Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

I miss Collect-a-thons. :(

That’s why I keep my N64 + games around.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,812
    God of War
    god-of-war_td04-605x300.jpg

I'm roughly about five or six hours into the game and it's been great so far. I've only played half of the first game and only about fifteen or so minutes of another. So I can't really compare this one to them but from my understanding this one is vastly different. I can say that I'm not lost or confused by the story. From what I hear this game is about 30+ hours. I think that includes all the side quest stuff.
    I wish I could play that, I've got fond memories of the old ones on PS2, but I bought an Xbox this time round.

I think whenever the PS5 comes out and makes the PS4 cheaper then I'll get a secondhand one to play the games on there I've missed. Need to play Uncharted 4 if nothing else because I loved the first three.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    God of War
    god-of-war_td04-605x300.jpg

I'm roughly about five or six hours into the game and it's been great so far. I've only played half of the first game and only about fifteen or so minutes of another. So I can't really compare this one to them but from my understanding this one is vastly different. I can say that I'm not lost or confused by the story. From what I hear this game is about 30+ hours. I think that includes all the side quest stuff.

Reviews I've read suggest the campaign is at least 20 hours.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have my copy God Of War, but it is in my 'owned but not yet played' pile. I am juggling too many game at the moment. I recently restarted Horizon: Zero Dawn, because I hadn't played it for months. The praise being heaped on God Of War, must surely bode well for the argument in favour of single player, story driven games. Given how some in the industry believe that there is no place in the medium the for those type of games.
    Destroy All Humans and Destroy All Humans!2

Funny parody games from the ps2 era. The first one is 1950's ufo communist paranoia parody and it even has Plan 9 From Outer Space as an extra. The second one is full on spy parody in the vein of N.O.L.F. games, with James Bond references galore. The second one is from 2005, so it even has a reference to Daniel Craig, when you scan one of the british spies in the game.

"Daniel, who?"

Great memories.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,078
    What do you think Retro Studios is working on? Been over 4 years since Tropical Freeze and still no announcement for their next title. Almost as secretive as EON, lol.

I personally think it could be a new 3D DK game in the style of Mario Odyssey. I suppose we will hear something at this coming E3, hopefully.
    I’ve sort of lost hope with Retro. They have been taking way too long with literally no updates. If we get something, great. But I’m not holding my breath about it anymore.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’ve sort of lost hope with Retro. They have been taking way too long with literally no updates. If we get something, great. But I’m not holding my breath about it anymore.

What would you like to see from them, ideally?
    FoxRox wrote: »

What would you like to see from them, ideally?

I’ve always wanted them to get a crack at the next Star Fox. A 3D Donkey Kong or F-Zero revival would also be great.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    In a previous post, I mentioned how the Vagabond was locked up in the Pillory, rendering the quest he gives you now useless. I had put him out of mind and continued on. Well I found myself in need of a Tailor, and not far from Rattay, so I went to the Tailor there. I saw the Vagabond still in the Pillory, and approached him on the off chance. Turns out, in one of the recent updates, they have fixed it so that talking to him completes the quest. However, the Rattay Miller, Miller Pershek has disappeared (other people have reported the same problem), meaning that if I am in the vicinity of Rattay, I can't offload my stolen goods for Groshen (coin). I will have to go to another Miller.
    I'm waiting for a new 007 game or Splinter Cell game so I can start playing games again.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mazouni wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a new 007 game or Splinter Cell game so I can start playing games again.

I think we'll be getting a new Splinter Cell this year, perhaps some remastered versions (or at least backwards compatible) of the older games too.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I think we'll be getting a new Splinter Cell this year, perhaps some remastered versions (or at least backwards compatible) of the older games too.

I sure hope so. Playing Splinter Cell reminds me of James Bond games a lot for some odd reason.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I sure hope so. Playing Splinter Cell reminds me of James Bond games a lot for some odd reason.

Pretty much every installment in the series I played, I enjoyed. That first installment was one incredible, well done game, wouldn't mind getting to play that one again!
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 235

Pretty much every installment in the series I played, I enjoyed. That first installment was one incredible, well done game, wouldn't mind getting to play that one again!

Well I thought first 4 games were awesome. Conviction and Blacklist kinda sucked sadly. I remember going to the store when Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow first came out and I asked the guy whats out there like 007? he told me Splinter Cell is awesome that's like 007 and I got hooked on it and that was 14 years ago.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Started replaying Conviction on Xbox One backward compatibility I never did clear it, lost my saves so started again, Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow were awesome games.
    I never got to play Conviction (didn't and don't have a XBX360), the other 5 I liked them all. Blacklist really doesn't deserve the hatred it gets, it is the OHMSS of Splinter Cell games. A few years back, The Rageholic did a retrospective on the series:

Considering its age (nearly 20 years old!), the original game has graphically held up quite well, not perfect. Pandora Tomorrow is my overall favourite, but it is impossible to overlook the improvements in Chaos Theory over its predecessors. Re-remasters of the original 4, for the present generation of consoles would be welcome.
    I never got to play Conviction (didn't and don't have a XBX360), the other 5 I liked them all. Blacklist really doesn't deserve the hatred it gets, it is the OHMSS of Splinter Cell games. A few years back, The Rageholic did a retrospective on the series:

Considering its age (nearly 20 years old!), the original game has graphically held up quite well, not perfect. Pandora Tomorrow is my overall favourite, but it is impossible to overlook the improvements in Chaos Theory over its predecessors. Re-remasters of the original 4, for the present generation of consoles would be welcome.

Very cool, my favorite Splinter Cell game is Chaos Theory.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Double Agent has always been my personal favorite. Lots of hours of frustration but damn the puzzles and the gadgets that you had plus working for both sides had me hooked for months.
    Double Agent has always been my personal favorite. Lots of hours of frustration but damn the puzzles and the gadgets that you had plus working for both sides had me hooked for months.
    What version of Double Agent did you play?

I can understand that. But dammit, I need my espionage fix. No Bond. No Fisher. No Sterling. No Archer. Pity I don't like COD, as I would be on cloud 9.

I can understand that. But dammit, I need my espionage fix. No Bond. No Fisher. No Sterling. No Archer. Pity I don't like COD, as I would be on cloud 9.

Sorry I don't understand.

I'm complaining about the fate of the espionage genre in gaming. Bond is self explanatory. Fisher showed up as an NPC in one mission of Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and may or may not have another Splinter Cell game in the pipeline. Andrew Sterling appeared in only one game, Cold Winter, which I would kill for to see a new game. And the rights to Kate Archer (The Operative: No One Lives Forever & No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M's Way) are caught up in a tangled mess.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

I think he meant that the spy fiction among video games should become trendy, again.

Also, Major, I know you require a good bit of a follow-up to Cold Winter, don't you, old chap? ;)
    edited May 2018 Posts: 13,894

I think he meant that the spy fiction among video games should become trendy, again.

Also, Major, I know you require a good bit of a follow-up to Cold Winter, don't you, old chap? ;)

I do. There has to be a deadly new threat to the world, one that only a hard as nails ex-SAS, ex-MI6 Agent can sort out.

I do. There has to be a deadly new threat to the world, one that only a hard as nails ex-SAS, ex-MI6 Agent can sort out.
    Now that I think about it, bringing John Stratton to video games wouldn't be a bad idea, at all. He's SBS and somewhat MI-6, but he definitely fits the profile. Wouldn't you say?
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 235

I'd love spy fiction games to be out more often but hate to break it to you spy games are not everyone cup of tea. The reason nobody has made them in so long is because nobody really enjoys those kind of games. Everyone likes these FPS games such as COD and Halo.

Now that I think about it, bringing John Stratton to video games wouldn't be a bad idea, at all. He's SBS and somewhat MI-6, but he definitely fits the profile. Wouldn't you say?

And get Dominic Cooper involved. Whatever problems I had with the film, Cooper was certainly not one of them. I have only read the first 5 books, and while Cooper looked nothing like how I saw Stratton in my head, Cooper nailed the attitude of the character. It's not like we will be seeing a new Stratton film (or book for that matter), anytime soon, anyway.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423

I'd love spy fiction games to be out more often but hate to break it to you spy games are not everyone cup of tea. The reason nobody has made them in so long is because nobody really enjoys those kind of games. Everyone likes these FPS games such as COD and Halo.
    That's true, yes. The mainstream audience want shoot-em-up COD/Battlefield type of games, and now Fortnite joining that league, you can't have intellectual stories with spies starring them, anymore. There have been attempts, but none of them were as successful as, let's just say, Hitman. But, that one is successful because of its brand name. Metal Gear Solid V (both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Rain) also proved to be very successful. These are also in a way spy games.

You can make spy fiction-oriented games on condition they'd either be First-Person or Third-Person Shooters. If I were in charge, however, I wouldn't make an embarrassing shoot-em-up game where you walk to a room, the doors close, 20 enemies emerge, you gun them down, your health regenerates, the next stage door opens, you proceed and repeat the same. We've had that with GoldenEye: Rogue Agent and that's why it didn't receive any prominent ground. The Splinter Cell, Hitman (minus Absolution) and No One Lives Forever franchises delivered the best spy video games to date, even better than the EA-produced Bonds.

And get Dominic Cooper involved. Whatever problems I had with the film, Cooper was certainly not one of them. I have only read the first 5 books, and while Cooper looked nothing like how I saw Stratton in my head, Cooper nailed the attitude of the character. It's not like we will be seeing a new Stratton film (or book for that matter), anytime soon, anyway.
    My thoughts exactly, Major. Dominic Cooper's take on Stratton was excellent. I'd like him to reprise his role in video games while having those entries adapting the books in a manner and making them seem like well-interactive enough to be playable as video games, balancing between action and stealth.