Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

The Persuaders !

In honour of Sir Roger.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Has anyone checked out the new (and final) season of 'Bloodline' yet? About to watch the provided recap and fire it up.
    Nearing the end of Blindspot season 1, well entertaining.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 17,295
    Maigret's Night at the Crossroads.
    Don't really know how to categorize Maigret, as it's listed as a tv series on Wikipedia, and tv movies on IMDB. Went for the former in this case.

Maigret's Night at the Crossroads is the most recent feature in this series, with Rowan Atkinson in the title role. With no former knowledge of the literary character to compare with, I quite like Atkinson in this. Nice to see him in a so very different role. As with most period dramas these days, Maigret is a good production with Budapest standing in for 1950's Paris. I have a soft spot for crime dramas set in the 50's/60's, so Maigret suits my preference very well.

I can't stop thinking about 'Allo 'Allo! when you have British actors playing French characters, but it doesn't bring me completely away from the story, which isn't at all bad. A bit slow in places, but I don't mind. Cant find any information on when the next Maigret episode/tv movie will air, but it looks like it will be sometime this year.
    Finished the third and final season of 'Bloodline' last night. A great premise and some incredible award-worthy acting from a terrific cast sadly couldn't save what was an overall dull, half-assed, rushed ending for the series. Open-ended plot elements and storylines lead way to an uninspired cliffhanger. Spend your time with a different show.

Time to start the new season of 'House of Cards.'
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I've just started watching my 'The Sopranos' box sets. I bought them when they were first made available and haven't seen them for some years.
    stag wrote: »
    I've just started watching my 'The Sopranos' box sets. I bought them when they were first made available and haven't seen them for some years.

I started it for the very first time a few weeks back but got sidetracked and didn't make it through much. I think once this new season of 'House of Cards' is finished I'll move back to working through that show.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Nearing the end of Blindspot season 1, well entertaining.

Upto episode 18 of Season 1 myself it's a decent show taken me six months to get this far, Season 2 is just about or has been removed from Sky so I will probably have a long wait to watch that.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I started watching the office (us)
    It's super funny. I'll probably get around to the British one at some point. Also house of cards 5 is now here though I haven't started watching it yet
    I started watching the office (us)
    It's super funny. I'll probably get around to the British one at some point. Also house of cards 5 is now here though I haven't started watching it yet

It's incredible so far, I'm flying through it. One of the few times where the changing of showrunners manages to make a show feel great and fresh - most of the times, I feel a show goes downhill when a new one takes over, but thankfully that isn't the case.
    Started Jessica Jones, quite the adult approach to the world of Marvel.
  • Designated Survivor
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 17,295
    The Same Sky
    Stumbled upon this German series a few days ago, and took the time to catch the first two episodes tonight. Set in the 70's, the series follow an East German spy, Lars Weber and his task to seduce and then spy on Lauren Faber - his female target in the West, as well as their lives on opposite sides in Berlin.

Quite liked the first episodes, good balance between low key drama, and spy elements. With Sofia Helin playing Weber's target, the series has a Nordic Noir-feel to it, as well. The Same Sky is well produced, with suitable brown-ish 70's scheme - as you would expect from a series set in that period.

Will be catching the next episodes as soon as they're available to stream.
    Two discs into the fifth season of The Simpsons. Only half-way through, I'm pretty sure this season is already my favorite; nearly every episode has been a total hit. Great stuff.
    Netflix just got season 3 of The Flash! Time to catch up!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Flash
    Series 3, Episode 23: Finish Line

Nice Pertwee era of Doctor Who reference from Cisco. The Dandy would approve.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Flash season 3 finale this season has been a mixed bag though enjoyable nonetheless, last several episode were batsh#t crazy.

Supergirl season 2 finale it's second year has been a slog with some very average episodes
    The Supergirl v Superman smackdown in the final episode was amusing. Supermans line to Supergirl 'i was at full strength and you beat me' this Superman is lame.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Count Arthur Strong - BBC1 - vey amusing sit-com about a wobbly Vaudevillian who can't help getting into trouble. Love this show, but after two episodes there is a hiatus until the 16th June due to some election or something that's happening in the UK!
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 17,295
    Just finished season two of Aquarius.
    OK first season, and OK-ish second season, ending with a cliffhanger as it got cancelled. Probably expected a bit more from this show, but it was decent enough to spend time on. Compared to other 1960's period cop dramas, this doesn't rank among the highest, but it had some good cinematography and some cool Hollywood/California settings.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Been watching the first five seasons of Burn Notice just for fun.

Won't proceed to the last two. Gotta admit, the show dropped my interest in it once Anson showed up. It's evident.
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Season 2 is so bad that my patience with the show has run out.
    Still compared to Season 3, it's a solid spy thriller. ;)
    Yeah, I heard about Season 3. Napoleon dances with a gorilla?
    Robertson wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard about Season 3. Napoleon dances with a gorilla?
    Hahaha, don't even go there, mate. :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Been watching the first five seasons of Burn Notice just for fun.

Won't proceed to the last two. Gotta admit, the show dropped my interest in it once Anson showed up. It's evident.

@ClarkDevlin, funnily enough I caught a random Burn Notice episode this morning, where Anson's conflict with Michael is very present. That's around the time the show lost me, too. You can only watch so many episodes and see so many men who burned Michael before you just don't care anymore and literally and figuratively lose the plot. It's clear the writers didn't have a clear plan beyond a few seasons of the show about where they wanted to take it and instead of ending the show on a high, they kept padding it by throwing more implausible things at Michael, and always made it seem like the guy he was after wasn't really the guy he wanted, it was another guy and another guy, and on and on and on. Like a Russian nesting doll, there was always another person Michael had to get, and it felt never ending. It comes off as audience trickery and because the show isn't interesting enough, it falls limp.

I applaud those who made it through the entire run, really I do.
    I agree, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. The last two seasons made me feel distinguishly disappointed I felt frustrated with them both. The plot points gotten tiresome and the drama was overdone. To tell you the truth, James Kendrick, the head villain of this worldwide threatening organization didn't seem big at all, or even threatening if you will. He seemed like a poor man's Raoul Silva with no coherent structure to his so-called reputation. I mean, seriously, after facing The Management, did we hold this guy as the big bad villain?

Michael's characterization also falls flat as he becomes someone completely unrecognizable in the last two seasons, often throwing tantrums and heading towards the wrong choices like a spoiled kid in the middle of a dangerous situation disobeying his parents. Whatever happened to the veteran operative who put logistics first and emotions last?

Sam Axe remained my favourite character in it after Michael had his downfall since Season 6. Too many unreasonable turnouts I seriously thought I was wasting my time with this. This is my first marathon of it since the show's closure four years ago. I was already feeling the loss of my interest right after Anson's arrival and ever-as-annoying Larry's unwanted presence. Once or twice was enough.

The show could have gone through a lot had they followed the formula of the first two seasons with the team helping people. Jesse Porter, while disliked by some, I felt was a great addition to the series. It could have been more. A lot more, had they embraced the more fun side of the show rather than the "dark emotional" pattern without the budget cuts. It could have been The A-Team with spies, but didn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, you're obviously a bigger fan of the show than I ever was. I had minor interest, and I think I'd watch it casually whenever it was on USA, and maybe even caught some of it regularly. But there just wasn't much there for me, really, and the show became why I don't like most American TV. The writers take these stories and pack them with filler that distracts from the stuff we want to see. Instead of Michael accomplishing part of a personal mission that's interesting, we have to watch him help another random, shoehorned character, or worse, a character from the past that's badly written back in. The writing is the expected, cliche ridden stuff you'd expect, where Michael is given a file and a bunch of babble to explain who the "villain" is, which is most of the story we're given on them, if we get any.

Because so much of my favorite TV is compacted into shorter seasons, a lot of them being British or Irish TV, I really can't watch shows anymore that have 20 plus episode seasons. Half the episodes end up being poor or just okay, when the writers could whittle the stories down to a great 13 to 16 in a way that wouldn't annoy audiences.

I think Burn Notice would've worked well as a show with 15 episodes a season, where things could be focused more. Less of Michael feeling like he was never getting any answers, and more of him actually making progress. You wouldn't tire viewers out who try to keep up with the convoluted mess of a plot, and you could develop stronger arcs that didn't revolve around padding or lazy plotting. It became clear that the budget was an issue in later seasons especially, and they could've saved a lot of money by cutting back and only shooting essential material for the show, that emphasized the strongest aspects of it.
    You hit the nail right on the head, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I've no further additions to this. You explained it all perfectly.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 17,295
    Never got into Burn Notice myself, either - which is strange, as it's a kind of show I would usually like. The same with Covert Affairs. Both shows felt a bit flat to me.

Another show that could have ended up in that category, is The Blacklist. Never cared too much for the pilot, but as the show had a few episodes under it's belt, I quite liked it. Have yet to see the two latest seasons, so how the show has developed, I wouldn't know.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Avatar: The Last Airbender - Season 1- Book of Water
    130086340_largethumb.jpg

Just finished the first season last night. I never thought I would like this show as much as I do. It's a really cool concept and story. Some of the humor is great too. I'm looking forward to the second and third seasons and to starting The Legend of Korra.
    I would like to see this series rebooted in a more mature style. With a less kid friendly vibe and maybe more violence/blood and a serious tone. We'll probably never get that but still, it would be cool.