In Walther's words "The ability to conceal does not have to be at the sacrifice of power. Walther's® PPS is a graceful blend of power, concealment and safety."

DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=371336

Their modern range just doesn't look as cool as the good old PPK. I just wish there was a slightly bigger model. I think that would suit Danny boy better!
This discussion has been closed.