Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Risico007 wrote: »
    James Bond The Duel, honestly not a bad 007 side scroller adventure it’s insanly hard as I can’t seem to beat the first mission I also am trying to get a working n64 and ps1 emulator

Had that on SEGA MasterSystem - loved it. Wish I could get it on the PS3 for a bit of nostalgia. Played it for hours…
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,372
    The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone

Haven't really gotten into the meat of this DLC, but it's spicing things up quite nicely. Game is definitely kicking my ass now - I had "over-leveled", of sorts, during the main game, so I was pretty much flying through bosses, monsters and humans alike. But now? Enemies a good four to five levels above me really doing some damage, especially when I'm going up against seven or eight Knights with crazy armor and bowmen to back them up, too.

It looks like this DLC merely extended the eastern portion of Velen, which is fine with me, as it paved the way for a lot of nice looking towns and locales alongside the sweeping river far east. Knocked out that damned trophy for killing three archers with their own arrows - was a pain at first because you have to be perfect with your timing just to deflect one arrow, and each enemy (for me, anyway) required four arrows to die.

Some random thoughts I've had: I know they've said this is it for the series and they won't do a fourth installment, but on the off chance they ever do, I have three big wishes for the series:

1. A stealth/crouch option. It needn't be as valuable as it is in Skyrim, nor do I even need a bow (the crossbow aiming is terrible in this, can't imagine what it'd be like trying to snipe enemies with arrows), but there are countless caves I'd love to be able to sneak through. I know it really wouldn't add anything to the game, since it isn't stealth-driven at all and you'd just get spotted and attacked upon arrival of a certain chamber/passageway with enemies, anyway, but I do appreciate the option.

2. Something that's likely impossible to implement, but given the vast variety of monsters and enemies, and just how much time you spend swimming, diving underwater, and searching for treasures, I really would've loved some sea-based combat/sea-based monsters and enemies. I'm not talking about the Drowners that dive in and out of water, but I'm thinking massive crabs/water snakes/big ass Kraken-type enemies. Swimming in games has always been such a heart-stopping thing for me provided enemies are in the water, and I would've appreciated that added danger, diving for a particular chest, knowing there might be some ominous being coming my way simultaneously.

3. Photo Mode. I absolutely loved this feature in The Last Of Us and Horizon: Zero Dawn, and given just how stunning the game looks, it should've had one. I've still nabbed hundreds of gorgeous screenshots, but they'd look so much better without my objectives, HUD and mini map stretched across the screen.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Risico007 wrote: »
    James Bond The Duel, honestly not a bad 007 side scroller adventure it’s insanly hard as I can’t seem to beat the first mission I also am trying to get a working n64 and ps1 emulator

Had that on SEGA MasterSystem - loved it. Wish I could get it on the PS3 for a bit of nostalgia. Played it for hours…

james-bond-007-the-duel-usa.png

I have that with the box and everything! As much as I love seeing Dalton on the cover it's a painful reminder that in 1993 he WAS STILL JAMES BOND and yet no movie :'(
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That's good to hear. I'm not one that demands my games be easy across the board, but I worried that the combat could be too janky and "in-depth" for it to be utilized skillfully; glad it's merely a learning curve and gets easier from there.

From the little experience I have of the open ware fare combat (fighting with axes and swords), it still needs a bit of work. Dodging is also a bit troublesome. But as I said, the more time you put into specific aspects, the better you get. I just prefer to play games with stealth, if given the choice. But if you are going to wait until later in the year before picking up a copy, these teething troubles, should be irrelevant by then.
    I can't tell if it's their definition of realism, or just bugs, but I've seen some laughable "realistic deaths" in certain playthrough videos. I watched one guy shoot someone directly in the face with an arrow and nothing happened, and then I've seen others punch someone one time in their chest plate and kill them upon impact somehow.

How has the stealth felt for you thus far? That's typically the play style I aim for, provided it's an option. Can you genuinely enjoy a massive amount of the game utilizing stealth if you wish, or is it one of those games where they act like it's an option, but it's so buggy/the AI is so intuitive that it never works?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 13,882
    I can't tell if it's their definition of realism, or just bugs, but I've seen some laughable "realistic deaths" in certain playthrough videos. I watched one guy shoot someone directly in the face with an arrow and nothing happened, and then I've seen others punch someone one time in their chest plate and kill them upon impact somehow.

I don't think the game is supposed of be taken as realistic, rather than historically accurate in terms of weapons, armour, but I guess that does also mean how many times you have hit someone before they die. I have chocked out bandits, and put 5... 10 arrows into them before they die. But also, this is where experience comes into play. If you use a weapon that you aren't experienced with, it's stats are stunted. Take the bow. Up until level 5, the bow waves around when aimed, and if you don't have a vambrace, you can injure Henry's arm when you draw an arrow. The idea being that Henry, mere son of a noted blacksmith, has never used a weapon in his life. So he learns how to wiled the weapon the more you use it.
    How has the stealth felt for you thus far? That's typically the play style I aim for, provided it's an option. Can you genuinely enjoy a massive amount of the game utilizing stealth if you wish, or is it one of those games where they act like it's an option, but it's so buggy/the AI is so intuitive that it never works?

So far, it's been good. There are side quests requiring Henry to steal things, so the better you are at stealth and lock picking, the easier those missions will be. Then there are side missions requiring Henry to clear out Bandit camps. Those can be done either by killing the Bandits up front with a sword or whatever. Or they can be cleared up using stealth. Stealth especially is more complex in the game than simply "stealth and that's it". Stealth depends on how quiet you move, how visible you are (is it night/day, colour of clothing) and I kid you not... if Henry hasn't had a bath for.... I don't know how long, he will smell, and his presence will alert anyone near. So... so far, a lot of the game can be played using stealth. But I am not finished yet, so maybe a little sword/axe experience would be advisable, just in case. I'm trying to think back over the missions I played early on, and I don't think there were any in which success meant attacking up front. I could be wrong, but if I am, then there were hardly any that couldn't be completed using stealth.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I think platinuming this game will be a welcome challenge, but one I'll enjoy because the game is worth it. I'm glad I still have so much to do, as it speaks to the scope of the game. After playing it I look at every other open world game and think, "Wow, the devs were really slacking, weren't they?" It's almost impossible how big the game is, in so many ways.

I really want to get to the DLCs badly, especially to see that kingdom in Blood & Wine. Looks breathtaking, right out of a storybook nightmare.

This game is easily ruining most games for me across the board - stellar graphics, stellar gameplay, not weighed down by garbage microtransactions or DLC that add nothing to the game, the story, the choices of morality, the freshness of the plot and twists and dialogue, hell even some of the quieter quests (one involving getting drunk with friends was hilarious) are more exciting than the majority of what other open world games have to offer (looking at you, Mafia 3).

I woke up real early to progress in Hearts of Stone, after spending a couple of hours sprinting around Kaer Morhen, unlocking hidden areas and taking in the sights.

@Creasy47, one thing that instantly made me a fan of CD Projekt Red is that they made 2 (!) DLCs for their already massive game and both of those DLCs by themselves are still longer than most games you see put out from other developers these days. Truly mind blowing. I would pay $100 for The Witcher 3, as it's at least worth that much in content, if not more. I've seldom felt so satisfied with a game and its price point, and I got it on sale for $25! So glad you made me take the leap on it.

The game truly has so much to offer. The mythology and lore, the amazing characters, the style and mood, the almost painted surroundings and the biggest feature for me, the ability to be the kind of Geralt you want. I like the freedom to be a nasty man or a good man, even though I'll always pick the latter any time I can. It's a great element of the game that you can have your Geralt react the way you want him to in a number of situations, building your idea of his principles from moment to moment. Sometimes you'll take the high road and let something slide, other times it's too personal to ignore and you just have to act with brutality. I like those shades of gray you can create in Geralt, as it makes him more human and fascinating. He's not always going to make the best choice, or the choice you'd make. So when I play I don't play myself, I play Geralt as I view him, a monster hunter who has matured from his wild days and is trying to really focus on his life and what he wants, but if he's crossed he'll do anything to protect what matters to him. Above all he's principled and looks out for those that don't have the power to do so themselves.

One of my favorite moments so far in my playthrough was
    coming upon another witcher from the Cat School who Geralt knew had killed innocents, and you basically had the choice to let him go and let the crimes go unanswered for sort of as a pact between witchers, or you could challenge the man and kill him for what he'd done. I of course viewed Geralt as a justice bringer, and he wasn't going to stand for what that witcher had done, even if he was from his own Wolf school. And so, the Cat witcher had to be chopped down.

I really love moments like that where you can see Geralt struggling with what's ahead of him, but you have to make a choice. I've spent so many times in the game pausing and really thinking about what I wanted to say or do next, as I knew the choice could have dramatic consequences for what was ahead. And even if it didn't, I was still trying to live up to the Geralt I'd played before, to give him consistency and distinction.
    @MajorDSmythe, that actually sounds quite inventive and unique; I've also read (and maybe you've mentioned it already, I know I did hear others speak of it elsewhere) that if you hold on to food for too long, it'll turn rotten and make you sick if you eat it. Seeing stuff like that, or having people detect you because you haven't bathed and smell, is wild to me.

Have you seen this? Patch 1.3 is coming, apparently:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/kingdom-come-deliverance/Updates_and_Patch_Notes
    @MajorDSmythe, that actually sounds quite inventive and unique; I've also read (and maybe you've mentioned it already, I know I did hear others speak of it elsewhere) that if you hold on to food for too long, it'll turn rotten and make you sick if you eat it. Seeing stuff like that, or having people detect you because you haven't bathed and smell, is wild to me.

That's right, food has a freshness percentage, anything too low, or flat out rotten will give you foot poisoning if eaten. It looks full on, having to remember to bath, mend clothes/armour/weapons, eat, sleep, but after a while managing everything becomes second nature.
    Have you seen this? Patch 1.3 is coming, apparently:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/kingdom-come-deliverance/Updates_and_Patch_Notes

I was aware of Patch 1.03, but no date is known. Having put 22hrs into the game so far, the lock picking doesn't need fixing. At least not in my opinion. Easy locks felt hard to pick at first, because the way game expects us to pick locks. But with practice (the Rattay Mill owner will train Henry in lock picking for a small sum, even smaller if you haggle) and experience, I can pick easy locks with no problems. Anything above easy, I need to build up my experience more. There are also unlockable perks such as more durable lock picks to help with picking locks. Everything about Kingdom Come: Deliverance comes back to experience. If I had three tips for the game, they would be 1) practice, 2) practice and 3) practice. Pick your play style at the start, and settle in.

I see that it has already sold 1,000,000+ units. Congratulations to the developers. It started out as a Kickstarter, and is quite a niche game, that demands time from the player before letting them get anywhere.
    I heard they had plans to tweak the lockpicking because it felt like something much more suited for a PC, to the point that it was needlessly tough on consoles.

A million units for a Kickstarter-based game that was unveiled at full retail price, that's an incredible success for them. It sounds like their sole focus now is patching the game as much and as often as they can to make it as close to their original vision as possible. I love it.
    I heard they had plans to tweak the lockpicking because it felt like something much more suited for a PC, to the point that it was needlessly tough on consoles.

A million units for a Kickstarter-based game that was unveiled at full retail price, that's an incredible success for them. It sounds like their sole focus now is patching the game as much and as often as they can to make it as close to their original vision as possible. I love it.

I won't lie, the lock picking is tough at the beginning. The left stick controls the lock, the right stick is used for the sweet spot. You have to find the sweet spot, then rotate the lock, and at the same time, rotating the sweet spot in relation to the position of the lock. To the people complaining, all I can say is... practice. Look, if I can do it, it can't be that hard. Now that I am used to the lock picking system (I just need to pick more locks to build up Henry's experience), I just hope they don't change it too much.
    It can't be any worse than hacking a safe in GTA Online, that's for damn sure. That was one GARBAGE mechanic to incorporate...and it wasn't even seen throughout the rest of the game, which was astounding.

Reminds me of those horrible hacking/puzzle levels that Bethesda introduced just once, in one DLC for Fallout 4 - horrible, not user friendly, not remotely easy to figure out, and created just for that one specific mission. Infuriating.
    It can't be any worse than hacking a safe in GTA Online, that's for damn sure. That was one GARBAGE mechanic to incorporate...and it wasn't even seen throughout the rest of the game, which was astounding.

Reminds me of those horrible hacking/puzzle levels that Bethesda introduced just once, in one DLC for Fallout 4 - horrible, not user friendly, not remotely easy to figure out, and created just for that one specific mission. Infuriating.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the lock picking isn't worse than in any other game (just different), but like everything else in the game, requires practice/experience to be really good. Pay for training, and attempt any lock you come across, if you think you're going to be found out, back off and wait till the area is clear before trying again. If your charisma is high enough and you are spotted, you can talk your way out of trouble. I complained about the lock picking at first, but that was because I didn't know what the game expected of me.
    Another example is the bow. Up until level 5, Henrys aim is not steady. Not only that, but unlike Skryrim where when you pick up a bow for the first time, you have a crosshair to help with aiming, with Kingdom Come: Delieverance, there's no crosshair. Maybe there will be a crosshair at the higher levels, but i'm on level 5 (or 6) and I don't have a crosshair. You have to look at the tip of the arrow, and judge the distance youself. I think a lot of the complaints were from people who expected a game that was an easy 'pick up and play game' and not a game that requires the player to put time into the game.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I recently got to pick up massive interest in Resident Evil 7. Although, I haven't watched any gameplay and whatnot, because I want to be surprised while playing. Do any of you recommend the game? I heard it's Outlast but with guns and combat.
  • I love RE7. I think you'll really enjoy it.

For the first time in a loooong time Resident Evil is scary again! I'm a grown ass man who jumped several times!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    RE7 is a great game. It's not so much like Outlast (granted, I've played very little Outlast), but it's a great horror show with an interesting cadt, aside from the main character. If you're interested in the whole story, I hope you picked up the Gold Edition.
    I recently got to pick up massive interest in Resident Evil 7. Although, I haven't watched any gameplay and whatnot, because I want to be surprised while playing. Do any of you recommend the game? I heard it's Outlast but with guns and combat.

I never got around to finishing it sadly, but from what I played of it, it was wonderfully atmospheric and the world felt quite detailed and nightmarish. I'd give it a go.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I was advised to pick up the Gold Edition so I held out to gather a few recommendations and opinions about the game. Right! I'll be purchasing a copy of this one. I heard it's not related to any of the previous Resident Evil games for the main part and feature none of the old characters apart from Chris Redfield in a cameo appearance, is that true?
  • That's true, but if you're getting the Gold edition there's a DLC that lets you actually play as Chris (but it's first person, so it's not like it's radically different)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    If you get it, let me know what you think of it @ClarkDevlin
    I played the first hour at a friends house, and i have to say there were some pretty messed up moments. it definitly is terrifying, but also very different from the originals. I might buy it when it's on steam sales again, just wanted to hear a second opinion.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, you ever play Bloodborne, or is it not for you? I played it for maybe an hour once when my buddy lent me his copy - seemed fun, atmospheric, nightmarish at times, and perhaps I wasn't in the right mindset for it at the time, but it felt almost TOO hard? That's a complaint I hate having with video games, but I might have to check it out again, because it's one of the free PS Plus titles just announced for next month, alongside Ratchet & Clank.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Just bought Into the Breach, because why not f*** up my WWII streak to play a game about giant robots fighting alien monsters?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I have watched some of Bloodborne in videos by my favorite let's players and games journalists, but no, I've not yet played it hands-on. Surprised that it's getting a free PS Plus release, but that's exciting and will make me more likely to try it out sometime.

I'm not really the intended audience for these Dark Souls style games where dying seems to be as vital an experience in the game as walking and slashing a sword, so I may side with you on this one. I don't mind games being challenging, but the style isn't really what I look for. After years of playing sandbox games nothing really beats the open atmosphere and freedom of choice in non-linear games, so when I go back to linear games I feel overly restricted. This isn't always the case, as I adored Uncharted 4 for instance, but I'm very much a non-linear player. Like to have the freedom to do what I want when I want, to explore and really experience a world. That's more of what I'm looking for these days.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Well I am glad I was indecisive about buying Elite Dangerous as I have just bought the game on Xbox Live limited time deal for £8. Love the old Elite game on the Amiga, going to be fun travelling through space, I named my first ship Enterprise.
    Nintendo needs to make more of: Metroid, F-Zero, and Star Fox. 3 of my favorite series.
    @FoxRox, a new Metroid is coming for the Switch, no? With a new Zelda and Mario already under their belt, I can't see Nintendo skipping out on a new gen Star Fox as well, especially since their Wii U titles seemed to leave much to be desired.
    We’ll see. I sure hope so.
    Metroid Prime 4 is coming to Switch at some point, assuming they have a developer locked in.
    The Witcher 3

With both DLC's now fully complete, it's time to get that Platinum with a Death March playthrough. I'm currently on my way to Velen (the only optional stuff I'll be doing is Places of Power/the side quests required for the one missable trophy I forgot about the first time around), and while it's not as tough as I had expected, it's definitely not a walk in the park, either.
    Fallout 4 and Far Harbor dlc. I also started a new save with different character, so my character could be bad, whe I reach the point I can visit Nuka World.