The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• edited September 2016 Posts: 3,564
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    The alleged Comte was outed as @scaramanga12 --
    Provide evidence for your claim, foul debaser. Be truthful or begone. :)

Or are we allowed to surmise on appearances only when it suits you?

Well it's flattering to see that so many of you out there find it worthwhile to quote me. I'll try to remain worthy of the honor.

As the Count himself chooses not to dispute my assertion, I think we'll leave the matter where it is. My truthfulness remains unchallenged. In fact, here are a few more truths I'm willing to reveal:

I generally tend to follow suit whenever possible. Keep this in mind if you ever find yourself across from me at a card table. If you lead with Hearts, I will happily play a Heart; if you choose to use a Club you'll likely get a full ration of my Clubs. Therefore, if you ever feel I'm taking a hostile tack in a conversation on this forum you'd be well advised to consider this Truth when wondering why.

Additionally, on the topic of "alcohol problems": please be advised that I lost a loved one more than a decade ago due to alcoholism. It's not a topic that I take lightly; moreover, it is one that I have studied quite seriously while striving to deal with its effects in my own life. It is not a laughing matter. It is a leading cause of premature death in this society. I'm quite sure that Hillary Clinton is not an alcoholic; George W. Bush, on the other hand, is a self-admitted alcoholic. He claims to have stopped the habit of his own volition before entering politics without submitting to any program such as AA...however, when reading literature FROM that group (and entirely without any mention of GWB) I ran across passages to the effect that any alcoholic simply quitting the sauce cold turkey, without going through the steps advised by that worthy program, still remained a danger to themselves and others. Such people were described by the literature of AA as "dry drunks."

Sonofagun, I said to myself at the time. The President of the USA is a dry drunk. No wonder we're bogged down in Iraq!

So anyway, I'll try to come back a little later this evening with a little more on our current status in what is finally starting to be called "The Fact-Free Election" -- but, please folks, let's have a little more regard for The Truth, and realize that we are all entitled to our own opinions -- but neither we nor The Donald are entitled to our own FACTS.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,296
    I wasn't trying to play a Club. It seemed like you just didn't like what I had to say.

I don't take alcoholism lightly either, I have friends and family with problems in this area. I still maintain we should be able to discuss any unpleasant possibilities for Clinton's health, and it's hard to know anything for certain since she is so private about it. Obviously there are other important things to discuss as well, I wasn't trying to spark a Fox News sideshow. Let\s be friends now.
    Beatles, we are holding our breath until you return to tell us more.
    By the way, the Count acutally did deny he was Scaramanga in the guess the character thread, so I believe him and not you since you provided no proof. But let's move on, we are gasping at straws at this point.

I have a lot of truths about myself as well I want to reveal, but you will get ot know them eventually.
    Oh goodness, we are blessed. So much to look forward to.
  • He hasn't denied it here and he didn't deny it in the "Challenge the Count" thread two weeks ago which is the one I was talking about. I haven't been following the "Guess the Character" thread. Do you REALLY want to keep bringing this matter up? Even though the Count himself has stated a preference for letting the issue drop? I'm trying to play nice here...

And speaking of things you probably don't want to keep bringing up: Clinton's health is one of them. Her doctor said it was pneumonia, she took a few days off. Big deal (not.) Let's see how she does over the next few days on the campaign trail before we start leaping to any extreme positions regarding her health. And speaking of extreme positions: How about Trump Jr. stating that they aren't going to release his taxes because it would just lead to more people asking more questions? Now THIS is a matter that actually should have some bearing on the campaign! Suggestions making the rounds have to do with the amount of Russian and Chinese debt that Trump is working under. Do you REALLY want a President who could be foreclosed on by Russia at any moment? And regarding Hillary's penchant for privacy: look, she has without a doubt been the most investigated person in America over the last twenty-five years or so. May I point out: her tormentors haven't found anything to charge her with yet. But don't worry, they'll keep the (fruitless) investigations going... If any of us had to bear up under that sort of treatment, I suspect we'd be a little touchy on the subject of privacy as well.

@GL: I'm not sure what sort of telling you're holding your breath for. I've got a screed building up in me regarding the difference between objective truth and the opinions that we try to pretend are truth...like Donald trying to pretend that he hasn't been the nation's #1 "Truther" regarding the issue of Obama's citizenship for the past 8 years. Finally, the media sounds like they're not sitting still for that one. We'll see. If you really can't wait for more on this particular topic -- that is, Donald's difficult relationship with the concept of objective truth -- just google The Rude Pundit and check out his most recent blog. Or any of his blogs, really, they're screamingly funny...as long as you can handle some salty language and saltier concepts.

• edited September 2016 Posts: 1,469
    A new Los Angeles Times-USC Dornsife poll shows Trump leading Clinton nationally 47% to 41%. But of course Clinton leads in other polls and still has the advantage with the Electoral College.

Just saw a new story on the Matt Lauer interviews with Clinton and Trump, with sources saying "Matt was hung out to dry on this", and the person who was really controlling the interview with Clinton, including focusing on her email scandal, was NBC News and MSNBC chairman Andrew Lack.

It amazes me that, 7 1/2 years into the Obama presidency, his birth certificate is still in the news, but who better to milk it for all it's worth and for as long as he can but Trump. It's my view that Trump does have a legitimate beef against Clinton for her "basket of deplorables" comment, though I don't know how much longer he can milk that. I voted for Obama, but she shouldn't have lumped the vast number of hard-working, tax-paying, patriotic Republicans in with the fewer number of crazies who support Trump. A lot of Americans just want change, and are willing to risk it with Trump, rather than suffer what could be a third "Obama" term.

http://pagesix.com/2016/09/15/lauers-botched-presidential-interviews-may-not-have-been-his-fault/?_ga=1.70902032.1047916842.1474097621
    http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/
    Yes, I would prefer a president, who doesn't want war with Russia. There is a nice interview in German with Putin, who speaks German rather fluently, who asks questions, we all should ask ourselves in the first place. I post it as it is. Who is interested, can have it translated. This is, of course, just a soundbite of many issues, that should question ANY right and honesty to do, what the NATO and co are trying to do.
    http://www.neopresse.com/politik/putin-gibt-hoeflich-seiner-verwunderung-ueber-die-westliche-bloedheit-ausdruck/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Trump having foreign debt is hardly a matter, is it? What about the US?
    Trump having foreign debt is hardly a matter, is it? What about the US?

Don't you dare to piss on the parade of our friends here with logic or facts.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks for the post @Germanlady. John Mickelthwaite is the ex-managing editor of The Economist magazine (now with Bloomberg) and is good interviewer. I already watched his synopsis of this conversation with Putin a week ago on Charlie Rose.

There's no point in really trying to make your case here. Minds are already made up. So all we can do really is have a little bit of fun with it.

Trump's hair is real. He hasn't fainted yet. These are key 'facts' for some voters. Foreign policy? I doubt many could point out the Baltic states on a map, let alone 'Aleppo'.
    The sad truth to me is - there are some here, who are intelligent and well read and still not able to look behind, what they are fed. That really is the tragedy.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I hear you. C'est la vie in the world of American politics. The conversation has been dumbed down, radicalized and polarized for years, and this is why there is gridlock and red / blue America. Now there is a third element allegedly: 'deplorable' America.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    I hear you. C'est la vie in the world of American politics. The conversation has been dumbed down, radicalized and polarized for years, and this is why there is gridlock and red / blue America. Now there is a third element allegedly: 'deplorable' America.
    Divide & conquer is an old strategy that always works.
    Politics in the US is like War. It's not healthy. Compromise is a lost term and art.
    Actually its not different in any other country. Its a global problem and will remain one until people more and more wake up and realise, they are all puppets and change track.
  • Trump having foreign debt is hardly a matter, is it? What about the US?

It's an issue because Trump's standard policy is to declare bankruptcy in order to paying off his debts. He's already done it several times. It's why US banks won't lend him any more money and why he's had to get $$$ from Russia, Trying the bankruptcy tactic to avoid paying Russia would be like trying it with the Mafia. You'll still get your legs broken, or worse. US debt to other countries is a different game from an individual's debt to foreign powers. I ask again: do you really want the US president heavily in debt, personally, to a foreign power?
    The US is so bankrupt, it doesn't matter, And BTW, the US wants war with Russia and YOU want the one, who will try to bring it forward, So - where is your problem? Its all good either way.
    The other one, Clinton, has been given money for "nothing" from other nations, for ezample huge sums from Norway as well as Saudi-Arabia. How is that any better?
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Thrasos wrote: »
    A new Los Angeles Times-USC Dornsife poll shows Trump leading Clinton nationally 47% to 41%. But of course Clinton leads in other polls and still has the advantage with the Electoral College.

Just saw a new story on the Matt Lauer interviews with Clinton and Trump, with sources saying "Matt was hung out to dry on this", and the person who was really controlling the interview with Clinton, including focusing on her email scandal, was NBC News and MSNBC chairman Andrew Lack.

It amazes me that, 7 1/2 years into the Obama presidency, his birth certificate is still in the news, but who better to milk it for all it's worth and for as long as he can but Trump. It's my view that Trump does have a legitimate beef against Clinton for her "basket of deplorables" comment, though I don't know how much longer he can milk that. I voted for Obama, but she shouldn't have lumped the vast number of hard-working, tax-paying, patriotic Republicans in with the fewer number of crazies who support Trump. A lot of Americans just want change, and are willing to risk it with Trump, rather than suffer what could be a third "Obama" term.

http://pagesix.com/2016/09/15/lauers-botched-presidential-interviews-may-not-have-been-his-fault/?_ga=1.70902032.1047916842.1474097621
    http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/

There's no question that the last week has been a hard one for Clinton. We need to remember that the news media NEEDS this to be a close race, otherwise they have no story and people stop watching the newscasts & reading the articles. Last week they turned on Clinton & her numbers went down, as of Friday they've turned on Trump again & I don't doubt the polls will respond in kind.

The "deplorables" comment was phrased poorly and Hillary's already walked it back but I think the "vast number of hard-working, tax-paying, patriotic Republicans" know she wasn't talking about them. She was quite clearly talking about the Ku Klux Klanners who've publicly endorsed Trump and whose support he has yet to refuse, the anti-semites whose hateful talking points he's posted online as if they were his own. Much of Trump's campaign has been based on hatred of Mexicans, Muslims, feminists and blacks. The people that respond to his bullhorning what the Republic party has traditionally merely dog-whistled; those are obviously the Deplorables that Hillary spoke of -- and if the hardworking etc.etc. If Republicans don't like being lumped in with the likes of these neofascists then they need to stop marching in Trump's parade.
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    The US is so bankrupt, it doesn't matter, And BTW, the US wants war with Russia and YOU want the one, who will try to bring it forward, So - where is your problem? Its all good either way.

You keep asserting that Hillary wants a war with Russia, but I have yet to see any proof on your part. Sorry, GL, but I don't believe it. Show me the smoking cannon.
  • The other one, Clinton, has been given money for "nothing" from other nations, for ezample huge sums from Norway as well as Saudi-Arabia. How is that any better?

If you're talking about donations to the Clinton Foundation, then that's gone for legitimate charity work, all fully documented -- quite unlike money that's gone to the Trump Foundation. If you're talking about fees paid to Bill or Hillary in past years for speeches given, please check back to my quote from Willie Brown a few weeks ago. The one that goes, "If you can't take their money, eat their food...(etc. etc.) then vote against them..." That one. These are different because they're not EXPECTED to be repaid in any but the standard favor-for-favor logrolling that IS the political system and has been since before any of us were born. Trump has BORROWED the money and is going to have to pay it back. Until then he's literally in hock to Putin. That's very different from Hillary's position with Norway.
    I hope the two metres high painted portrait of himself thatTrump spent some of the money on works out to his satisfaction.
    Its useless. The Canon is there and Smoking. And Hilary will continue in the same vain. Hence I am against her. Well, one of the reasons. There alte many and wie are flocking a dead horse.
    I recently read about a group of psychologists evaluating The Hillary and The Donald according to some board they have and it turns out they are both psychopaths.

I cannot remember where I read it, and I could be the Father of Lies for all you know, but the truth is they both scored just as high as Adolf Hitler and Jesus Christ.
  • I prefer to watch a good Sci-Fi movie, like "Interstellar" or "The Martian", or read a good Sci-Fi novel like "Seveneves" or "Rendez-Vous With Rama". Or watching the documentary "In The Shadow Of The Moon".

You know why? Because those are examples in which humanity is at its best, most positive, and very much enlightened.

I don't find that anymore in here.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm with you @Gustav_Graves.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    Seconded.
    I need to do a Bond marathon ASAP.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Seconded.
    I need to do a Bond marathon ASAP.
    I still need to finish mine. It's been a while.
    A lot of Americans just want change, and are willing to risk it with Trump, rather than suffer what could be a third "Obama" term.

How many Americans are you talking about? There are a lot of Americans who loathe the idea of Trump as our new president. And some are regretting that Obama is leaving office.
This discussion has been closed.