What is your breaking point that would make you stop being a Bond fan.

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    In answer to the original post nothing would stop me being a Bond fan because I've got over 50 years of material to still enjoy, be it books or films.

If the films degrade in quality or the wrong actor gets the role I may stop watching them but I can't see that happening and as I said, I'd still be a Bond fan.

I am a Star Wars fan, but the latest films have not impressed me and I have lost interest in the future productions but I will always love Star Wars, albeit, just for A New Hope and Empire. Two of the greatest fantasy films ever made.

Why'd you leave out the Christmas special?

My mate had a copy of it and I watched it a couple of years ago. I then realized why it was so infamous.

I must admit it was a perverse delight seeing something so bad it was almost unbelievable that it ever got broadcast....
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't believe we never got a Bond Christmas special in the same vein. Bond, M, Moneypenny and Q all hang out around the MI6 offices for a holiday party, exchanging gifts and this and that. Then they get an alert that a Santa wannabe in a flying sleigh is planning to drop dirty bombs from sacks into London, and Bond must speed off to catch him using one of Q's aircraft.

It would only work if Moore was Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    There was a television special leading up to the releases of TB. It was somewhat corny, but no where near in the realm of that Star Wars Christmas Special. I believe it's an extra on the TB BluRay disc.

Seriously? What was the premise?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    The Incredible World Of James Bond is the 50 minute feature on THUNDERBALL special features. It's one of my favourite documentaries.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Which one has the woman who is obsessed with Bond?

It's the one called "Welcome To Japan, Mr Bond" on YOLT.
    The ridiculous notion of Elba as Bond or a woman Bond. The character description is known throughout the world.

And their are already plenty of strong female espionage character's around on TV and Film.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    If Elba was Bond. I would boycott the film.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Elba is the one black man that I would be okay with being Bond. It's nothing I'm wanting to happen but if it did I'd be okay. We needn't worry about that though because they've moved on from that. Plus, Elba is now starring in the Dark Tower movie based off the books. He plays Roland... a white character in the books and comics.
    It's just a very asinine and lazy move. When people complain about diversity, they should motivate Hollywood and other creators to make characters that fit who they are and give them the voice they desire. These character that can be made could include a black or female spy that kicks ass, but sometimes that's not what the PC crowd want. They want to be lazy, and instead of putting in the work to make a new character that is unique and shares a racial or gender-based trait, they target characters like Bond and say, "What if we made him a black man or a woman?"

Which is actually pretty offensive, when you think about it. "We can't be bothered to make a new, cool character for your 'people,' we just want this super popular guy to look like one of you." Which tells a black person, woman or other group of people the PC crowd are trying to exploit that they aren't compelling enough to have themselves made into a fresh character that can be iconic on their own. They need so much help, someone as popular as James Bond who is already in the public eye and whose gigantic worldwide image has to be used to shake-up gender rules or racial lines instead. As I said, the lazy move.

It's okay for the PC warriors to want such a thing of Bond, but create a white Shaft or male Marple and those fools would lose their minds. And then they'd know how we feel, always having to deal with their bullshit.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Those still wanting James Bond to be black are going to be made aware and realise very soon it's something they never needed nor really wanted.
    It's just a very asinine and lazy move. When people complain about diversity, they should motivate Hollywood and other creators to make characters that fit who they are and give them the voice they desire. These character that can be made could include a black or female spy that kicks ass, but sometimes that's not what the PC crowd want. They want to be lazy, and instead of putting in the work to make a new character that is unique and shares a racial or gender-based trait, they target characters like Bond and say, "What if we made him a black man or a woman?"

Which is actually pretty offensive, when you think about it. "We can't be bothered to make a new, cool character for your 'people,' we just want this super popular guy to look like one of you." Which tells a black person, woman or other group of people the PC crowd are trying to exploit that they aren't compelling enough to have themselves made into a fresh character that can be iconic on their own. They need so much help, someone as popular as James Bond who is already in the public eye and whose gigantic worldwide image has to be used to shake-up gender rules or racial lines instead. As I said, the lazy move.

It's okay for the PC warriors to want such a thing of Bond, but create a white Shaft or male Marple and those fools would lose their minds. And then they'd know how we feel, always having to deal with their bullshit.

What a great post! Totally agree.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,471

Post of the day, mirrors my thoughts exactly.

It's the lazy stench of unoriginality that would kill it for me - like you said, where's the harm in trying to kickstart a new, original franchise? Hell, the upcoming 'Atomic Blonde' is high on my radar - something original, starring a female spy that kicks ass. If they tried that twist for Bond, I'd have zero interest, but as an original idea? I'll be there to see it day one in theaters, no question.

It's the same argument for the latest 'Ghostbusters,' and how all the people who were looking forward to it labelled all the naysayers as anti-women, which simply wasn't the case.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think it is essential that they make Donald Duck a flamingo soon. And a transvestite.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I think it is essential that they make Donald Duck a flamingo soon. And a transvestite.
    It's not about that.

It's about how he self-identifies.
    It's not about that.

It's about how he self-identifies.

Yeah, don't be so gender binary. GAWD!
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    It's funny how nowadays I almost couldn't care less when the next Bond will hit the cinemas.
    A fifth Craig Bond will not be able to surpass Spectre anyway, there is a risk it will be a weak end to his tenure.
    Same goes for the "creative" team that has given us such wonders like SF and QOS.

I really want all of them gone. It will depend highly on the director of Bond 25 if I will look forward to it. EON has to bring back directors that are not full of themselves and think they have to put an artistic touch to Bond like Forster and Mendes did.

I don't have a breaking point though regarding Bond. I will always be a fan(atic).
    I even survived Bull v Shame in the Batman franchise. Barely, but I survived.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 10,588
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Making Bond a black man wouldn't be a breaking point for me, I would just be really disappointed, but making him gay or female would probably get me to stop watching any new movies.
    Why would making him gay (again!) stop you from watching any future Bond films? #curious

Sean Connery.
    Making Bond a black man wouldn't be a breaking point for me, I would just be really disappointed, but making him gay or female would probably get me to stop watching any new movies.
    Why would making him gay (again!) stop you from watching any future Bond films? #curious

Because Bond isn't a gay man ....

According to Craigbond himself in Skyfall, he is at least bi-curious and what makes us think it would have been his first time with Silva....
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    According to Craigbond himself in Skyfall, he is at least bi-curious and what makes us think it would have been his first time with Silva....

I always took that line in SF to be a bluff, as per Calvin Dyson's review.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bond playing for both teams? I highly doubt it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I always took that line in SF to be a bluff, as per Calvin Dyson's review.

That's 100% what it was, a game of wits between him and Silva.

Yeah you're right - that bit in Spectre when Bond won't take Tanner's hand - because Tanner cheated on him.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,512

No. It's deliberate subterfuge. Banter as the kids might call it. It's superb. I know you think it's awful, but you're wrong.

Next big Purvis/Wade reveal: off camera Bond has had his way with every Main Villain.

I wouldn't be surprised if P&W have a fanfic-style script where Bond has his way with them. A PB&W sandwich.
    I would put nothing past them. On the extras disk included in the last boxed set they left the door open (in fact the implication comes up twice) to retroactively linking Auric Goldfinger to SPECTRE.

They really are a special kind of stupid.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 5,131

Seriously? He was taking the piss.....classic English sarcastic humour and Bond showing he isn't phased by Silva. On the other hand I assume that Silva might actually be gay/ bi.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Seriously? He was taking the piss.....classic English sarcastic humour and Bond showing he isn't phased by Silva. On the other hand I assume that Silva might actually be gay/ bi.

I actually think that that moment carried nicely into Severine's death. Bond's byplay told Silva he was challenging his alpha status, and so in the next scene Silva upped the ante and went across the line to prove to Bond that he's outmatched. Stirred by the violent and unexpected act, Bond quips about the scotch in an effort to feign indifference to Silva, proving his invulnerability, but his old and frivolous delivery is replaced by a very rough and infuriated tone that tells us how he truly feels.