What is your breaking point that would make you stop being a Bond fan.

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Murdock wrote: »
    Black or female Bond. Just couldn't do it.

My thoughts exactly.

As for Turner, I don't want him as Bond but if he was cast I wouldn't boycott it. I just don't think he's worthy of the role. Had he have just been mentioned once and not be overhyped by some users claiming he will be successor to the thrown I wouldn't be so against him but this over hype has made me not like him.

+1.
    Black or female Bond. Just couldn't do it.

+1.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The only way I'd stop being a Bond fan is if they started making Bond movies that had no resemblance to what film-Bond should be. This would include a female Bond. I'd actually tolerate a black Bond, but I wouldn't be happy about it. I would also have considered making a series of films in the style of QOS to be a departure from proper film-Bond and I would have lost interest in the series.
    There is no "breaking point" for me. My Bond fandom isn't dependent on new product being released. They could stop releasing films, books, whatever else, and I would still be a fan. They could make absolutely awful Bond products (and they have) and I would still be a fan. To me, Bond is basically the Fleming books and the '60s films, and everything after that is gravy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If they made a radical casting choice or the films turned into something that didn't feel Bondian in any way, shape, or form, I'd probably give up on rushing to the theaters to see them, but I'd likely check them out eventually, out of morbid curiosity. Don't believe my fandom will ever die, I've got 22 installments I enjoy and always will, which is comforting lately.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No matter what came to pass, I would never not see a Bond film in theaters. They are the only movies I actually dress up to see with tie and all, and where I put myself in the Bondian mood in outward style to enjoy them (it feels wrong to see a Bond in a t-shirt and jeans). It's like I'm going to my own little premiere, despite just sitting in a fairly standard theater seat a half hour from home. It's a tradition I'll always have, and the only one I allow myself to have for just this character.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If they made a radical casting choice or the films turned into something that didn't feel Bondian in any way, shape, or form, I'd probably give up on rushing to the theaters to see them, but I'd likely check them out eventually, out of morbid curiosity. Don't believe my fandom will ever die, I've got 22 installments I enjoy and always will, which is comforting lately.
    +1. I've lost my enthusiasm twice (during the entire period I can recall being a Bond fan, which is basically since my earliest memories). That is in 1999 and again in 2015. Both times, I didn't give up on being a fan, but I definitely became quite dejected. So like you, I can enjoy 22 out of 24 films (I even like NSNA) for what they are, and I don't think I will ever stop being a fan because of that legendary catalogue. I will say that PC B.S. really ticks me off, and I hope they don't water down the character any more. He is quite unique and they should keep as many of his eccentricities as possible, especially in this day and age with all these neutered wusses we have as heroes.

The same thing applies to the Bat. I don't think I will ever be as enthused and excited as I was during the Nolan era (perfection imho) but I'll still watch them with Affleck and the CGI.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think EON should be commended for how they've been able to keep Bond the man he is intended to be. He still screws anything not nailed down, amply imbibes all manner of liquid courage, kills more brutally than ever before and has been given a great collection of vices/flaws that make him a complicated study and far from a perfect or simple man. For all the violence and sex of the Bond series' history, I'm glad we can say that even now, when so many movies are neutered to fit an agenda.

I know some are upset that smoking was taken from Bond's habits, but I feel that decision makes sense for this Bond, as he's a physically fit guy who always has to keep himself in tip top form, lung-wise, to do his job effectively. Smoking also isn't as socially prevalent or accepted as it used to be (remember the days of Roger, Tim and Pierce doing Lark ads?), whereas dressing in a nice suit, looking your best and being confident are things that never change. In that way I think Bond has been able to bust through the PC minefield and still be the man he needs to be and it's nice to see that EON have refused to budge when it comes to his proper presentation on the big screen. In many ways I don't think we realize how lucky we are at times.
    I pretty much lost interest in the last two Bond films, simply because I just don´t find a way to get into Sam Mendes´ way of making Bond films. If Mendes would do another Bond film, I´m not sure I could conjure up enough interest to go see it at all. I would be in a similar situation if Nolan would direct a Bond film.

All that wouldn´t keep me in the slightest from thoroughly enjoying every single Bond film Eon made until then, even though I find Brosnan as an actor a bit annoying.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Nothing could ever make me NOT a Bond fan. Fleming, Connery, Dalton and Brosnan made sure of that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If Mendes magically signed on for a third, I'd be patient enough to catch it digitally a few months after its theatrical release. Doubt the third time would be the charm for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Losing interest in future installments wouldn t take away the enjoyment of what came before. DAD finally made me give up on the film series, but you all know what happened next.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Black
    Female
    Gay
    American
    Politically correct

Bond. Basically any Bond who is an obvious deviation from the sum total of the character traits Fleming had given him.
    To this day Eon hasn't effed things up as to lose my Bond fandom. I doubt they will either. I always get excited when a new film is in the works.
    That said- hypothetically- if the rights were to completely go to someone else who had their own agenda there could be a possibility I'd skip a new Bond film. Say for example if some producer thought 007's occupation should change and it would be brilliant to make Bond an American Idol contestant as opposed to a secret agent for MI6.
    As sarcastic as that analogy may be, I'm sure Michael and Barbara have had all kinds of absurd ideas thrown at them that would completely change who and what Bond is. All it would take is someone with no respect for Bond and a green-lit project to kill something great.
    Then I'd have to settle for enjoying the past catalog of films with no new Bond on the horizon.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Death. My own.

And as my good friend Mr. Warren Zevon said so well: "but it'll be a drag if I don't make it 'till the next James Bond movie comes ..."
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Black
    Female
    Gay
    American
    Politically correct

Bond. Basically any Bond who is an obvious deviation from the sum total of the character traits Fleming had given him.

I agree. If anything Fleming's Bond is the antipode of politically correct, using the character for such purposes is pissing all over its legacy.

I wouldn't want Shaft to be white or Tom Ripley to be straight, so I don't want Bond to be black/female/gay. That's just not who the character is.

If a black gentleman spy would be the protagonist in any film be my guest, I'd probably watch it. He just shouldn't be called James Bond.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    @DarthDimi @GoldenGun Agree with you both. If you had to choose one of those five options for Bond, which would one bother you the least? If he was black I wouldn't mind too much if he was still Bondian in every other way and played by a great actor. On the other hand I don't think I would be able to handle a female 007 under any circumstances.
    Lego Bond would probably be the worst, but I see the idea has many fans here.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    NSGW wrote: »
    @DarthDimi @GoldenGun Agree with you both. If you had to choose one of those five options for Bond, which would one bother you the least? If he was black I wouldn't mind too much if he was still Bondian in every other way and played by a great actor. On the other hand I don't think I would be able to handle a female 007 under any circumstances.
    I agree. The closest I can get to a female Bond is if the character was played by Rebecca Ferguson and called Ilsa Faust rather than James Bond. Even then, I'd miss him being male.
    Just make a Modesty Blaise franchise.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,131
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Black
    Female
    Gay
    American
    Politically correct

Best post I've seen in a long while. 100% agree.

I've ordered. 1. being the worst and 5 being more acceptable.

1. Female
    2. Black/ none white
    3. Gay (the character)
    4. American/ none Brit
    5. Politically correct
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

Oh please oh please oh please. And make it GOOD.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    LEGO Bond

great idea, I'd love it and I don't see how it would affect the franchise, there are comic books, that's not much different.

One wish though, cast Timothy Dalton as LEGO Batman, his voice would be fantastic on a LEGO Bond.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,185
    Bond to me is many things. Books, games, nowadays comics, and the occasional movie... So if one of these doesn't work for me anymore i would still continue to enjoy the other ones.

There is a possibility that i might stop watching the movies, for example if they try to do something extremely stupid like a female Bond. Which would basically destroy 50 years of films and books etc, so i doubt that will ever happen...

And EoN is not a company that goes for such cheap publicity stunts, so i think we are save
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Now that's the best idea I've heard in a while Daphne who playes her on BBC Radio four is doing a great job and would transfer very well to a screen role

http://www.daphnealexander.com/portfolio_page/modesty-blaise/
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Making Bond a black man wouldn't be a breaking point for me, I would just be really disappointed, but making him gay or female would probably get me to stop watching any new movies.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Now that's the best idea I've heard in a while Daphne who playes her on BBC Radio four is doing a great job and would transfer very well to a screen role

http://www.daphnealexander.com/portfolio_page/modesty-blaise/

They picked someone with the right look for a radio play?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    No Thundy my old mate they picked someone with the right look full stop she's a cracking looking girl if you ask me .
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    In answer to the original post nothing would stop me being a Bond fan because I've got over 50 years of material to still enjoy, be it books or films.

If the films degrade in quality or the wrong actor gets the role I may stop watching them but I can't see that happening and as I said, I'd still be a Bond fan.

I am a Star Wars fan, but the latest films have not impressed me and I have lost interest in the future productions but I will always love Star Wars, albeit, just for A New Hope and Empire. Two of the greatest fantasy films ever made.
    In answer to the original post nothing would stop me being a Bond fan because I've got over 50 years of material to still enjoy, be it books or films.

If the films degrade in quality or the wrong actor gets the role I may stop watching them but I can't see that happening and as I said, I'd still be a Bond fan.

I am a Star Wars fan, but the latest films have not impressed me and I have lost interest in the future productions but I will always love Star Wars, albeit, just for A New Hope and Empire. Two of the greatest fantasy films ever made.

Why'd you leave out the Christmas special?