Skyfall: PPK or P99?

Comments

I really dont know what to think about this. I mean I love the PPK, but at the same time it does look dated and the producers pride themselves in constantly modernising the films so why not the gun. For a 50th anniversary I can understand it (same theory applies for the DB5) but I do like to see new tech along the way.
    He has it clearly in the photo for the start of the movie, perhaps like already mentioned? Q may issue him with one? Or the P99 will appear in Bond 24?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    He has it clearly in the photo for the start of the movie, perhaps like already mentioned? Q may issue him with one? Or the P99 will appear in Bond 24?

Yea I know, I just thought i'd give my opinion on the gun thing and didn't think it was worthy of starting a whole new topic for the future of bonds gun.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Even not in the books, to me, the PPK is the Bond's gun, so classic.

xxx
    its too "classic" after this film it needs to go the way of the .25 bretta
    ppk as much as i love it its almost 100 years old....why not just have him weilding a sword and a Webley? two icons of imperialism! I agree Steven time to go modern...

PPK is 7 inches length and 1.56 pounds (0.71 kilograms) this are all shorter...

SIG Sauer P239 6.6 inches (16.76 centimeters) 1.71 pounds (0.78 kilograms)
    Kimber Eclipse Ultra II (45 cal) 6.8 inches (17.3 centimeters) 1.9 pounds (0.86 kilograms)
    Kimber Ultra Raptor 2 (45cal) 6.8 inches (17.3 centimeters) 1.56 pounds (0.71 kilograms)
    (note: shorter and weight is the same!!! but in 45!)

Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special 6.25 inches (15.9 cm) 1.25 pounds (0.57 kilograms)
    Smith & Wesson MP Compact 6.7 inches (17 centimeters) 1.39 pounds (0.63 kilograms)
    CZ 2075 Pistol 6.5 inches (16.5 centimeters) 1.56 pounds (0.71 kilograms)

to compare here is a big bore .500 S&W Magnum

Model 500 S&W500 10.25” / 26 cm 56.5 oz. / 1,601.7 cm

but the ppk is a sesame seed shooter compared to this big cape buffalo stopper.

Kimbers are pretty and very well made...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It doesn't matter how s**ty a weapon is in real life, any movie can make a Derringer blow somebody's head into nonexistence.
    P99. It didn't make much sense in QOS for Bond to switch to a more dated model.
  • oo7oo7
    I think q will wind up giving him the ppk as the p99 is too bulky
  • I really want the PPK back
    I really want the PPK back

It was in QOS. I want the P99 back.
  • I really want the PPK back

Not just in QOS. It was in every single movie before TWINE, except for Octopussy.

That's why I want it back.
    I really want the PPK back

Not just in QOS. It was in every single movie before TWINE, except for Octopussy.

That's why I want it back.

I know it was, I'm just saying, you don't need to want it back because they bought it back for QOS and now SF. I want them to bring back the P99.
    How about Bond uses both, like he did in Tomorrow Never Dies? PPK first half, P99 second half?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    He does that throughout the latter Benson books, too, uses both depending on the situation.
    Of course the P99 did make its 007 debut in Tomorrow Never Dies, ultimately replacing the PPK up until 2008 with Quantum of Solace, but it's never out of the question to say that Bond could be versatile with his weapon choice. You have the option to use both in 007 Nightfire, so it's not an implausible notion.
    As I said before, with Craig, I prefer the P99. It looks better in his hands. The PPK just looks too small.
    The ppk suits the old classic films, but it seems a bit out of place in the new films. The p99 suited Brosnan better and it suits Craig better.
  • Well, there are some shots and pics of Craig with the ppk
    I think it was confirmed that they were using the ppk.
    I seen the trailer properly he use the Walther PPK. His new Q issued another PPK with is own Finger prints sign gun which he fire only. You might say for 007 hands only, that good humour don't reckon? Now you keep update there a web like what IMDB did cars which I show you in James Bond cars collection IMCDB Now they done the Guns version IMFDB, International movies Firearms Database. I member of that. I do a new post to explain it.
    Agent7F wrote:
    I seen the trailer properly he use the Walther PPK. His new Q issued another PPK with is own Finger prints sign gun which he fire only. You might say for 007 hands only, that good humour don't reckon? Now they done the Guns version IMFDB, International movies Firearms Database. I member of that. I do a new post to explain it.
    Actually Q issued him the Walther PPK/S, it Blue steel. I remember late Edward Woodward carried a Stainless Steel colour in his TV series The Eqaulizer. I thought it came only in Stainless steel but also in Blue Steel. I seen another Web site on gun in the Walther section that optional choice Blue or Stainless Steel. I don't which it better so don't ask me. I tried the PPK/S in the barrel in U.S in Stainless long time ago. It was brilliant.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 820
    I know that The post Bond 24 car is already open although we don't whether get a new gadget car but done open the Bond 24 gun yet open it next year when filming starts. We all know Walther gun no matter PPK or P99 he always his actual gun. So let wait next year.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I remember someone saying that they should actually have Bond use both. With the way Skyfall seems to be heading storywise, with Bond having a lot off non-mission time in the film, he could use the PPK for his own protection, as his own personal side-arm, and then switch to the P99 for missions and other more physical activities.

I'm sure secret agents use common sense like that when it comes to firearms, so I think it'd be a nice touch. Satisfying the realism and logical side of secret agent activities, and also satisfying both classic and newer Bond fans.
  • It has to be the Walther PPK, it's Bond's firearm after all, synonymous with the character, immortalized in Bond history and recognition. At it's for the 50th year anniversary for crying out loud, what could be more appropriate?

Saying that, there's been so much chopping and changing in recent times it wouldn't surprise me if they'll make another 'error' and go with the P99, but time will tell, although it does appear the PPK will be featured after all
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2
    A gun that stands a good chance is the bersa thunder plus, essentially a ppk clone but with double the capacity. that would work as an upgrade for the next 50 years or until they make a better gun that looks as good as the ppk.
    Thunder-Plus-380-mat-L-fram.jpg

but imo the bond film producers should stop being cheap and just modify a ppk to hold a doublestack magazine. (15 rounds vs 7) that way along with it's great accuracy it becomes a versatile believeable weapon for him to use in the film.

I think they are going in this direction. In Skyfall there were two occasions where Bond's 8 round gunshots weren't enough to provide sufficient suppressive fire. If they doubled that and showed Bond firing 16 bullets on film, it would be an impressive display of firepower and actually work in keeping a bad guys head down.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @an94, the trigger guard gives it a Beretta/Walther type look.

I think the PPK is great - Bond looks good using it, it's easy to manuever and conceal, but the only problem is the ammo capacity: Bond may have had a bigger chance of killing Patrice much, much sooner in Turkey if he had the P99 - and if he had just shot him when he was riding alongside him in the jeep.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2
    Another needed and great addition would be a laser and/or led torch on the grip. Nowadays a torch on a gun is practically essential. Crimson laser grips does one version here http://www.crimsontrace.com/products/manufacturer/walther-pistols/01-1970
    All they'd need to do is add a led light on the other side. Bond shining his gun light around would make for some nice imagery. The laser dot also adds some interesting cinematic and technical possibilities, since it allows precise aiming from any position.
    Just say 007 will always have Walther. Just don't Bother opening the Bond 24 what gun he carries. If he the PPK again never P99 or any of the new Walther, so there you go. You guys never commented my post on the Introducing Walther PPX which would a great gun for Bond.
  • As long as its a trusted Walther, Bond can never go wrong.
  • People who criticize the PPK seem to not really understand WHY it's carried. Or why people continue to carry it today.

Not only is it very short and lightweight, it's slim. It's extremely easy and comfortable to conceal, while the caliber makes it easy to suppress. There's a good reason it's such a popular concealed carry piece. People complain about the power, but you also need to keep in mind that lower power means lower recoil. Either way, power is only a problem to those who can't make lethal hits with their gun. James Bond certainly can.

The idea of the PPK being "outdated" comes from those who don't know why it remains popular to this day. The M1911 is certainly more "outdated", but people still use it in spite of its flaws because it's a good design for what they need it for. So is the PPK.

Giving Bond a P99 or some other large handgun is missing the point of Bond: he's a spy. He's not MEANT to be charging into firefights; he mostly does that because of circumstances, not because it's his job description. His job requires him to be able to carry a concealed handgun, perfect for both self-defense and assassination, 24/7. A Walther P99 isn't very good for that.
This discussion has been closed.