The things we want to return to the Bond movies.

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    They should start recycling titles with the new films as opposed to new ones like property of a lady or every bodies favorite : 007 in new york
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Birdleson wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Hear, hear! I wouldn't even mind if they changed the title later, a la FYEO/MR. Just give me the hope...

GOLDFINGER was also incorrect upon it's initial release and said that the next film would be ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE. It was changed upon the rerelease in 1965 (I believe that's the one my parents took me to when I was very young) to correctly say "THUNDERALL", which, at that point, was in production. That's the version that has been printed in all forms ever since.

I knew they had wanted to make OHMSS earlier with Connery, but I didn't realize that it was on the end credits of GF. That's very interesting.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd be more than happy with Property of a Lady, Risico and 007 in New York. Not so sure on the Hildebrand Rarity though.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd be more than happy with Property of a Lady, Risico and 007 in New York. Not so sure on the Hildebrand Rarity though.

You would prefer a Bond film called 007 in New York to The Hildebrand Rarity? I'd have to stretch my imagination very far to imagine a scenario where I'd be happy with a film called 007 in New York. The other Flemings I'm a fan of. I'd also like to see a Bond film called Everything or Nothing some day.

You would prefer a Bond film called 007 in New York to The Hildebrand Rarity? I'd have to stretch my imagination very far to imagine a scenario where I'd be happy with a film called 007 in New York. The other Flemings I'm a fan of. I'd also like to see a Bond film called Everything or Nothing some day.

Anytime I see the title 007 in New York mentioned as a potential future film title, I'm thinking the collection it came from THRILLING CITIES might be a better title........even though it is a bit bland. I still very much like The Property of a Lady and The Hildebrand Rarity.

I like 007 in New York. It sounds like a pulp novel title. It sticks with me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883

I'm not too keen on 007 in New York either to be honest. A bit pedestrian for a Bond film imho. I like Everything or Nothing better but the problem is we could all get confused here when discussing such film, given our predilection for acronyms (EON).

EDIT: I also would like the title of the next film during the end credits. A great tradition.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm not too keen on 007 in New York either to be honest. A bit pedestrian for a Bond film imho. I like Everything or Nothing better but the problem is we could all get confused here when discussing such film, given our predilection for acronyms (EON).

EDIT: I also would like the title of the next film during the end credits. A great tradition.

Not to mention getting the film confused with the documentary and the Bond video game by the same name. That said, I too like they way the title sounds.
    Everything or Nothing just fits with the philosophy heard in the songs "Thunderball" and "The World Is Not Enough." He's the winner who takes all... But it is such a perfect place to start, my love... that sort of thing.

I also want a return to revealing the next title at the end of each film. No idea why they can't maintain that tradition. I know the title is tied more to marketing than it is to story, but honestly that's something they should be able to figure out by the previous film's release.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Impossible........... but Terence Young and John Barry. I'd want a second Peter Hunt film too.
  • There will not be a Bond film called Property of a Lady. Nor one called The Hildebrand Rarity.

I know a lot of superfans think those titles would be cool. but frankly those fans are going to the cinema regardless. But the average punter down at the multiplex ... I mean think about it. 'hey guys, wanna go see 'Die Another Day', or 'Property of a Lady?' and how do those titles translate for the international markets? not well.

Recall that 'License To Kill' was to be called 'License Revoked,' but market research showed a majority of Americans didn't know what the word 'revoked' means.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    octofinger wrote: »
    There will not be a Bond film called Property of a Lady. Nor one called The Hildebrand Rarity.

I know a lot of superfans think those titles would be cool. but frankly those fans are going to the cinema regardless. But the average punter down at the multiplex ... I mean think about it. 'hey guys, wanna go see 'Die Another Day', or 'Property of a Lady?' and how do those titles translate for the international markets? not well.

Recall that 'License To Kill' was to be called 'License Revoked,' but market research showed a majority of Americans didn't know what the word 'revoked' means.

I wouldn't go banco on that. Quantum of Solace.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    There will not be a Bond film called Property of a Lady. Nor one called The Hildebrand Rarity.

That was likely the last time they'll try that. Sad that they'll alter the permanent title of a film because people don't understand words such as "revoked" or "solace"...or even what a dictionary is.
    Licence Revoked would have been a much better title than the one we got.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That was likely the last time they'll try that. Sad that they'll alter the permanent title of a film because people don't understand words such as "revoked" or "solace"...or even what a dictionary is.

Lol
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Exactly. Nail on head!

I think it was more that they found that Americans associate the phrase with a driving licence.
    vzok wrote: »

I think it was more that they found that Americans associate the phrase with a driving licence.

Yes, I believe that's what it was.

Anyway, I don't see how building or marketing a film with names that hold zero significance for the masses ("Spectre," "Blofeld," "Mr. White") is any better than using words an uneducated few wouldn't understand—heaven forbid someone needs to pull their phone out of their pocket and say, "Siri, define solace." Even if statistics say 53% of Americans don't know what a rarity is and 98% don't know what a Hildebrand is and 12% don't know what the word "the" is, the mysterious nature of the name alone in association with the 007 branding would sell the film at least as well as the word "Spectre." (And I find it very hard to believe that more people know what a spectre—or a specter—is than those who know what a rarity is.)

What's wrong with Property of a Lady? Nothing hard to understand about it and it sounds very Bondian. Would have been a great title for Skyfall.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    CountJohn wrote: »

What's wrong with Property of a Lady? Nothing hard to understand about it and it sounds very Bondian. Would have been a great title for Skyfall.

Or QoS, for that matter. The Property of a Lady is a good title in that it is very versatile. Risico would be much the same. I'm really surprised that they haven't used that one yet.
    A new emphasis on Bond being cultured and make him clearly upper class. Also have him more dressed up, no more t shirts and polos and put him in classic mensware that Connery would have worn.

More emphasis on the romantic element with his always sleeping with the main Bond Girl.

Some kind of post-Cold War story involving ex-Communists while it can still be done.

A main Bond villain who is Bond's physical equal and the two of them fighting in the climax.
    Hugely unlikely but the name of the next movie at the end of the credits! :-bd
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    QOS was since Goldeneye the first Bond movie where end credits role over movie footage. This and with alternate cut of song.

Example Octopussy (with altercate cut of the song)

Goldeneye (with difrent song)
    M_Balje wrote: »
    QOS was since Goldeneye the first Bond movie where end credits role over movie footage. This and with alternate cut of song.

Example Octopussy (with altercate cut of the song)

Goldeneye (with difrent song)

What footage does it roll over?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 16,328
    I'd like to see Bond use a Walther P5 again.
    I'd like to see Bond use a Walther P5 again.
    pistolet_walther_p5.jpg

They only used that in Octopussy at the behest of Walther themselves.
    I'd still like to see Bond use it again. Maybe his personal side arm post Spectre.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I'd still like to see Bond use it again. Maybe his personal side arm post Spectre.
    While Bond doesn't use it, the P5 is used again in LTK by Dario.

Alas, the weapon has not been modified since, and unlike the many variants of the PPK, it's already outdated. Not in the employ of other people's use as far as I know.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm watching SF as I type this.

Get Deakins back. Pay him whatever he wants.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

I would agree with you, but then they made a film called Quantum of Solace.