Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• Huh, I never checked this out after starting on, then abandoning Scream Queens. But I might try out a few episodes on your recommendation.
    That's positive in the sense it's continuing, I think Scream was almost cancelled after S2 a new cast after two seasons going forward will give it longevity.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They might even connect the killers and do a season where the characters of seasons 1 & 2 and 3 meet to die as one. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Nearly done the first season of HBO's 'Oz' and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a bit dated compared to what I'm used to regarding television shows, but it's got some great pacing, even if it's all a bit quirky and weird at times.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sonisall & I are nearing the end of season one of Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex, and I have to say this is among the VERY best of the best anime I've ever seen. The animation is good however there's lots better out there- but the writing & characterizations are off the hook! HEAVILY recommended.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @chrisisall, have you seen the new (live-action) film?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'll rent it. Peeps I trust tell me that while Scarlett is perfect for the role and the action is great, the writing is dumbed-down for 'general audiences'. And that's the BEST part of the anime we're watching...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'll rent it. Peeps I trust tell me that while Scarlett is perfect for the role and the action is great, the writing is dumbed-down for 'general audiences'. And that's the BEST part of the anime we're watching...

I've heard that too, but isn't that the way with everything now? I think the filmmakers were worried that the Japanese storytelling of the anime wouldn't translate well in the west, which is somewhat offensive to us, no? Kind of like how LTK had the title change because people thought we wouldn't understand what the word "revoked" meant. There's a massive niche market of Americans that love the original animes with their unabridged stories, so I think we're a lot smarter than people give us credit for and we would be able to consume even the most asian styled story with all its unique flourishes.
    There's a massive niche market of Americans that love the original animes with their unabridged stories, so I think we're a lot smarter than people give us credit for and we would be able to consume even the most asian styled story with all its unique flourishes.
    Yep. This new flick will certainly be enjoyable on a simple level, but nothing like the anime.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Sonisall & I are nearing the end of season one of Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex, and I have to say this is among the VERY best of the best anime I've ever seen. The animation is good however there's lots better out there- but the writing & characterizations are off the hook! HEAVILY recommended.

Amazing show. My favorite anime series, alongside Cowboy Bebop. While I personally prefer the first season ever so slightly, the second season is every bit just as good. I actually like Stand Alone Complex even more than the '95 film, and I like the '95 film quite a lot. I'm looking into the original manga at the moment, and at least as far as the artwork goes, it appears to have more of a cartoonish and comedic quality to it. Stand Alone Complex, especially with the Tachikomas, would appear to land halfway between the manga and the film in look and tone. However, I've heard the manga is quite philosophical and intellectual all the same.

Also I just saw Solid State Society, a film continuation of Stand Alone Complex. Not essential viewing—it's not quite as good as the best parts of the series in my opinion—but worth looking into if you crave more after Season 2.
    Iron Fist struggling my way through this show, it really is naff.
    Took advantage of my vacations to catch up on my TV show viewing. So, in addtion to Agents of SHIELD, Elementary (they ended the season two episodes early), NCIS, Hawaii 5-0 and CSI : Miami (taking advantage of a repeat to catch the episodes I didn't see during the first airing), I watched three Doctor Who adventures ("The Hand of Fear", "The Deadly Assassin" and "The Face of Evil"), the series Class, and the last episode of Sherlock.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Oz'

Close to finishing the series finale, and it's bittersweet, simply because it's probably one of the greatest shows I've ever had the joy of watching. Some of the best pacing I've seen from a show - no filler, everything matters, something impactful or exciting always going on. Loved it.

Amazing show. My favorite anime series, alongside Cowboy Bebop. While I personally prefer the first season ever so slightly, the second season is every bit just as good. I actually like Stand Alone Complex even more than the '95 film, and I like the '95 film quite a lot. I'm looking into the original manga at the moment, and at least as far as the artwork goes, it appears to have more of a cartoonish and comedic quality to it. Stand Alone Complex, especially with the Tachikomas, would appear to land halfway between the manga and the film in look and tone. However, I've heard the manga is quite philosophical and intellectual all the same.

Also I just saw Solid State Society, a film continuation of Stand Alone Complex. Not essential viewing—it's not quite as good as the best parts of the series in my opinion—but worth looking into if you crave more after Season 2.

Thanks SKOH! :)>-
    @chrisisall, are you aware of The Expanse, a show on Syfy? I'm not big into the genre but it's been billed as a smart and advanced technical wonder following a group facing the trials of space. You and your son might find it to your liking, if you like Trek.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Yup! Interested to hear how Season 2 compares to Season 1 for you if you keep on.
    @chrisisall, are you aware of The Expanse, a show on Syfy? I'm not big into the genre but it's been billed as a smart and advanced technical wonder following a group facing the trials of space. You and your son might find it to your liking, if you like Trek.

I must check that out. Thanks Brady!

Yup! Interested to hear how Season 2 compares to Season 1 for you if you keep on.

If we keep on?? I BOUGHT the second season already!!!
  • chrisisall wrote: »

If we keep on?? I BOUGHT the second season already!!!

Sweet, enjoy! Lotta good stuff ahead!
    Homeland finale!

Never fails to disappoint me, really curious as to where they will take it come the new season next year? :-?
    Torchwood series 1 - Captain Jack Harkness and his band of merry men and women are the last line of defense against alien incursions and gather all kinds of alien toys and whatsnots. A fun and sometimes more adult approach to the world of Doctor Who.
    It's no DareDevil, that's for sure- but if you keep up with it, it does get pretty good, and there are some unexpected character plot twists.

I've never known anything about the Iron Fist character, so this served as a great intro.
    I like Danny a lot- having grown up on K'un-Lun he's so nice and trusting that he comes off as completely naive, but he's completely genuine. It's a nice 'fish out of water' scenario in the mean streets of NY

To be honest the only thing I would really change is this: what we saw should have been season two! It would've been cool if all of season one took place on K'un-Lun and the cliffhanger was him arriving in New York. Then we could have gone heavy on the action! To be fair, out of all the Netflix shows Iron Fist is heaviest on the bland boardroom, white caller 'talky scenes'

Iron Fist does deserve some credit though for giving me this gif:

wardflipsthebird.gif

;)
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    It's no DareDevil, that's for sure- but if you keep up with it, it does get pretty good, and there are some unexpected character plot twists.

I've never known anything about the Iron Fist character, so this served as a great intro.
    I like Danny a lot- having grown up on K'un-Lun he's so nice and trusting that he comes off as completely naive, but he's completely genuine. It's a nice 'fish out of water' scenario in the mean streets of NY

To be honest the only thing I would really change is this: what we saw should have been season two! It would've been cool if all of season one took place on K'un-Lun and the cliffhanger was him arriving in New York. Then we could have gone heavy on the action! To be fair, out of all the Netflix shows Iron Fist is heaviest on the bland boardroom, white caller 'talky scenes'

Iron Fist does deserve some credit though for giving me this gif:

wardflipsthebird.gif

;)

Only just finished episode four though it seems I have watched far more episodes, I have read you could literally skip the first six episodes I'll stick with it. My issue is the casting of Iron Fist main character find him week and not a particularly good actor, also some of the fight choreography is off upto now.

I enjoyed Jessica Jones and Luke Cage got into both shows, hate to admit I have only watched the first few episodes of season one of DareDevil, I need to binge watch that even more so as I have it in 4k.
    @fire_and_ice, slog through Fist and Daredevil seasons 1 & 2 should be a great palate cleanser for you. Fisk and Frank Castle in their respective seasons are utterly captivating once you stick through and see how their stories develop. Matt Murdock is also a great central character, and the show actually portrays him struggling to keep hold of his Catholic faith while being faced with the crime of Hell's Kitchen that makes him doubt the good in anything. Great, great stuff.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I'll watch a few DD episodes today and try and get some traction with the show, I kind of forgot about it due to having way too many other shows on my watchlist we are spoilt with content on streaming services. I am interested to see how Elektra and Punisher fit into DD.
    That's funny that you mentioned that @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 because after Iron Fist I actually did rewatch S2 of DareDevil!

And speaking of, @fire_and_ice, without spoiling too much, certain characters we were introduced to in previous shows play a big Hand in Iron Fist
    (see what I did there? HA!)

Back to DareDevil though, I almost felt bad for Charlie Cox because as awesome as S1 was, throughout S2 I was looking forward to the next Frank Castle appearance the whole time! I honestly believe I'll bingewatch the whole Punisher show in one day when it comes out later this year. Perfect casting!
    The only thing keeping S2 from being PERFECT, was the simple fact that it should have been all about Castle- Electra (and possibly Bullseye) should have been saved for later.
    @Master_Dahark, I hope we still get Bullseye in season 3, and see the Frank Miller comic arc recreated in live-action where Daredevil plays Russian roulette with Bullseye as he lies in a hospital bed. There's no way they can avoid that one, right?

I think that post-Defenders they're really going to take Matt to hell, and do the story we know they're leading up to that defines him as a man of tragedy. And boy is it going to hurt.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    There was a rumour once about Jason Statham in line to play Bullseye in Daredevil Season 2. I wonder if that's still keen to be materialized.

I also think The Defenders will have some sort of storyline inspired by the Shadowland series of comics, as Brady mentioned.
    @ClarkDevlin, was the Statham thing a rumor, or a true development? He'd be interesting, I just want to see the idea executed properly. They could have Bullseye as a sort of disgraced ex-military sniper who is a master at ricocheting bullets and/or gauging wind on the fly to hit his targets perfectly. Just to ground the character in this universe a bit more. I think it'd be fascinating to see him and Matt go head to head, where each man uses their environment to bounce their weapons of defense against one another.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't remember exactly, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but remember reading too many articles about Statham's "involvement", unaware whether it was real or not. Must've been real. At the time, I was skeptical about it, saying Statham is too expensive for a TV Series project, but that proved me wrong about other big name actors later on.

However, there was also a conflict with Statham and Marvel when he slammed Daredevil's action sequences, saying "my grandma can do it." I don't think they'll ever hire him. But, never say never.

http://screencrush.com/daredevil-season-2-jason-statham-bullseye-out/

And love your iteration of the character. I could imagine that kind of Bullseye going toe to toe with The Punisher as well. Imagine the cockfight.