'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I like Capaldi very much. At least now, another set for Jodi and let's hope the writing is much improved. She deserves that. Fans deserve that.

Jodie deserves better I do like her it's just the material Jodie has been given I am not keen on.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/doctor_who/s11/

That's disparity...

TOMATOMETER
    94%
    AUDIENCE SCORE
    31%
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Abysmal episode. Chibbers has one upped himself.
    I read somewhere that Chibbers first choice for The Doctor (the character being now a women was a CC demand which the BBC relented to) was Olivia Colman. But she turned the role down as she was too bust. One can presume that one of the reasons was filming The Favourite which some insiders will net Olivia the Oscar. Going by how the last series turned Olivia more than made the right choice.
    I read somewhere that Chibbers first choice for The Doctor (the character being now a women was a CC demand which the BBC relented to) was Olivia Colman. But she turned the role down as she was too bust. One can presume that one of the reasons was filming The Favourite which some insiders will net Olivia the Oscar. Going by how the last series turned Olivia more than made the right choice.

Olivia is too big a star now for Dr Who,she is making many films and prefers proper drama,eg Broadchurch,if she does TV.

She used up all her comedy fix on the brilliant Peep Show series.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I had dinner with friends last week. Their 9-year-old daughter was wearing rainbow braces because she's the Doctor now. We had a good discussion of the recent series and she asked me about a classic story she'd read about in her Christmas annual ("Do you remember when there was a man made of sweets and everyone had to be happy?" Yes, yes I do).

Dr Who is doing something right.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Happiness Patrol is one of those stories that deserves a better reputation. Beneath the colourful exterior lies one of the most subversive stories. And lets not forget that scene with the snipers.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I need to give it a rewatch, @MajorDSmythe - I don't think I've seen it since the original run, and I mostly remember being upset about Fifi.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I need to give it a rewatch, @MajorDSmythe - I don't think I've seen it since the original run, and I mostly remember being upset about Fifi.

I wish they had ended it there. The story, I mean, not the show. In the DVD documentary, I think it's Chris Clough, that talks about his original idea to end the episode with Helen A mourning the death of Fifi. What better ending for a story that has such a melancholy feel? For that one story, they should have fought against the inclination for a happy ending.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,104

Certainly a Bond vibe has been attempted here

I'm surprised that 1) Eric Roberts' Master is involved, and 2) Alex McQueen's Master isn't.

I'm surprised that 1) Eric Roberts' Master is involved, and 2) Alex McQueen's Master isn't.

Other than a few random listens on iTunes I am not familiar with many of the Big Finish audio's. I have thought about getting into them though not sure where to start. Where does Alex Mcqueen's Master fit in the Master timeline?

Other than a few random listens on iTunes I am not familiar with many of the Big Finish audio's. I have thought about getting into them though not sure where to start. Where does Alex Mcqueen's Master fit in the Master timeline?

Ah, now that is a question for the ages. To my knowledge, I only follow the McCoy audios (partly because he's my favourite, and partly because I couldn't afford to follow all of BF's DW output), it hasn't been stated. He's first introduced in the 7th Doctor story, Unit: Dominion, where the Doctor doesn't recognise him. But with the wibbly wobbly nature of time, he might have first encountered a Doctor after 7, first.

While it is based on the theory by this one fan, the following video is worth watching:

Makes you wonder about all those Masters that fall in between the ones we have seen.

Ah, now that is a question for the ages. To my knowledge, I only follow the McCoy audios (partly because he's my favourite, and partly because I couldn't afford to follow all of BF's DW output), it hasn't been stated. He's first introduced in the 7th Doctor story, Unit: Dominion, where the Doctor doesn't recognise him. But with the wibbly wobbly nature of time, he might have first encountered a Doctor after 7, first.

While it is based on the theory by this one fan, the following video is worth watching:

Makes you wonder about all those Masters that fall in between the ones we have seen.

I'll watch that video shortly, I'll give McCoy a go first, makes sense to focus on one Doctor, Doctor Who Big Finish content to me at this point is overwhelming.

Regarding the Master, I had a theory about Doctor Falls episode, the way Mofdat wrote the Master death scene was clever as Gomez could be the very last Master, though my theory is there are several Master's in between the Simm and Gomez incarnations.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 13,882
    I'll watch that video shortly, I'll give McCoy a go first, makes sense to focus on one Doctor, Doctor Who Big Finish content to me at this point is overwhelming.

Regarding the Master, I had a theory about Doctor Falls episode, the way Mofdat wrote the Master death scene was clever as Gomez could be the very last Master, though my theory is there are several Master's in between the Simm and Gomez incarnations.

I don't remember much about the Master/Missy's death, other than they turned on one another. The Master has come back from being out of regenerations on at least two occasions, both the Peter Pratt and Eric Roberts Masters, were at the end their regeneration cycle. So it might not be Missy, but we will definitely see the Master onscreen again, at some point.

I don't remember much about the Master/Missy's death, other than they turned on one another. The Master has come back from being out of regenerations on at least two occasions, both the Peter Pratt and Eric Roberts Masters, were at the end their regeneration cycle. So it might not be Missy, but we will definitely see the Master onscreen again, at some point.

Interesting video it's almost impossible to have a Master timeline comparable to the Doctors.

I have not come across this YouTube channel previously I'll check out the other content.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 13,882

Interesting video it's almost impossible to have a Master timeline comparable to the Doctors.

I have not come across this YouTube channel previously I'll check out the other content.

Oh god, yes, hats of to CaptainJimPie. I wouldn't know where to begin, when compiling a timeline of the Masters. I guess it would have to start with the James Dreyfus version of the Master.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,416
    Some goodnews for Dutch/Belgium fans, Limelights Pictures wil release Season 11 on 08 February on dvd in The Netherlands who also wil include special episode. Earlier there are only some volumes sets of Doctor Who.

9200000104764417.jpg

''Limelights Pictures'' releasing earlier The Saint s1&2. First in 3 boxsets in 2011 and later there release in total 12 discs in one box. I collect the 3 boxsets. There also the studio who release Midsomer Murders tv series for the BBC.

It is unknown how much disc this one boxset of Dr Who wil have, but i can imagine that like Midsomer Murders if there is enough intrest there wil release s12 too. Expect 3 or 4 keepcase boxset and no bonusmaterial.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 12,837

That was exactly what I thought watching it too. He did everything he could to make it seem like a definite end (by saying she can't regenerate) but at the same time, he kept it ambiguous about whether or not Gomez actually follows Simm (doesn't show the regeneration, and doesn't she say she can't really remember?). So that really is the end of the character, but there's room for an infinite amount of others in between. Really clever I thought.

I think that when they eventually bring the master back it'll be a new one and they won't want to get bogged down in details, and the doctor wasn't there for the death scene anyway, so it's not like the master would have to do any explaining, it won't really matter either way. I think it'll be kept ambiguous and left up to the viewer to decide. But for me Missy is the last one. It was just a perfect ending.

To be honest my first thought after watching it was, if they ever want to use the character again, they could just bring Simm back. I've always thought that he was really underused since he's such a good actor, and he was brilliant in that last episode. Maybe he made it to some space hospital and got patched up. If they wanted to keep the consequence of the ending make it so it was a poison blade and it's slowly killing him or something. Again no reason to explain all this really specifically, just have him show up and say he's slowly dying from a stab wound, he wouldn't remember it was Missy, and the doctor didn't see, so no reason to alienate new/casual viewers.

Then, when Simm is done, have him regenerate into a new actor and go from there. Keep Gomez in the far future as the actual last one.

Oh god, yes, hats of to CaptainJimPie. I wouldn't know where to begin, when compiling a timeline of the Masters. I guess it would have to start with the James Dreyfus version of the Master.

I watched some more of CaptainJimPie fan theories, he has some good ideas... When I recently did a binge watch of the the majority of Classic Who it's quite incredible how many proto Masters appear before Delgado.

That was exactly what I thought watching it too. He did everything he could to make it seem like a definite end (by saying she can't regenerate) but at the same time, he kept it ambiguous about whether or not Gomez actually follows Simm (doesn't show the regeneration, and doesn't she say she can't really remember?). So that really is the end of the character, but there's room for an infinite amount of others in between. Really clever I thought.

I think that when they eventually bring the master back it'll be a new one and they won't want to get bogged down in details, and the doctor wasn't there for the death scene anyway, so it's not like the master would have to do any explaining, it won't really matter either way. I think it'll be kept ambiguous and left up to the viewer to decide. But for me Missy is the last one. It was just a perfect ending.

To be honest my first thought after watching it was, if they ever want to use the character again, they could just bring Simm back. I've always thought that he was really underused since he's such a good actor, and he was brilliant in that last episode. Maybe he made it to some space hospital and got patched up. If they wanted to keep the consequence of the ending make it so it was a poison blade and it's slowly killing him or something. Again no reason to explain all this really specifically, just have him show up and say he's slowly dying from a stab wound, he wouldn't remember it was Missy, and the doctor didn't see, so no reason to alienate new/casual viewers.

Then, when Simm is done, have him regenerate into a new actor and go from there. Keep Gomez in the far future as the actual last one.

Moffat did well to write episodes that could be or are key moments in Canon, and despite his detractors he did write good episodes that are subtle enough to get the audience thinking. Unfortunately that was sadly lacking with the last season.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,104
    Doctor Who: Which Doctor lived the longest?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/doctor-who-which-doctor-lived-the-longest/ar-BBSQiI5?ocid=spartandhp

I love the idea that the number 1 selection lived that long.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/doctor-who-which-doctor-lived-the-longest/ar-BBSQiI5?ocid=spartandhp

Wow... that's an achievement.

Didn't the War Doctor live for hundreds of years? The Time War went on for a very long time.

If we take the Big Finish audios into account, the Eighth Doctor also lived for a few hundred years (at least).
    I think the life spans of each Doctor are debatable though thought the article was a fun read.

Interesting comments by Jodie, James Bond is mentioned
    From the Daily Mirror :

Doctor Who set for massive change next series over fall in ratings.

It seems Doctor Who will be taking her shortest time trip ever, from a Sunday to Saturday…

BBC bosses are planning on moving the show to its original evening slot after a steady ratings slide during Jodie ­Whittaker’s debut series.

The Sunday run kicked off with 8.2 million viewers in October but had slipped to 5.2 million for the last episode in December
    It seems Doctor Who will be taking her shortest time trip ever, from a Sunday to Saturday…

BBC bosses are planning on moving the show to its original evening slot after a steady ratings slide during Jodie ­Whittaker’s debut series.

The Sunday run kicked off with 8.2 million viewers in October but had slipped to 5.2 million for the last episode in December
    Returning to Saturdays is being discussed as a likely option.”

The series averaged a respectable 5.7 million across the 10 episodes.
    Episodes for the new Doctor Who series, out early next year, are already being filmed.

Whittaker’s run had a mixed response. Some said storylines were too politically correct but others loved the joy she brought.

Personally,i still wont be watching it no matter what day it is on.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'll give it a chance. Enjoyed the last season 'to a degree', but absolutely loved Kerblam! That felt like a Tennant/Smith episode.
    So they think the problem is the day it runs on the telly?

Boy oh boy...
    The night it is aired is not the issue with the show.